Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] First Trip next week--Help!

Hello Everybody!

After years of waiting, I finally have a chance to visit TDR--in just a few days! I have a few questions that maybe some of you experts can help me with.

I only have three spare days in Tokyo--Sunday, January 4; Monday, January 5; and Tuesday, January 6. I want to visit TDR on two consecutive days and take a brief look at Tokyo on the third. Which two days should I visit TDR, and which park should I see on which day? As a veteran of WDW, DLR and Disneyland Paris, I know this kind of planning can make a big difference!

I can't believe that the parks will be as crowded as everyone says, since the weather is so cold, but are crowd conditions enough to avoid visiting on Sunday? I notice that the Indiana Jones ride (one of my favorites at DL) will be shut down starting that Monday--so I guess I would have preferred to go to DisneySea on Sunday...

I will be staying at a hotel right across from Tokyo Station. Can anyone tell me how long it will take to get to TDR, both on a weekend and a weekday? I want to be at the parks when they open, at 8 AM, each day.

After many, many visits at US parks, I have never encountered crowds so bad that ticket sales were limited, but I guess this happens in Tokyo all the time? Usually I like to buy my tickets the day I use them, but should I try to order them now over the internet to be sure of getting in, or at least of avoiding a very long line at the gate?

I may have more questions later, but I really, really appreciate any advice you can give me. It's my first trip to Japan and I can't wait!

Sincerely,
    Brer Rabbit (JMG75)
    Chicago, IL, USA

Re: First Trip next week--Help!

You do realize you are visiting during a holiday week at TDR... "New year Holidays" event. The parks are crowded with guests who are on new year vacation. This is also an unique time to visit because the parks are decorated in traditional japanese decor and there will be special entertainment as well... all of that is magnet for fanatic crowds. Expect the parks to be packed to the gils. Furthermore, I suggest you get your tickets ASAP so garranty admission. Or else, get there no later than one hour before parks' opening time and get a ticket at the window before there is a chance of closure due to reaching capacity.
    DO NOT make te mistake to compare TDR with the US parks.. or even Paris. TDR parks are entirely a different experience in regards to guests behaviors and how they operated and manage the crowds. If you must go, I suggest you do it on a weekday, and avoid saturdays and sundays. Many first timers are usually shocked by how crowded TDR parks can be and how they are managed. If you are not knowledgeable about using Fastpass and or other unique park rules and operations, it can be quite overwhelming. So prepare mentally for crowded conditions and long wait times for everything.
    Get there early so you can take advantage of time and less crowded conditions in the morning hours. That is the best advise I can offer.

Comment

TDLFAN is absolutely right: avoid Sunday.

If you want to take a look at how busy the parks are right now, go over to Deep Disney () and click on the uppermost red button on the left (you'll see the letters TDR). Take a look at the crowds! Scroll down and click on the images of the tip boards from each park and see that the lines are two to three hours long for all major attractions.

Avoid Sunday!

But it will be very crowded anyway, and even getting there an hour early (before gate opening) and working FastPass well, your options to avoid long lines at the major attractions will diminish by 10:30 am. So, make dead certain what attractions you want to see and head for them first and second (ride one and get a FastPass for another).

Don't bother with Indy: it's virtually the same as in Anaheim (and not as good in my opinion). Spend your time on the UNIQUE rides only available at DisneySea, like:
      Journey to the Center of the Earth,
      20,000 Leagues Under the Sea,
      Magic Lantern Theater
      Tower of Terror (you really should do it to see the new story and theming)

In Tokyo Disneyland, head straight for Pooh's Hunny Hunt, ride it immediately, then head straight for Splash Mountain (the best version of that ride at any park).

When everything seems terribly busy and you can't face the lines, do the Mickey Mouse Revue--it's going to close for good in May and it will be your only chance to see one of the opening attractions from Walt Disney World. Also, you might enjoy the new show with Stitch at the Tiki Room, and the Country Bear Jamboree (in Japanese). No long waits there. The Mark Twain also usually has a managable wait, and the Indian village and animals on the shore are far superior to anything in Orlando or Anaheim.

And dress warmly! The wind off the ocean (and bay) really goes right through your clothes.
      Last edited by Fukai; 12-20-2008, 01:32 PM. Reason: Fixing typs
      Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Fukai View Post
        TDLFAN is absolutely right: avoid Sunday.
        I am always right.

Don't bother with Indy: it's virtually the same as in Anaheim (and not as good in my opinion).
        I disagree. TDS' Indy does offer a slightly different theming and upgraded special effects. It's just as good as DL's so DO NOT MISS IT. You have come too far to miss it.

Comment

TDLFan and Fukai,

Thank you so much for your insight. I simply could not believe the photos of the "wait times" sign showing a 180-minute wait for Splash Mountain! I cannot even imagine the space required to corral all those people!

Unfortunately, my schedule now will force me to go on Sunday and Monday; I have an engagement Tuesday evening that would prevent me from spending all of that day in one of the parks. But arriving before the parks open, using fastpasses, and knowing which rides are popular with Japanese visitors is a big help. Which park do you think would be better to see on the more-crowded Sunday, and which should I save for Monday? (I cannot believe that Disney needs to know which park I will be visiting on which day!)

I will be ordering my tickets soon. The official website says the tickets will be available for me to collect at the "Welcome Center." Is this just outside the parks' entrance? Will there be a long line to pick them up? And would it be possible to pick them up at the airport or Tokyo Station?

I'm a little paranoid now about the crowds. Will the JR Keiyo line to the parks be crowded too? How early should I get to Tokyo Station to be sure of getting to Maihama, picking up my tickets and getting into the parks when they open?

Thanks again for your advice--you've been a big help already for someone who feels like a fish out of water in Japan. As Indy says, "Tourists--what do they know?"

Brer Rabbit
          (JMG75)

Comment

The lines also thin out considerably after the night entertainment (Braviseamo or Dreamlights and Fireworks). So if the lines have gotten to huge levels, and you really want to ride a popular ride, I suggest heading to one then, but hustle before everyone else tries to make it, too. And you also want to beat the lines closing time.

For instance, I rode Indiana Jones after the Candlelight show in Disneysea (special holiday show, last one of the night) and speed-walked to the back and made it onto the ride which had a 180 minute queue earlier that day and a 120 minute queue when I passed by it to check on the way to the Candlelight show, and got in a 50-minute line (who knew I would consider that a short line? but I did get it done before park closing). By the time I got out, though, the line had been closed for the night, and most of the lines for popular attractions had also been closed (to make sure all people in line get to ride without having to keep the park open extra-late for them, they close it when the queue equals about the time left for the park to be open). So you can realistically only do this for one ride, but if there's one left you really wanted to do, but had a long line and no fastpasses earlier, this is a good strategy.

Oh, and from both of my days there last weekend, the dining situation is a bit strange. Eat before 10:30 or after 3:00. Between those times there are lines of at least 30 minutes even for walk-up carts with one option; but afterwards at both parks the lines pretty much completely disappeared to just a few people. And it doesn't build back up for dinner, either, oddly enough.

Good luck, have fun!

Comment

JMG75--Remember, it's not ALL about the rides. The Parks themselves are magnificent. I can't really explain it other than the attention to detail is amazing. On my first trip to TDR, I just thought I was going to a DL, woke up early but not ridiculously early and took my time getting there and didn't even know there was a second Park. I must have waited 30 minutes to buy my ticket (because they don't have Park Hoppers, I ended up buying a ticket for each Park) and then it took an hour to get into the Park. Once inside, memorized....And then I saw the lines and got depressed. They seemed to go on forever. And everywhere you turned there was a line. They have all these special flavored popcorns there and even the lines for those were at least 10 people deep at any given time. But as I walked around I started to notice the little things--and then realized I'm at Disneyland--it's magical, it's wonderful, it's fun! My advice to you is don't stress over the lines. Play on the website and see which rides mean the most to you, and make an effort to see those. (I reco Pooh, Splash Mtn, MMRevue). And don't make it about having to do everything. Have fun. Enjoy yourself...soak up the scenary. It is a huge culture difference from the US which makes it even that much more interesting. People watch too. Pay special attention to TDS--it's beautiful. Probably the most beautiful of all the Disney Parks (and yes I can compare--I've been to them all). But this Park (TDS) is so different and so unique I reco spending more time there regardless of the lines. But be aware, as I recall it's not as heavy on the Disney theming so you might find it not as "magical". But you will find even more attention to detail at the Park. Mermaid Lagoon is just awesome as is Mysterous Island. So, just accept that it will be packed to the gills and pick a few key rides, and spend as much time there as you can. That way you won't be disappointed. Save some time for shopping as well--many unique gifts. And if you don't get to do everything, you can always go back....I hate when people say that but it's true. Cause I want to see everything and I want to see it "now". But here I am going back in May, because there were things I didn't do. Have fun. And like I said, do what you can to be prepared---but don't stress. You'll have a wonderful time!

Comment

I hope you have fun, of the five Disney Resorts this is my favorite to go to. You'll have fun regardless of the crowds!

Comment

The Indy queue is also impressive and very different from Disneyland.

Comment

Go to Tokyo DisneySea on Sunday and Tokyo Disneyland on Monday.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Crystal Skull is themed to a South American civilization (Mayan) because that's what is thought of as exotic to the Japanese, rather than Asia as it is in Anaheim (because that seems more exotic to us). However, aside from superficial differences in decor, the ride itself is almost identical. There is no pyro (fire) in the DisneySea ride. They have two things we don't: a "Well of Souls" mini-tornado that is mildly impressive, and a stone face that belches an enormous smoke ring right at your vehicle.

They also have what appears to be a dragon rather than a snake in that little curve you take just after going over the bridge.

And, the preshow, which is extensive in Anaheim, including two effects in the queue (descending ceiling and archeologist in the well) are missing. Also missing are the films which run in addition to the safety film, which give entertaining background on the temple and really give you a feeling of going back in time. All missing in DisneySea.

A bigger issue is that as soon as you enter the large room, the music cuts out and remains off until you exit the large room. Since a great part of the excitement of the ride is generated by the dynamic interaction between the music and your movement, losing the music for that portion of the ride is a big minus (at least for me).

Of all the E tickets at Tokyo DisneySea, it is the one you can most afford to skip if you've been to the one in Anaheim.
                    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

Comment

Originally posted by JMG75 View Post
                      I cannot believe that Disney needs to know which park I will be visiting on which day!)
                      Since on many days TDL sells out, that's one reason they need to know. The people that are visiting TDS for the day don't need to be accomodated at TDL.

I will be ordering my tickets soon. The official website says the tickets will be available for me to collect at the "Welcome Center." Is this just outside the parks' entrance?
                      The Welcome Center is adjacent to JR Maihama Station (to the left as you exit the station toward TDR), and is a separate ticketing facility from those in front of each park. So if they say your tickets will be at the Welcome Center, be sure to go there instead of directly to the parks.

I'm a little paranoid now about the crowds. Will the JR Keiyo line to the parks be crowded too? How early should I get to Tokyo Station to be sure of getting to Maihama, picking up my tickets and getting into the parks when they open?
                      As far as the Keiyo line goes, one advantage you have is that you're traveling against the commute direction. That is, most people are coming into Tokyo in the morning and leaving in the evening. So you should not have any problems with crowding on the train (at least starting on Jan 5, after any unusual travel patterns for the holidays are gone).

As far as "how early," that's a tough one. The Welcome Center opens at 7:30am, and TDS opens at 9am on Jan 4. I have no idea how long the lines tend to be at the Welcome Center in the morning, but if it were me, I'd plan to be there by 7am to get in line. That should give you enough time to get your tickets set and get over to TDS by 9. It takes something like 13 minutes to get from Tokyo Station to Maihama Station, so if you catch a train around 6:40am or so, you should be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by GUYNYC View Post
                        JMG75--Remember, it's not ALL about the rides. The Parks themselves are magnificent. I can't really explain it other than the attention to detail is amazing.
                        Very true... and GUYNYC... since you appreciate the details... make sure you stop and soak the details when you visit Universal Japan. Makes the Orlando Universal park look pale in comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by JMG75 View Post
                          Thank you so much for your insight. I simply could not believe the photos of the "wait times" sign showing a 180-minute wait for Splash Mountain! I cannot even imagine the space required to corral all those people!
                          Well, the queue for Splash Mountain at TDL is simply HUGE, and mostly indoors. The queue is as fabulous as the ride itself me thinks.

And if you must go on a sunday... maybe it would be best to try TDS on sunday and leave TDL for the weekday.

Comment

Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
                            Very true... and GUYNYC... since you appreciate the details... make sure you stop and soak the details when you visit Universal Japan. Makes the Orlando Universal park look pale in comparison.
                            yes i think from the three the osaka one is amazing i loved the roller coaster its soo cool! a must of japan along with many other fascinating things i love the country
                            Trips:
                            DLR: 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2009 may
                            WDW: 1993,1994, 1995, 1997, 1999, 2000, 2004, 2006, 2011
                            DLP: 1996, 2002, June 2009
                            TDL: July 2008, July 2010
                            HKDL: wishing it will be soon

Comment

Working...
                            X