Announcement

Collapse
See more
See less

Tower of Terror story revealed!!!

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Re: Tower of Terror story revealed!!!

    Originally posted by nish221
    I'll wait until this ride is actually finished (and TDLFAN gives his review!) before making any impressions/decisions about it.
    That should be interesting since I find both MGM and DCA's TOTs to be highly overrated.

    Comment


    • #62
      Re: Tower of Terror story revealed!!!

      Originally posted by TDLFAN
      That should be interesting since I find both MGM and DCA's TOTs to be highly overrated.
      Hm. That's interesting. Because I pretty much agree (I think). I think they are both
      excellent rides (and the theming at MGM is very good & DCA good), but I don't think they're "out of this world" like some of the commentary that I've read here. Definitely, "over-rated" IMHO.

      Comment


      • #63
        Re: Tower of Terror story revealed!!!

        Originally posted by nish221
        Hm. That's interesting. Because I pretty much agree (I think). I think they are both
        excellent rides (and the theming at MGM is very good & DCA good), but I don't think they're "out of this world" like some of the commentary that I've read here. Definitely, "over-rated" IMHO.
        difference of opinion...I think MGM's ToT is the best ride Disney has ever made.
        -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
        I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

        Comment


        • #64
          Re: Tower of Terror story revealed!!!

          Originally posted by pyrateslife4me84
          difference of opinion...I think MGM's ToT is the best ride Disney has ever made.
          As you said..difference of opinion, especially if you are in the younger crowd, who will gladly take the thrill over the substance...and Disney's excellence should be in the quality of the substance, more than the thrill, which is why Mission:Space fell flat, and Everest will become an instant classic.

          Comment


          • #65
            Re: Tower of Terror story revealed!!!

            Originally posted by TDLFAN
            As you said..difference of opinion, especially if you are in the younger crowd, who will gladly take the thrill over the substance...and Disney's excellence should be in the quality of the substance, more than the thrill, which is why Mission:Space fell flat, and Everest will become an instant classic.
            These are opinions, so if you think that way, it's fine. However, I think ToT has a lot of substance. For one thing, it has one of the most (if not the most) detailed queue ever made. The whole building itself (MGM version) is a piece of art. The pre-show is also one of the best around (imo). Now the ride itself trully depends on whether or not you like that type of ride, but either way, with the music & visuals, I think they do a great job of really bringing up the suspension.
            Also, Mission:Space has not fell flat. It is one of the most popular rides in Epcot? Why doesn't it get the 120 minute waits of Soarin' & TT, because it loads faster....I don't know the exact figure, but it is about 40 people every minute (about 2400/hr or double TT's ~1200/hr). Even on NYE (with all 4 pods running) it had a 100 minute wait.
            “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

            Comment


            • #66
              Re: Tower of Terror story revealed!!!

              Originally posted by askmike1
              For one thing, it has one of the most (if not the most) detailed queue ever made. The whole building itself (MGM version) is a piece of art. The pre-show is also one of the best around (imo).
              For WDW standards? Yes. But there are better queues out there at other Disney parks. JTTCOTE's for example is to me the quintessential Disney queue and overall best queue Disney ever built. ...and for what I have seen so far, even Everest's queue is much better than TOT's. Then there is Indy's queue.. and for the look of it so far, TDS' TOT will blow MGM's version off the map with it's detailed and lavish theming to match the rest of that particular park. You can see this already in the delicate details exposed on the exterior of that TOT.

              Originally posted by askmike1
              Mission:Space has not fell flat. It is one of the most popular rides in Epcot? Why doesn't it get the 120 minute waits of Soarin' & TT, because it loads faster....
              Gee, and here I was thinking the reason why Mission Space doesn't see long lines is because the majority of the guests who ride it have said once was enough. Let's face it...Mission: Space has been a sour addition to EPCOT. The appeal there is limited due to it's intensity, and only those young enough to enjoy this G-force fest are the ones running to the entrance to ride again. Of cource... Disney would never admit to failure in regards to this.

              Originally posted by askmike1
              Even on NYE (with all 4 pods running) it had a 100 minute wait.
              You only see that kind of wait on Xmas week Mike, and if it wasn't because of FP...the wait for everyone would be a mere 40 mins. Keep in mind Soarin' was reaching near 4hr waits in their stand by line on that same day in the afternoon (I was there...I know this for a fact) ...so you can see why Space is to me a failure. Of cource, Soarin's capacity does have an impact but you can clearly see which attraction is more popular with guests.
              Last edited by TDLFAN; 01-21-2006, 06:56 AM.

              Comment


              • #67
                Re: Tower of Terror story revealed!!!

                I'll say this and then nothing else (because this is off-topic). Mission: Space is not a failure. I personally have seen all ages flock to this ride (from the very young kids to the not-so-young adults). During the summer months, its wait holds at a steady 20 minutes while TT holds at a steady 70 minutes. On first glance, you would rightfully call M:S a failure. However, we have to take somethings into account. First of all, M:S has double the HRC, so let's bump up its numbers to 40 minutes. Then of course, Test Track does something more than any other Disney ride....it breaks down (and we aren't talking about SSE-like stops. Due to its safety system, it shuts down often & for large periods of time...and if there's a lightning bolt anywhere near.....). So with Mission: Space, there will never be a long line unless a mob of people come at the same exact time. And as for repeat business, minus the occasional "protein spills" (mostly due to people not following the directions), I have heard nothing but good comments from the people there.
                “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

                Comment


                • #68
                  Re: Tower of Terror story revealed!!!

                  I won't get into the heat of this debate but concerning themed queues, I would say that there isn't a queue that has as MUCH as Tower of Terror, and I would say that DCA and MGM's queues are just about equal. They are definitely some of the best queues out there. Journey to the Center of the Earth is very well done but it doesn't have quite as much to keep you entertained. The glass cases before the elevators are spectacular and the magma at the very start of the queue is cool, and the elevators are awesome but there are some parts where you will just be looking at the hand rail, but it is still a great queue (I love the teacup on that spinning operator chair thing right before you get on the ride). As for the best? It's impossible for me to decide but these two are probably the two best that I could think of.

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Re: Tower of Terror story revealed!!!

                    a debate about queues? wow, this is a you-know-you're-a-disney-geek-when moment.

                    Can we hold off on the MGM-TDS ToT comparissons until the latter has opened please? It's really just not fair. plus, if you factor in when the two were built, they really shouldn't be compared...at least not yet.

                    I actually kind of doubt Everest becoming an instant classic since most people might see it as "just another roller coaster" and a very lackluster one at that. It doesn't take advantage of the whole Yeti concept as much as it should to be really memorable.

                    Mission: Space is a diamond that will forever be in the rough. It's an awesome experience that will never be appreciated enough because of it's downright ugly "casing".

                    The only reason Soarin' is getting so much more attention than the rest of EPCOT is because it is a) technically brand new, virtually nobody knew of its existence in the dissapointing DCA and b) it is being heavily pimped as part of Disney's big celebration, plus it's the only real ride in the 3 "new" things in WDW.

                    TDR will obviously have a hit in ToT. It's Hunny Hunt part deux. And to that I am very happy for OLC.

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Re: Tower of Terror story revealed!!!

                      Originally posted by DisneySeaFan
                      Journey to the Center of the Earth is very well done but it doesn't have quite as much to keep you entertained. The glass cases before the elevators are spectacular and the magma at the very start of the queue is cool, and the elevators are awesome but there are some parts where you will just be looking at the hand rail.
                      No no no! It's not about the railing and what you see... It's about what you feel... The rumbling of the volcano above, the music in the background...the sounds of drilling etc etc... THAT's what I am talking about. But I still concider the visuals even more stunning than the elevator boilers backroom at TOT.

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Re: Tower of Terror story revealed!!!

                        Plus, to add more fuel to the fire, I hate DCA's boiler room's lighting scheme. The colors are too fantasy based, and seeing the lighting equipment ruins the suspension of disbelief. That was the nail in the coffin for me there.

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          Re: Tower of Terror story revealed!!!

                          Originally posted by TDLFAN
                          No no no! It's not about the railing and what you see... It's about what you feel... The rumbling of the volcano above, the music in the background...the sounds of drilling etc etc... THAT's what I am talking about. But I still concider the visuals even more stunning than the elevator boilers backroom at TOT.
                          Yes the ambience makes it a spectacular queue and that's how it can easily measure up to TOT and it's hard for me to decide the better one. After going through Journey to the Center of the Earth four times in a day, I'm just mostly idling after the elevator ride, but it's still a great queue. Tower of Terror's realism is good but doesn't measure up to Journey's but TOT makes up for it in the sheer amount of things to see.

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            Re: Tower of Terror story revealed!!!

                            Will this ride be any different to me if I've ridden the DCA version? Do you think it will become the best ride at the park?
                            ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Re: Tower of Terror story revealed!!!

                              Originally posted by TDR_Fan
                              Will this ride be any different to me if I've ridden the DCA version? Do you think it will become the best ride at the park?
                              Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yes! Look at the link in the first post on this thread. Read the story and look at all the pictures, this ride is completely different. I think that Journey to the Center of the Earth will still be the best ride in the park but that is my opinion!

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                Re: Tower of Terror story revealed!!!

                                Originally posted by TDR_Fan
                                Do you think it will become the best ride at the park?
                                I think it's pointless to even ask this at this time. No one has ridden it yet! Once it's opened..then I will let you know my opinion on it.

                                Comment


                                • #76
                                  Re: Tower of Terror story revealed!!!

                                  Originally posted by TDLFAN
                                  I think it's pointless to even ask this at this time. No one has ridden it yet! Once it's opened..then I will let you know my opinion on it.
                                  Is there any chance of me riding it in July?
                                  ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

                                  Comment


                                  • #77
                                    Re: Tower of Terror story revealed!!!

                                    Originally posted by TDLFAN
                                    For WDW standards? Yes. But there are better queues out there at other Disney parks. JTTCOTE's for example is to me the quintessential Disney queue and overall best queue Disney ever built. ...and for what I have seen so far, even Everest's queue is much better than TOT's. Then there is Indy's queue.. and for the look of it so far, TDS' TOT will blow MGM's version off the map with it's detailed and lavish theming to match the rest of that particular park. You can see this already in the delicate details exposed on the exterior of that TOT.





                                    Which Indy are you talking about? Looking at pictures, I can say that I prefer the TDS version because it has a lot more detail than the Disneyland queue even though it lacks interactive elements. Nothing can compare to the massive room with beautiful fresco paintings and stone statues pouring water from their mouths. The paintings are a lot more fun to look at then the stone walls in the Disneyland queue. I also like the skeletons at the bottom which I think is more effective than the ones in the spike room of the Disneyland version. The mirror reflection thing also looks really cool! Then there is the outside "dig site" part of the queue which is also better than the Disneyland version...
                                    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

                                    Comment


                                    • #78
                                      Re: Tower of Terror story revealed!!!

                                      Originally posted by TDR_Fan
                                      Is there any chance of me riding it in July?
                                      Only if you GO TO JAPAN and get your butty to TDR.

                                      Comment


                                      • #79
                                        Re: Tower of Terror story revealed!!!

                                        Originally posted by TDLFAN
                                        Only if you GO TO JAPAN and get your butty to TDR.
                                        Yes! You're knowledgeable being a fan and all before you go (you can tell a good resort when you see one, at least that's what I think) but really you need to go and make your own opinions. Just go! Don't make us ruin all of the surprises for you. I would think that the ride could be opening in July, or maybe not. Raging Spirits opened in July last year and I just feel like this one will open at that time as well but I don't know for sure.

                                        Comment


                                        • #80
                                          Re: Tower of Terror story revealed!!!

                                          http://www.jtcent.com/disneysea/american/amwtot.html 25 new pics.
                                          And more comes down, looking great.

                                          Comment

                                          Working...
                                          X