X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Trip Report : 7 Sept 08 to 11 Sept 08

Originally posted by ichigopara View Post
    I think what he meant to say is that some Japanese guests feel that the parade feels like it was designed for an American park and did not take into consideration that it was for a Japanese audience.
    THAT'S why the parade's been bothering me since I first saw videos of it! I could never figure it out and just came at it from a subjective view where the floats were beautiful but the music let me down. Now I know what it is about the parade that was bothering me this entire time!

Thank you so much! I can breathe easier now whenever I look at these beautiful pictures of it.
    WARNING: Any opinions expressed by this user are wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by ZeekSlider View Post
      What do you mean by "not Japanese enough?"
      Don't ask me. I am just quoting what I have heard from other TDR fans locally... I haven't got a clue what made the previous parades "enough japanese" over this one..

EDIT!! I think Ichigopara provided the insight on that issue.
      Last edited by TDLFAN; 10-15-2008, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by luckyone View Post
        hmm idk but i ABSOLUTELY LOVE JUBILATION! its amazing and very creative this parade and the disneylands 50th anniversary parade are the bests ones ive seen in my life
        You must be a very young person... However, I do enjoy "Jubilation" as well... but I do believe it is all over the place thematically and artistically, and that may be a reason why the japanese audience may find it a bit odd at first. I do believe they will get used to it and in the end, embrace it.
        As for me.. well.. Jubilation is a great effort, compared again to what we see at the MK now a days..but I think DL's Parade of Dreams, or even DLP's 15th Anniversary "Once Upon a Dream" Parade are better suited to the preferences of the japanese fans.
        Now speaking of great parades my dear Luckyone... well, you will never see a truly spectacular Disney parade the likes of the ones I have seen in my lifetime... such as the MK/DL's "Bicentennial Parade" in 1976, or TDL's "Disney Carnivale" in 1998. Now those were truly inspired parades of epic proportions...

Comment

yes im young lol very but been a disney fans by at least going once a year (for geting to the USA parks it gets me a 3 hour flight) anyways i loved TDL and DL, WDW i also lke it but it think my favorites till now its TDL and DL
          Trips:
          DLR: 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2009 may
          WDW: 1993,1994, 1995, 1997, 1999, 2000, 2004, 2006, 2011
          DLP: 1996, 2002, June 2009
          TDL: July 2008, July 2010
          HKDL: wishing it will be soon

Comment

So after the parade, I'm going to throw out some pictures in a somewhat random order.

Halloween decorations at the central plaza

Hidden mickey while waiting for the parade

Comment

Big thunder mountain taken from the train on the Great Western Railway

Pictures of the castle

We loved Buzz of course

And Jungle cruise, although we did not understand a word.

Comment

Make sure you stop to eat at the Pan Galactic Pizza Port in tomorrowland.

The pizzas are good, but the "show" is funny and entertaining. Sit at the 2nd floor for the best views of Tony, his Pizza making machine and the trouble he gets up to.

Comment

Walking around in Adventureland and Westernland

This looks more like a Japanese temple then a tiki tower ?

View of the castle from Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse

Splash mountain

Mark twain Riverboat

Halloween decoration

Country Bear theatre, which was a nice place to enjoy to beat the crowds in the middle of the day.

Comment

Wow, for a second there I thought they made Tony bald, but his hand was just blocking his hair.
                    WARNING: Any opinions expressed by this user are wrong.

Comment

Great report!
                      Check out my page at www.myspace.com/wheresmickey

Check out my pin collection at www.pinpics.com. User name is WheresMickey

Comment

Wow, very interesting comments by everyone regarding Jubilation!

As for the comments about it not being "Japanese enough" and not a hit with them...I find that interesting.
                        I really suggest reading the article with Creative Director Steven Davison on Jubilation! I won't say the magazine it's in, but it's done by a fellow Disney fan site...
                        In the article, Steven basically tells why Jubilation! is so different, and why he created it that way. He is trying to get the Japanese audience (as well US and other audiences) not stuck to seeing Disney parades only one way...he wants to change it up. With Tokyo, he noticed there is a lot of repetition with their parades, and things such as character placement, music styling, and even concepts start to get repeated over and over. For example, the Peter Pan float...they said he had to add in Pirate dancers...he said that wasn't the point. The point was to keep the attention on the stunts high above, and Pirate dancers would be the typical way to go...

As for the design being very different, he hired artist Ilene Meyer to design. Check out her website...it shows why the parade looks the way it does.
                        M E Y E R W O R L D

Perhaps the previous parade was so popular that it was just going to be a very tough act to follow? Perhaps they are just so use to character usage and placement within a certain style, that something so different was just bound to not please some? All valid complaints and issues, but I still wonder, because we all always talked about how TDR was one of the only places Disney could go a bit more outside the box and the audience would be more willing to accept that.

I actually commend Steven and team on trying to do something different with each parade. Not every parade has to be unit after unit of one animated film after another, with the same films represented all the time. I think it's time to for the classic Disney parade to evolve...and I hope the US parks get a dose of that. I don't see why a more avant garde, abstract style, such as the color palette and the design of the rhino, etc. couldn't work in the US.
                        Last edited by tcsnwhite; 12-02-2008, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Please understand my comments in regards to "Jubilation" are based on what I hear from other japanese fans and not written law. My japanese friends are the ones who have told me the parade did not click with them at all, and found it.. "messy". I somewhat I agree with the messy comment but artistically, it's quite fabulous. Plus, for the record: I DO love this parade.

Comment

Great photos and it looks like you had a wonderful time!
                            <3 There are a million cupcakes in the world but only one is Cupcake Terror. <3

I AM THE REBEL SPY.

Comment

Working...
                            X