X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brisal73
    • May 2005

[Question] Final questions before my trip to Tokyo and TDR

How is the Sheraton Hotel at the Tokyo Bay?
    How is Cirque Zed?
    Best place to eat dinner at in TDR version of DTD?
    How early should I get to the entrance?
    Which rides have a single rider line?
    Best restaurants at TDL and TDS, lunch and dinner?
    How does the popcorn bucket. Basically buy the souvenier and refill with any flavor I want to try? Side note can I grab and eat or drink while I walk? I know the Japanese don't do that, but i thought it might be different there.
    Best location to watch shows or parades?

Basic entry plan
    at Tokyo Disneyland i will get to park an hour early. Get a FP for Monsters Inc, ride Space Mountain, get FP for Pooh, use FP and ride Monsters Inc, then ride something before using FP for Pooh
    at Tokyo Disney Seas i will get to the park an hour early. Get a FP for Journey, ride Journey, then ride 20k, then use FP to ride Journey.

Planned for Tokyo in general:
    Mt Fuji Tour, bus, cruise, sky ride, and then bullet train back.
    Tokyo Depot and go to Joyopolis and Muscle Park
    Cosmoworld
    Tokyo Dome baseball game, La Qua, and Tokyo Dome Amusement park

Any other recommendations, answers, or comments?

-Brian
  • TDLFAN
    Banned User
    • Feb 2005

Re: Final questions before my trip to Tokyo and TDR

Originally posted by Brisal73 View Post
    How is the Sheraton Hotel at the Tokyo Bay?
    Excellent place. Great service. 4-star service and best of all, 5 minutes to the monorail station.
    How is Cirque Zed?
    Have not seen it but I hear is one of the best Cirque shows out there. The japanese guy twirling the batons is one of the highlights.
    Best place to eat dinner at in TDR version of DTD?
    Frankly, I would skip Ikspiari (the proper name for it; not called DTD here) and eat inside the parks. Ikspiari offer the same junk we have at DTD.. Rainforest Cafe, Planet Hollywood, several japanese places, and other options. I like the Hawaiian Hamburger joint next to the cinema.

How early should I get to the entrance?
    I always recommend being there no later than 45 mins before the park opens for business... on most days. Holidays? Get there 75 mins before opening time. By the time the opening time nears, look back and see if you can spot the end of your line behind you.. then you will realize why I always recommend getting there early. It will also give you a head start if you plan to do fastpass, and at TDL, with the crowds it gets... you MUST do fastpass at all cost.
    Which rides have a single rider line?
    At TDL: none
    At TDS: Raging Spirits, and seasonally.. Indy and 20K. Single rider options are very foreign concepts at TDR.
    Best restaurants at TDL and TDS, lunch and dinner?
    TDL: Queen of Hearts Banquet Hall in Fantasyland. There is also China Voyager in Adventureland which is popular with locals. Steakhouse and Hokusai in World Bazaar. Crystal Palace.
    TDS: so many... Zambini Bros, Portofino Cafe, SS Columbia Dining room, Ristorante di Canaleto, Magellan's are usually the best options in the park for that special dinner.
    How does the popcorn bucket. Basically buy the souvenier and refill with any flavor I want to try?
    There are several bucket designs sold thru the park. The ones sold at TDS are not sold at TDL and vicecersa. Once you pay for the bucket, you can bring it to another cart and refill it with any of the other flavors you want to try for a lower price. Keep the bucket and bring it on your next trip, and so on..
    Side note can I grab and eat or drink while I walk? I know the Japanese don't do that, but i thought it might be different there.
    Well.. most times people do stay put to finish their snacks.. especially because they are so ultra cool and often times are sold with souvenir cups of other little extras. However, you always see people walking around and eating, or bringing food to others waiting for a parade, etc. You are able to eat while you wait for something like a show or parade. They tend to be more strict, the old Disney way and discourage eating in waiting areas.

Best location to watch shows or parades?
    for parades the hub is usually the best spot. But due to local customs, all guests do sit on the floor so, it does not matter where you stand in the parade route, you will get a good view. Do not want to sit? make sure you allow others to sit in front of you and then wait until you reach a point where CMs will tell you it's ok to stand.
    As for shows, most of these are held in theaters with limited seating. If you want to have a chance to get a nice seat, try to arrive about 45 mins before show times. Castle shows sometimes require you to win a lotto to seat in the main seating area in front of the stage. The Lotto area is located next to Space Mountain. You will get one chance to win per day.. if you loose.. too bad. If you win, you will be in the preffered viewing area. Not all castle shows require a lotto system. Read yous show schedule for more info on this.

Basic entry plan
    at Tokyo Disneyland i will get to park an hour early. Get a FP for Monsters Inc, ride Space Mountain, get FP for Pooh, use FP and ride Monsters Inc, then ride something before using FP for Pooh
    at Tokyo Disney Seas i will get to the park an hour early. Get a FP for Journey, ride Journey, then ride 20k, then use FP to ride Journey.
    Hmmm... this is what I would do...

Get there one hour to 45 mins before opening time. As soon as entering the park, get fastpass for Monsters inc, then go straight to Pooh's stand by line and ride. As soon as the FP window allows you to get another one, get it for Astroblasters or Space mountain. By the time you ride Monsters, you will have the next FP in your hand. Take time to do a few other things in the area.. like Star Tours.. then as soon as you are done with the Tomorrowland rides... try getting FP for either Splash or Big Thunder.. or even Haunted Mansion... Try to do the parades in between FP times. DO NOT MISS the parades. They are the best of any Disney park.. big and lavish. Continue playing FP as long as rides offer the service but expect the FP to be all gone by 3-4 pm. Hunny hunt, Astroblasters and Monsters Inc will run out first.

At TDS.. get a FP for TOT asap after entering the park. If the stand by line is short, you may be able to get the TOT FP first and then do the stand by line right away, and ride the tower once again using the TOT FP. Then go on about other areas of the park like the volcano ride, 20K or Indy. Another plan of attack would be to get a FP for JTTCOTE as soon as you enter the park, then head to Indy and stand by it. Then head back to JTTCOTE.. By this time, you may be able to get a FP for 20K as well. get TOT FP as soon as possible in the morning time to guaranty riding later in the day.
    While there DO not miss the lagoon shows.. they are the equivalent of the grand parades over at TDL. Mythica for example is the most lavish show on water ever put on at Disney.

Caution: TDS requires a lot of walking all over... do not get too tired in the beginning as this park is built in multi levels.. meaning, you walk up and down hills.. stairs... etc etc. Also the theming at TDS is excellent.. do not rush. Soak it up and enjoy the small details.

Planned for Tokyo in general:
    Mt Fuji Tour, bus, cruise, sky ride, and then bullet train back.
    Tokyo Depot and go to Joyopolis and Muscle Park
    Cosmoworld
    Tokyo Dome baseball game, La Qua, and Tokyo Dome Amusement park

Any other recommendations, answers, or comments?

-Brian
    Akihabara for electronics. Toky Tower for a nice view of the city. Shibuya for the ultra cool shops and best Disney store in Japan.
    Last edited by TDLFAN; 04-06-2009, 07:14 PM.

Comment

• Another Voice
      MiceChatter
      • Jun 2008

If you stay at the Shearton, you are eligable for Early Entry. This is a HUGE benefit at DisneySea, letting you ride 'Tower' and other major attractions before the crowds hit. Then you can spend the rest of the day enjoying the park at comfortable pace.

Comment

• TDLFAN
        Banned User
        • Feb 2005

Great Tip!!!

Comment

• JoeInJpn
          • Jul 2006

Sorry to be a spoil sport but "Early Entry" is not available on the days Brisal is visiting TDR.
          JoeInJpn
          Contact me at contact(at)jtcent(dot)com!
          For the latest TDR News, read JTCEnt.com's TDR Nempa Blog!
          Watch TDR Videos and Photos on Joe's Tokyo Disney Resort Photo Site!

Comment

• TDLFAN
            Banned User
            • Feb 2005

Ouch
            Does not matter. Do the TDR stampede with the rest of the guests or enjoy the character "coming out to greet guests" at the gate just before the gates open. Very cool.
            Last edited by TDLFAN; 04-06-2009, 08:44 PM.

Comment

• JoeInJpn
              • Jul 2006

TDS:
              May 11th - Jun 29th (Non-holiday weekdays):
              One-hour "Early Entry" available for Disney Hotel & TDR Official Hotel Guests

TDL:
              Jun 30th - Jul 17th (Non-holiday weekdays):
              One-hour "Early Entry" available for Disney Hotel & TDR Official Hotel Guests

From my calendar pages:
              http:// www.jtcent.com/extras/calendar_tdl.html
              http:// www.jtcent.com/extras/calendar_tds.html
              JoeInJpn

Comment

• Brisal73
                • May 2005

awesome tips guys.

some questions based off of this comment:
                "get TOT FP as soon as possible in the morning time to guaranty riding later in the day."

isnt TDR strict on return time when it comes to FP? You have to use them during the posted time. If this is the case wouldnt that kill FP for the rest of the day?

I was thinking Tower of Terror late at night, Explore the rest of the park during the day then head to american waterfront in the afternoon.
                Does the line die down? I figure the line moves like the DCA version even if there is a line.

also does TDS or TDL serve alcohol?
                Last edited by Brisal73; 04-07-2009, 03:45 PM.

Comment

• LeeLeeLuvsDisney
                  Central Florida
                  • Dec 2008

Keep those tips coming! We leave in 9 days - this is a great refresher for me. And I didn't know where to go for the castle show lottery, so I learned something new! YAY!
                  WDW Annual Passholders

Our Trips:
                  Oct. 2006 - Disneyland/DCA (offsite)
                  Feb. 2007 - WDW - Coronado
                  Oct. 2007 - Disneyland Paris (offsite)
                  Apr. 2008 - WDW Honeymoon - Grand Floridian
                  Sep. 2008 - WDW - Pop
                  Jan. 2009 - WDW - AK Lodge
                  Apr. 2009 - Tokyo DL & DisneySea - Sheraton Grande Tokyo Bay
                  Nov. 2009 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside
                  Oct. 2011 - WDW Caribbean Beach
                  Dec. 2012 - WDW Pop
                  Sep. 2013 - WDW Caribbean Beach
                  Jan. 2014 - WDW Port Orleans Riverside

Oct. 2014 - Disney Cruise
                  2015 - Disneyland
                  2019 - Tokyo Disney

Comment

• GUYNYC
                    MiceChatter
                    • Dec 2006

The tips are awesome. I've got quite a notebook of notes now... Thanks for the early entry info--that's something that i would never have known had i not seen the post from a week ago or so and this one in this thread. All of this is very helpful. I know it takes time to write up the tips, but please... know that they are much appreciated.

Comment

• Aunt Bee
                      Miss Bee Taylor
                      • Feb 2005

I appreciate the tips as well---! We have 46 days until our trip!

So glad to know we'll at least have Early Entry Days for Tokyo DL!
                      (We're staying at the Sheraton).
                      WDW-July 2010
                      **Tokyo~Tokyo Disney Resort**May 25-June 3, 2009**

Disneyland--all the time (we're Californians)
                      Disneyland Paris-2002
                      WDW-1999, 2000
                      DisneyCruise-2000

Comment

• DreamSweetsLove
                        Loves Mickey!
                        • Oct 2006

Please follow me @dreamsweetslove on twitter!
                        https://twitter.com/#!/DreamSweetsLove

Comment

• tokyodisneydad
                          New MiceChatter
                          • Mar 2009

When I went recently the refill for the popcorn bucket had been changed to a solid 500yen which is just a little more than the regular box size but you still get twice as much. There are lots of flavors to try. The flavors at TDS ar not at TDL and vice versa. My favorite is the strawberry in TDS and curry in TDL. I recommend getting the fold down tye of bucket. It's alot easier to carry.
                          Alchohal is served in TDs but not in TDL.
                          If you decide to go to Magellans in TDS insist or try to eat in the secret wine celler room. It's an expensive restaurant but the wine celler room is worth the money.

Comment

• DisneySea_Fan
                            MiceChatter
                            • Nov 2008

I think you can eat and drink when you walk but I'm not entirely sure. The SS columbia is really cool. Perssonally my favourite place to eat lunch at DS is the natalus resteraunt, I like being at sea level and its more of a snacky place. Have fun on your trip

PS: My favourite popcorns are sea salt, strawberry, and curry.

Comment

• JoeInJpn
                              • Jul 2006

Sure, you can eat and drink inside the Parks. However, alcoholic drinks can only be consumed within the TDS restaurants in which they are sold.
                              JoeInJpn

Comment

• Another Voice
                                MiceChatter
                                • Jun 2008

One of the few "secret" spots I know of -

The upper level of the Zambini Brothers Restorante offers great views of the entire harbor at sunset. The best time is just as the lights come on, it's a real movie setting. The restarant itself is counter service with pasta and pizza. It's a good place for moderately priced food with a great local.

Comment

• Fukai
                                  Resident of the Caldera
                                  • Jul 2008

Sorry to disagree with TDLFAN, but there are several excellent restaurants in Ikspiari and it's not all all like Downtown Disney in Orlando.
                                  There is a very good Yakiniku (Korean Barbeque) restaurant on the second or third floor. And Imahan, on the top floor, is a super shabu-shabu restaurant (of course they serve other Japanese dishes as well). There's a great Disney store, plus a very good "Hawaiin" burger place next to the Disney store.
                                  Lots of good places to eat and shop.
                                  Last edited by Fukai; 04-08-2009, 11:11 AM. Reason: Fixed Typos
                                  Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

Comment

• Fukai
                                    Resident of the Caldera
                                    • Jul 2008

AV, the pizza at Zamboni Brothers is pretty poor. If you go there to take advantage of his excellent viewing spot, order something else!
                                    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

Comment

• TDLFAN
                                      Banned User
                                      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Another Voice View Post
                                      One of the few "secret" spots I know of -

The upper level of the Zambini Brothers Restorante offers great views of the entire harbor at sunset. The best time is just as the lights come on, it's a real movie setting. The restarant itself is counter service with pasta and pizza. It's a good place for moderately priced food with a great local.
                                      That is no secret. The entire population of Tokyo and us frequent APers know that!!

Originally posted by Fukai
                                      Sorry to disagree with TDLFAN, but ..
                                      What else is new?
                                      ...there are several excellent restaurants in Ikspiari and it's not all all like Downtown Disney in Orlando.
                                      To be honest, I am not that familiar with the eateries there besides the obvious junk I previously mentioned. Fact is, I hardly have 4 hours to enjoy per visit at TDR so I do not have time for the parks, much less experiencing Ikspiari. But for me, not much there calls my attention... except for the Hawaiian burger place and that curry counter in the food court on the lower level.

Comment

• kustomboy
                                        MiceChatter
                                        • Mar 2007

The Planet Hollywood at Ikspiari sucks! Worst hamburger ever and I was sooooo hungry for a burger.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X