This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sweet Duffy 2010

I too wish the US parks would have different flavored popcorn. I think it might be a hit. Especially since popcorn isn't the most expensive treat you can buy and many people in your group can enjoy a bucket together. So it would help the guest on a budget. What I don't get is they have kettle corn in Down Town Disney, why not something in the parks?

I do remember something (but its fuzzy in my memory to the details) when I was a CM at Pizza Port, we weren't allow to take plates back and give re-fills. First they don't offer re-fills, but if a guest grab a plate or bowl then wanted something additional on top, we were told to put in on a separate plate and not to take the plate back from the guest. So Im guessing that the US has some regulations on this. I have seen it other places, not just Disney. Im just not sure of all the details. So that is my guess on why they don't do re-fillables.

I do there are a few places to get items re-filled. Pizza Port offers one re-fill on soda and maybe coffee with your visit. They do say keep your receipt with you in case you are asked. White Water Snacks at the Disney Grand Cal Hotel gives re-fills on sodas, coffee and hot chocolate during your dinning time. If you leave then there are no re-fills. And last time I checked(about a year ago) there was re-fills on coffee(only coffee) if you bought your coffee at in Disneyland on Main Street, next to the Disney Anna Store. I forget the name of the actual store. But its where they sell a lot of home good items. And that one is re-fillable all day with your receipt.

I remember the pumpkin Mickey ceramic mug. jedimaster7313, you are right it didn't look very good. I love the little mugs and plates that TDR offered. It made me want to try more things. Which caused me to go over my budget. lol Had to do it. Never know when I'll get back there.

DLR for the 50th did some nice plate give aways. I think there were 5 and they had the crowns that were on the castle. I never got one while it was being promoted in the parks. But was able to find a full set at the Disney Outlet about a year later. So I ended up with a set. Which is cool. Its about the nicest thing they have put out in a long time.

Does TDR do any buy so much get an item for a cheaper price? DLR and I assume WDW too, during the holidays spend $50 get a throw blanket for $16 or spend $30 and get a mickey watch for $15.

I also don't see The Disney Bears being bought or even played with or children holding them in the parks. Im not sure how well it will work with Build a Bear in Down Town Disney. I think WDW has one too. I just don't see how the Disney Bear will take off with all the cute build a bear animals. I know the quality of build a bear isn't there, but really the quality of the Disney Bears isn't as high as Duffy, so there may never be a demand for the Disney Bear. Plus people don't get the Disney Bear. I never did until I was at TDR and then I learned they are very different things. lol

jedimaster7313, did the new york store close? I sure hope not, its on my vacation to do list.
    Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    :love:Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011:love:

Comment

Yeah, Janell, the 5th Avenue "World of Disney" store finally closed on December 31st. Disney is planning on opening up another flagship Disney Store in the city though, and the location is where the old Virgin Megastore used to be in Times Square. It's a block down from the giant Toys R Us with the Ferris wheel inside.

As for the poor Disney Bear, I think it's just laziness and greed. I think Disney saw how well Duffy was doing and decided to ramp up Disney Bear again with new little clothes, but that's it. They didn't bother to flesh out the story, or re-introduce the character again. I would imagine most guests just see it as one more plush being sold, which to Disney, it is. There is absolutely no care or real thought going into Disney Bear. It's all about money. Disney doesn't seem to get that's why Duffy is successful, he's had his image carefully crafted, and it doesn't appear to be a crass marketing gimmick (even if it is just about money).

Honestly, until Disney decides to get guests to actually care about Disney Bear and who he is, I don't think he'll ever succeed here, no matter how many outfits they put him in. I see they are selling a new Valentines edition. The only people that seem to be buying it are Japanese Duffy fans online (and the ebay sellers, of course).

That's another thing. I think people on Ebay are seeing what a true phenomenon Duffy has become and they are making big bucks selling off their old plush. So, the sellers know there's something going on with this character, at least. I mean who would have thought that those old pastel bears would be going for $800 on Ebay?

Oh, yeah, and the popcorn thing again. Janell, you brought up kettle corn, and that's a good argument for having the flavored ones for sale. It's a really popular flavor in the US now, and it's just slightly sweet. I think the TDR flavors with their subtle tastes would go over well. Not too sugary sweet. Guests would love that, I think. Oh, Disney, GET ON IT!!
      Meow

Comment

Originally posted by Janell View Post
        HMH is Haunted Mansion Holiday. Which is the Nightmare Before Christmas Overlay. The buckets have Jack and Zero on them. They are actually cute. I will see if we have one and post a photo.
        Thanks, Janell.^^

Originally posted by gurgi View Post
        Well, apparently, Disneyland has stopped offering refills on popcorn. They did at one point, as well as the refillable drink mugs. I think you did have to show a receipt. Now, nothing, not even coffee refills. So, you are buying a souvenir bucket that can only be used once... The CM's say they stopped due to health reasons, but I don't buy that.
        Hm...it might be true, actually. There are lots of hand-tying regulations about health issues in America because we are so fond of the corporate lawsuit!:lol: And it also seems generally true to me that a wider swath of the Japanese population can be trusted to keep their buckets clean before bringing them back to the parks. In the US, I can imagine some people just dumping it out, but not really washing it. Perhaps Disney is rightly concerned about this, or perhaps the law really does bind them in some way?

One thing that stinks in Japan is that you almost never get free drink refills anywhere - even at a nice restaurant. Only "family restaurants" have a self-service "drink bar" option, but it's around $5, so it's not exactly like free refills.^^ I don't really like refillable coffee mugs, though. I remember working at McDonald's in high school, we allowed people to fill up their travel mugs. Like my popcorn suspicion, some people never really rinsed their mugs properly - there would be a patina of old coffee or tea inside. Not just like "stained;" unclean. But we couldn't rinse it, cos we can't have that kind of messy water around the service area. We can't take the time to go to the back and can't embarrass the customer... So we just had to fill it up. I wonder if McDonald's still does that? I like the "eco" aspect, but people have to be responsible.

Oh, and thanks for the translation again, DuffyDad. I'm getting the feeling more and more that it is a girl...something. I'm not sure that what we can see in the picture is part of the character, or if it's actually wrapped with a bow. I guess they won't reveal who it is until the last minute. Those pink hearts will be covering it up until then.
        Yeah, it looks like translucent pink wrapping, but it looks to me like the bow is under that...:lol:...I have to just be patient! I kinda hope now that it's a puppy and her name is Fluffy - Duffy & Fluffy!^^

Oh, DuffyDad, what if the character is "baby Duffy", LOL? You know what I'm referring to. At least it doesn't seem like immaculate conception...

The popcorn flavor thing is a mystery to me. That is one thing I think people in the US would love. Unlike getting excited about a particular character like Duffy, I am willing to bet that guests would really enjoy different flavored popcorn in the parks. I don't know if it's just management's decision to keep things simple and cheap, or if they don't think the public would try the flavors. Still, you can find all manner of flavored popcorn outside of the parks at specialty stores. Even if they did basic ones like cheese, caramel, cinnamon, etc. I know they could make money on that. It's one trend from TDR that I think would take off and flourish in the US parks if they decided to do it. I just don't think they care.
        I just realized...we don't have Cheese flavor. There should totally be Cheese in Toontown for the Mice. Somebody needs to get on that!^^ Also, I've said it before, and I'll say it again; the problem with Disney as a corporation is that it's too big, too unfocused (on anything but profit), and decisions are made by too many people who aren't particularly or genuinely excited or invested in what's being produced. I really think it's a matter of scale. OLC is a large, profitable company, too, but their business and energy are focused. There is a very real sense that everyone working there - from CMs up - is heartily invested in either the company and its services or the parks and their fantasy/characters. Usually both. More and more, I think it's not so much that Disney doesn't care, but that a company operating on that scale necessarily employs a lot of people who are not fully invested. I do also think, though, that Disney as a company still defines itself first in terms of profit, and only secondarily as a producer of art/culture. There are, surely, exceptional people within the company, but these days, our culture seems very comfortable with the "e'r'body gotta get paid" attitude of artists who see themselves and their work as primarily commodity. This is not just a Disney thing, but Disney is surely infected.

Originally posted by jedimaster7313 View Post
        Even though they seem to be trying a Disney Bear again here- I don't really see anyone buying them any more. I was a little annoyed that I never got the chance to grab a NY World of Disney bear before it closed- I was there a few days before it closed and managed to grab a Pirate Duffy- err Disney Bear at 75% off- but the store was an absolute zoo with all of the tourists visiting NYC for New Years.
        75% off!? I'd've bought one at that price! Wow! How were they selling? I'm not sure I understand your story...you were in the store, but didn't get the World of Disney Bear? Was it sold out, or were people clamoring to buy it?

I do remember something (but its fuzzy in my memory to the details) when I was a CM at Pizza Port, we weren't allow to take plates back and give re-fills. First they don't offer re-fills, but if a guest grab a plate or bowl then wanted something additional on top, we were told to put in on a separate plate and not to take the plate back from the guest. So Im guessing that the US has some regulations on this. I have seen it other places, not just Disney. Im just not sure of all the details. So that is my guess on why they don't do re-fillables.

I do there are a few places to get items re-filled. Pizza Port offers one re-fill on soda and maybe coffee with your visit. They do say keep your receipt with you in case you are asked... And that one is re-fillable all day with your receipt.

DLR for the 50th did some nice plate give aways. I think there were 5 and they had the crowns that were on the castle. I never got one while it was being promoted in the parks. But was able to find a full set at the Disney Outlet about a year later. So I ended up with a set. Which is cool. Its about the nicest thing they have put out in a long time.
        I dunno...something about "show your receipt" just breaks the magic of feeling like a Guest in the parks to me. I don't wanna be reminded that I paid for the experience. That's the great thing about the Annual Passport; after a while it starts to feel "free," like you were invited.^^

I think there really may be some kind of health codes stopping the refills. If not, Disney should just pressure local government to pass some, so they have an excuse!)

I wanna see photos of those plates, Janell! Nice find!

Does TDR do any buy so much get an item for a cheaper price? DLR and I assume WDW too, during the holidays spend $50 get a throw blanket for $16 or spend $30 and get a mickey watch for $15.
        Not usually like that, I think. They do have shopping campaigns where you spend $30 or something, get one point, collect points, and get free stuff. You remember that nightmare from Halloween!:LOL: In hindsight, this could've been more fun if I hadn't taken it so seriously. But I still prefer the campaign from 2008 (and 2007?) Christmas, when you spent $20 or $30, got an instant peel-away card that may have an extra bonus prize, or maybe just the collectible card. I liked that instant gratification.^^

I also don't see The Disney Bears being bought or even played with or children holding them in the parks. Im not sure how well it will work with Build a Bear in Down Town Disney. I think WDW has one too. I just don't see how the Disney Bear will take off with all the cute build a bear animals. I know the quality of build a bear isn't there, but really the quality of the Disney Bears isn't as high as Duffy, so there may never be a demand for the Disney Bear. Plus people don't get the Disney Bear. I never did until I was at TDR and then I learned they are very different things. lol
        Yeah, I don't know if any marketing of a teddy bear could mainstream him among people over six in the US. So many Americans are so afraid of seeming childish or "too cute." I was thinking yesterday on the train how girls grow up, and because they're girls, are allowed to be cute and sweet and soft. But they're also allowed to be tough and strong and hard. On the other hand, in my experience, especially in "red blooded America," boys are very rarely encouraged or even supported to be gentle. In that sense, women really have a LOT more power than men. What it is to be "a man" is very narrowly defined for the majority of Americans. This, in turn, defines what it is to be adult, arguably for both sexes these days. I think it is our deeply ingrained (though outdated) chauvinism that leads to aversion and fear of the cute. For so many Americans, an adult with too much of an interest in cute things is downright "creepy" (even if they like cute themselves...go figure^^). I don't see America ready to change this anytime very soon. On the contrary, we seem to be continuously growing harder, more committed to an education system that is primarily (or exclusively) about job skills; more concerned with money and having things; and encouraging children to grow up even faster so that they, too, can join the workforce and consume. Hail, corporate empire! Power of mighty capitalism! This perversion of the democratic intention of capitalism I will avoid digressing about, but it makes me very sad, as it leads to a lot of unnecessary suffering.

As for the poor Disney Bear, I think it's just laziness and greed. I think Disney saw how well Duffy was doing and decided to ramp up Disney Bear again with new little clothes, but that's it. They didn't bother to flesh out the story, or re-introduce the character again. I would imagine most guests just see it as one more plush being sold, which to Disney, it is. There is absolutely no care or real thought going into Disney Bear. It's all about money. Disney doesn't seem to get that's why Duffy is successful, he's had his image carefully crafted, and it doesn't appear to be a crass marketing gimmick (even if it is just about money).
        I dunno about laziness... Greed, surely.^^ But I really think in the US, for many other reasons besides the ones I just said, too, it is very difficult to find a team of adults whose sensibility is such that they can actually even understand something like Duffy. If you can't understand it, you can't produce it. I imagine the "Disney Bear revival" that's happening in the States now as something like this:
        • Disney Suit #1: Oh, I just came back from Tokyo, and they sure are crazy for that Duffy. I'm not just talking about kids, either. Lots of 20-something and older girls, and guys, too...freaking pansies.
        • Disney Suit #2: "Duffy?" What's that?
        • DS1: Oh, you know, it's their "Disney Bear."
        • DS2: Really? Why would they like that? That thing is so stupid.
        • DS1: Well, their version is made really differently, but, yeah, I don't get it. Still, they are making a LOT of money.
        • DS2: Well, we should get our Disney Bear out again, too, then.
        • DS1: Yeah, but their process is too expensive. We'll make ours cheaper.
        • DS2: Sure, yeah. Any idiot stupid enough to buy a teddy bear after age four will buy any crap you put in front of him. And four-year-olds like anything.
        • DS1: Yeah, those crazy Japanese...I don't get it. They have a whole shop for him, a photo greeting, seasonal events...
        • DS2: Hey, hey, hey...we're not doing all that. It's expensive and takes too much effort to hire all those creative people, zone the space, launch the events. Just go to China, get some cheap bears, slap a Mickey Mark on 'em, throw 'em in a bin, and put up a sign. Done. That'll be enough for any losers pathetic enough to wanna collect something like that, and their little brat kids who'll buy anything we throw at 'em, God bless 'em. And God bless psychologists in advertising. And God bless parents who raise their kids to be our little brand machines...for generations. God bless you, Walt Disney. Thanks to your genius and hard work, we can be lazy and rest on your laurels, watching the money pour in from your devotees like a tithe.
        • DS1: You're right. Those Japanese are just wasting a lot of resources on this thing. And those stupid Japanese fans will buy anything Disney. They're like little stupid children. Let's go eat steak and count money!

Obviously, this is extremely cynical. But, hey, I'm American, and American cynicism is kinda the point. I just think Americans are wired, from a very early age, to start letting go of childish things and "be tough." I think you'd be, as we occasionally see on MiceChat, hard pressed to find adults who can not only accept or tolerate Duffy, but get excited enough about the concept to get other people excited about it, too. I don't think OLC had to hire psychologists to design Duffy's marketing approach. I suspect that Duffy's marketing team actually like him, and it shows in how he's presented. In fact it is this point - people genuinely enjoying what they do - that just pours all over you and creates the "magic" of TDR. Whether it's real or not, it always feels real. Well, ok, I've had a couple of exceptions.

Honestly, until Disney decides to get guests to actually care about Disney Bear and who he is, I don't think he'll ever succeed here, no matter how many outfits they put him in. I see they are selling a new Valentines edition. The only people that seem to be buying it are Japanese Duffy fans online (and the ebay sellers, of course).

That's another thing. I think people on Ebay are seeing what a true phenomenon Duffy has become and they are making big bucks selling off their old plush. So, the sellers know there's something going on with this character, at least. I mean who would have thought that those old pastel bears would be going for $800 on Ebay?

Oh, yeah, and the popcorn thing again. Janell, you brought up kettle corn, and that's a good argument for having the flavored ones for sale. It's a really popular flavor in the US now, and it's just slightly sweet. I think the TDR flavors with their subtle tastes would go over well. Not too sugary sweet. Guests would love that, I think. Oh, Disney, GET ON IT!!
        That's the problem with being number one for such a long time, becoming a corporation, an empire, and an institution. When you're that entrenched, it takes a lot of energy just to keep all the wheels turning. And there's a lot of inertia to just keep doing the same thing, cos it "works." And some hesitation to change things up because maybe it's risky. And no longer a deep motivation to put something from deep inside your heart out into the cold, hard world...because now, you are such an institution that you are reinforcing "the world." You become the status quo; and if it doesn't kill you, it's usually profitable. Success is very tricky for the artist.

There would have to be a team at Disney that was sincerely and overwhelmingly excited about the Disney Bear. Even this, I imagine, would probably be a team of people who were excited about the Disney Bear for children. And so many people who market for children, because of things I've already mentioned, have no authentic ideas or memories about what it is actually like to be one, and are in deep denial about how not different (and vastly different) it is from being an adult. If you don't get it, you can't sell it. And I just don't see that changing. For most adult Americans, there would have to be a huge ideological/paradigm shift for the "mainstream" to even be open to something like Duffy. And for kids, as Janell says, the design of the American version is simply not competitively cute.

I wouldn't romanticize eBay too much, though, not that I think you were. I don't think most of those people probably "get" Duffy, either. Just like Disney, they're just try'na get paid. I wanna see a photo of that Valentine edition, though. (hint^^)

I think a genuine Duffy phenomenon is likely not replicable in any other markets, which for me, is part of why I love it. Despite feeling frustrated or judged by some people, I do enjoy the feeling of "getting it." It enhances the joy of just liking the character in the first place, and enhances my experience of Japan. Japanese folks, for all their neuroses, seem far less afraid to take refined pleasure in high quality "comfort goods" that just make them happy. And again, far more finicky about the quality of something like a mass-produced teddy bear. The Japanese relationship with things, still (unconsciously?) affected by Shinto notions of "kami" I suspect, is quite different from that in the US, a largely Christian country where man has dominion and the world is objectified. Of course, both approaches lead easily to material addiction as a pretty serious problem, especially for Disney fans. Like yours truly. Whatcha gonna do?^^
        Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 01-13-2010, 08:49 AM. Reason: so many typos lately, cos i'm posting when i get home from work exhausted...sorry^^

Comment

Let's go eat steak and count money!
          :roll:
          Please follow me @dreamsweetslove on twitter!
          https://twitter.com/#!/DreamSweetsLove

Comment

DuffyDad, the one I was talking about was the black version of the Disney Bear that they only sold at the NYC World of Disney- the one with the NYC logo on his shirt. They were 50%off before Christmas, along with the other NYC logo merchandise. I was never too crazy about it, there was something wrong with his face & didn't look that great, but figured I should have gotten one if it was reduced more.

I didn't get there till several days after Christmas & when I got to the store on 12/29- it was a complete zoo & everything was 75% off- a few minutes after I got there, they somehow closed off the entire second floor- where most of the plush and toys were- and weren't letting any more people up there. I heard a few minutes later that they closed it and were just letting guests come down who were up there- but weren't letting anyone else up there since they claimed they were consolidating merchandise up there & would be moving it downstairs the next day.

Unfortunately, I didn't get the chance to get back there to shop again. I did find the Pirate Disney Bear sitting there alone on a shelf, so I grabbed it- but didn't see any signs of the black NYC Disney Bear. I figured as ugly as it was, I should have gotten one- but there were none on that floor- there may have been more upstairs, but like I said- I didn't get back there the next day.

The store did close New Years eve- but being a typical New Yorker- I wanted to get away from the city as soon as I could after work & didn't go anywhere. Quite possibly since I live in NY- I have never, ever, ever, ever wanted to be anywhere near Times Square on New Years eve!! The entire week here before New Years is filled with countless foreign tourists wandering aimlessly around NYC with no purpose, other than the fact they are in NY- they block walkways, street corners, subway entrances- you name it, they do it. Ok- enough of griping for today.

Anyway- I hope I answered your question about the World of Disney Bear DuffyDad. Yes, Janell- the store is closed now & there is a giant sign in Times Square of Mickey next door to the Virgin Megastore. The new store will be a plain old Disney Store & not the World of Disney- so it probably will carry the usual Disney Store crap & not the theme park related merchandise the World of Disney has. I'm sure there will be some NYC related merchandise though.

I've heard the store is going next door to where the Virgin store was in a location that really had nothing going on but was a temporary location for Charmin toilet paper at one time & a dog food place another- But I also heard the forever 21 deal may have fell thru who was going into the Virgin store- but don't have a clear answer to which store it will go in. I think the Virgin store is way too big- but if they do it right & break out from the usual store concept- I'm sure it can be a good thing .

Comment

Yeah, that black NYC Duffy bear just wasn't the best quality. I was there with Jedimaster one day and I picked one up thinking I might buy one. This was when it was full price, and I commented to him that it was made cheaply. The feet & paws were made of some cheap, thin felt, and his fur was kind of thin too. The construction was just not as good as the original bears, and especially Duffy. So, I passed. I might have bought one at a discounted price if I had gone during closing week, but I would have probably sold it on Ebay anyway. That's what I'm doing with my 2007 white one. I'm selling it to pay for more Duffy stuff, LOL!

Also, speaking of adults not getting what it is to be a kid anymore. I just watched the movie "Big" the other night. It dealt with that issue, in that the main character ended up getting a job as a toy tester/designer. He was really 13 years old in a 30 year old body. So, he "got" what kid's wanted, while the other suits around him just couldn't grasp what would appeal to kids. I think you're right about that, Duffydad. Despite Disney being, well, Disney, I think some executives have a hard time thinking like a child would.

That is a strange thing to me about Disney and it's fans. Sure, Walt Disney wanted his entertainment to be for everyone, but it's got a very youthful appeal. Fans love it for whatever reason, and are willing to be kids again, especially in the parks. However, there appears to be some invisible line they won't cross. Something like Duffy escapes them, and is just too much to bear (no pun intended). People just love Mickey Mouse, and collect merchandise and talk about him online...but a teddy bear? No way, that's just creepy!
              Meow

Comment

Oh yeah, here's a picture of the Valentine's Duffy...er Disney Bear. He's small, more like a bean bag plush. I think maybe 8 to 10 inches. Also, his face looks...weird.

His feet & Mickey Mark are pink.

Here is an Ebay auction with all 6 of those Disneyland 50th dinner plates. They are very nice and elegant looking.
                MINT IN BXS SET OF 6 DISNEYLAND 50TH ANNIVERSARY PLATES - eBay (item 370317519926 end time Jan-14-10 21:06:41 PST)
                Meow

Comment

...Anyway- I hope I answered your question about the World of Disney Bear DuffyDad...
                  Yes. Thank you! And try not to be too stressed this week!^^

...That's what I'm doing with my 2007 white one. I'm selling it to pay for more Duffy stuff, LOL!
                  I hope you put a high reserve; Japanese eBayers would pay a lot, I think!

Also, speaking of adults not getting what it is to be a kid anymore. I just watched the movie "Big" the other night...
                  I :love: that movie!^^

That is a strange thing to me about Disney and it's fans. Sure, Walt Disney wanted his entertainment to be for everyone, but it's got a very youthful appeal...but a teddy bear? No way, that's just creepy!
                  Yeah, I actually have the opposite reaction. I think cute is timeless and positive. People who are too quick to dismiss the cute, I find a little scary.^^

Oh yeah, here's a picture of the Valentine's Duffy...er Disney Bear. He's small, more like a bean bag plush. I think maybe 8 to 10 inches. Also, his face looks...weird.
                  Yeah~ That...thing...is NOT Duffy!:lol: The pink Mickey Marks are a nice touch, though.

Thanks for the plate link, too. Those are pertty! And expensive - holy cow! Nice outlet score, Janell!^^

Comment

Originally posted by DuffyDad View Post
                    Yeah~ That...thing...is NOT Duffy!:lol: The pink Mickey Marks are a nice touch, though.
                    OMG you are so funny. I have seen these bears on ebay and I was wondering what was up with them. I wonder why they are doing them? Maybe its their way of introducing them to the guest, not really sure. They are cute, but far from Duffy. I wonder if they are even soft like Duffy. I just love how soft Duffy is and how cuddly he is. Which I think along with the story line and the quality of Duffy items is why he is so popular.

Gotta run, write more later. :-)

Comment

This looks like the decline of the Disney Bear in WDW/DL once again. The only nice looking Disney Bears, were the original ones that came out years ago- Ever since they are now trying to re-invent the Disney Bear Concept- he keeps looking worse each time. This is one of the reasons I never picked up the NYC bears at the World of Disney.

But now I sort of regret it since they are no longer making them any more- but I have to check at home since I may have picked up a Christmas one for myself either last year, or the year before.

Comment

This looks like the decline of the Disney Bear in WDW/DL once again. The only nice looking Disney Bears, were the original ones that came out years ago- Ever since they are now trying to re-invent the Disney Bear Concept- he keeps looking worse each time. This is one of the reasons I never picked up the NYC bears at the World of Disney.

But now I sort of regret it since they are no longer making them any more- but I have to check at home since I may have picked up a Christmas one for myself either last year, or the year before.
                        Yeah, I agree with you. It seems each incarnation of the Disney Bear looks worse than the last. The cheapness is evident just by looking at it. I hate to say it, but it's become a throwaway design, like any plush bear you might find at the dollar store. Sure, it's got Mickey shapes on it, but other than that, it's not really special in any way.
                        Meow

Comment

You know, I was reading on Deep Disney, and the fans are speculating that the new friend might be a girl sea lion. I think that's a cute idea, and certainly ties into the nautical theme. I wonder if they're right?
                          Meow

Comment

Thanks jedimaster7313, for the info. Im sorry to see Disney is being Disney and taking away what sounds like a really cool store and putting the normal, boring Disney Store in. Sad really, why doesn't Disney create reason for fans to travel? If you put the same stuff everywhere, then there is no need to travel. Which means less money in Disney pocket. I never have gotten that. But like we have all chatted about, Disney doesn't really know what fans want. Oh well, I can cross that off my NY todo list. Sad!

Thanks DuffyDad. I thought the dishes were a good deal. Many times I go into the outlet and they don't have much, but that day I got lucky. Now when I have a child to shop for, then then the outlet will be very handy.

The more and more I look at the Valentine Duffy impostor. lol The more I ask myself why? Guest aren't going to understand what he is or what he is trying to be. They are just going to think its another plush. And I really don't like that. Oh well, not much we can do, it will flop and Disney will wonder why? Silly really.

A girl sea lion, is a cute idea. I can see that working into the story nicely. Disney doesn't have a sea lion(I don't think), so it would be original to Duffy and TDS. Do you think they will bring this character to life, like having a full costumed character in the park? Or will it just be a Duffy accessory that you can buy?

If they do bring the character to life, I wonder how they will play it. Will she walk like pluto on two legs or will they have her "roll" in so how? I can see a scene on the water in America Water Front where she the sea lion swims up on to some rocks to take photos with guest.

If they make her like Duffy, then she will need her own store, because Duffy doesn't have enough room as it is for his stuff. Wow, this could really take off.

I do love the idea of having her as not a teddy bear. So that way Duffy stays as the only bear. But cool that Duffy is bring his friends into American Water Front to share with Mickey and Minnie and everyone else. Cute idea.

I wonder if or how they will do the costumes for her? What do sea lions ware? lol I can see Duffy getting a scuba outfit so he can join her in her world. How cute would Duffy be with an air tank? lol The only bad thing with this is kids are going to want to take Duffy scuba diving. Just like I think we talked about kids wanting to take Duffy swimming in his swimming suite.

Comment

Yeah, I agree with you. It seems each incarnation of the Disney Bear looks worse than the last. The cheapness is evident just by looking at it. I hate to say it, but it's become a throwaway design, like any plush bear you might find at the dollar store. Sure, it's got Mickey shapes on it, but other than that, it's not really special in any way.
                              That's the worst part! Someone had such a great concept, and the way it became fully and naturally realized in Tokyo has been wonderful. This "cheap date" Valentine version shows no respect to the designer who originally conceived the Disney Bear, nor to how much that seed has blossomed in Japan. Honestly it looks too cheap to even bear the Disney logo. It doesn't seem like Disney has a lot of genuine self-respect these days, and it makes me sad.

You know, I was reading on Deep Disney, and the fans are speculating that the new friend might be a girl sea lion. I think that's a cute idea, and certainly ties into the nautical theme. I wonder if they're right?
                              Honestly, I think those are probably people like me living in denial. It's a character debuting for "Season of the Heart." Most likely it will be a female version of Duffy. Ichigopara pointed out to me today that OLC probably noticed how much money they were losing by not producing official female bear outfits, and they want to rectify that situation. Honestly, in light of this, I think it's a smart move and I bet it's something a lot of fans are actually gonna be very happy about.

If it is a "girl Duffy," I only hope she'll be charming in some unique way, and that perhaps she'll be more of a sister/pal and less of a romantic partner. At the very least, maybe they'll keep it vague. I'm optimistic, but equally anxious. Still, if she is more like a sister, I may just end up getting a TDS Annual Passport in April after all. I'm gonna go ahead and predict that Duffy (and new girl?) will be on it this year.^^

Comment

Disney doesn't really have any dedicated sea lion or seal characters. There were the ones in the Mickey Mouse cartoons that went home with him and drove Pluto crazy, but thats' it as far as I can think of. There was that walrus sidekick in the Little Mermaid sequel, but that doesn't count, LOL!

I would be ok with a girl sea lion, because it's not another bear. Also, I hope that she will just be Duffy's friend...no romantic link. If they do it in a truly classy way, where Duffy and her are platonic playmates, that could be a very cute thing, and a message to little kids. "It's ok for boys to play with girls". Not that they think that's bad already, but I mean by not putting them together romantically, it would basically say that just because Duffy's a boy and the sea lion is a girl, they can still play together as friends without having to be boyfriend & girlfriend. I sincerely hope that's the direction they go if it turns out to be a girl. Basically, it would be a "let's not grow up too fast" approach to the characters, which I would really appreciate.
                                Meow

Comment

LOL, it looks like you and I were saying basically the same thing, Duffydad! Bear or not, as long as the relationship stays platonic, I'll be ok with it. Being hit over the head with another straight Disney couple as if it's the only way to be truly happy, will be depressing for poor little Duffy.
                                  Meow

Comment

Disney doesn't really have any dedicated sea lion or seal characters. There were the ones in the Mickey Mouse cartoons that went home with him and drove Pluto crazy, but thats' it as far as I can think of. There was that walrus sidekick in the Little Mermaid sequel, but that doesn't count, LOL!

I would be ok with a girl sea lion, because it's not another bear. Also, I hope that she will just be Duffy's friend...no romantic link. If they do it in a truly classy way, where Duffy and her are platonic playmates, that could be a very cute thing, and a message to little kids. "It's ok for boys to play with girls". Not that they think that's bad already, but I mean by not putting them together romantically, it would basically say that just because Duffy's a boy and the sea lion is a girl, they can still play together as friends without having to be boyfriend & girlfriend. I sincerely hope that's the direction they go if it turns out to be a girl. Basically, it would be a "let's not grow up too fast" approach to the characters, which I would really appreciate.
                                    I like the idea of showing boys and girls that its okay to be friends. And I also like the idea of not everyone has to be in a relationship. children are growing up so quickly these days, having boyfriends and girlfriends at such a young age. It would be nice to show you can just be friends and not be in a relationship. Theres pleanty of time for relationships when you get older and enjoy your childhood.

Comment

Also, even thought this new character is being released during "Seasons of the Heart" with it's romantic overtones between Valentines and White day, I think there's room for friends too. They can focus the romantic stuff on Mickey & Minne, and Donald & Daisy. There are plenty of Disney couples they can use even within TDS. I think they can keep Duffy away from that, kind of like when kids give valentines cards to their friends and classmates. It's not about the romance, necessarily, but showing people you care about them. I really hope they keep that angle with Duffy. I noticed the slogan on the little dessert plate that's coming out, and it kind of gives me hope. It says "Sweets for two, and two for fun". Nothing about love or romance in there. I really hope it's about the "fun".
                                      Meow

Comment

...Im sorry to see Disney is being Disney and taking away what sounds like a really cool store and putting the normal, boring Disney Store in. Sad really, why doesn't Disney create reason for fans to travel? If you put the same stuff everywhere, then there is no need to travel. Which means less money in Disney pocket. I never have gotten that. But like we have all chatted about, Disney doesn't really know what fans want...Sad!
                                        Evidently it's contagious and has infected OLC, too. They have taken a really cool unique character/product that highlighted Japan's quirkiness and penchant for plush...and made it into a generic, boring Disney marketing franchise. If the new character is just "add eyelashes and a bow," the original design itself becomes less special. In my mind, this new character is Duffy in drag. If they had gone with the "every Duffy is Duffy," even when Duffy's a girl, that would have been interesting. This, though, could not be less original.

A girl sea lion, is a cute idea. I can see that working into the story nicely. Disney doesn't have a sea lion(I don't think), so it would be original to Duffy and TDS. Do you think they will bring this character to life, like having a full costumed character in the park? Or will it just be a Duffy accessory that you can buy?

If they do bring the character to life, I wonder how they will play it. Will she walk like pluto on two legs or will they have her "roll" in so how? I can see a scene on the water in America Water Front where she the sea lion swims up on to some rocks to take photos with guest.

If they make her like Duffy, then she will need her own store, because Duffy doesn't have enough room as it is for his stuff. Wow, this could really take off.

I do love the idea of having her as not a teddy bear. So that way Duffy stays as the only bear. But cool that Duffy is bring his friends into American Water Front to share with Mickey and Minnie and everyone else. Cute idea.

I wonder if or how they will do the costumes for her? What do sea lions ware? lol I can see Duffy getting a scuba outfit so he can join her in her world. How cute would Duffy be with an air tank? lol The only bad thing with this is kids are going to want to take Duffy scuba diving. Just like I think we talked about kids wanting to take Duffy swimming in his swimming suite.

After reading your posts, I was so hopeful. But, alas, it's not to be. Without further ado, allow me to painfully introduce..."Shellie May." ( In a million years I would never have imagined such a - no offence intended - small Southern town trailer park name...ugh!...I know I'll probably regret saying that later, but I am too upset right now to be "PC")

...Being hit over the head with another straight Disney couple as if it's the only way to be truly happy, will be depressing for poor little Duffy.
                                        It sure is, especially since he's lost his spotlight immediately. There are two versions of the plate/cup set. I'm happy that Duffy at least gets his own (perhaps for the last time?), but why does she?

I've been thinking about buying a little fondue pot for a while, and now I can buy one featuring Duffy...at least, I assume it features Duffy on the other side, because the only side shown in the photos features Shellie May...

Here are the rest of the goods; she's all over them. Just like I predicted, there is no "Duffy" anymore, but now it's all "Duffy & Shellie May."

Even the Photo Greeting, that she doesn't seem to be part of yet (but who knows?) features her prominently in the stickers...

I like the idea of showing boys and girls that its okay to be friends. And I also like the idea of not everyone has to be in a relationship. children are growing up so quickly these days, having boyfriends and girlfriends at such a young age. It would be nice to show you can just be friends and not be in a relationship. Theres pleanty of time for relationships when you get older and enjoy your childhood.
                                        Also, even thought this new character is being released during "Seasons of the Heart" with it's romantic overtones between Valentines and White day, I think there's room for friends too. They can focus the romantic stuff on Mickey & Minne, and Donald & Daisy. There are plenty of Disney couples they can use even within TDS. I think they can keep Duffy away from that, kind of like when kids give valentines cards to their friends and classmates. It's not about the romance, necessarily, but showing people you care about them. I really hope they keep that angle with Duffy. I noticed the slogan on the little dessert plate that's coming out, and it kind of gives me hope. It says "Sweets for two, and two for fun". Nothing about love or romance in there. I really hope it's about the "fun".
                                        It would be nice if they felt like just friends, and I guess it can still be seen that way... But with such a boring design, she makes Duffy seem crass and tarnished. She's nothing special, just pink Duffy with a bow, blue eyes, and eyelashes. She's not even a real character. Maybe there's a longer version of the story, but as is, she just makes me uncomfortable. And all the marketing looks to me like childhood sweethearts; not childhood friends. Even if it's not romantic, though, the lazy design, the terrible name, and the fact that she steals so much of Duffy's spotlight/uniqueness...I don't like her. I really wish I did.

And here's the popcorn bucket. I'm happy that it, at least, does not feature "Backseat Betty Lou."

I don't have time to translate. Gotta get to work. Maybe later. From what I can gather, it's called a "Lightship Basket" and there are perhaps more details. I'm not in the mood now. Anyway, check out the official site for more details. Click the new "Menu" button at the bottom of the page. It doesn't say so, but the new flavor is Milk Tea, by the way.^^
                                        Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 01-16-2010, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Thanks DuffyDad for all the info. Im shocked at her name too. It doesn't seem to go with the name Duffy. Where Mickey and Minnie go well. Now in Japanese do the names go better together? Im not sure if the names even translate?

I think the merchandise will have a mix of them both together and then apart. Like Mickey and Minnie. This giving the guest the chance to pick which one they like.

I hate to admit it, but she is cute. Looks like she could be a lighter color then Duffy, which would be nice. And I can only imagine how cute her costumes will be. Many times I have seen girl Build a Bear clothes that are so cute. Then add in the detail that the costumes from TDS and its a winning combo.

I would have loved the sea lion and wish they would have gone that way. I know they still may. Duffy needs more friends for his show. So there is still hope.

Will anyone buy Shellie May?

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X