X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Captain EO Coming to TDL?

Originally posted by Roger55 View Post
    I am American and can not always understand MJ. What an uncalled for remark IMO.
    This was the quote that led me to write what I wrote, I dont take offense to it , I hardly take offense to things, but one person wrote this and I chimed in. Sometimes things written on the boards are taken out of context to what the writer means and what the reader thinks the writer wrote.. this may have been the case...

In other news, does anyone think TDR would have to implement fastpass for this if it gets really popular??

Comment

Not sure about Fastpass...maybe. I'm sure it would be more popular than MicroAdventure is at the moment. That goes for everywhere it's playing. I'm surprised that in that list of parks that want Captain EO back, DLP isn't there as well. I'm sure it would play well again there too, especially considering it was only there a few years before HISTA came in.

I just hope it gets a digital restoration and is brought up to current standards. I don't want them showing an obviously aged film.
      Meow

Comment

Originally posted by gurgi View Post
        Not sure about Fastpass...maybe. I'm sure it would be more popular than MicroAdventure is at the moment. That goes for everywhere it's playing. I'm surprised that in that list of parks that want Captain EO back, DLP isn't there as well. I'm sure it would play well again there too, especially considering it was only there a few years before HISTA came in.

I just hope it gets a digital restoration and is brought up to current standards. I don't want them showing an obviously aged film.
        I can't remember DLRP having a HISTA. If not that would limit them.

Comment

Originally posted by lighttragic View Post
          This was the quote that led me to write what I wrote, I dont take offense to it , I hardly take offense to things, but one person wrote this and I chimed in. Sometimes things written on the boards are taken out of context to what the writer means and what the reader thinks the writer wrote.. this may have been the case...
          Since it appears people are speculating about the reason for my comment, let me expound upon my original comment.

First, I am American. I have grown up in America, but also have had some opportunities to live abroad.

The reason why I call the original comment "uncalled for", is that IMO it reflects the myopic/America-centric attitude many Americans do have, and one that people who live in foreign countries see as arrogance.

Someone mentioned J-pop. I would think it would be safe to say that if a J-pop song were to be played in the USA, less than 5% of Americans listening would understand ONE word of Japanese. Now let's talk about Japan and the Japanese. I would say it is safe to say that over 50% of Japanese listening to a MJ song would understand at least some of the words.

And there lies the difference. Japanese do understand that English is an international language, and they emphasize learning English in their school systems. Japanese for the most part, understand that Japan is not the center of the universe, and they strive to be understanding and tolerant of other countries, cultures and languages. For any of you who have actually been to Japan, you know how most things are written in Japanese/English/Korean/Chinese. That is showing respect.

To put a Disney spin on this topic, how many Americans that do go to TDR just "expect" the CMs there to speak English, and the shows and attractions to also be in English? Based on what I read on these boards and others, it is my opinion that many Americans just expect TDR to cater to them and have things in English. Japanese that come to the US Disney parks hardly ever "expect" CMs, shows, attractions to be in Japanese. Quite a difference in attitude between the two IMO.

The comment I labeled "uncalled for" was, IMO, because it reflects the America-centric attitude and also ignores and fails to acknowledge the Japanese people for the respect they do hold for other countries, cultures and languages.

At a minimum, it was an ignorant statement to make, even in jest, IMO.

Comment

I really don't care what they put into the 3D theaters as long as it isn't "Honey, I Shat on the Audience." It was not funny, and already tired, the FIRST time I saw it years ago. Now it's just a boring piece of crap that is taking up valuable real estate.

Even something as dated as Captain EO, which has lousy 3D effects and is pretty lame, would be a thousand times better than what is there currently.

Besides, there are several generations of park goers who have never seen Captain EO as anything other than a fuzzy video on the internet.
            Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

Comment

And, yes, Disneyland Paris does have Honey I Shrunk the Audience.
              Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

Comment

Well Steve Moronis has nothing on MJ in Europe, so I would expect that to be changed out too.

Comment

Originally posted by lighttragic View Post
                  Hi Scott, Im sure this quote was not meant in harm, but it can be seen as offensive , The tokyo disney threads are a nice oasis in an otherwise sometimes harsh boards. Lets try to keep it as civil as possible and refrain from making off color comments

Hi Lighttragic, I'm sure you do know there was no offense to this question.

If Michael Jackson's music is in English and TDL's crowd is usually all Japanese then why would the Japanese have such an interest?

I know MJ is famous worldwide, but I never realized in Japan he was such a star. I guess I'm not familiar with this in America since I don't remember many huge music icons from other countries becoming popular here that speak a different language entirely with no English whatsoever.

Just trying to use common sense and ask a simple question that already got answered. Nothing "off color".

Roger, I hadn't really known what Japanese learn and don't learn in school so it was just a question. Sorry if I caused any trouble, it was a sincere question.

one hundred and one

Comment

Roger that, let's not get hypersensitive.

You've got questions?

We've got answers!

Comment

Originally posted by HydroGuy View Post
                      Guess that is a matter of opinion as I have a hard time understanding him half the time - partly due to typical rock/pop lyrics getting swamped by the music - and partly due to slang/cultural references that would be lost on most non-Americans. I know MJ is popular around the world but they must be liking the 10-20% they are able to understand. )
                      CDs in Japan also usually come with liner notes with both English and Japanese translations of the lyrics. Most also include katakana for the English so that Japanese can learn to sing along to the songs at karaoke, which every single person I know, even with very limited English ability, can do with some pop songs. I daresay it's likely that Japanese Michael Jackson fans know the lyrics a lot better than me, but I'm also not a fan. Still, I really hope EO comes. I'll be excited to see it here, and to see how TDR approaches it.

I think Americans tend to view the world from their own eyes though. Meaning, that most people here don't listen to any foreign language music or entertainment. We export so much entertainment, that I think most people in the US have no interest in global artists. We are kind of insular that way, and not just in music. Look at sports. Where football (soccer) is a huge global phenomenon, we don't tend to care. We have our own football, so who needs the world? I think it's that way with entertainment too, to an extent.

So, I think people just react with "why would they listen to something they can't understand?", because that's how it is here...most people are not listening to J-Pop because they wouldn't even entertain listening to something in a foreign language.
                      I'm inclined to agree completely. The Japanese take is more like "why not try to understand something I might like to listen to?" much more - but not all - of the time. Only I'd argue that the Japanese are truly insular, while Americans are more like "conquerors from afar and from within." Because of my work, of course, I think about this all the time. A student who works for a global bank and speaks near fluent English recently remarked to me how the Japanese economy is like Galapagos in its isolation and specialized standards. This is true. The US, instead, tries to make the world do things its way quite a lot of the time...arguably most of the time. "Our entertainment is the world's entertainment. Our standard is the global standard. So there's nothing to understand really." And, for better or worse, this illusion often feels very real, on both/all sides.

Yes, but...

I travel internationally frequently and think I see American strengths and weaknesses fairly well. I agree with you but would add that IMO one of the things that makes America great is a culture which accepts and rewards risk taking and creativity. We accept risk taking and creativity because we have in our cultural/social DNA self-reliance and the importance of the individual. We reward risk taking and creativity because of our belief in the free market system. This includes protection of intellectual property, something that is very weak in many Asian countries.

Don't get me wrong that I think all of the above is "best" or "perfect". Americans and the American system have many flaws, including being less aware of other cultures than the rest of the world. This often makes us appear out of touch or "cowboys". On the other hand we have been more accepting of internationals moving to our country than just about anyone.

Finally, as long as it is in English I think Americans are perfectly willing to accept international artists. Think U2 and the Beatles.
                      Right. Wow, this reminds me so much of The World Is Flat by Thomas "Lost-In-Translation" Friedman. The fact that his book and its convoluted ideas is so popular in the US is a testament to the point Gurgi was making. I'll resist talking at any length about American capitalism's failure to actually generate the fair shake it promises and how the advent of corporate consumption and strategic intellectual property laws actually destroy creativity exactly like cancer and will ultimately bring about the system's serious overhaul or total downfall, as evidenced by many shifts in the economy in the past year.

Thank all that's good for creators of shows like LOST, HEROES and FLASHFORWARD actually making Americans read subtitles! This seems to be happening on a lot of shows these days, with programs like DEXTER even bringing in bits of Spanish with no subtitles. This is not happening on Japanese TV, where when "foreigners" somehow miraculously speak Japanese it is seen as a novelty (unless they're being laughed at for lack of ability to do so), or in animation where they always just happen to speak Japanese. So in this way, I think there's something to be said for our progress. Still, English is an imperial tool as much as a communication tool, and Gurgi's points are very valid; vindicated even, by that last sentence. What's wrong with America is that despite our greatness, so many of us are not inspired by the world. We will willingly accept it if it comes to us and speaks our language, but we feel very little need in our rich, beautiful, powerful nation - to go and seek it out. I see signs of this changing, but I see this as the current state of affairs.

Originally posted by Roger55 View Post
                      Since it appears people are speculating about the reason for my comment, let me expound upon my original comment.

First, I am American. I have grown up in America, but also have had some opportunities to live abroad.

The reason why I call the original comment "uncalled for", is that IMO it reflects the myopic/America-centric attitude many Americans do have, and one that people who live in foreign countries see as arrogance.

Someone mentioned J-pop. I would think it would be safe to say that if a J-pop song were to be played in the USA, less than 5% of Americans listening would understand ONE word of Japanese. Now let's talk about Japan and the Japanese. I would say it is safe to say that over 50% of Japanese listening to a MJ song would understand at least some of the words.

And there lies the difference. Japanese do understand that English is an international language, and they emphasize learning English in their school systems. Japanese for the most part, understand that Japan is not the center of the universe, and they strive to be understanding and tolerant of other countries, cultures and languages. For any of you who have actually been to Japan, you know how most things are written in Japanese/English/Korean/Chinese. That is showing respect.

To put a Disney spin on this topic, how many Americans that do go to TDR just "expect" the CMs there to speak English, and the shows and attractions to also be in English? Based on what I read on these boards and others, it is my opinion that many Americans just expect TDR to cater to them and have things in English. Japanese that come to the US Disney parks hardly ever "expect" CMs, shows, attractions to be in Japanese. Quite a difference in attitude between the two IMO.

The comment I labeled "uncalled for" was, IMO, because it reflects the America-centric attitude and also ignores and fails to acknowledge the Japanese people for the respect they do hold for other countries, cultures and languages.

At a minimum, it was an ignorant statement to make, even in jest, IMO.
                      I think you're totally right, Roger. Unfortunately, because Americans do so many things very well and so much of the world emulates and adores so many of those things, we sometimes (un?)consciously feel a sense of awareness about the world and our place in it that we don't actually possess. I like to think I was always a fairly conscious person, but I don't think I really saw this as it is until I started teaching English in Japan. Teaching people my native language in a proud country that rarely uses it in daily life, yet feel that they desperately need it to be viable and employable raises lots of issues. There are, undeniably, plenty of Americans who both speak multiple languages and deeply understand America's real place in the world, and the richness of the rest of this planet. But I do think that number is lower than it should be,* and I can say from experience that there are, undeniably, plenty of Americans who come to Japan and get raging mad that everything's not in English, like it "should" be. And, for the record, LOTS of services are available in perfect English. I can't imagine the Japanese having that experience with their mother tongue most anywhere in the States. I do understand what you were getting at. Still, I really don't think the original poster meant any harm.

*And add to the record, my Japanese is not so great.

And at the same time, it was just a couple weeks ago that a student - not the first by a long shot - insisted to me that Japan was Japan and not an Asian country. There is in Japan, that same sentiment of separateness among many, many people. I imagine, sadly, that it exists everywhere. What is great about the United States, in my opinion, is not our free markets or our me-me-me individualism (that makes most of us end up the same anyway), but the way we are so often willing to be open and critical about our own culture. The way we say, "Yeah, I did that, and I might do it again...but I'll try to see it, and I'll try to learn from it." That's what I see happening when all these shows start getting global and not just "multicultural." Of course, the argument could be made that this is just broader reaching America-branding, and time will tell. But on FLASHFORWARD last week there was a story about a robotics engineer in Tokyo, a woman. The story was presented entirely in Japanese. She graduated at the top of her class from a top university and was so happy to be hired by an important company. When the senior execs called her into a meeting, she was thrilled that she was getting a chance to do some impressive work... And they asked her to pour tea. When I explained the story to one of my coworkers and asked if there had ever been a similar image in mainstream Japanese movies or television she'd seen, her first response was, "Oh, yes! There are women whose job is to pour tea in office dramas all the time!" When I explained that I meant a scene in which the irony of the situation is clearly apparent and intended to open the critical eye, she said, "Of course no." So, yeah, America has its issues, but Japan isn't exactly utopian, either. And as far as welcoming foreigners, ask a Korean, a Filipina, or a Chinese (even if they've been naturalized, giving up their Chinese citizenship to "belong" here), all of whom speak perfect Japanese. They'll likely tell a different story.

In my own experience as an English teacher in both public and private schools here, the approach is utterly unlike the American way. English is a tool and little or nothing more from day one. Attempts to understand its role in the world beyond making money or traveling comfortably are rare. I remember my high school Spanish teacher, Ms. Fowler, didn't speak a single word of English from day one of the class, and had lived in Spain for years. It was important to her that we had a sense of the history and culture that brought the language to life, and I was easily excellent in a way that very few Japanese students have the opportunity to be, despite students' dauntless efforts and real personal desire to speak the language that they see leading the world. Of course, if Americans would listen to things that weren't in English, or if our movie studios and record labels weren't such powerful cultural distributors; perhaps Japanese kids could still think about leading the world even if they only spoke their mother tongue, the way most American kids still do.

Agreed, and I hope obvious to the powers that be.

Originally posted by Fukai View Post
                      I really don't care what they put into the 3D theaters as long as it isn't "Honey, I Shat on the Audience." It was not funny, and already tired, the FIRST time I saw it years ago. Now it's just a boring piece of crap that is taking up valuable real estate.
                      :lol:You are really grumpy today!^^
                      Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 12-03-2009, 10:51 AM.

Comment

DuffyDad San, doko desu ka? (what town or city or prefecture?)

Comment

Originally posted by DuffyDad View Post
                          Thank all that's good for creators of shows like LOST, HEROES and FLASHFORWARD actually making Americans read subtitles! This seems to be happening on a lot of shows these days, with programs like DEXTER even bringing in bits of Spanish with no subtitles. This is not happening on Japanese TV, where when "foreigners" somehow miraculously speak Japanese it is seen as a novelty (unless they're being laughed at for lack of ability to do so), or in animation where they always just happen to speak Japanese. So in this way, I think there's something to be said for our progress. Still, English is an imperial tool as much as a communication tool, and Gurgi's points are very valid; vindicated even, by that last sentence. What's wrong with America is that despite our greatness, so many of us are not inspired by the world. We will willingly accept it if it comes to us and speaks our language, but we feel very little need in our rich, beautiful, powerful nation - to go and seek it out. I see signs of this changing, but I see this as the current state of affairs.
                          You may very well be right but I do not think it is a fair comparison. For whatever reason, America has become the entertainment capital of the world. Movies, television, music, etc. I cringe when I think of how other cultures see us and form opinions of us based on our entertainment, which does not represent our culture well. But if the predomininant entertainment offering is American, how can you blame Americans for being focused on American entertainment?

Comment

Originally posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
                            DuffyDad San, doko desu ka? (what town or city or prefecture?)
                            I live in the Tokyo boonies, about an hour out of the city proper. Why do you ask?

You may very well be right but I do not think it is a fair comparison. For whatever reason, America has become the entertainment capital of the world. Movies, television, music, etc. I cringe when I think of how other cultures see us and form opinions of us based on our entertainment, which does not represent our culture well. But if the predomininant entertainment offering is American, how can you blame Americans for being focused on American entertainment?
                            I wasn't blaming anyone for anything; did I really sound like that? Sorry.:blush: I was just saying we should be looking out at more of the world. American television is predominant because we have the money and power to dominate with effects and promotion that are prohibitively unreasonable in nations which have a sincere dedication to education and health care, backed up by adequate taxation because they believe some things are more important than profit, and that controlling the division of wealth - especially at the top - is a serious social/political issue and a government responsibility. Our culture doesn't seem to have this problem, because by and large we buy into our own mythology and advertising.

I love American tv, and I think it's so funny when people find it believable that a young teacher can live in such a gorgeous house with detailed molding and a craft room while his wife doesn't work, like on Glee, or that a moderately successful columnist in Manhattan could actually afford to dress and party like Carrie does in Sex & the City. Thing is, because they've actually left home and come to visit the US, more and more people know it's all crap and it becomes harder to sell people on the power of our way as the best way if we're so dishonest with ourselves. The transparency of our political system with the advent of the Internet has also seriously called our claims of freedom, equality, and even decency more into question in more corners of the globe. Yet ironically, it's still true that the best thing about us is exactly how honest we can be, as even evidenced sometimes by fantastic writing in our television dramas. It's not black or white.

Comment

Well, to be honest, I think that even Americans notice how "fake" TV can be. The fact that the apartments on "Friends" are so ridiculously huge for Manhattan, and the shows you mention "Glee" and "Sex & the City". And most of these "reality" shows. I think people check their brains at the door when watching this stuff, and hopefully the rest of the world does too. Although I'm sure there are people in other countries that do think America is exactly how it's portrayed on film. I do think America is opening up slightly to other cultures. We have a whole lot more foreign films that seem to get a wider release than they used to. Also, the fact that many of those films are subtitled and not dubbed, is another good sign. And, not to be dismissed, are shows for preschoolers like "Dora the Explorer" "Go, Diego, Go!", "Handy Manny" and "Ni Hao Kai Lan", that teach kids other languages like Spanish and Chinese. Those might be token efforts, but when you have little white kids speaking Spanish in the midwest because of these shows, I think it's a step in the right direction.
                              Meow

Comment

I wasn't blaming anyone for anything; did I really sound like that? Sorry.:blush: I was just saying we should be looking out at more of the world. American television is predominant because we have the money and power to dominate with effects and promotion that are prohibitively unreasonable in nations which have a sincere dedication to education and health care, backed up by adequate taxation because they believe some things are more important than profit, and that controlling the division of wealth - especially at the top - is a serious social/political issue and a government responsibility. Our culture doesn't seem to have this problem, because by and large we buy into our own mythology and advertising.

I love American tv, and I think it's so funny when people find it believable that a young teacher can live in such a gorgeous house with detailed molding and a craft room while his wife doesn't work, like on Glee, or that a moderately successful columnist in Manhattan could actually afford to dress and party like Carrie does in Sex & the City. Thing is, because they've actually left home and come to visit the US, more and more people know it's all crap and it becomes harder to sell people on the power of our way as the best way if we're so dishonest with ourselves. The transparency of our political system with the advent of the Internet has also seriously called our claims of freedom, equality, and even decency more into question in more corners of the globe. Yet ironically, it's still true that the best thing about us is exactly how honest we can be, as even evidenced sometimes by fantastic writing in our television dramas. It's not black or white.
                                My turn to apologize. Sorry. "Blame" was too strong a word. You seem to attribute that to American apathy towards other cultures (I think that is what you are saying ). I was just saying no one should find it surprising that Americans are focused more on their own entertainment when Americans create most of it.

Whether Americans should look more out at the world, I would agree and say that is true for all nations. Historically we have been more geographically isolated than other nations. This has been a blessing and a curse. But the geographical location has led to cultural isolation for various reasons including a sheer lack of nearby cultures with which to interact.

And I agree with you this is changing as the world becomes "flatter" due to increased communication infrastructure. That is a good thing mostly but also can be bad.

Comment

I live in the Tokyo boonies, about an hour out of the city proper. Why do you ask?
                                  I just think it's really cool what you're doing. I have a friend who would like to spend some time studying or travelling in Japan, after 3 years of Japanese in college. I told him he should do what you're doing, so he has an income while he's there and to go do it for a year. If you care to share any more on this, please PM me!

I lived in France for a year of high school and lived with a French family and rode a French school bus, and had all my subjects taught to me in French, except English class where I helped TEACH the other kids since I was more proficient than the professor.

It's not black or white.
                                  I Said If
                                  You're Thinkin' Of
                                  Being My Brother
                                  It Don't Matter If You're
                                  Black Or White

Comment

Well, to be honest, I think that even Americans notice how "fake" TV can be. The fact that the apartments on "Friends" are so ridiculously huge for Manhattan, and the shows you mention "Glee" and "Sex & the City". And most of these "reality" shows. I think people check their brains at the door when watching this stuff, and hopefully the rest of the world does too. Although I'm sure there are people in other countries that do think America is exactly how it's portrayed on film. I do think America is opening up slightly to other cultures. We have a whole lot more foreign films that seem to get a wider release than they used to. Also, the fact that many of those films are subtitled and not dubbed, is another good sign. And, not to be dismissed, are shows for preschoolers like "Dora the Explorer" "Go, Diego, Go!", "Handy Manny" and "Ni Hao Kai Lan", that teach kids other languages like Spanish and Chinese. Those might be token efforts, but when you have little white kids speaking Spanish in the midwest because of these shows, I think it's a step in the right direction.
                                    Oops, I shoulda clarified that I meant students I've had who of course understood that real life in NYC wasn't like S&tC, but still had skewed views of America because of it. And as I said, I agree with you. American teachers and entertainers really do seem to be interested in changing this. Parents, leaders and businesses have to follow through, too. Same with energy reform, but I'll just kick that soapbox over to the corner cos I honestly don't deserve to stand on it with all my rampant consumption and waste.^^

My turn to apologize. Sorry. "Blame" was too strong a word. You seem to attribute that to American apathy towards other cultures (I think that is what you are saying ). I was just saying no one should find it surprising that Americans are focused more on their own entertainment when Americans create most of it.

Whether Americans should look more out at the world, I would agree and say that is true for all nations. Historically we have been more geographically isolated than other nations. This has been a blessing and a curse. But the geographical location has led to cultural isolation for various reasons including a sheer lack of nearby cultures with which to interact.

And I agree with you this is changing as the world becomes "flatter" due to increased communication infrastructure. That is a good thing mostly but also can be bad.
                                    It's not that Americans create most of it; it's that Americans have the money to make sure that their work (even when it's something like the mythology-destroying Michael "Bleh"y TRANSFORMERS series) gets seen. It's not that other countries aren't making stuff. And it's also arguable that in spite of what I said, Americans are FAR more keen to get a wide variety of foreign films in DVD shops, even if Disney totally drops the ball in promoting Ghibli releases in theaters.

Japan is far more isolated in terms of geography, culture, language, and just about everything else than the US. The difference is power. The US is large and in charge, and that's great. I just hope we remember how to stay large as we move closer and closer to the day that no one gets to be "in charge."

As far as interacting with other cultures go, not killing most of them or importing them as slaves, dooming generations to fates they could not realistically change and then scoffing at their inability to climb up and claim the slice of American pie that someone else had already reserved since birth...not doing that mighta helped. But I really do think we're over that curve; there is a critical mass of awareness and honesty, and a proper kind of reverence for American history these days, I think. Not everywhere, and I'm not there, so it's easy to wax romantic, but I believe we have learned and are learning from our missteps.

I just think it's really cool what you're doing. I have a friend who would like to spend some time studying or travelling in Japan, after 3 years of Japanese in college. I told him he should do what you're doing, so he has an income while he's there and to go do it for a year. If you care to share any more on this, please PM me!

I lived in France for a year of high school and lived with a French family and rode a French school bus, and had all my subjects taught to me in French, except English class where I helped TEACH the other kids since I was more proficient than the professor.
                                    I wanna go to France! That sounds fun. My Japanese is such crap; I never studied before I came, and haven't taken a class since I've been here. See what a hypocrite I am!? Like any good teacher, "do as I say, not as I do." I hope to be a great teacher one day, who "walks the walk," but alas, I am mere mortal to the core. I can have limited conversations, get to where I want, and buy what I want. But I can't talk about my soul, the Diet, or even a shooting star with any kind of power. The one thing I don't do, though, is expect people to speak English with me (outside of lessons), though I am very grateful when they can and do.

For your friend, I don't personally recommend teaching and studying. Most people who have studying as a priority see their students merely as a source of income and make me almost physically sick with their ineptitude and callous nonchalance. It is my deepest belief that some vocations - education, law, healing/medicine - should not be motivated by money, and that unless one feels passionately drawn to practice them, time would be better spent in other pursuits. Unfortunately for much of society, the latter two often pay very well. Actually, I suppose it's equally unfortunate that the first usually doesn't.^^

Most people who have teaching as their priority find it hard to be sincerely motivated to do the kanji and grammar work required to make any kind of headway towards significant reading proficiency, necessary for really moving forward with a language. If he's good with Japanese, I'd recommend finding a job in a Japanese environment that requires him to use and build on those skills. I'd almost guarantee he'd be happier in a year than if he chose to teach English, which can be soul- and ambition-sucking, since it tends to attract and perpetuate people who are not really qualified and whose hearts aren't really in it, drifters who are kind of coasting through their lives. I hope I haven't totally become one yet.^^ Just some things I didn't know before I came. I just wanted to run away from Bush and No Child Left Behind, and my professors found me a job here.

Comment

I can see why OLC would be keen to add Captain EO back for a tempory run, but looking at the bigger picture HISTA has seriously come to its end and something more permanent needs to be found. Despite Fukai's lack of love for the current Micro Adventure, I feel he raises a good point about the venue being a prime piece of real estate. Al Lutz has previously commented Disneyland was looking at adding an updated version of WDW's Monsters Inc Laugh Floor, so should TDR go in the same direction and add another Character interaction attraction like Stitch Live or use the venue for something new. Its an interesting debate to discuss I think, and surely with the popularity of Crush at DisneySea it has to sound like a good option.
                                      Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/malin1804

Comment

Maybe my friend should go work at one of the hotels in the Tokyo Disney Resort, helping American tourists navigate in a Japanese speaking environment? He can read kanji and write things in katakana and hiragana. That's why I stopped Japanese after one year, the writing and reading was too much for me. I liked the grammar and speaking and listening, I'd do better if it were written in this alphabet.

Comment

Originally posted by Malin View Post
                                          I can see why OLC would be keen to add Captain EO back for a tempory run, but looking at the bigger picture HISTA has seriously come to its end and something more permanent needs to be found.
                                          I think with technical updates and some interesting effects, plus heavy merchandising, Captain EO could definitely be permanent or at least very long-term at TDL. Michael Jackson has always been popular here, but after This Is It!, there's a whole new generation that loves him.

Maybe my friend should go work at one of the hotels in the Tokyo Disney Resort, helping American tourists navigate in a Japanese speaking environment? He can read kanji and write things in katakana and hiragana.
                                          I'm pretty sure that job requires very high-level kanji proficiency, including writing. All OLC contracts and information are in Japanese. The only people who aren't required to be excellent are face characters. For helping English-speaking tourists, there are plenty of Japanese CMs who speak English very well. My impression is that OLC is kind of a conservative, traditional Japanese institution. Except for face characters, glass blowers (why?...there are Japanese glass blowers), silhouette cutters and the "piano man," I think it's pretty difficult for foreigners to be hired. That said, he should try. It would be fun!^^
                                          Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 12-03-2009, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X