This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Tdl's potc vs dl

Which version of Potc is better TDL OR DL?

Re: Tdl's potc vs dl

Hmmm...I'm sure those who have actually been on the attraction will tell you for sure, since I only know details. The one thing I know is that it only has one drop instead of DL's 2. That's because it does not have to go underneath any railroad tracks. I've heard that the actual ride experience is very similar to DL's though, but maybe the caverns are a bit shorter. I think when they created TDL's version, they decided not to recreate the "cliff notes" WDW version, so of all of the POTC"s around the world, TDL and DL's are most similar...from what I know. Even the facades are almost the same. TDL's is like the original DL's facade before the Fantasmic! upgrades to the area.

Like I said, others who have actually ridden the attraction will answer with specifics.
    Meow

Comment

Pirates in Tokyo is not the same as WDW's version. There never was any final "treasure" room (that's not the correct name for the final room as Marc Davis designed it--it might be the Stockade--but it's where the soldiers were in WDW before Jack Sparrow showed up).

The drop in Tokyo is not as long as Disneyland.

Tokyo has a Blue Bayou Restaurant like Disneyland.

Tokyo does not have the Captain's Quarters in the opening cavern scene. Disneyland does.

Things seem somewhat closer together in Tokyo's ride.

The final scene with Johnny Depp is also unique in Tokyo. First, it's on the left side not the right. It's also right on top of you--you're very close. But there's also that little extra that Oriental Land Company always pays for, and that's a large parrot with whom Depp converses in dialogue unique to the Tokyo ride.
      Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

Comment

I think I somehow prefer Disneyland a little bit- though Tokyo you can clearly see that everything is usually in perfect working order. The one thing that pisses me off about Disneyland now is that sometimes you get too wet on it now than in the past.

I know due to rehab years ago they somehow removed the splash guards & one time I was absolutely soaked from head to foot while riding in the front on a cold October night.

I do like seeing Davey Jones chest after the first drop which I think is only in Tokyo & Jack Sparrow is much more detailed. Disneyland has the chest with the cursed coins in its treasure room.

I also really like the Paris version as well.

It is a toss up since each park is pretty unique in its own way.

Comment

Originally posted by lakersboy92 View Post
          Which version of Potc is better TDL OR DL?
          Simple. I place DLP's and DL's as the very best versions there.. TDL's is great and a close third to those two.. Sadly, the MK finishes way last, Again.

Comment

Also, the TDL version doesn't have many of the recent small touches that have been added to DL's, such as the pop-up men operating the cannon in the fort on the right of the battle scene, and the shadow projection of the swordfight on the fort in front of you in the same scene. These days, I think DL's version is the best (of the three similar ones).

Comment

DL's version you get to ride the up-ramp at the end and you unload right where you started in the bayou. I always have liked the "unwind" time this gives you to reflect on what you just experienced.

At TDL you unload right before the up-ramp which is OK, but not as fun as riding around back to the front like DL.

And WDW...ahhh WDW... there the ride ends so abruptly that it feels like you are being rushed out, just like when you dine at a busy restaurant where they shove the bill in your face and push you out the door after what could have been a pleasant dining experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger55 View Post
                At TDL you unload right before the up-ramp which is OK, but not as fun as riding around back to the front like DL.
                Great point. I too always liked riding "up the waterfall" as a kid - after all, anything's possible at Disneyland. But as far as the story goes, there is a small benefit of TDL's version: as you load, you have to wonder - maybe we won't make it back!

Comment

TDL's the in essence the same as DL's without the extra body fat that makes DL's so memorable. Instead of transitions. It's, One Scene, The Next Scene, The Next scene, all right next to each other. For example, at the end of TDL's between the jailed pirates and the dog and the last pirate battle. It doesn't have that extended scene when you are underneith a burning bridge and it sounds/feels like it's gonna fall on you.

Comment

how does the ending in TDL's work if you don't go back up the waterfall? I mean that kinda detail is sorta important to how DL's ending works with the pirates shooting at each other and whatnot
                    "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

Comment

Originally posted by k_peek_2000 View Post
                      TDL's the in essence the same as DL's without the extra body fat that makes DL's so memorable. Instead of transitions. It's, One Scene, The Next Scene, The Next scene, all right next to each other. For example, at the end of TDL's between the jailed pirates and the dog and the last pirate battle. It doesn't have that extended scene when you are underneith a burning bridge and it sounds/feels like it's gonna fall on you.
                      sounds alot like WDW's cave sequence. and WDW also skips that whole burning/caving in section. I'm almost curious if that section was upgraded in recent times and wasn't origionally as impressive? I mean the way it works now you totally miss it when it isn't there. Its a strong follow through to the burning city.

Comment

Originally posted by Jspider View Post
                        how does the ending in TDL's work if you don't go back up the waterfall? I mean that kinda detail is sorta important to how DL's ending works with the pirates shooting at each other and whatnot
                        I have never felt riding the waterfall upward to be relevant to the story. In fact, it feels odd to me... sorta like they are telling you.. "we dropped you twice so we are being nice by bringing you up to street level". Then again, I do not enjoy DL park as much as I would like to so I would not know better. But in TDL, the ending scene is that of Jack Sparrow enjoying the loot and singing Yo Ho yo ho.. to me that brings the storyline to a happy ending.. at least for jack.

Comment

Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
                          I have never felt riding the waterfall upward to be relevant to the story. In fact, it feels odd to me... sorta like they are telling you.. "we dropped you twice so we are being nice by bringing you up to street level". Then again, I do not enjoy DL park as much as I would like to so I would not know better. But in TDL, the ending scene is that of Jack Sparrow enjoying the loot and singing Yo Ho yo ho.. to me that brings the storyline to a happy ending.. at least for jack.
                          I guess that's what all the rides end with technically

what I mean is that at least the original ending in DL was of the Pirates fighting and then you escape up the waterfall. Walt pretty much says as much when they show that old interview and stuff on the PoTC DVD (from the first movie).

I've noticed that not only is WDW without the extension of the burning city but it also goes without this final confrontation of sorts. I was curious as to weather TDL's version had the pirates fighting in the armory scene or if it ended more like WDW's version? (which I feel ends rather suddenly)

Comment

Originally posted by Jspider View Post
                            Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
                            I have never felt riding the waterfall upward to be relevant to the story.
                            I read that the symbolism was supposed to be that going down the waterfall takes us back in time, while going up the waterfall brings us back to a more contemporary New Orleans.

When Davis designed Western River Expedition for the Magic Kingdom, there was similar symbolism...but guests would have gone up a waterfall to go back in time, then the final climactic drop would have brought them back.

I felt that the original version of Pirates at the MK suffered from this lack of symbolism...so TDL's version probably did as well. The insertion of Jack Sparrow has however distracted from this symbolism somewhat...which at least in the case of the MK, has been beneficial IMO.
                            Down with the Hat

Comment

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X