Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Chat] Tokyo Disneyland's Tomorrowland?

A lot of people argue that Tokyo Disneyland's Tomorrowland is great because it still captures that true 'World on the Move' style that Walt had envisioned for Tomorrow. It portrays the elegance and the class that was available with the 1967 Tomorrowland.

However, it is no secret that Tomorrowland is outdated. It is no longer Tomorrowland and is more like "Retroland". So what would you do to Tomorrowland? Not change anything at all? Totally give it an overhaul?

Re: Tokyo Disneyland's Tomorrowland?

Make an Iron Man ride with the Kuka Arm. Stark is all about technology and the future.

one hundred and one

Comment

Originally posted by ICe101 View Post
      However, it is no secret that Tomorrowland is outdated. It is no longer Tomorrowland and is more like "Retroland". So what would you do to Tomorrowland? Not change anything at all? Totally give it an overhaul?

Be careful what you wish for. Everyone griped throughout Disneyland's 80s about it being Yesterland. Now I long for those days back again. You can do something right... or you can mess it up really bad. Disney tends to do the latter lately.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
      http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
      http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

Unfortunately, whatever Tokyo or any other DL does to refurb Tomorrowland will always be outdated. Technology moves to quickly. And to be constantly updated with new innoventions is simply unrealistic for the Parks. However, I must say that of all the Tomorrowland's out there-Paris' Discoveryland is by the far the best from decor and design (not rides). I think that retro-yet still futuristic-industrial age is perfect and now if someone can just come up with a way to take that theming and incorporate it into a Tomorrowland scenario-the problem would be solved.

Comment

If rumors are true and Mr. Baxter & co. implement a full makeover of DL's Tomorrowland within the next decade, it's quite possible that TDL will then follow suit. Although I like the retro-MK look of TDL's original Tomorrowland theming, I understand why it can be thought of as outdated. I just hope whatever replaces it (if it is replaced, that is) is sufficiently exceptional to justify the change. I think a Parisian style Discoveryland would work well, if they could think up some good rides. Main disadvantage is that there are already two Discoveryland-ish sections in TDL, so many of the good stories are already represented there.
          Down with the Hat

Comment

A lot of people argue that Tokyo Disneyland's Tomorrowland is great because it still captures that true 'World on the Move' style that Walt had envisioned for Tomorrow. It portrays the elegance and the class that was available with the 1967 Tomorrowland.
            Actually, TDL's Tomorrowland emulates WDW's Tomorrowland of the 70s.. which to me remains more futuristic and sharp in look than any other ones every built before and since, and that includes the horrible remakes at DL and the MK park. DLP's TL is more of the retro look since it uses Jules Verne's novels as an inspiration, whiole HKDL's is more cartoonish in design.. reason why anything Pixar feels at home there.

However, it is no secret that Tomorrowland is outdated.
            This is your opinion, and it is opened to interpretation and argument. I personally do not think that TDL's TL is outdated.. especially when I walk pass some of it's buildings like Star Tours and the Pan Galatic Pizza place.. The architecture here remains classic MK TL but it is still sharp and geometrically slick, and in many ways much more futuristic than all of the other TLs at the other DL parks worldwide. To me, that is a more realistic representation of the new type of architecture we see in many cities as we move forward in the 21st century.. so I think the imagineers were quite inspired when they designed the MK's TL, which is exactly what we got at TDL.
            It is no longer Tomorrowland and is more like "Retroland".
            I'd like to re-emphazise that I disgree with you, simply because (again).. most aspects of TDL's TL remains slick in design. The only fault I give this particular TL is.. the same criticism I give the others. Over time, the imagineers have lost their way and added themes that are not in sycn with the original theme/feel/atmosphere, and that is what have destroyed the many Tomorrowlands over the last decades.
            So what would you do to Tomorrowland? Not change anything at all? Totally give it an overhaul?
            I would not change a thing, for sentimental reasons... this is the Tomorrowland I grew up with at the MK in 1972 and the one I prefer over the others. I just hope that if the time ever come for Disney to re-design TDL's TL, I hope they don't screw it up like they have done in CA and FL.

Comment

I can't remember now who it was with the excellent post about a "greener" vision for Tomorrowland, but an "eco" approach would go over really well in Tokyo, I think.

It would be really cool if they could somehow show on-site recycling of all the waste produced in the parks!^^

Comment

A decade ago ... imagineering came up with a new look .. but never came to be: Sci-Fi city.

Aspects of it will most likely return when they do redesign it. Most likely something with a very "fantasy toony" feel - unfortunately .... Due to the very toony nature this land is taking on .. with Buzz Lightyear .. and now Monsters Inc.

Monsters Inc. have absolute ZERO connection to a world of the future ... so, as far as I'm concerned ..... the futuristic design of the land has been lost. Stick it with HKDL's and WDW's as all three have enough toon-filled adventures ...... with DL Anaheim's not far behind with a Pixar talking fish in the Submarine Voyage - to go with Buzz.

Between TDL, DLP, HKDL, and DL in Anaheim .. we've had Buzz, Nemo, Stitch, Monsters Inc. characters invade the various "Tomorrowland"s of the 5 "Magic Kingdom" parks ........ and I'm completely disgusted executives want to cram more ... to the rumor DL is supposedly slated to have Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor.

It's more than disconcerting that this trend is happening.

But apparently those in the highest levels have absolutely no interest if some properties have no place in certain lands!
                Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 09-22-2009, 03:34 AM.
                MY SIGNATURE:
                Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

I'd actually disagree about it begin "on the move" for the simple reason that hardly anything moves. The Skyway is gone, there's no peoplemover, Star Jets can't even be seen from the entrance etc. Plus the revolving Meet the World show is gone and there was never a submarine ride or monorail path going through the land like in Disneyland.

On top of the awful colour pattern on the entry towers which don't have waterfalls (or if they do they can not been seen in pictures well) TDL's Tomorrowland takes everything that made the 70s WDW model work and ruins it. Like World Bazzar it's one of the less appealing looking lands of the park.

Should something be done? Sure, especially if it's the long overdue Sci-Fi city overhaul, but a remodel should not try to be realistically futuristic.
                  I like The Happiest Millionaire. What's wrong with that?

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X