This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Chat] Tokyo Disney Resort End of Year Review

So 2009 has been a very eventful year for the Tokyo Disney Resort, and I have started this thread so we can all discuss the high's and low's for the year. Feel free to add your own !
    Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/malin1804

Re: Tokyo Disney Resort End of Year Review

I almost forgot that the first few months of the year were the remainder of the 25th anniversary! There has been a lot going on this year. TDS's first Halloween, the finale of Candlelight Reflections, the wrapup of the 25th, the Duffy craze gaining momentum starting with "Sweet Duffy", several new attractions debuted, like Monsters Inc. & Turtle Talk. Quite a lot, on reflection...
    Meow

Comment

To give you an idea of what I mean by the above post I'm going to post my top moment for the year below.

While I'm sure for some the first Halloween event at DisneySea, 25th Anniversary Finale or the release of the new Duffy costume could come high, I will remember 2009 for the opening of Tokyo Disneyland's new E Ticket attraction Monsters Inc. I have witness this attraction's construction from the start, and visited in May a few weeks after the official opening. I remember arriving at the park only hours after getting off the plane at Narita Airport, clearly jetlag and very dehydrated, instead of doing the sensible thing and purchasing a water, I headed straight for the 90 minute stand by line. That wait only ended up being 60 minutes and it was well worth it. The flashlight was a bit confusing, but the detailed sets and AA's more than made up for it. In my honest opinion the opening of Monsters Inc was the highlight for the year and it was crazy seeing so many run at rope drop to pick up Fast Passes, and this will continue to be the case for years to come.

A low point of the year I guess has to be the decision to make both Big Band Beat and One Man's Dream II lottery seating only. Forcing many paying Guest to loose out on opportunity's to see both shows while visiting the parks.

Those are my two high and low points of the year, feel free to agree or disagree and add your own.

Comment

Originally posted by gurgi View Post
        I almost forgot that the first few months of the year were the remainder of the 25th anniversary! There has been a lot going on this year. TDS's first Halloween, the finale of Candlelight Reflections, the wrapup of the 25th, the Duffy craze gaining momentum starting with "Sweet Duffy", several new attractions debuted, like Monsters Inc. & Turtle Talk. Quite a lot, on reflection...
        I agree Gurgi a lot has happened in the last 12 months, and its not until you give it some thought that you actually realise it. Its suddenly come to me in the last minute for instance that sadly 2009 also saw the closure of both the Mickey Mouse Revue and the Toon Town Trolley.

Comment

High 25th anniversary celebration conclusion including my first trip to TDR
          High TDS first Halloween
          High Christmastime at TDR
          High Opening of Monsters inc
          High Opening of turtle talk
          High Greenlighting of Mickeys Philharmagic
          High Greenlighting of Toy story mania
          High Greenlighting of cinderallas castle walkthrough
          Low closing of mickey mouse review
          Low closing of toon town trolley
          Low new lottery procedures for big band beat and one mans dream

Comment

Did Cinderella Castle Mystery Tour also close this year, or was that last year?
            Meow

Comment

That was last year. I can't believe I just missed my chance to see the Horned King in the parks. I feel pretty confident that opportunity's never resurfacing.:shy:

I think my high point for the year is simply going to a Disney park for the first time ever, discovering the beauty of DisneySEA, and finally understanding why it seems like everyone in Japan has Disney stuff! And, of course, finding the MiceChat community.^^

As far as the events I've experienced this year, DisneySEA Halloween and Mysterious Masquerade easily take the number one slot. The merchandise, the atmosphere, the shows - everything just exceeded my expectations! I've enjoyed a lot of things at the parks, but nothing comes close to the impression left by Mysterious Masquerade; it was simply phenomenal. I'm glad I caught the finale of the 25th Anniversary and Dreams Within, a show that really touched my heart and helped me understand what "Disney Magic" means to park goers. Watching Duffy blow up has been/is pretty interesting/satisfying, too.

Monsters, Inc Hide & Go Seek is good, I guess, though I've only experienced it once. Club Monsters, Inc would've meant more to me if we actually danced, too. As a former hardcore clubber, watching other people dance with that kind of vibe doesn't interest me as much as dancing with people. I did :love: the Monster Girls, though. And Bonfire Dance, though not new this year, was really memorable for me.

And after hearing three people who came from abroad talk about losing out on the lottery in both parks, I don't know if I'm still keen on the lottery as a solution. That may be a low.

Comment

Gurgi, that attraction closed three-and-a-half years ago on April 5th, 2006.
                JoeInJpn
                Contact me at contact(at)jtcent(dot)com!
                For the latest TDR News, read JTCEnt.com's TDR Nempa Blog!
                Watch TDR Videos and Photos on Joe's Tokyo Disney Resort Photo Site!

Comment

Originally posted by JoeInJpn View Post
                  Thanks, Joe. I just knew it was before I went (but while I was in Japan) and I assumed Gurgi was right, cos he usually is. Next time, I'll look it up before I post.:blush:

Comment

As a low point, I would mention the fact that reservations for seating at the Diamond Horseshoe and Tahitian Terrace can now only be made online in advance, and that the website is only in Japanese, thereby excluding just about everyone else in the world.
                    That sucks!
                    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

Comment

Originally posted by DuffyDad View Post
                      Thanks, Joe. I just knew it was before I went (but while I was in Japan) and I assumed Gurgi was right, cos he usually is. Next time, I'll look it up before I post.:blush:
                      Yes, I agree, Gurgi is right on usually. :-) I just wanted to clarify things since it was posted as a question. I understand time does seem to fly. As you said, the 25th Anniversary ended just over 6 months ago. And just one year before that was the last "Cinderellabration" performance. An event I usually relate to the Parks 20th Anniversary. Hehehe.
                      JoeInJpn

Comment

The highlights for me were Mickey's Dream Company, Club Monsters Inc. and especially Mysterious Masquerade!! :love:

Low point for me was saying goodbye to Mickey Mouse Revue and the Jolley Trolley. :crybye: No Christmas castle show was also pretty bad.

Other good points included th opening of Monsters Inc which became one of our fave attractions and it was nice that Candlelight Reflections had it's finale this year! Almost forgot the great BBB! mini show! It was so nice!!
                        Please follow me @dreamsweetslove on twitter!
                        https://twitter.com/#!/DreamSweetsLove

Comment

Man, time goes by so fast! It doesn't seem like it was that long ago, which is why I thought it happened last year even.
                          Meow

Comment

Without having gone to TDR...I was mightily impressed by how they handled the theming of DisneySea's Turtle Talk.

Originally posted by lighttragic View Post
                            Low new lottery procedures for big band beat and one mans dream
                            Could someone please explain how the lottery system works? How does one get to be in the lottery?
                            Down with the Hat

Comment

Originally posted by tasman View Post
                              Without having gone to TDR...I was mightily impressed by how they handled the theming of DisneySea's Turtle Talk.

Could someone please explain how the lottery system works? How does one get to be in the lottery?
                              Hi Tasman!
                              This is how the lottery works. All you need is your ticket that you used to enter the park. You go to the location with the lottery machines which will have the different show times you can try for on a touch screen in either Japanese or English. You can only try once a day for one show. If you are in a group you can try together as a group. You pick your time then scan your ticket(s) in the machine then press the start button. Then you either win and it will print you a ticket with your assigned time and seating or you lose for that day.

Comment

^^ Thanks Ichigopara. I don't know exactly when I will make it to TDR but definitely hope to do so within the next few years. Unfortunate about the lottery though...I wish it was at least first come / first serve basis so that there would be some certainty. Minor gripe though...
                                Down with the Hat

Comment

Originally posted by tasman View Post
                                  ^^ Thanks Ichigopara. I don't know exactly when I will make it to TDR but definitely hope to do so within the next few years. Unfortunate about the lottery though...I wish it was at least first come / first serve basis so that there would be some certainty. Minor gripe though...
                                  The concept of first come/first serve provides some level of "certainty" is exactly the reason why they went to the lottery system.

If you haven't experienced the Japanese Guests and their sheer ability and determination to out wait, out last, out will other Guests in order to be able to watch a show/parade, ride a popular attraction, get coveted dining reservations, buy popcorn or popular snack, etc., you will not be able to comprehend the reason why OLC needs to put what we in the west would consider "extreme measures" in place to control the Guests. It really is something that you need to witness to believe.

20 minute wait for popcorn, waiting 3-4 hours for a show or parade; waiting over 3 hours in standby for an attraction; waiting in line 40 minutes just to get a Fast Pass; lining up outside the gates 2-3 hours before park opening on ordinary days; these are all typical occurrences at TDR most every day. It is almost as if there exists a "If there is no need to wait for something, it must not be that good" mentality.

If you think having first come/first serve would benefit you because you can get there earlier or out wait most everyone for a sure chance to see something, you are in for a big surprised!:lol:

Now having said that, there are things like BBB that in my observations and opinion, don't require the lottery system. However, due to the desire to get rid of the Disney "manias" (maniacal fans)that camp out for hours just to get the prime seating locations, OLC felt it necessary to implement the lottery system used previously only for the special stage shows.

The stage shows DO require some sort of distribution system because the demand far out numbers the available seats. Right before the lottery system was first put in place, it was a athletic competition to see who could run the fastest from the main entrance at opening, to go get in the first come/first serve line for ticket distribution. That was not only chaotic, but very dangerous.

I would have solved the BBB situation differently. I would have done distribution of seats based on random assignments of location. Once you used your park ticket to get a seat, you could not get another showing that same day. And since the assignment would be random as far as location, that would eliminate the need to line up and wait for hours to get the best seats in the house. This type of approach would eliminate the Disney "mania" from monopolizing the best seats for all the shows and eliminate the lines from forming hours before a performance.

OLC has some unique "challenges" daily in TDR that the US parks rarely have to deal with. I hope many of you who haven't already experienced TDR and its "mania" Guests, get to see it with your own eyes someday. It is truely an eye opening and unique experience.

Comment

It' true! DuffyDad and I were actually talking about lines today and how if we see a line how we will get in line first and then find out what it's for haha.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger55 View Post
                                      It is almost as if there exists a "If there is no need to wait for something, it must not be that good" mentality.
                                      Not saying that it happens at TDR, but the use of shills (さくら - sakura) is very common in Japan. People are planted by the company at store or product openings in order to entice others to "see what's going on."
                                      JoeInJpn

Comment

Not saying that it happens at TDR, but the use of shills (さくら - sakura) is very common in Japan. People are planted by the company at store or product openings in order to entice others to "see what's going on."
                                        Sounds like a fun temp job! Do they get to shop for the product they are advertising since they are already in line?

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X