X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ImagineerWaryur
    replied
    Re: How Did Tokyo Disneyland Come to Be?

Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
    BTW.. great info up there Waryur..
    Thanks TDL,

I think Blue Sky loves Tokyo as much as you. They publish a lot of stuff on it, but in a fair and balanced way without sounding like a fan boy.

Me, I love the Resort too. I won't go all out WDW bashing, although I know it needs some work. I will say that since Lasseter arrived we seem to be getting rides that are close or at the level of Tokyo and that is great news. I've seen some stuff about Cars and Mermaid that make me have hope for Disneyland. Now if we can get this economy to stop being a drag WDW can get a little TLC as well.

ImagineerWarrior

Leave a comment:

• TDLFAN
    replied

That is your problem people. You read what you want to read when the name "TDLFAN" appears on the thread.

BTW.. great info up there Waryur..

Leave a comment:

• lonegungirl
    replied

Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I do not recall saying WDI "cheapened" out by recycling some of the previous plans from DL and the MK into TDL.. so read my statement again.
    Oops--sorry. I thought "recycled" was being used pejoratively.

Leave a comment:

• ImagineerWaryur
    replied

I believe the Blue Sky article mentions that Disney gets 5% of the gate and 10% of merchandise and food sales. It's also required to use Walt Disney Imagineering when designing any new attractions. I recall that as being the agreement for Tokyo Disneyland. I don't know how or if it was amended when the park became a resort and added Tokyo DisneySEA. To show you how the Japanese love Disney, the Walt Disney Company makes hundreds of millions of dollars from this agreement, so you can imagine what the Oriental Land Company makes.

ImagineerWarrior

Leave a comment:

• FigmentLover
    replied

Thank you all for bringing in such information!

Disneyland does not get any profits from OLC. The Walt Disney Co. does.
    Good catch. My mind was thinking just Disney, but my fingers typed the additional "land"

First, try 'Riding the Black Ship'. It should be available on Amazon.com.
    Thanks for the referral, Another Voice; I'll check it out

Leave a comment:

• DreamSweetsLove
    replied

This is a really interesting thread thanks for starting it!

Leave a comment:

• ImagineerWaryur
    replied

Early this year, Blue Sky Disney published a two-part article that traced the history of the Oriental Land Company and the creation of Disneyland, the Disney Resort and DisneySEA.

Part 1: Blue Sky Disney: Tales Of The Orient...

Part 2: http://blueskydisney.blogspot.com/20...-orient-2.html

ImagineerWarrior

Leave a comment:

• TDLFAN
    replied

Originally posted by lonegungirl View Post
    I'm not sure I would necessarily think that WDI was cheaping out by recycling WDW and DL elements for TDL--my understanding was that Japan wanted a pretty close copy of what was already there, to the point where, when Imagineering wanted to correct small errors of perspective, etc., they were told to redo it so it looked like the original.

My knowledge is all anecdotal of course, so it could be wrong--but it does fit with my personal observations of the Japanese sensibilities.
    I do not recall saying WDI "cheapened" out by recycling some of the previous plans from DL and the MK into TDL.. so read my statement again.

Leave a comment:

• Another Voice
    replied

First, try 'Riding the Black Ship'. It should be available on Amazon.com. The book is basically about "evil American Cultural Imperialism" as inflicted by Disneyland, but it has its moments. The book, if I recall correctly, has a brief history of the TDL project from the Japanese side. The government wanted to encourage the development of recreational and tourist assets in the country, JR and others had a very expensive landfill and lots of local politicians had there hands out. If I recall correctly there were several minor scandals involving the early stages of the project.

The OLC wanted their DisneylandFranceAmerica. TDL has been so successful because they have taken all of Disney's very American concepts and tweaked them in subtle and not-so-subtle ways to fit their Japanese audience.

The original concept for World Bazaar was an example of this. As has been said, TokyoU.S.). And it was supposed to be a true international street with shops and restaurants from many different regions of the world.

Disneyland and MagicKingdomTokyo should also have a Main Street

Leave a comment:

• lonegungirl
    replied

I'm not sure I would necessarily think that WDI was cheaping out by recycling WDW and DL elements for TDL--my understanding was that Japan wanted a pretty close copy of what was already there, to the point where, when Imagineering wanted to correct small errors of perspective, etc., they were told to redo it so it looked like the original.

My knowledge is all anecdotal of course, so it could be wrong--but it does fit with my personal observations of the Japanese sensibilities.

Leave a comment:

• TDLFAN
    replied

WOW!! You are the 3rd person today to have posted their very first post in the TDR section!! I think it's great to see so many new fellow micechatters coming out in this particular section of Micechat... especially because we all know how great TDR is and it is a shame that many western people do not get the chance to experience it. So welcome to MC FigmentLover!

Now, I will be the first one to say I am quite ignorant about the inner story of how TDR came to be... but all I know is that Oriental Land Co. came to Walt Disney Co. at a time when they were looking for amusement opportunities in the newly established and rapidly growing suburb of Urayasu. I think it was OLC that proposed to Disney to build a Disneyland there.
    I also believe that Disney was not all that sure about such venture. As far as I know, the whole deal was a private matter as opposed to anything related with goverment doings as has been the case with DLP and HKDL. Ultimately.. Disney decided to give it a go ahead but since they were navigating uncharted waters so to speak... they entered into an agreement with OLC in which OLC would own and operate the park under Disney's supervision, and where Disney would only get royalty fees from merchandise and ticketing .... as far as I know. I guess Disney was affraid to go into a venture that would leave them in the red, since no one seemed to have known how the japanese would recieve this type of american-style theme park over there.

I understand that Oriental Land Company owns and operates the resort and Disneyland just gets a percentage of profits

Disneyland does not get any profits from OLC. The Walt Disney Co. does.

Did the government or politics help or hinder the project?

As far as I know, there were no political or governmental intervension, nor anything that hindered the prospects of the park opening in Tokyo.

[quote]

How was the project affected by OLC?

[quote] As far as I know, OLC wanted to offer a totally american experience to the japanese and allowed Disney Imagineering freedom to create the park... but what did WDE do? They used recycled plans from DL and the MK to build TDL, with some interesting twists, like World Bazaar's canopy, which was created because TDL would become the first Disneyland park to operate in weather conditions that can see the posibility of snow, typhoon weather, very humid heat and even torrential rains. I think that was one of the very few things that OLC may have influenced Disney.... but not sure if that was the case.

What did Disney or the OLC do that made Tokyo Disneyland so successful in marketing the park to its audience?
    IMO... Disney provided what they knew how to do best. OLC provided the japanese atittudes of offering quality and great service in a customer service enviroment (which is something that has somewhat eroded in the USA parks now a days...). Disney's magical product conbined with japanese culture and business sensibilities is what has made TDR so succesful over the last 26 years. Of course.. lately Disney has been advising OLC about several initiatives that have seen the resort loose a bit of steam.. As you know, there is always a Disney manager assigned to Tokyo and that seems to be the umbilical cord of disgrace right now. Still, OLC has not allowed the park to wager much from what they know they can do.. and the realize the japanese audience is quite demanding and have always been keen to surpass guests' expectations.. (again, something that has been lost in the current management at Disney in the USA).

Does Disney have any voting power in the arrangement?
    Seems to me Disney can only advise OLC on what to do with the park's operation, but seems to me OLC is more than willing to hear Disney's opinions on their operation. I may be wrong... this is only an assessment in my part. Bottom line is... OLC has the money to do whatever they want with TDR and Disney is more than willing to use that money to give back to them, which is why we have fantastic attractions at TDL (Hunny Hunt) or Disney's most accomplished and lavish 2nd gate ever built with TDS.

How did the project positively or negatively affect the country and the area around the resort?
    I do not think this project has had any negative impact on the country or even in the area of Urayasu. Seems to me the japanese have embraced TDR as their very own child and love it with a passion that is not quite matched by anyone. The fact that the park has been so sucessful is testament of that.

Leave a comment:

• FigmentLover
    started a topic [Question] How Did Tokyo Disneyland Come to Be?

How Did Tokyo Disneyland Come to Be?

Hello everyone.

I've been a lurker on Micechat for years, but finally decided to try my first post.

Disneyland's history is almost mythical as Walt's playground, with anecdotes about everything from the trains to the concrete to the gaslamps on Main Street. Walt Disney World was the company's attempt to create a larger destination that both improved on Disneyland and brought Walt's dream of EPCOT into reality, though the latter never quite lived up to the domed city of the future Walt had envisioned. Euro Disneyland started with France giving Disney a great deal on the land and creating necessary infrastructure, but misunderstanding the park's audience, politics, and bad press nearly killed the park and it still struggles to make a profit.

But what is the history of Tokyo Disneyland?

I understand that Oriental Land Company owns and operates the resort and Disneyland just gets a percentage of profits, but how did the negotiations work?

Did the government or politics help or hinder the project? How was the project affected by OLC? What did Disney or the OLC do that made Tokyo Disneyland so successful in marketing the park to its audience? Does Disney have any voting power in the arrangement? How did the project positively or negatively affect the country and the area around the resort?

If anyone can share the history of how the resort was born or can recommend a book that can answer these questions, I would greatly appreciate it!
Working...
X