This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News Captain EO Coming to TDL?

According to the venerable Al Lutz, it appears Captain EO's return to DL in Anaheim has interested Orlando and Tokyo.

See the full Al Lutz update here: MiceAge.com - A different look at Disney...

What has also come online in the meantime is the plan to return Captain EO to the Epcot version of the Imagination Institute as well, which is just one part of the larger Kodak pavilion in that Florida park. And the latest wrinkle is that the Oriental Land Company also wants in on the retro-fun and is looking to replace their current MicroAdventure! attraction at Tokyo Disneyland with Captain EO in 2010.

Re: Captain EO Coming to TDL?

If true , the Japanese absolutely adore michael jackson .... This would probably have more fanfare then in anaheim and orlando combined..

Comment

Hai, so desu ne! (Agreed!)

Comment

Why would Japanese people like MJ more? Can they even understand him? lol

one hundred and one

Comment

Originally posted by Imagineer Scott View Post
          Because they just do. There is no need to understand him, the music is universal. It's true, MJ has/had a huge fanbase in Japan.
          Meow

Comment

That's just.... Japan. They love him and a lot of American rock stars more than they are loved here at home.

Comment

I am American and can not always understand MJ. What an uncalled for remark IMO.

Comment

I really hope this is true! I've been thinking quietly that it was inevitable and I hope it happens. Almost every person I know in Japan saw THIS IS IT! and told me I should go. I didn't listen, though, because I'm not really a Michael Jackson fan. I have really started to regret it, though, especially since one of my students yesterday who hates movie theaters and only goes once a year or every two years told me that she saw the movie every day for a week! EO will be HUGE here, and TDR merchandise for it will be a landslide...oooo...and maybe there will even be a Duffy costume!:lol:

PS: By the way, while THIS IS IT! was here, Ikspiari was showing it and MOONWALKER! I feel really dumb now for not making the effort to catch both.
                Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 12-01-2009, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Sounds like they should open two or three in Tokyo and charge an addl admission

Comment

Originally posted by DuffyDad View Post
                    I really hope this is true! I've been thinking quietly that it was inevitable and I hope it happens. Almost every person I know in Japan saw THIS IS IT! and told me I should go. I didn't listen, though, because I'm not really a Michael Jackson fan. I have really started to regret it, though, especially since one of my students yesterday who hates movie theaters and only goes once a year or every two years told me that she saw the movie every day for a week! EO will be HUGE here, and TDR merchandise for it will be a landslide...oooo...and maybe there will even be a Duffy costume!:lol:

PS: By the way, while THIS IS IT! was here, Ikspiari was showing it and MOONWALKER! I feel really dumb now for not making the effort to catch both.
                    Oh man I regret not catching MOONWALKER too! We went to see This is It fairly late when it was showing because our son had to be babysat and the theatre was packed and hard to find a day it was not sold out! It was a really great movie! I really hope they bring EO here!!
                    Please follow me @dreamsweetslove on twitter!
                    https://twitter.com/#!/DreamSweetsLove

Comment

Originally posted by Imagineer Scott View Post
                      Hi Scott, Im sure this quote was not meant in harm, but it can be seen as offensive , The tokyo disney threads are a nice oasis in an otherwise sometimes harsh boards. Lets try to keep it as civil as possible and refrain from making off color comments

Comment

I hope the rumors on the return of Captain Eo are true at all of the parks- not to capitalize on his death, but to make it more of a tribute to Michael. I miss seeing it in 3D on the big screen.

Comment

Originally posted by lighttragic View Post
                          Hi Scott, Im sure this quote was not meant in harm, but it can be seen as offensive , The tokyo disney threads are a nice oasis in an otherwise sometimes harsh boards. Lets try to keep it as civil as possible and refrain from making off color comments
                          I took it to mean not understanding due to language differences and did not think it offensive. Just me.

Comment

Originally posted by HydroGuy View Post
                            I took it to mean not understanding due to language differences and did not think it offensive. Just me.
                            That's not just you. I also just sort of thought it was a literal question that passed casually through the mind of the poster for a moment, at least I hoped so. I teach English in Japan for a living, and I thought it was kinda reasonable for someone who doesn't live here.

And now, I guess, to answer it, I think lots of Michael Jackson's lyrics are pretty simple, as are the messages in them. And I agree with Gurgi that the music itself is universal. Beyond language, the Japanese, like most/all? industrialized consumer nations/economies, love their pop, and :love: iconic phenomena even more! (Just look at Duffy; he's all about icon, and definitely a phenomenon!:lol

Lots of people who only perform in English are very popular in Japan; surely all Americans, as our country is one of the world's major entertainment producers, know that. I figure everyone with Internet access does, actually. I guess that's the thing that makes it seem like the question may have been off-color. I just took it in stride, though. I figured there was no intent to insult Japanese people's English ability, since in order for that to even be insulting, one would have to hold a deep belief that there's something wrong with not understanding English well, even if you live in a country thousands of years old with a strong, independent culture and language. I don't think anyone on these boards thinks like that.

Comment

Originally posted by DuffyDad View Post
                              And now, I guess, to answer it, I think lots of Michael Jackson's lyrics are pretty simple, as are the messages in them. And I agree with Gurgi that the music itself is universal. Beyond language, the Japanese, like most/all? industrialized consumer nations/economies, love their pop, and :love: iconic phenomena even more! (Just look at Duffy; he's all about icon, and definitely a phenomenon!:lol
                              Guess that is a matter of opinion as I have a hard time understanding him half the time - partly due to typical rock/pop lyrics getting swamped by the music - and partly due to slang/cultural references that would be lost on most non-Americans. I know MJ is popular around the world but they must be liking the 10-20% they are able to understand. )

Comment

I think Americans tend to view the world from their own eyes though. Meaning, that most people here don't listen to any foreign language music or entertainment. We export so much entertainment, that I think most people in the US have no interest in global artists. We are kind of insular that way, and not just in music. Look at sports. Where football (soccer) is a huge global phenomenon, we don't tend to care. We have our own football, so who needs the world? I think it's that way with entertainment too, to an extent.

So, I think people just react with "why would they listen to something they can't understand?", because that's how it is here...most people are not listening to J-Pop because they wouldn't even entertain listening to something in a foreign language.
                                Meow

Comment

Fair point, I think you're right.

Comment

Originally posted by gurgi View Post
                                    I think Americans tend to view the world from their own eyes though. Meaning, that most people here don't listen to any foreign language music or entertainment. We export so much entertainment, that I think most people in the US have no interest in global artists. We are kind of insular that way, and not just in music. Look at sports. Where football (soccer) is a huge global phenomenon, we don't tend to care. We have our own football, so who needs the world? I think it's that way with entertainment too, to an extent.

So, I think people just react with "why would they listen to something they can't understand?", because that's how it is here...most people are not listening to J-Pop because they wouldn't even entertain listening to something in a foreign language.
                                    Yes, but...

I travel internationally frequently and think I see American strengths and weaknesses fairly well. I agree with you but would add that IMO one of the things that makes America great is a culture which accepts and rewards risk taking and creativity. We accept risk taking and creativity because we have in our cultural/social DNA self-reliance and the importance of the individual. We reward risk taking and creativity because of our belief in the free market system. This includes protection of intellectual property, something that is very weak in many Asian countries.

Don't get me wrong that I think all of the above is "best" or "perfect". Americans and the American system have many flaws, including being less aware of other cultures than the rest of the world. This often makes us appear out of touch or "cowboys". On the other hand we have been more accepting of internationals moving to our country than just about anyone.

Finally, as long as it is in English I think Americans are perfectly willing to accept international artists. Think U2 and the Beatles.

Comment

Originally posted by HydroGuy View Post
                                      Yes, but...

I travel internationally frequently and think I see American strengths and weaknesses fairly well. I agree with you but would add that IMO one of the things that makes America great is a culture which accepts and rewards risk taking and creativity. We accept risk taking and creativity because we have in our cultural/social DNA self-reliance and the importance of the individual. We reward risk taking and creativity because of our belief in the free market system. This includes protection of intellectual property, something that is very weak in many Asian countries.

Don't get me wrong that I think all of the above is "best" or "perfect". Americans and the American system have many flaws, including being less aware of other cultures than the rest of the world. This often makes us appear out of touch or "cowboys". On the other hand we have been more accepting of internationals moving to our country than just about anyone.

Finally, as long as it is in English I think Americans are perfectly willing to accept international artists. Think U2 and the Beatles.
                                      I understand what you're saying. I was just pointing out that sometimes Americans think everybody else around the world thinks the same way we do. Also, I didn't mean we don't accept international artists. I mean that usually Americans don't listen to something not in English.
                                      Meow

Comment

Originally posted by gurgi View Post
                                        I understand what you're saying. I was just pointing out that sometimes Americans think everybody else around the world thinks the same way we do. Also, I didn't mean we don't accept international artists. I mean that usually Americans don't listen to something not in English.
                                        No problem. Your clarification here is pretty much what I thought you meant in the first place. I just thought it could have been interpreted to be a bit too focused on our cultural weaknesses - of which we have many - like all other cultures. :ccool:

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X