X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trip Report Live (or close to it) from Tokyo Disneyland

Re: Live (or close to it) from Tokyo Disneyland

I just want to say... this was not my first trip report from Tokyo Disney resort I have read in the recent weeks. However, I enjoyed reading it and thank you for posting!

Comment

Last edited by jsilvers; 06-29-2009, 01:29 PM. Reason: Typo correction.

Comment

Excellent trip report.

I noticed that too one my first veiwing. I've asked people whether the changes was made for cultural reasons. I ususally get some sort of hemmming and hawing about how it makes for a simplier storyline...otherwise they would have to bring in the Prince and so forth. After the fiasco with Mulan, I'm not buying their explanation either. But, I've never seen another show or attraction that diverts so much from the original.

I don't really miss the characters, but given the Italian Renaissance surroundings of the Tuscan Courtyard and the harbor beyond, the Aquasphere really stands out as starkly modern.

It's cheap and easy to install - it's Disney "go to" solution for problems with the parks. At Disneyland Paris it was installed because the park was a flop and they needed attractions; in Tokyo DisneySea because they needed extra capacity. I'm shocked it hasn't shown up at the Hong Kong Disney Drive-Thru yet for the same reason it showed up in Paris.

A universal law of human behavior - "teenager" always trumps "culture".

Comment

I'm really enjoying all of these trip reports coming in the last few weeks. Everybody has such different opinions and observations.
          Meow

Comment

Re: Live (or close to it) from Tokyo Disneyland[/quote][quote=jsilvers;1055409744]

The monorail's not so convenient for TDS, either. I think it takes me longer to go on the monorail than to just walk there, if I walk a little briskly.

:lol:There may be truth in this, actually.

:lmao:I never noticed this! I've only seen it once, and I was falling asleep. I'll have to go back; that is so weird!

Me, three. I can't understand why anyone who's been on it would wait to ride it again. The theming is nice, though.

Originally posted by jsilvers View Post
            Up until now, if I was asked to name which Disney park was my favorite, it would have been a toss-up between Epcot and DisneySea.
            You didn't say, and I wouldn't like to assume?^^

I just saw him for the first time last week, too! His name is Fujiya (like the cake shop^^), and I :love: him! I've seen CMs do charming or interesting things before, but never quite at his level. I hope there's more of this. It's a great opportunity for CMs to be performers, too!

I used to spend the ride wondering if its depiction of the Middle East was offensive or nott.
            I try to ignore these questions on Disney property.^^

I see the wait time for Journey is 60 minutes, but the wait time for 20,000 Leagues is 15 minutes. After mangling the Japanese language, I communicate my desire for a front row seat, and get it. And yes, the view is much better from there (if still a bit cramped).

...Connecting at Shin-Kiba once again seemed to work as well or better than connecting at Tokyo station.
            Congrats on escaping your "gaijin seat," and I agree that the Tokyo 3-mile transfer should be avoided whenever possible.

Nice reports. I like your humor.^^

Comment

Originally posted by jsilvers
              Starting with 20,000 Leagues might have been a strategic error – the standby line at Journey to the Center of the Earth was posted as 40 minutes at 9:30am. And unlike my experience in TDL, the posted figures in TDS appear to be on the mark, or exaggerate by 5 minutes at most.
              Hmmm.. I have always found it useful to get a FP for 20K first thing in the morning when the park opens, and then do stand by for JTTCOTE.

I spent a few minutes in line wondering if the boarding area is actually above or below the main queuing area – the elevators suggests that you’re going down, but the unloading area is actually above the main queuing area, so I’m spatially confused. I also wondered why queue hopping seems to be tolerated – in the U.S., I’ve seen families do it, but in TDR, it seems to be common among groups of teenagers. So much again for the stereotype of orderly behavior…
              This type of "legal" line cutting is very prevalent in the USA as well.. so don't kid yourself on that. However.. at DLP? They CUT in line with no shame. At least at TDR and the US parks.. the excuse is that "someone is waiting in the line already and we are just joining our party.."

Stormrider also wasn’t offering fastpasses. Did Disney lose a patent suit in the past hour, or something?
              No, I believe this is due to OLC realizing that some attractions do not need this service when the crowds are not there. Personally, they should turn off Fastpass for good.

I’m still puzzling over exactly how the idol is made to disappear from Hightower’s office (a hidden compartment in the stand?).
              I could explain to you how it works but it would make this post a bit long and personally, I think it's difficult for me to put it into words.. but there is no hidden stand anywhere. There are however, hidden support corners to the stand in which the stand travels on. The movable stand supports are hidden inside the "horned" like legs of the table on which Shiriki stands... that makes it possible for him to drop out of view. Take a careful look the next time you ride.

So I instead head over to Mystic Rhythms, which I hadn’t seen before. As for the Little Mermaid show, it was technically impressive – especially since it integrated water with acrobatics and dance, which sounds like a recipe for an accident. But the story? Perhaps the very brief Japanese narration explained it all, but I still left thinking What Was That All About?
              This show, like most others at TDS..have a very abstract way of presenting storylines.. (BraviSEAmo anyone?) The Mystic Rhythms is basically a metaphore of how well balanced the ecosystem of the rainforrest works.. with animals and flora co-exisiting.. then how it can be destroyed by man at a moment's notice, hence the flames and some explosive finale moments...

I just don’t get Raging Spirits. This is a mediocre coaster at best, and the loop is so tame that I would ride with my aging mother. In fact, I think I sat next to someone’s aging mother; despite the posted 50-minute wait, the single rider line was completely deserted. This ride must hold some attraction for groups and/or dating teenagers that I just don’t get.
              Someone already explained this ride is virtually a "disney theme park band aid". When it first opened, this ride was quite rough and many guests raised complaints about it. It has been made tamer here.. and the last time I rode, I too noticed it was much tamer and whole lot less rougher than when originally opened. As for "getting it"? It's there for fun. Nothing else. It's either your cup of tea or not.. but this is the type of odd things that happen when Disney tries to fix things when guests complain about the lack of things to do.. which in regards to TDS.. it's even more of a puzzle.

I had never seen Legend of Mythica before. I didn’t arrive expecting much, but was quite impressed, despite it being announced to be an alternate inclement weather version (which appears to mean that the characters wear clear ponchos over their costumes).
              That may be a reason, but sometimes.. an inclement weather version could mean that a) some of the pyrotechnics were not used, or b) certain elements of the show didn't get performed, like the aerial kite ballet that takes place half way through the show... etc etc etc.

Up until now, if I was asked to name which Disney park was my favorite, it would have been a toss-up between Epcot and DisneySea. Now there’s a clear winner.
              Well.. we all know that TDS is the ultimate expression of Disney's engineering and there is no comparison out there, plain and simple. They outdid themselves in the way they designed this park. EPCOT is great for what it is, but architecturally speaking, theme-wise.. it's really nowhere close to TDS' level. I would even have to say that DLP and DAK are the other two Disney parks that attempt to come close to the architectural perfection that is TDS.

One way to know that I’ve been to Japan too often: I can answer questions that I don’t understand. Apparently, Japanese credit cards allow purchases to be spread into multiple payments. U.S. cards don’t work that way, but the question I often still asked (typically, the cast member will hold up one finger and ask, apparently, if I want the purchase to be posted in a single payment). It’s much easier to agree than to try to explain.
              Even if you ask them to spread the payments into installments.. the system won't allow them to do so. I tried this once for fun, and learned my lesson.

I wandered around the S.S. Columbia for the first time; it may not be an attraction as such, but again the attention to detail is impressive – it feels real.
              I hope the new "Talk with CrusH" attraction in the SS Columbia won't affect that.
              The railway bridge is right next to the Mediterranean Harbor-themed bridge, which is jarring IMHO.
              I agree as well.

I normally don’t understand the Japanese fascination with lining up for strange flavors of popcorn or other snacks, but I did take advantage of a short line at the gyoza bun cart.
              This popcorn facination is not exclusive to the japanese. Go to Old Town near WDW and see the lines at their popcorn store, which sells very strange flavors not found at TDR... but trust me, if you try the black pepper, cappucino, caramel or even the chocolate popcorn... you will be hooked. Plus, the seasonal and special event popcorn buckets are huge collectable items.. at least for me. I have over a 100 different ones from TDR and that collection always grows as time goes by.

I see the chef from the film as a walk-around character - does he even have a name?
              Chef Louis I think? But I am not sure on that.
              A second ride on Stormrider. Virtually no line. Likewise, no line for Aquatopia. I wouldn’t normally bother – this line looks more fun to ride than it actually is – but maybe I’ll get a vehicle which goes through the tunnel. Nope.
              Board from the right hand side of the platform as you enter the attraction to increase your chances of going thru the tunnel or rocks..

Sindbad was a walk-on, but I assume that’s the norm. I used to spend the ride wondering if its depiction of the Middle East was offensive or not. But this time, I spent the ride thinking that Sindbad looks a lot like Michael Jackson does (er… did), only with less plastic.
              Can that be the reason why the attraction's queue is dead most times?
              (Sorry, could not help the joke in bad taste). We'll miss Jacko forever.

I use my Indiana Jones fastpass. My memories of the California version of the ride are vague, so I’m not sure which is better. The standby line is posted as 70 minutes, so clearly the park hasn’t emptied out – guests just have headed inside.
              Many still prefer DL's version of Indy because a) the illusion of different vehicle routes in the beginning of the ride, b) there are real flame effects in the main room, and c) the music does not cut off in the middle of the ride as it does at TDS'. However, I do love the nice lighting and cozy feel of the first few moments of the ride, and the smoke ring effect is unique to TDS.

Since I had been subsisting on snacks, I decided that I should sit down for at least a minute for dinner. I tried Vulcania – edible, but nothing I would feel a need to return for.
              BIG mistake. Next time.. try dinner at Zambini Bros.
              it was announced to be an alternate inclement weather edition (Better than canceling it altogether, which happened to me once before). I think that I prefer Illuminations for sheer spectacle – but Barviseamo actually has a comprehensible story. (I know that Illuminations is supposed to have one also, but I don’t think anyone could figure it out just by watching the show.)
              As for BraviSEAmo!, an inclement weather version means lesser fireworks launched. As for EPCOT's Reflection of Earth.. well, I have to say that I find that storyline more comprehensible.. 1st act.. the creation of the universe.. the fire barge symbolizes the "big bang" theory. That opening sequence leads to the Eath (revolving monitor) traveling thru the universe.. (with floating pyro playing the part of stars in the universe.. Then the visual history of man's accomplishments.. and ending with a celebration of life in the form of fireworks. Then "We go on"... for a sentimental touch to let us know.. we are getting OLD!!!

The park was open until 10pm, but in light of my soggy shoes and morning meetings, I bolted for the exit before the fireworks started (although I was able to catch a glimpse of them from outside the Maihama station). Connecting at Shin-Kiba once again seemed to work as well or better than connecting at Tokyo station.

And back to reality…
              Didn't miss much with the fireworks at TDR. Think a poor man's version of Fantasy in the Sky. As for connecting in Shin-Kiba.. I highly recommend this.. and even if youare going to Tokyo's northwest side.. like Shinjuku.. it's easier to connect here to the subway that goes that way. AVOID Tokyo Station at all cost!!!

GREAT trip report by the way.

Comment

Thanks for the great report. I loved reading your observations.

Too funny about the Sindbad/MJ resemblance. Come to think of it, I have to agree.

Cat

Comment

Great report. It's clear (if you have someone to translate the Japanese for you) that Harrison Hightower wanted to buy Shiriki Utundu from the African tribe and that they refused to sell it ... so he stole it. And he paid the ultimate price for his crime. Hightower is a rat ******* from the word go, and you can see what a pompous hubris-filled jackass he is in the wonderful portrayal by Imagineer Joe Rhode in all the photos of him.
                  Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

Comment

Dude ... Sindbad has a nose! The late and unlamented child molesting Michael Jackson did not have a nose. That was part of his ear stuck to the front of his face.

Comment

Originally posted by Fukai View Post
                      ...Hightower is a rat ******* from the word go, and you can see what a pompous hubris-filled jackass he is in the wonderful portrayal by Imagineer Joe Rhode in all the photos of him.
                      )

Comment

Oh, yes, that's definitely Chef Louis.

Comment

Buhaha.. nice!

Comment

Originally posted by gurgi View Post
                            I'm really enjoying all of these trip reports coming in the last few weeks. Everybody has such different opinions and observations.
                            Very true, I agree. Thanks for these Trip Reports guys!

Comment

Thanks! I enjoyed reading your trip report.
                              -Tyler

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X