Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Idea] Glacier bay for Tokyo Disney sea??

blueskydisney.com is reporting that the animated fillm snow queen is now greenlit and will have an open date of 2012 . I started thinking and wondering that perhaps the next Port of call for tokyo disney sea should be some sort of winter concept?? Perhaps the rumored glacier bay for HKDL , They could tie in snow queen somehow... What are your thoughts.. A Ice and Glacier themed port seems like a logical addition to Tokyo disney sea..

Re: Glacier bay for Tokyo Disney sea??

So, what happened to "Glacier Bay"? What would have been its theming and attractions? From what one of my HK correspondent have heard about it, "Glacier Bay theme had something like a scientists base... You would have take a train to go the laboratory, which goes from the outdoor area to an indoor air-controlled area to simulate the north pole. There will even be real snow flake in some scenes when the train pass by. The "U-shape" TSP half-pipe coaster was still there, but with a theming as skiing... The base of the mountain was very huge and it would have been the very first indoor land that Disney has ever built in a Disney theme park. It seems that one of the other reasons why the HK government banned this theme is that Ocean Park - Hong Kong first theme park - will use a similar theme with roller coaster, which was announced a year ago."

From Disneyandmore.blogspot.com

Comment

I would really like to see a Roller Coaster on the scale of Everest or Hong Kong's new Big Thunder built next to Indiana Jones between Lost River Delta and Port Discovery. I'm not sure exactly which adventurous Disneysea-esque locale it could be themed to, but perhaps a polar theme would work, since TDR doesn't have the Matterhorn or Everest and Glacier Bay sounded interesting.
      sigpic
      Long Live the Disney Renaissance

Comment

Originally posted by DarkSideoftheMouse View Post
        I would really like to see a Roller Coaster on the scale of Everest or Hong Kong's new Big Thunder built next to Indiana Jones between Lost River Delta and Port Discovery. I'm not sure exactly which adventurous Disneysea-esque locale it could be themed to, but perhaps a polar theme would work, since TDR doesn't have the Matterhorn or Everest and Glacier Bay sounded interesting.
        I defintely think any addition would fit nicely near port discovery... and I think it would transition well into a ice themed port. if i remember correctly theyre is a trail between port discovery and lost river delta and some decent expansion room ...

Comment

Mark Davis designed a typically outstanding Snow Queen-ish ride for the Magic Kingdom in Orlando in the 1970s, following his disappointment with the abandonment of his Western River Expedition masterpiece. When his snow-themed ride was also passed over, Davis resigned from Imagineering. I would love to see this ride resurrected for DisneySea!

A bit of concept art for this unbuilt project can be seen near the bottom of this linked page: Magic Kingdom
          Down with the Hat

Comment

Glacier Bay definitely sounds really interesting!
            It would be nice to see it built somewhere!!:love:
            Please follow me @dreamsweetslove on twitter!
            https://twitter.com/#!/DreamSweetsLove

Comment

Originally posted by ichigopara View Post
              Glacier Bay definitely sounds really interesting!
              It would be nice to see it built somewhere!!:love:
              Agreed. TDS has actually not had a new land/port built at all since its opening... right next to port discovery seems like a perfect fit 2 me... Perhaps they could tie in the weather experiments of stormrider to the glacier bay... Put glacier bay right behind stormrider... Who knows one can dream.. Since it looks like 2010 will bring mickeys philharmagic 2011 will bring toy story mania and 2012 potentially will bring fantasmic to TDS the earliest this could possibly arrive is 2013 or 14 depending on if something new comes to TDL in 2013 or 2014 instead of TDS

Comment

On the subject of the movie, Alan Menken who originally worked on the Snow Queen Musical for DisneySea before it got dropped, is also going to be composing the soundtrack for the new movie. I'm hoping Alan will some how manage to work some of the score's that he worked on for the Musical into this new movie. But that will of course depend on what Animators are trying to capture and of course on Glen Slater who will be collaborating on the project with Menken.

As for Glacier Bay for DisneySea, I see it highly unlikely at this time. The park is currently filling in exising spots inside the park with Toy Story Mania and Turtle Talk. Anyone with knowledge on the park's history will know Imagineers left quite a few gaps available for further expansion like the Columbia ship and around the American Waterfront. Although Pixar attractions were not what the park had originally had planned. This Jim Hill article from a few years back will share some light on what I'm talking about ! Jim Hill : Why For the Muppets didn't make it into Tokyo DisneySea

Now thats not to say I think the Glacier Bay concept is dead, but I think its much more likely with Hong Kong Disneyland turning the idea down, Imagineers will try and sell the concept to Shanghai Disneyland. The park is scheduled to open about the same time the movie could be release and we are already seeing from the work being down at Paris on Toy Story Playland that John Lasseter is keen for movies and attractions to open up together. Of course if you want to tie the movie and attraction in together you will likely need to scrap the Glacier Bay concept in its existing form.

Since it looks like 2010 will bring mickeys philharmagic 2011 will bring toy story mania and 2012 potentially will bring fantasmic to TDS the earliest this could possibly arrive is 2013 or 14 depending on if something new comes to TDL in 2013 or 2014 instead of TDS
                According to the official Press Release Mickey's Philharmagic will not open until 2011 and Toy Story Mania in 2012. I was actually also under the impression Fantasmic would open at some point during the 10th Anniversary. Tokyo Disneyland should get the next big attraction after Mania.
                Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/malin1804

Comment

'twill most likely be Soarin.
                  Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

Comment

We all know how ideas at WDI morph and evolve. Here are some early illustrations by Hani el Masri for the Transit Steamer Line boats themed to each of DisneySea's ports.

Big City (American) Waterfront

Portofino (Mediterranean) Harbor

Lost (River) Delta

Verne's Vulcania (Mysterious Island)

and, finally, the lost port of Glacier Lake (with its icebreaker).

Glacier Lake, whatever it entailed, may have morphed into HKDL' Glacier Bay. It will be interest to see how/if it ever comes be.

Comment

Originally posted by Malin View Post
                      According to the official Press Release Mickey's Philharmagic will not open until 2011 and Toy Story Mania in 2012. I was actually also under the impression Fantasmic would open at some point during the 10th Anniversary. Tokyo Disneyland should get the next big attraction after Mania.
                      Start Tours redo for for TDL should also be coming to TDL some time likely in the next couple of years, plus whatever that princess thing was for inside the castle that was announced previously.

I do wonder where they will put the next big ride for TDL...they are pretty much out of space without replacing existing attractions, except for an area behind the theater in the New Orleans section where a service building currently stands.
                      Down with the Hat

Comment

Originally posted by tasman View Post
                        Mark Davis designed a typically outstanding Snow Queen-ish ride for the Magic Kingdom in Orlando in the 1970s, following his disappointment with the abandonment of his Western River Expedition masterpiece. When his snow-themed ride was also passed over, Davis resigned from Imagineering. I would love to see this ride resurrected for DisneySea!

A bit of concept art for this unbuilt project can be seen near the bottom of this linked page: Magic Kingdom

i would love to see this finally take over the fantasyland theater location where they originally wanted to build it

Comment

Originally posted by tasman View Post
                          Start Tours redo for for TDL should also be coming to TDL some time likely in the next couple of years, plus whatever that princess thing was for inside the castle that was announced previously.

I do wonder where they will put the next big ride for TDL...they are pretty much out of space without replacing existing attractions, except for an area behind the theater in the New Orleans section where a service building currently stands.

Most of tommorowland can be reconfigured and refurbished to accomadate updated attractions and news ones if neccesary. They can build tommorowland out near space mountain if neccesary. WDI is very good at making use of as little space as possible

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X