• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timekeeper
    replied
    Re: Soarin' Over Japan in TDL's TL

Originally posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    You know how Disney took the design from "Test Track" and plussed for "Radiator Springs Racers"? I want them to do that with "Soarin Over California" for the next generation/incarnation of this technology. Utilize this technology to tell a story. Something immersive and cohesive and Disney.
    Hmmmmmmm, Bednobs and broomsticks anyone?

Timekeeper

Leave a comment:

• TDR_Fan
    replied

Originally posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    You know how Disney took the design from "Test Track" and plussed for "Radiator Springs Racers"? I want them to do that with "Soarin Over California" for the next generation/incarnation of this technology. Utilize this technology to tell a story. Something immersive and cohesive and Disney.
    I agree. Though Soarin' is a really neat experience, it really has no storyline at all. The transitions are jarring, and the way the vehicles are organized in front of the screen make it hard to get immersed. The motion is very realistic, but the execution is far from it.

Leave a comment:

• CaliforniaAdventurer
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Bungle
    replied

Is there video of the old Sinbad? I've only been on the musical-style version.

Leave a comment:

• TDR_Fan
    replied

Originally posted by Malin View Post
    I actually think the main reason for the Haunted Mansion not recieving any upgrades is in fact down to its popularity. From what I have observed from the OLC is that most of the attractions that have recieved updates have been attractions that draw the least people. Pirates used to be a walk on but since the Capn Jack Sparrow overlay the attraction attracts a lot more Guest, and now even uses the side building as a queue. This is also the reson why the Tiki Room was recently updated again. If money is not spent on updating an attraction it usually means OLC are happy with its performance, and see no reason to waste money on an attraction that doesn't need it!

Makes me wonder how they feel about Sindbad's Storybook Voyage, considering it still has yet to see the lines it deserves despite the hefty amount of time and money spent in its re-designing. Though whether it was for better or worse is up to debate. I really enjoyed the creepy atmosphere and danger of the old version, but I guess the new musical-style adventure has its fans too.

Leave a comment:

• Malin
    replied

Since I've never seen it, other than on youtube- I wish they would ship off the glow in the dark Halloween parade from Hong Kong with the big Nightmare float somewhere so I can see it.
    I think the idea is there want you to visit Hong Kong to see the parade in person.

The Oriental Land company doesn't "always" make things better. The Haunted Mansion has had no upgrades and those now on view in both Orlando and Anaheim are slated to appear in TDL anytime soon.
    With Monsters Inc and Crush opening this year, plus Mickey's PhillharMagic, Castle walk though and Toy Story Mania all in development, exactly how much money do you think the OLC has to spend on attractions. Personally not having the updates in Tokyo is hardly a big deal, because the attraction is so well maintened it looks brand new anyway.

I had a feeling it was because the main attraction itself is not as popular as its holiday counterpart, which itself lasts a good quarter of the year. They were pretty quick to add in Jack Sparrow in Pirates of the Caribbean, so it does strike me odd that they've been unresponsive to the brilliant changes done to the stateside Mansions.
    I actually think the main reason for the Haunted Mansion not recieving any upgrades is in fact down to its popularity. From what I have observed from the OLC is that most of the attractions that have recieved updates have been attractions that draw the least people. Pirates used to be a walk on but since the Capn Jack Sparrow overlay the attraction attracts a lot more Guest, and now even uses the side building as a queue. This is also the reson why the Tiki Room was recently updated again. If money is not spent on updating an attraction it usually means OLC are happy with its performance, and see no reason to waste money on an attraction that doesn't need it!

Leave a comment:

• TDR_Fan
    replied

I was wondering why they still have the most outdated Haunted Mansion to date. I had a feeling it was because the main attraction itself is not as popular as its holiday counterpart, which itself lasts a good quarter of the year. They were pretty quick to add in Jack Sparrow in Pirates of the Caribbean, so it does strike me odd that they've been unresponsive to the brilliant changes done to the stateside Mansions.

Leave a comment:

• Fukai
    replied

The Oriental Land company doesn't "always" make things better. The Haunted Mansion has had no upgrades and those now on view in both Orlando and Anaheim are slated to appear in TDL anytime soon.

Leave a comment:

• jedimaster7313
    replied

I'm sure TDR will follow soon-since they alway seem to take an idea one step further and make it even better. I was surprised in the last rehab, that they didn't bother adding music to the attraction the way Disneyland did.

I assume lighting or projections wouldn't be too big a budget to add.

Since I've never seen it, other than on youtube- I wish they would ship off the glow in the dark Halloween parade from Hong Kong with the big Nightmare float somewhere so I can see it.

Leave a comment:

• Malin
    replied

Originally posted by lighttragic View Post
    I just hope if they get teh Star tours version 2, they would opt to redo the entire land.. Theyre is so much potential for Tommorowland I feel it really needs to be updated. I would imagine the Japanese crowd would go nuts if they had the type of space mountain Disneyland in Anaheim has.
    With the suscess of the Halloween overlay to Space Mountain in Anaheim and Hong Kong, you do have to wonder if OLC would ever consider giving it a go in Japan. But it would mean quite an extensive refurbishment to add speakers and lighting efects to the attraction. Perhaps for TDL 30th Anniversary OLC would consider closing both Space Mountain and Star Tours down and giving both the updates that are enjoyed in Anaheim.

Leave a comment:

• DuffyDaisuki
    replied

Originally posted by Mr. Bungle View Post
    TDR has much better options for ears and such, though. And TINY HATS!
    I assume from what people have said that we have these options in Tokyo because a lot of people will actually buy them. From what I hear, that's not as true in America. And it has always seemed to me that OLC merchandising takes more risks generally.

Just to keep on topic... I suggested Soarin' in Arabian Coast, but it just occurred to me that it sounds like a similar experience to StormRider in being a video simulation, so maybe it would be better in TDL. Oh, but I just remembered Star Tours...nevermind. I love the Walt Disney Animation Agrabah fly over after all.

Or even a Soarin' the Seven Seas that flies over and through an animated rendition of the seven Ports - through New York streets bustling with original animated characters/animals/weather, over a sailing Columbia, dives down into Mermaid Lagoon, through the jungles of Lost River Delta...all with animated characters and a large-scale view of the Ports of Call. Not sure if I've explained this the way I see it, but the way I see it would be incredible, I think.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Bungle
    replied

"Soarin' Over The World" is a great idea. I hope it happens.

Leave a comment:

• tasman
    replied

I think Soarin could be good fit at TDL's TL or in the Mediterranean or American sections of TDS. But I don't think there's any space left in Tomorrowland, unless maybe they built it where Autopia is, which I don't think is likely to happen.

Soarin tends to polarize opinion. I belong to the camp which thinks it a very enjoyable attraction worthy of the Disney name. There is potential for improvement over the existing versions...with better theming, higher resolution, and 3D. The attraction offers the possibility of periodically being updated with new locations at a cost that is not too prohibitive. Not too mention, if the great popularity of this ride in CA and FL is anything to go by, then either TDR or DLRP is almost guaranteed a big hit if they add this attraction in some form.

I wouldn't support a Soarin' over Japan though...I think that would be too restrictive. Soarin' over the World is the way to go, and if rumors prove true, that's what we should expect stateside around 2013.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Bungle
    replied

Originally posted by Janell View Post
    DuffyDad, that funny they ask why American's don't ware their ears in the park. I noticed that while at TDR, that the Japanese really get into the ears and thought it was cool. Even though about getting a pair, although I wouldn't ware it in the parks here, because the pair I wanted are something you ware when its really cold. And well California doesn't get that cold. lol
    TDR has much better options for ears and such, though. And TINY HATS!

Leave a comment:

• gurgi
    replied

The thing about Tokyo Disneyland's Space Mountain that is different, and might be confusing people into thinking it's maybe like WDW's, is that it's not sunken. At Disneyland, they had to dig a huge pit to install the attraction, so it's partly underground. That way the spires of the attraction aren't too obvious over the entire park. If they hadn't done that, it would have dwarfed everything else and blew the scale out of proportion. At Tokyo Disneyland, they couldn't dig down, since it's on reclaimed land. Plus, since the size of the park is more like the Magic Kingdom, they didn't have to worry too much about scale. So, the building looks much bigger than Disneyland's, but the inside is (was) the same.

Leave a comment:

• kayoss
    replied

Originally posted by lighttragic View Post
    I just hope if they get teh Star tours version 2, they would opt to redo the entire land.. Theyre is so much potential for Tommorowland I feel it really needs to be updated. I would imagine the Japanese crowd would go nuts if they had the type of space mountain Disneyland in Anaheim has.
    You do know that Tokyo's Space Mountain is an exact clone of Disneyland's version right? I mean before the refurbs, they were exactly the same, more cloned then almost any attraction at TDL.

In fact, I just wrote a mini-essay on it with old photos of Tokyo's Space Mountain on my site. Enjoy!
    Tokyo Disneyland

Leave a comment:

• Ice101
    replied

Originally posted by TDR_Fan View Post
    I have no doubt that they will have the money to spend on it, but I don't think that WDI will film a seperate and unique film just for DisneySea. It would make much more sense (and frankly save a lot of time) to just use the same film that is replacing DCA's and Epcot's.
    Do you not understand how TDR works? WDI would design it and OLC would fund it. If you pay Imagineers, they will do it. Don't even think of Tokyo Disney in the same budget frame as the other Resorts.

Leave a comment:

• DuffyGuardian
    replied

DuffyDad, that funny they ask why American's don't ware their ears in the park. I noticed that while at TDR, that the Japanese really get into the ears and thought it was cool. Even though about getting a pair, although I wouldn't ware it in the parks here, because the pair I wanted are something you ware when its really cold. And well California doesn't get that cold. lol

Leave a comment:

• Timekeeper
    replied

Ok, that's it...Mods, close this thread.(it seems some ideas ether work or they don't, I guess it will just take a few years until TDR is up for an Soarin' type attraction.)

Timekeeper.

Leave a comment:

• CaliforniaAdventurer
    replied

Good point, but what led them to get into Disney in the first place?

I think that Americans go in the opposite direction. I know someone who's into Anime who's getting into other Japanese culture and picked Japanese as his foreign language in college. He likes watching Japanese cartoons in Japanese now and listening for phrases and words he understands.

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X