X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] DisneySEA dilemma!

Hi Everyone!

I'm Mike_Wazowski and have been reading these forums for a few months now before deciding to join. Please be easy on me- this is my first post!

I have been going to Disney Parks since I was 5 and have been to Florida three times and Paris three times. I have absolutely loved theme since then and tell EVERYONE how much I love them!

A few years ago I got into reading about Imagineering and the design process behind the parks, and got many books about this. However, I always looked at the concept art and thought "why couldn't it look as good as that?!"

However, then I discovered Tokyo DisneySEA which is the only park where the pictures of the real thing exceed the beauty of the concept art! I've read so much about it and it looks well... breathtaking!

So this and reading you talk about the park made me desperate to go there! However, I am only a teenager so I can't just save up and go ( I don't have a job). The rest of my family all love theme parks (especially Disney and Universal) and so I fairly sure they would all enjoy it as well. And from what I've read it seems like it would be well worth the investment, I know we could afford it with careful planning.

I would also love to see Japan- it looks an amazing country with a fantastic culture so different from my life! Universal Studios Japan and Tokyo Disneyland also look excellent (especially Pooh's Hunny Hunt!)

However, when I brought it up, my parents didn't like the idea, saying it was not worth it and too expensive (we live in the UK). So how can I show them how amazing this park is and convince my family to want to go there? I'm sure if we saved up and went economically we could afford it. I'm not asking to stay in the Mira Costa...:blush:

So how do you think I can show them or should I give up on my DisneySEA dream until I grow up and can afford it myself?

Here is a description of my family members- what would they enjoy in Disneysea:

Dad- Loves smoooth coasters, but appreciates story, theming and attention to detail (does not like Mission 2 in Paris' Space Mountain because of this!)
    Favourite Attraction: Rock 'n' Roller Coaster

Mom- Loves well-put together rides but not big thrills (Florida's Space Mountain is her limit!)
    Favourite Attraction: Possibly Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin (when her gun is 'working'! lol)

Brother1- Like thrills combined with a compelling story.
    Favourite Attraction: Tower of Terror

Brother2- Like thrills, thrills and more thrills! Likes story but thinks thrills should come first!
    Favourite Attraction: Possibly Incredible Hulk Coaster (He likes it more than Spiderman!)

Brother3- Likes cute things- classic Disney!
    Favourite Attraction: It's a Small World/ Peter Pan's Flight

Thanks in advance for your help- I am looking forward to joining the MiceChat community!

Re: DisneySEA dilemma!

For:

Dad - There is Raging Spirits but I have heard that can be quite rough at times. Therefore, I suggest you sell him on either Indiana Jones, Journey to the Center of the Earth (most roller coaster like), or Tower of Terror.

Mom - Sinbad's Storybook Adventure, Magic Lamp Theater, Aquatopia, Strom Rider, 20k Under the Sea, there is plenty for her to chose from.

Brother1 - Tower of Terror, DisneySea's theme is far superior to the others.

Brother2 - Indiana Jones, Journey to the Center of the Earth, and Tower of Terror

Brother3 - Sinbad, Aquatopia, 20k Under the Sea.

Another you should definitely inform them about is the entertainment. Entertainment at DisneySea is astonishing with The Legend of Mythica, what many consider to be the best day time show of all time, along with Big Band Beat, Mermaid Lagoon Theater, Mystic Rhythms, Meet and Smile, Over the Waves, and Donald's Boat Builders, there really is something for everyone at Tokyo DisneySea.

Comment

Thanks- those suggestions seem to make a lot of sense!

This entertainment thing in Tokyo I find really interesting- the shows sound spectacular- especially the Legend of Mythica! If only all the shows were that great in Paris and Florida...

I'm glad there seems to be a lot for everyone as well- I think my family will appreciate this!

But what should I show them to capture DisneySEA at its best? Any good resoures, videos, websites etc. which would show to them that a trip to DisneySEA would be better than yet ANOTHER trip to Florida?

Comment

What makes me want to travel to DisneySea from eastern USA is that it represents a new level in park design & quality with respect to materials, architecture, story & detail. DLP (in 1995) was a close second in these categories but can now sometimes look neglected rather than shining.

TDS, on the other hand, is well-maintained and so intricately-designed that I could walk around and not even go on its extraordinary & original attractions, and still feel like I've had my money's worth.

If you're to convince your family why its worth the money/time to visit you need to show them what makes it so special.

For example, look at the difference in ordinary themed-design and TDS themed-design of this Itialian Riviera area:

Orlando:

Tokyo:

Orlando:

Tokyo:

Orlando:

Tokyo:

Orlando:

Tokyo:

Or this Arabian-themed area:

Orlando:

Tokyo:

This gives a sense that with TDS you are talking about quality a full order of magnitude greater than most other parks.

Check out some more pics in the great meanderingmouse's tokyo photo sets:
        Tokyo Disneysea June 07 - a set on Flickr

Also, YoutubeHD videos of the park can be convincing:
        [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XlEDBC5FJA&hd=1"]YouTube - Tokyo DisneySEA Part 2 / ???????????[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wKrtJoFuOU&hd=1"]YouTube - TDS ?????????????????[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMhBS6Zr7HI&hd=1"]YouTube - ?????????????[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkWDd1Lf7uk&hd=1"]YouTube - Tokyo DisneySea: Journey to The Center Of The Earth[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TM8-XMzE4Y&hd=1"]YouTube - 20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA [Tokyo Disenysea]?HD[/ame]

In the long-term, you may want to study Japanese language in school or on your own - this will be good for your future career as well as allow you to enjoy DisneySea much more when you get there one day.

Good luck.
        http://www.idealbuildout.blogspot.com/

Comment

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but even if TDS were 100 times better than the second best theme park in the world, using a theme park as the main reason for spending some significant money to take a large family to Japan might be the wrong approach.

Just like it isn't worth it to drive 10 hours only to go eat at a fantastic hamburger restaurant, taking a larger family from the UK to Japan mainly to go to TDS doesn't sound worth it.

I would push the educational and cultural awareness benifits from visiting Japan instead of using the attributes of TDS.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger55 View Post
            Maybe I'm in the minority here, but even if TDS were 100 times better than the second best theme park in the world, using a theme park as the main reason for spending some significant money to take a large family to Japan might be the wrong approach.

Just like it isn't worth it to drive 10 hours only to go eat at a fantastic hamburger restaurant, taking a larger family from the UK to Japan mainly to go to TDS doesn't sound worth it.

I would push the educational and cultural awareness benifits from visiting Japan instead of using the attributes of TDS.

I will have to agree with you. When i planned my trip to Japan last January for two weeks, i mostly planned the trip to Japan to visit my friends and exprience the cultural aspect more than going to TDR. I only went to TDR after i wanted to experience a couple of fun days with my friends their since they had not been in so long. We were only their for one full day at TDL and only 1/2 day at TDS but we enjoyed our time as much as possible. I wished we could have stayed longer but i figured i would be coming back to Japan in two short years that can schedule another two day at TDR. TDR was fun, but the main reason for me going to Japan was the awesome experience i was given to go to one of the world's top leading countries and experience a different culture.

The same will be when i will be going to Europe next summer. I will be going with a tour company aimed for young adults like myself and touring around Europe for three weeks. I know this will be an awesome experience, but i also want to plan to DLRP for two days. These will the relaxing days and starting to wind down after a long three weeks in Europe.

I hope this helps
            Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Visited/Future Visits:

Disneyland Resort: 1987, 1989, 1992, 1994, 2000, 2011, 2014, 2016

Walt Disney World Resort: ???

Tokyo Disney Resort: 2009

Disneyland Resort Paris: ???

Hong Kong Disneyland Resort: ???

Comment

Mike...my advice, for what it's worth...is that you have your life in front of you, more important things like studies for now...that some day will allow you to afford a DisneySea trip for yourself. In the meantime...if you live in America and haven't been to Anaheim...that's my recommendation for you and the family.
              Down with the Hat

Comment

Don't hound your parents. Odds are they know the Tokyo Resort in Disney offers new and exciting things, but it may not be in there budget and they may not want to tell you that. If you do hound them then they might feel obligated to go and risk financial problems in the long run. What I'd ask is for a Tokyo vacation within the next couple of years so they are aware and can save up. It costs a lot, a lot of money.

WDW may not be up to TDS quality- heck, NO Disney park is even near TDS quality- but it's still a quality vacation.

Just plant the seed for a Tokyo vacation and watch it grow. Don't play your whole hand.

one hundred and one

Comment

Originally posted by Imagineer Scott View Post
                  Don't hound your parents. Odds are they know the Tokyo Resort in Disney offers new and exciting things, but it may not be in there budget and they may not want to tell you that. If you do hound them then they might feel obligated to go and risk financial problems in the long run. What I'd ask is for a Tokyo vacation within the next couple of years so they are aware and can save up. It costs a lot, a lot of money.

WDW may not be up to TDS quality- heck, NO Disney park is even near TDS quality- but it's still a quality vacation.

Just plant the seed for a Tokyo vacation and watch it grow. Don't play your whole hand.
                  I agree with scott. Also right now the currency of the US dollar is very bad against japanese yen... I happened to go to japan during this time.... I managed but I would say its best to w ait and save up so you can do tokyo disney right. Perhaps you can sit down with your parents and set a goal or a timeline of when you want to go to Tokyo.

Comment

What some people are saying here is nonsense. TDS not only offers Disney's most elaborate theming but also some great rides and excellent shows. The park is not just eye candy. If your parents do not want to go, too bad. you save and you go on your own when the time is right.

Comment

Thanks- I think this is what I should do! Just try to slowly ease it and give it a go- not try to bug and bug them.

I think the photo comparison is really useful- it just makes TDS all the more amazing.

I think maybe I should carry on enjoying the parks I go to, enjoy the memories, work hard at school and in the future save up so I can have a very special trip (maybe on a gap year?)

It looks incredible but I think I will just have to wait a few years and just read what you write and see your photos. But one day...

Thanks for the wonderful advice it helped me get a perpective on things! Hopefully I will go one day and will be able to fulfil my DREAM!!!

Comment

So your family lives in the UK, not the US as some asked...have you checked into the cost differences of going to TDL instead of WDW?

I would start with that...how you can budget a trip there, including flight, hotel, food, transportation, tickets to the parks, and souvenirs

I was lucky enough to be in Tokyo this year and saw the parks, even though my flight was already covered it was still NOT cheap.

The bus alone from the Narita Airport (which is quite a distance from Tokyo) to my hotel was $35 U.S. and that is not cheap.

I've heard bing.com has a good set up to see travel fares. Get an idea before you start thinking about convincing your parents.

I agree with others, you really should talk about the other aspects of visiting Japan, I really wish I had more time to spend there and I will be setting up a full vacation there soon.
                        My Blog: http://imagineeringmind.wordpress.com

Parks Visited: MK - EPCOT - DHS - DAK - DL - DCA - HKDL - TDL - TDS

Comment

Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
                          What some people are saying here is nonsense. TDS not only offers Disney's most elaborate theming but also some great rides and excellent shows. The park is not just eye candy. If your parents do not want to go, too bad. you save and you go on your own when the time is right.
                          A trip to Tokyo is also very expensive. People can't just go on the drop of a hat. And DLRP is nearby and also has extraordinary themeing and so does WDW. Settle with those for now. TDR, to me, doesn't live up to those expectations set by others. TDS may be the best Disney park but TDL sure isn't.

With that said, I wouldn't hold all of those great expectations set by these posters like TDLfan. It'll be just as fun, but probably not more fun than WDW with 2 more parks, a massive DtD, and 2 water parks or DLRP. The main thing is the difference of experiences the resorts offer.

Also, have you been to DLR? I'd suggest going there the Summer after next to catch WoD, TLM, and Carsland.

Plant the seed and watch it grow.

one hundred and one

Comment

A trip to Tokyo is also very expensive. People can't just go on the drop of a hat. And DLRP is nearby and also has extraordinary themeing plus a Six Flags worthy second gate and so doesn't WDW. Settle with those for now. TDR, to me, doesn't live up to those expectations set by others but exceeds them. TDS may be the best Disney park but TDL sure isn't it just is the best upkept, with the best entertainment and best new attractions.

With that said, I wouldn't hold all of those great expectations set by these posters like TDLfan. It'll be just as fun, but probably not more fun than WDW with 2 more parks that suck compared to TDS, a massive DtD miles away from everything and not as upscale as Ikspaki, and 2 water parks or DLRP with one nice park and another horrid park. The main thing is the difference of experiences the resorts offer.

Also, have you been to DLR? I'd suggest going there the Summer after next to catch WoD, TLM, and Carsland except Carsland doesn't open until 2012 and what in the world is WoD.

Plant the Tokyo Disney seed and watch it grow.
                            Bold is mine.

Comment

A trip to Tokyo is also very expensive. People can't just go on the drop of a hat. And DLRP is nearby and also has extraordinary themeing plus a Six Flags worthy second gate and so doesn't WDW.

I never understood why WDS gets that reputation especially since the extensive expansion it has gotten. It's a cute little park- like HKDL.

Settle with those for now. TDR, to me, doesn't live up to those expectations set by others but exceeds them. TDS may be the best Disney park but TDL sure isn't it just is the best upkept, with the best entertainment and best new attractions.

It in no way exceeds WDW. 1 great park does not beat those 4 very nice parks. WS, DAK as a whole, and Hollywood Blvd/Sunset Blvd. are some of the best Imagineering feats out of all the parks. Paris itself is beautiful- the most beautiful MK style park imo- and their Fantasyland is to die for.

And two new attractions-

MI- didn't live up to the expectations of many- or mine
                              PHH- big feat in Imagineering- but it has been open a while and isn't a very "new" attraction (it's 10 years old...)

And it isn't more upkept than any other Disney resort in my experience.

With that said, I wouldn't hold all of those great expectations set by these posters like TDLfan. It'll be just as fun, but probably not more fun than WDW with 2 more parks that suck compared to TDS, a massive DtD miles away from everything and not as upscale as Ikspaki, and 2 water parks or DLRP with one nice park and another horrid park. The main thing is the difference of experiences the resorts offer.

Every park isn't as great as TDS- but they don't suck compared to it. DAK easily rivals TDS in themeing.

Also, have you been to DLR? I'd suggest going there the Summer after next to catch WoD, TLM, and Carsland except Carsland doesn't open until 2012 and what in the world is WoD.

I meant WoC obviously and Carsland does open in 2012 so go again the Summer after the Summer after next Happy?

Plant the Tokyo Disney seed and watch it grow.

Yes.

one hundred and one

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X