This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Soarin' Over Japan in TDL's TL

What if Disney Soar'd over China and put it in Japan. That'd really tick them off!

Andto the above poster ^ Californians soar over California and love it (at least I do). So...?

one hundred and one

Comment

A California themed park in California never made sense to me.

Comment

Makes cense that maybe the Japanese wouldn't want Soarin' over Japan. I think DCA, Soarin' over California, because the park was to celebrate the state of California, so it seems to fit.

I think with the states side parks, people come from other areas and Soarin' over California in California isn't a bad idea, gives guest a taste of the the state has to offer. Where I don't think it fits is at Epcot. I look forward to them changing it.

From what I gather on line TDR is more in general a locals park. I have read a lot of post stating that only the die hard Disney fans travel to Tokyo. I have no idea if that is true or not.

With that said if TDR is more for locals, then I would hope to see a Soarin' over what ever they might like to see.
        Last edited by DuffyGuardian; 10-05-2009, 03:25 PM.
        Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
        Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum
        :love:Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011:love:

Comment

I'd like a Magic Carpet Ride and some love for other sections of TDS outside of American Waterfront.

Honestly, I think a cool way to make it original would be to make it all film-quality animation so that I feel like I'm flying through a cartoon. Sindbad kinda does this already, but I think it would be a very different experience.

Comment

Originally posted by DuffyDad View Post
            I'd like a Magic Carpet Ride and some love for other sections of TDS outside of American Waterfront.

Honestly, I think a cool way to make it original would be to make it all film-quality animation so that I feel like I'm flying through a cartoon. Sindbad kinda does this already, but I think it would be a very different experience.
            Well, they could add the Magic Carpet spinners that are at WDW's Magic Kingdom and Walt Disney Studios Paris! No, I get what you mean though. They actually did have something like what you're talking about at DisneyQuest years ago. By today's standards, the quality of the 3D animation wouldn't hold up, but it was a 3D flight through Agrabah on a magic carpet. I think it would work if they let Walt Disney Feature Animation do the work, and make it really look like the film. That would be a pretty neat simulator!
            Meow

Comment

Japanese guests who come to Tokyo Disneyland love all things American.

So they'd probably want to see San Francisco, LA, New York and Miami.

Comment

Originally posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
                Japanese guests who come to Tokyo Disneyland love all things American.

So they'd probably want to see San Francisco, LA, New York and Miami.
                I'm not sure how true that is these days. Maybe at its start, but it seems to me like contemporary Japanese Guests are into the characters, shows, theming and merchandise. They seem to enjoy the particularly Japanese expression of Disney as much as international Guests do. I may be wrong; I haven't done a poll or anything. But it doesn't seem like "American" has much to do with it at all. Lots of my Japanese students and friends who've been to WDW and Disneyland report sadly that Americans don't seem to "get" or "get into" the park experience like people do at TDR. And they laugh openly all the time about how fat we are. It's the number one thing the young ones say when they come back from WDW (or most places in the States, really) - "Why are American people so fat?"* They think we are stupidly unhealthy. While I don't think that's baseless (I've never been active in any sports in my life and could seriously use a gym membership in place of another Annual Passport^^), I've seen them point and laugh with each other even in front of Guests at TDR. The past year I visited alone a lot and had a lot of time to observe. I found this behavior shocking and upsetting, but I found it frequently. I think America worship, if it ever really existed, is kinda over. I used to believe it's just their shock at seeing such big people because there really is such a HUGE difference in the proportion of truly overweight people in the population, but there are really big Japanese people and I've seen them at TDR, too. I haven't seen pointing and laughing. It seems like that's reserved as a cheap shot at "gaijin," and I've seen it happen a lot. Mostly among teenagers and twentysomethings, but not exclusively.

#2: They totally don't understand, either, why Americans don't wear "ears.")

*Just to be clear, when students have asked this, they nearly always looked like they were actually expecting me to give them an answer that would make sense of this mystery, not just being indirectly insulting.
                Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 10-06-2009, 09:39 AM. Reason: *

Comment

Good point, but what led them to get into Disney in the first place?

I think that Americans go in the opposite direction. I know someone who's into Anime who's getting into other Japanese culture and picked Japanese as his foreign language in college. He likes watching Japanese cartoons in Japanese now and listening for phrases and words he understands.

Comment

Ok, that's it...Mods, close this thread.(it seems some ideas ether work or they don't, I guess it will just take a few years until TDR is up for an Soarin' type attraction.)

Timekeeper.
                    sigpicNow the Tower of Sauron has fallen
                    Also, this picture and my Avatar was taken with a Nintendo DSi System and Nyko Magnification Lens & Case for DSi.

Comment

DuffyDad, that funny they ask why American's don't ware their ears in the park. I noticed that while at TDR, that the Japanese really get into the ears and thought it was cool. Even though about getting a pair, although I wouldn't ware it in the parks here, because the pair I wanted are something you ware when its really cold. And well California doesn't get that cold. lol
                      Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
                      Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum
                      :love:Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011:love:

Comment

Originally posted by TDR_Fan View Post
                        I have no doubt that they will have the money to spend on it, but I don't think that WDI will film a seperate and unique film just for DisneySea. It would make much more sense (and frankly save a lot of time) to just use the same film that is replacing DCA's and Epcot's.
                        Do you not understand how TDR works? WDI would design it and OLC would fund it. If you pay Imagineers, they will do it. Don't even think of Tokyo Disney in the same budget frame as the other Resorts.

Comment

Originally posted by lighttragic View Post
                          I just hope if they get teh Star tours version 2, they would opt to redo the entire land.. Theyre is so much potential for Tommorowland I feel it really needs to be updated. I would imagine the Japanese crowd would go nuts if they had the type of space mountain Disneyland in Anaheim has.
                          You do know that Tokyo's Space Mountain is an exact clone of Disneyland's version right? I mean before the refurbs, they were exactly the same, more cloned then almost any attraction at TDL.

In fact, I just wrote a mini-essay on it with old photos of Tokyo's Space Mountain on my site. Enjoy!
                          Tokyo Disneyland

Comment

The thing about Tokyo Disneyland's Space Mountain that is different, and might be confusing people into thinking it's maybe like WDW's, is that it's not sunken. At Disneyland, they had to dig a huge pit to install the attraction, so it's partly underground. That way the spires of the attraction aren't too obvious over the entire park. If they hadn't done that, it would have dwarfed everything else and blew the scale out of proportion. At Tokyo Disneyland, they couldn't dig down, since it's on reclaimed land. Plus, since the size of the park is more like the Magic Kingdom, they didn't have to worry too much about scale. So, the building looks much bigger than Disneyland's, but the inside is (was) the same.
                            Meow

Comment

Originally posted by Janell View Post
                              DuffyDad, that funny they ask why American's don't ware their ears in the park. I noticed that while at TDR, that the Japanese really get into the ears and thought it was cool. Even though about getting a pair, although I wouldn't ware it in the parks here, because the pair I wanted are something you ware when its really cold. And well California doesn't get that cold. lol
                              TDR has much better options for ears and such, though. And TINY HATS!

Comment

I think Soarin could be good fit at TDL's TL or in the Mediterranean or American sections of TDS. But I don't think there's any space left in Tomorrowland, unless maybe they built it where Autopia is, which I don't think is likely to happen.

Soarin tends to polarize opinion. I belong to the camp which thinks it a very enjoyable attraction worthy of the Disney name. There is potential for improvement over the existing versions...with better theming, higher resolution, and 3D. The attraction offers the possibility of periodically being updated with new locations at a cost that is not too prohibitive. Not too mention, if the great popularity of this ride in CA and FL is anything to go by, then either TDR or DLRP is almost guaranteed a big hit if they add this attraction in some form.

I wouldn't support a Soarin' over Japan though...I think that would be too restrictive. Soarin' over the World is the way to go, and if rumors prove true, that's what we should expect stateside around 2013.
                                Down with the Hat

Comment

"Soarin' Over The World" is a great idea. I hope it happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Bungle View Post
                                    TDR has much better options for ears and such, though. And TINY HATS!
                                    I assume from what people have said that we have these options in Tokyo because a lot of people will actually buy them. From what I hear, that's not as true in America. And it has always seemed to me that OLC merchandising takes more risks generally.

Just to keep on topic... I suggested Soarin' in Arabian Coast, but it just occurred to me that it sounds like a similar experience to StormRider in being a video simulation, so maybe it would be better in TDL. Oh, but I just remembered Star Tours...nevermind. I love the Walt Disney Animation Agrabah fly over after all.

Or even a Soarin' the Seven Seas that flies over and through an animated rendition of the seven Ports - through New York streets bustling with original animated characters/animals/weather, over a sailing Columbia, dives down into Mermaid Lagoon, through the jungles of Lost River Delta...all with animated characters and a large-scale view of the Ports of Call. Not sure if I've explained this the way I see it, but the way I see it would be incredible, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by lighttragic View Post
                                      I just hope if they get teh Star tours version 2, they would opt to redo the entire land.. Theyre is so much potential for Tommorowland I feel it really needs to be updated. I would imagine the Japanese crowd would go nuts if they had the type of space mountain Disneyland in Anaheim has.
                                      With the suscess of the Halloween overlay to Space Mountain in Anaheim and Hong Kong, you do have to wonder if OLC would ever consider giving it a go in Japan. But it would mean quite an extensive refurbishment to add speakers and lighting efects to the attraction. Perhaps for TDL 30th Anniversary OLC would consider closing both Space Mountain and Star Tours down and giving both the updates that are enjoyed in Anaheim.
                                      Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/malin1804

Comment

I'm sure TDR will follow soon-since they alway seem to take an idea one step further and make it even better. I was surprised in the last rehab, that they didn't bother adding music to the attraction the way Disneyland did.

I assume lighting or projections wouldn't be too big a budget to add.

Since I've never seen it, other than on youtube- I wish they would ship off the glow in the dark Halloween parade from Hong Kong with the big Nightmare float somewhere so I can see it.

Comment

The Oriental Land company doesn't "always" make things better. The Haunted Mansion has had no upgrades and those now on view in both Orlando and Anaheim are slated to appear in TDL anytime soon.
                                          Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X