could

And of course, more people!

Comment

Re: SuperMatt TDR Trip Thoughts

Tokyo Disneyland:

World Bazaar

Adventureland
      Pirates
      Jungle Cruise - - I feel the same way that I do with Pirates, better than MK but not as great as Disneyland USA. Everyone was laughing though and not looking bored, that was good. My Japanese friend that joined us at Disneyland told me the Skipper was funny.
      Western River Railroad - - EXCELLENT! Completely enjoyed this!! This was a BONA FIDE attraction!
      Tiki Room: Aloha E Komo Mai

Westernland/Critter Country was a really nice version of MK Frontierland. REALLY NICE! I appreciated the placement of Big Thunder Mtn. as the backdrop for Westernland and Splash Mtn./Critter Country as the departure into Fantasyland. There was a genuine kinetic energy to the land in the way it flowed. While all of the lands at TDL are basically reproductions of MK or Disneyland USA areas, I think that Westernland was the best done of the lands at TDL. Adventureland was just too slapdash. Things we did:
      Big Thunder Mtn
      Country Bear Theater
      Splash MtnI

Fantasyland
      Haunted Mansion

The Mickey Mouse Revue

Toontown

Tomorrowland
      Star Tours
      Space Mountain
      Monsters Inc. Ride & Go Seek

Comment

Food is next!

Comment

Food:

Comment

Stay tuned for Tokyo DisneySea...

Comment

Great stuff, objective and informative. Looking forward to TDS. Also, any pics?
              Down with the Hat

Comment

Fantastic report!! Can`t wait to read the rest

Comment

Quickly, I will agree with you. TDL's Splash is the clear winner of the three Splashs around the world. No competition.

Comment

Very good observations about TDL overall.. but not surprising to me. Most americans on their first visit have the same negative reaction to Fantasyland and Tomorrowland, and most do not understand that Adventureland tends to favor the tropical theme overall. BTW.. TDL's Star Tours opened in late spring 1989. To criticize some things like the concrete in fantasyland.. you must also understand that TDL (actually ALL of TDR) was build on a landfill. This area has been subjected to many many earthquakes and tremors over the years.. cracks do tend to happen on the floors at TDL. But what if the MK's excuse for the same problems vistually all over the park?

The running. Yes, very unpleasant thing in the morning. I hate it too. But in TDR, this is normal behavior. The CMs do try to tell guests to slow down.. but honestly.. people know better and if they take their time instead of utililizing their time wisely from the early get-go.. they know they will be in trouble later. Still.. I do not care for the morning stampede either. I know there is a very real safety concern about it.. but I had to laugh when you mention how the other parks would not allow this for safety reason.. yet, the MK allows kids to hoola hoop, jump rope and other stupid PACtivities in the middle of Main Street when it's packed with guests, but this is only one example of safety problems I see at the MK alone. So I think, that all parks should take a good look at their operation because there is room for improvement in several areas... and the MK for example could be better in this regard. How many times I have seen kids sitting in the ledge of the bridges over the waterways around the MK hub? Again.. the staffing at the MK is inadecuate to make it a safer park.
                    In regards to food.. I think you chose the worst locations to eat. With the exception of Queen of Hearts over at TDL, Cape Cod, and Vulcania, Sunrise are not the most popular choices to eat when at TDS. In TDL, you should have tried the Steakhouse, in addition to Hokusai. Over at TDS.. Ristorante di Canalleto, Zambini Bros, Magelans', and Sakura would have been better places to eat.

One thing you were absolutely correct: TDR is MORE! Yes it is more, and you pay LESS when compared to the WDW passport tickets of 1 thru 4 days. Even with the negative comments you made in your report so far, I think even you would agree that there are far MORE positives all around at TDR to make up for the few problem areas you brought up. You do not mention if you saw any of the shows or parades at TDL since this is yet another area where TDL offers "more" when compared to the MK entertainment. And yet, I realize TDR can't please everyone.. like when you commented on the beverage choices throughout the park. You saw it as inconsistent, but I see it as "greater variety" to please most everyone's tastes. That to me is yet another positive aspect of the TDR operation. Why have Diet Coke in every restaurant wher you could try Fanta Grape here or Kirin Melon soda there...

Comment

Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
                      Most americans on their first visit have the same negative reaction to Fantasyland and Tomorrowland
                      What do "most Americans" have to do with it?

Most people can point out the obvious, just as Matt did. Fantasyland and Tomorrowland are out dated and kinda lame.

most do not understand that Adventureland tends to favor the tropical theme overall.
                      Most Americans (again)? But, it doesn't favor any theme, as Matt wrote.

His (very accurate) comment was that Adventureland in Tokyo is a patchwork quilt that doesn't quite work.

And he's right.

How does having the quasi-New Orleans shoehorned in fit with your "tropical theme overall"?

It's a spot-on observation, and anyone without rose colored glasses would agree that TDL is lacking in those three areas.

To criticize some things like the concrete in fantasyland.. you must also understand that TDL (actually ALL of TDR) was build on a landfill. This area has been subjected to many many earthquakes and tremors over the years.. cracks do tend to happen on the floors at TDL. But what if the MK's excuse for the same problems vistually all over the park?
                      Who cares what the difficulties are in Florida (if they have a hurricane, I'd imagine they would clean the place up afterwards, right?)?

His comments were about the quality of care at Tokyo Disneyland. And Earthquakes are no excuse. They can re-pave the place just like any other Earthquake affected zone. And they should! No excuses!

The fact that they haven't only indicates that there are areas that need improvement, nothing more.

EXCELLENT report Matt! Enjoyed every word. Thank you!

Comment

Great trip report, I loved the comparisons! 40 minutes for honey popcorn! I remember the gyoza sausage bun lineups... (Shudders)

Comment

Great report, Matt!! Most of what you wrote, we were talking about when we were at TDL yesterday!!! We share the same opinion about so many things at that park. I'll post more about it next week...but I have to say that my husband and I loved the honey popcorn! And the caramel popcorn. The soy sauce and butter...not so much. The maple churro was awesome. We also wished the drinks were a little larger, but we just ended up buying more...and a variety of things to try.

We're off to DisneySea now...thanks for the heads up on the cheeseburger set at Cape Cod Cookoff...::shudders:: Sounds pretty bad.
                          WDW Annual Passholders

Our Trips:
                          Oct. 2006 - Disneyland/DCA (offsite)
                          Feb. 2007 - WDW - Coronado
                          Oct. 2007 - Disneyland Paris (offsite)
                          Apr. 2008 - WDW Honeymoon - Grand Floridian
                          Sep. 2008 - WDW - Pop
                          Jan. 2009 - WDW - AK Lodge
                          Apr. 2009 - Tokyo DL & DisneySea - Sheraton Grande Tokyo Bay
                          Nov. 2009 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside
                          Oct. 2011 - WDW Caribbean Beach
                          Dec. 2012 - WDW Pop
                          Sep. 2013 - WDW Caribbean Beach
                          Jan. 2014 - WDW Port Orleans Riverside

Oct. 2014 - Disney Cruise
                          2015 - Disneyland
                          2019 - Tokyo Disney

Comment

Originally posted by Supermatt70 View Post
                            Tokyo Disneyland:
                            Inside TDL everyone RUNS to his or her destination. This “open dash” was very unpleasant. We actually felt unsafe in World Bazaar with the massive crowds and the running. We saw people fall, kids pushed, it was precarious. We saw people running not just at opening, but all day & at both parks, but it was worst at opening. It did bother me…Safety is the top key in the keys to Disney theme park success. This running would never be tolerated at a Disney operated park I feel and even if it is a cultural phenomenon, when children are pushed, it ceases to be a Disney environment...

Adventureland was strange to me...

Pirates - - What everyone knows…better than MK but not as great as Disneyland USA. It was nice to see pirates chase women though…
                            Jungle Cruise - - I feel the same way that I do with Pirates, better than MK but not as great as Disneyland USA. Everyone was laughing though and not looking bored, that was good. My Japanese friend that joined us at Disneyland told me the Skipper was funny.
                            Western River Railroad - - EXCELLENT! Completely enjoyed this!! This was a BONA FIDE attraction!
                            Tiki Room: Aloha E Komo Mai - - A big surprise for us! I don’t like Stitch & I adore the original attraction...

Country Bear Theater - - ...WOW!...It looked & sounded so first-class!! We could hear & understand the lyrics; there were no loud noises from the AA figures distracting you from the illusion; it was nothing short of incredible to see such an old “tired” friend look so bright and fresh! I can’t even start to tell you how much this hit me...

I wonder at what point Japanese Guests at the Magic Kingdom realize they’ve entered the bad universe?

When they see no one wearing ears or smiling and people looking more stressed than having fun. That's what they say anyway.

Fantasyland was also strange to me. So much money was spent on so many other areas and things at TDR but here was that 1950’s looking Dumbo screamin’ out “look at me, I’m old as hell!” In fact, much of Fantasyland looked old, even older than Magic Kingdom...
                            The Mickey Mouse Revue - - I hate that this is going away.
                            Tomorrowland was a lot like Fantasyland: old & in need of attention! ...Tokyo Disneyland Tomorrowland felt & looked a lot like Magic Kingdom Tomorrowland circa 1979. Even more than Fantasyland, Tomorrowland needs quick action! TDL’s Tomorrowland is the Mickey Mouse Revue of lands! I remember so much of it and have fond memories of it, but it is way dated and needs to be modernized immediately!
                            Monsters Inc. Ride & Go Seek - - ...My BF actually preferred the DCA Monsters ride to the TDL one. (Roz talks smack to us at DCA.) We rode twice, both times with Fastpasses.
                            So much to comment on in your INCREDIBLE report! I hope someday to have the energy and clarity to do reports like this for folks. Wow, Matt. Just...wow. Really excellent!^^

So let's start with the morning race. I went to TDL for opening for the first time last week and experienced the "dash." I also thought it seemed a little dangerous, but I didn't see anyone pushing, nor did I see anyone fall or even almost either of these things. I just thought it was strange and "risky." But people seemed to kinda enjoy it. I assumed it was only for the purpose of Monsters, Inc., but after reading posts here, I'm guessing it's a TDL tradition. In that sense, I take pause criticizing it. The people seemed to be into it, and it does create a kind of energy... Hm. I know I don't really wanna do it again, but with the realization that it's a tradition, I feel hesitant to just dismiss it. But although I saw no accidents or near-misses, it did seem potentially dangerous... I'm gonna just stay neutral on this one. I will say, though, that that's the only time I've seen anyone of any age running for more than about three meters in the Disney parks. I'm totally surprised that you saw people running "all day." I am actually uncomfortably conscious of being embarrassed when running in TDR, or anywhere else in Japan because it is just not done. That is very, very unusual.
                            Adventureland is a strange hodgepodge to me, too, and I think you're right that it is just not cohesive. As I've never been to other parks, I wonder what makes MK Pirates and JC better? I actually *LOVE* Stitch, both the movie and the character, but I was SO BORED by the Tiki Room...)...Goes to show, we all have our perspectives.

I was fortunate to meet the infinitely charming Ichigopara and her two gorgeous men (i secretly want to steal both of them...watch out!^^) at TDL a few days ago. They introduced me to the Western River Railroad and the Country Bear Jamboree, two "attractions" I had written off as lame-o snores for babies and old ladies and never bothered to try. Boy was I WRONG! These two attractions were oh-my-gosh-slap-yer-mama-'cross-the-face-with-a-live-trout awesomeness! I think you're right, Matt, that what floored me was the authenticity of the illusion at CBJ. I'm sad to hear it's not always like that, but yay, :yea:lucky lucky me!!! And OSCAR!!!:love: Oh my GOSH!!! And, hey, Matt...did you see Blinky's letter? HA!!!:lol: And the railroad surprise!!! Shhh...Don't tell anyone, but WHOA!!!! Is that only in TDL? Thank you, Ichigo! You changed my life!^^ I LOVE being wrong, especially when I'm smart enough to actually learn from it.

I've always thought that both Fantasyland and Tomorrowland were going for retro. I LOVE it in Fantasyland, and I hate to think it's changing. Sadly, with Mickey Mouse Revue departing and the Jolly Trolley already gone, my guess is that OLC and Disney agree with you, Matt, and changes are in the works. With Tomorrowland, I love the retrofuture concept, but I have thought from the very first visit that it needs...enhancements. I think R&GS is a step in the right direction and it has already totally invigorated that land for me...incredibly, and I'm still not sure how. I like the addition of WALL-E and EVE, too. And the Little Green Men around AstroBlasters. Maybe just more of the current character photospots to add life and color. Along with Mike's car, this seems to be kind of a plan for Tomorrowland, and I gotta say, I'm keen. I love that retrodesign. I'd like it "freshened up," but not totally refreshed.

By the way, I'm pretty sure Roz trash talks everyone here, too, at that point when all the trams turn to face each other at the end, and I'm pretty sure she let me have it!^^ Again, great work, Matt. Thank you so much!:thumbup:
                            Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 04-20-2009, 08:50 PM. Reason: I made a oopsie.^^

Comment

Yeah, ever since Sweet Duffy Cafe closed, that place has just gone to pot.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X