This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sweet Duffy 2010

ShellieMay....Ok I understand they were going for a seashell thing but...really? The actual character is pretty cute (sorry DuffyDad!) and I want to see what the plush looks like in person.(Those blue eyes have the potential to look creepy...) The popcorn bucket is so expensive though!!! I really thought they would be giving you some mini plush attached to it or something! If pink Duffy is the same price as Duffy then I think I will go for that instead of the bucket since it would only be like a thosand yen more... The flavor sounds very nice though!!! I'm sorry but I'm really happy that pink Duffy wasn't a sealion because they really needed a pink Duffy with the Disney Bear version selling online for like $2,000. I want to see the blanket too!

Edit: The husbands reaction now was that her name sounds a little trailer parkish. He was quite pleased though when I mentioned that he doesn't have to buy a $2,000 Disney Bear now though.
    Last edited by DreamSweetsLove; 01-15-2010, 02:38 AM.
    Please follow me @dreamsweetslove on twitter!
    https://twitter.com/#!/DreamSweetsLove

Comment

Ugh!! All this speculation, and they did the most common thing imaginable...ugh again!

Ok, on first look, I actually like her color scheme. She appears to be a rose pink, with a cream face. The blue eyes might look creepy on the plush, but at least she's not shocking pink.

Now, as for her as a character...why?? And I agree with the name. Shellie May, really? The absolute first thing I thought of was Beverly Hillbillies with Ellie Mae Clampett. It's a stupid name for Cape Cod, honestly. It also doesn't flow with Duffy at all. Also, what's her reason for being? They need to have a more fleshed out story for her, other than Minnie just making her for Duffy. Oh, and how, exactly, is Minnie able to give life to inanimate objects so quickly? When did she become a sorceress, LOL? Duffy was a one-off, at first. He wasn't created with life, he magically came to life. This chick is just alive from the start...

This really does come across as marketing to get a girl Duffy. It's also annoying that she's on all the merchandise. At least I can still get the Duffy costume and the Duffy plate. I don't need her on everything. There goes Duffy's innocence and adventure...he's now tied to Shellie May. Poor guy, he didn't get much time to have his own fun.

Oh, and the popcorn bucket doesn't seem worth it. That strap is not worth the extra money. I do wonder what "milk tea" flavor tastes like though...
      Meow

Comment

Originally posted by Janell View Post
        Thanks DuffyDad for all the info. Im shocked at her name too. It doesn't seem to go with the name Duffy. Where Mickey and Minnie go well. Now in Japanese do the names go better together? Im not sure if the names even translate?

I think the merchandise will have a mix of them both together and then apart. Like Mickey and Minnie. This giving the guest the chance to pick which one they like.

I hate to admit it, but she is cute. Looks like she could be a lighter color then Duffy, which would be nice. And I can only imagine how cute her costumes will be. Many times I have seen girl Build a Bear clothes that are so cute. Then add in the detail that the costumes from TDS and its a winning combo.

I would have loved the sea lion and wish they would have gone that way. I know they still may. Duffy needs more friends for his show. So there is still hope.

Will anyone buy Shellie May?
        Will people buy her? Yes, for sure. Although I kinda wonder if she's gonna be available year-round, or just for Sweet Duffy as an annual, like the Christmas version. Having her all the time steals Duffy's thunder; having her as an annual limited edition makes her feel too special. Either way, she makes Duffy less of a star. While I think they will offer stuff with or without her, the HUGE marketing push makes it impossible to just ignore her or pretend she doesn't exist.

Unfortunately everything that was interesting about that unique animated bear and its unexplainable popularity flies out the window with her arrival. The moment I saw her, my Duffy plush seemed like a plush representation of Duffy, rather than the stories and marketing seeming like a representation of my plush. For people new to Duffy from now on, I think that will be true. And I think that's less interesting, and I think the energy will dissipate.

Duffy was just reaching his moment to really shine. It would've been nice if he'd been given the spotlight for at least a year, but now... Now the whole "Duffy" concept seems MUCH more heavily geared toward females, and decidedly more cutesy, childish, and typical. The quirk factor that was the X-factor for me feels gone.

You guys may think she's "cute," but she's not cuter than Duffy or as cute as Duffy. She offers nothing new. She's barely different from Duffy. Without something to really make her stand out, I just can't justify a reason for her being, especially since she takes so much away. Like the Disney Bear, she elicits more the response, "That's NOT Duffy!" than "That's Shellie May!" She makes Duffy himself feel more generic like the Disney Bear - just a stupid thing for people to waste money on. She slaps you in the face that you're just a consumer, she's just a commodity, and she (and her pimps) just want your cash. She undoes exactly what Duffy had already undone with Disney Bear and brings us full circle. And that makes me feel like a chump for supporting even Classic Duffy...and that both makes me very sad and kinda pisses me off. It's a violation of the consumer-creator respect pact that had always set Duffy apart to me.

Originally posted by ichigopara View Post
        ShellieMay....Ok I understand they were going for a seashell thing but...really? The actual character is pretty cute (sorry DuffyDad!) and I want to see what the plush looks like in person.(Those blue eyes have the potential to look creepy...) The popcorn bucket is so expensive though!!! I really thought they would be giving you some mini plush attached to it or something! If pink Duffy is the same price as Duffy then I think I will go for that instead of the bucket since it would only be like a thosand yen more... The flavor sounds very nice though!!! I'm sorry but I'm really happy that pink Duffy wasn't a sealion because they really needed a pink Duffy with the Disney Bear version selling online for like $2,000. I want to see the blanket too!

Edit: The husbands reaction now was that her name sounds a little trailer parkish. He was quite pleased though when I mentioned that he doesn't have to buy a $2,000 Disney Bear now though.
        )...You can't even say her name!^^ Why not just "Shelly?" Oh, right. They don't want it to be just like Duffy (ahem^^). So why not "Shellie?" Oh, wait, but they want the "Y" ending. So why not just "Shelley?!" The name is such a turn-off to most Western ears, I think. But I dunno if it'll have any connotations at all for Japanese guests. Honestly, I hope it just sounds bad to them, but I don't think the girls who want to love a female Duffy will be anymore deterred than I am about resenting her.^^ I don't think, unfortunately, that the name will be enough to kill her sales.

I won't name names, but someone I know said her name makes her "sound like some bimbo gold digger trying to scam Duffy." Couldn't've said that better myself. Someone else said, "What'd they do? Go to (won't name the state) and find a list of Single Moms under twelve?" That same person said her name sounds like "Sh..tie May" (hint...stinky diapers^^), and I think "Sluttie May." Someone else said, "I think OLC just jumped the shark in regards to Duffy." And I almost hope that's true. I'd rather see the whole thing wind down than see it blow up like this - charmless. She just looks like such a wannabe, like a groupie. Like a coattail-riding hanger-on. And that's about right. What was so great about Duffy is that he took the obvious marketing agenda of the Disney Bear and turned it on its head. This little tramp totally reverses that. It's so sad. Pathetically, I'm still hopeful there's a full-fledged storybook that changes my mind, but I doubt it.

If they wanted to highlight her pendant (like they're finally doing with Duffy in the marketing!), I wish they'd highlighted the "heart" part. They could've called her Cora (like "corazon" = "heart" in Spanish). That would also have nuances of "coral" and the sea, and it sounds so much classier. I also like that it reminds me of a Spanish-speaking friend I've made the past year whom I just :love: to pieces!^^ And instead of Minnie making her, maybe Duffy by chance saw a little pink bear in an abandoned toy factory in Quito on one of his adventures...giving a chance for a proper new Duffy story at the same time!

He thought she was cute and kinda looked like him. He started thinking how he'd like to have a sister/friend to travel with sometimes. He saw that there were many of them, and they would never be sold. He was sad that no one loved them. So, every time he passed through Ecuador (on his way to the Galapogos), he checked in and they were all still there... Then one day he noticed that the factory was being demolished and all the bears were just thrown out. So he wished and wished and they all came to life and he brought them back to Tokyo to help them find homes. It's about Duffy's huge compassion and love. She's like a little sister, or a best friend he helped. Then Duffy's still powerful, and Duffy's magic is still his own. Duffy didn't come to life because of Minnie...EVER!!! It was always all about Duffy's unexplainable magic, which paralleled the Duffy sales hit in the real world - genius!

I was gonna buy "Sleazie May" just to take photos of her horrible death, but now I'm thinking of making a blog for her, renaming her Cora and making her personality a Spanish-speaking party girl who loves karaoke in Tokyo and clubbing in Ibiza!^^ (see how I still want to love her!) And although Duffy "gave her life," she's really independent, likes to travel by herself wherever the party is, and is kinda "wilder" while Duffy is more "classic." Even her tagline, "Shellie May Brings Joy" (ugh...I made a "Duffy Brings Joy" thing for Christmas...) could be "Cora Trae Alegria." Look, there's a Cirque reference, too!:lol:

Then I might actually like her, and she would actually have some kind of character trait that sets her apart from Duffy. She would offer something fresh and add flavor, not just take away from the Duffy phenom. She could actually be special. Uh oh...I'm already starting to like "Cora" against my will.^^ Let's tell more possible alternative names and stories! Still, all the goods are gonna say "Slapper May" on them. I wish they'd used this as a promotional opportunity and had fans submit or vote on names - that would have generated a lot more energy to justify her existence, and made the name more acceptable, whatever it turned out to be.:shy:

Originally posted by gurgi View Post
        Ugh!! All this speculation, and they did the most common thing imaginable...ugh again!

Ok, on first look, I actually like her color scheme. She appears to be a rose pink, with a cream face. The blue eyes might look creepy on the plush, but at least she's not shocking pink.

Now, as for her as a character...why?? And I agree with the name. Shellie May, really? The absolute first thing I thought of was Beverly Hillbillies with Ellie Mae Clampett. It's a stupid name for Cape Cod, honestly. It also doesn't flow with Duffy at all. Also, what's her reason for being? They need to have a more fleshed out story for her, other than Minnie just making her for Duffy. Oh, and how, exactly, is Minnie able to give life to inanimate objects so quickly? When did she become a sorceress, LOL? Duffy was a one-off, at first. He wasn't created with life, he magically came to life. This chick is just alive from the start...

This really does come across as marketing to get a girl Duffy. It's also annoying that she's on all the merchandise. At least I can still get the Duffy costume and the Duffy plate. I don't need her on everything. There goes Duffy's innocence and adventure...he's now tied to Shellie May. Poor guy, he didn't get much time to have his own fun.

Oh, and the popcorn bucket doesn't seem worth it. That strap is not worth the extra money. I do wonder what "milk tea" flavor tastes like though...
        Having a Duffy recolor at a reasonable price is not a bad idea, but why couldn't it just be another version of Duffy (and why not LOTS of colors)??? The whole "Minnie's factory" concept, too, that made every Duffy the true Duffy seems to fall apart if there's only one "Skankie May." I guess we just have to assume that they, too, will be mass-produced in Minnie's factory.

I will admit that over the course of the day, the design has grown acceptable to me. I don't think it's as impressive as the creativity I have come to expect from the Duffy team, but I do think "Stupid May" is probably exactly what the people who really wanted a female Duffy wanted her to be. And I can't slam them for that. In fact, I guess they probably deserve some props.:clap: I even realized as I was writing about "Cora" that if she had a MUCH better name and even a slightly better backstory, she might've had a shot at seeming endearing (I do like that heart pendant - especially if it opens, which it should if it's to parallel Duffy's bottle)...if she wasn't so clearly throwing herself at an uninterested-but-too-sweet-to-be-snotty Duffy on all the merchandising! As is, the name totally matches her raunchy "look at me" desperate presentation. I am Jack's little boy heart ripped out of his chest and stomped on the floor by a usurper who killed his favorite character. This is the second time in my life a company has ruined a character that I love. The first was Lara Croft...for a looong time, but happily she's back in better hands now. I only hope that something happens to redeem this shameful atrocity.

For a good time, call 555-BEAR.
        Shellie May Brings Joy
        ...to anybody who gives her a ribbon and some mascara.

PS: I :love: the popcorn basket even more now, though. It just seems so pure Classic Duffy. I didn't know about Nantucket's lightship baskets before, either, so it's actually increased my knowledge of handicraft trivia. I mean, of course, I'd seen them; but I didn't know they were only/primarily/originally from there or the history or anything. The fact that this tradition originated from a bunch of seasoned seamen weaving delicately crafted baskets to pass the time out at sea just cinches the whole thing for me! Classic Duffy will always be for me, a great character for everyone, but especially for cute-at-heart guys.^^
        Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 01-15-2010, 09:41 AM. Reason: I :love: the Lightship!^^

Comment

Wow, what a total contradiction there, Duffydad! I'm referring to the popcorn bucket and the new skank. On one hand you have them actually doing research and creating a popcorn bucket based on something traditional, and completely thematic to Cape Cod. Then...you have that new bear. I just don't get why so much thought was put into the bucket, and not her?

I love how you changed her name every time you said it too, I was laughing at each new one. Your story for her was a lot better than what little we can glean from the official site too. Coral is a better name too. Shellie, is just so boring. I've also seen Japanese fans posting, and they can't really say her name without calling her "Sherry". It's just not an easy name for Japanese to say.

As for her cuteness, it's not even hers, it's Duffy's. She is basically him, with a recolor, a bow, and blue eyes. I do like the color, I will admit, but she's certainly not any cuter than Duffy. I guess this was to be expected since so many fans obviously wanted a female Duffy. The cottage industry of girl costumes must have proven that to OLC. So, on one hand, I'm upset that OLC went so cheap with it, but on the other hand, I kind of have to blame the fans for it too. They want Duffy to be a girl? Fine, here you go, here comes Shellie May!

I hate how she's already snuggled up to poor Duffy, batting her eyelashes and stealing his spotlight. I can still look at my Duffy bears and see the original intent, I still love them. However, this interloper won't get that same kind of feeling from me. Unless the plush is adorable, I have no interest at this point. I do like your story for her DuffyDad, and that would be how I would view her. I see that there is an official storybook for her, at least on the website. It's the short version though, just like Duffy's. I do wonder if they will create a longer, better storybook for her to sell though. They really need to explain her better...why did Minnie create her? They didn't even bother to tell us the significance of that shell pendant...other than to beat us over the head with her name. Also, if they were going to go for the whole "shell" theme, they should have gone further. Make her bow shell shaped, or at least have the clamshell design on it. And, maybe make her Mickey marks shell shaped too. Whatever, she's here now, it's too late.

I do wonder what the fan's reactions will be to her. I wonder if there will be the same fervor over her as Duffy got. Oh, and you know darn well there will be a walkaround version of her too, sigh...
          Meow

Comment

You know what else I want to say? Her name looks awkward in print. Duffy fits lots of things nicely, and is fairly balanced in design. "Shellie May" is just too cumbersome on things. You can see that on that little pink heart they have. Duffy has a blue one, and his name fits nicely. She has the pink one, and her name is all crammed in there. It's just not cute looking. It's not a friendly logo like Duffy's name has become. The Duffy name was becoming an iconic graphic like Disney. Shellie May just looks stupid at this point.
            Meow

Comment

Alright, Duffydad, I've been thinking about my own story for Ellie May. I think it's a good idea, at least to get our minds off the crap story she was introduced with.

Anyway, my version of the bear would retain the awful name "Shellie May", only because it can't be escaped on the merchandise and officially now. So, in keeping with that, she's a bear from the American south. The Ozark mountains in Arkansas, to be precise. Minnie Mouse did sew her together, but her materials originated in the Ozarks. Since the storybook online basically gives her life immediately, I like to think there's a long gap in there, like Duffy, where she came to life on her own.

She is not really a tramp, but a fun loving girl who may look prissy, but can climb trees and skip stones with the best of them. She's a lot more feisty than Duffy, and treats him as she would a brother. They bonded instantly because of their love of adventure. However, she doesn't like to stay in Cape Cod that much. She would rather go to warmer places, and she's also found a group of friends that she really feels at home with...the Country Bears. She's a fixture with the group, and they've kind of adopted her as a member of the act. She especially looks up to Teddi Bara, and emulates her a little bit. She also made fast friends with Bunny, Bubbles, & Beulah, because they are closer in age.

So, she will come visit Duffy on occasion to hang out and go on the occasional adventure with him. On one of these visits, Minnie Mouse presented her with a heart-shaped shell locket, with a good luck message inside. Minnie was surprised at first when she found that Shellie was just as alive as Duffy was, but then she didn't question that kind of magic. She only wanted Shellie to be a happy bear with the best of luck. So, now you might occasionally spot Duffy and Shellie May hanging out together sharing some sweets in Cape Cod, but more often than not, you can find her over at Tokyo Disneyland hanging out with her newfound family, the Country Bears.

Alright, maybe it's corny, but it's what came to mind after thinking about her name, and wanting a more fleshed out story for her...and possibly link her to TDL instead.
              Meow

Comment

They should have at least named her "Sophie." It sounds better with "Duffy." It's a common girls name in Ireland. The real Cape Cod is the home to many Irish immigrants. Oh, and while "Sophie" isn't a name of Irish origin, the name "Duffy" is. Anyway, just my contribution.
                JoeInJpn
                Contact me at contact(at)jtcent(dot)com!
                For the latest TDR News, read JTCEnt.com's TDR Nempa Blog!
                Watch TDR Videos and Photos on Joe's Tokyo Disney Resort Photo Site!

Comment

Originally posted by JoeInJpn View Post
                  They should have at least named her "Sophie." It sounds better with "Duffy." It's a common girls name in Ireland. The real Cape Cod is the home to many Irish immigrants. Oh, and while "Sophie" isn't a name of Irish origin, the name "Duffy" is. Anyway, just my contribution.
                  I like Sophie better than Shellie. I think it's probably easier to pronounce in Japanese too. Too bad you couldn't have influenced the name, Joe!
                  Meow

Comment

DuffyDad, you are going to make me like this girl. lol I love your story, Cora would be wonderful. I too am not a fan of the name and half the time I forget her name when thinking about her and call her May in my own mind. I love how Cora is independent and does her own thing yet is friends with Duffy.

DuffyDad, I was laughing so hard reading your post, how you changed her name each time. Too too funny. Thanks for the laugh. But then your story is going to make me like her. Which is okay, but then I will buy into the whole thing and want her and yet its not what you will see in the parks. So Im still not sold, but I do like your story.

I didn't pick up on her being pink from the photo, but I can see it now. I saw her more as a light tan color. And yeah I do agree, she is just a different color Duffy look alike with a bow. I do like her locket sea shell, although I don't get the story line on the sea shell and her.

I too like the name Sophie. Way better then what the poor girl has now.

For me Duffy is Duffy, no matter what they do to him or add to his story line. Im sorry they are messing with the story line in this way. I feel sorry not for myself but for the others who have just meet Duffy or haven't yet had the pleasure of meeting him yet. Duffy is still so sweet and in my mind he will stay that way. Playful and loving. I just hope they don't start selling him as a set, where you have to get her. Or the costumes in a set, his and hers. That would really kill it for me. I just wouldn't want to buy another costume if they did that. If they had matching ones and you could buy both if you wanted, fine. But for me, unless Cora makes me fall for her(lol), Im sticking with Duffy. He will always be this treasure that can only be found in Tokyo Disney Seas. No matter how hard Disney tries to bring the impostors into DL/WDW.

I do think the girl will have some cute clothes which will be a big selling point for her.

Im sorry they choose a name that is hard for the Japanese to say. Wonder why they did that? I wonder if guest will make up their own name for her that is easier to say for them?
                    Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
                    Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum
                    :love:Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011:love:

Comment

Wow, what a total contradiction there, Duffydad! I'm referring to the popcorn bucket and the new skank. On one hand you have them actually doing research and creating a popcorn bucket based on something traditional, and completely thematic to Cape Cod. Then...you have that new bear. I just don't get why so much thought was put into the bucket, and not her?

I love how you changed her name every time you said it too, I was laughing at each new one. Your story for her was a lot better than what little we can glean from the official site too. Coral is a better name too. Shellie, is just so boring. I've also seen Japanese fans posting, and they can't really say her name without calling her "Sherry". It's just not an easy name for Japanese to say.

As for her cuteness, it's not even hers, it's Duffy's. She is basically him, with a recolor, a bow, and blue eyes. I do like the color, I will admit, but she's certainly not any cuter than Duffy. I guess this was to be expected since so many fans obviously wanted a female Duffy. The cottage industry of girl costumes must have proven that to OLC. So, on one hand, I'm upset that OLC went so cheap with it, but on the other hand, I kind of have to blame the fans for it too. They want Duffy to be a girl? Fine, here you go, here comes Shellie May!

I hate how she's already snuggled up to poor Duffy, batting her eyelashes and stealing his spotlight. I can still look at my Duffy bears and see the original intent, I still love them. However, this interloper won't get that same kind of feeling from me. Unless the plush is adorable, I have no interest at this point. I do like your story for her DuffyDad, and that would be how I would view her. I see that there is an official storybook for her, at least on the website. It's the short version though, just like Duffy's. I do wonder if they will create a longer, better storybook for her to sell though. They really need to explain her better...why did Minnie create her? They didn't even bother to tell us the significance of that shell pendant...other than to beat us over the head with her name. Also, if they were going to go for the whole "shell" theme, they should have gone further. Make her bow shell shaped, or at least have the clamshell design on it. And, maybe make her Mickey marks shell shaped too. Whatever, she's here now, it's too late.

I do wonder what the fan's reactions will be to her. I wonder if there will be the same fervor over her as Duffy got. Oh, and you know darn well there will be a walkaround version of her too, sigh...
                      Yeah, that's the strangest thing to me, too... I have come to expect such great ideas and execution from the Duffy team, and this is epitomized in the very innovative, excellently conceived popcorn basket. That bucket is as interesting and standout among popcorn buckets as the Duffy bear is among plush. It is both an attractive product and a fully worked/realized solution to a Duffy-based popcorn bucket, making it actually impressive design. Shellie May feels even cheaper because of the Lightship's existence.

My suggestion for an alternative name was "Cora," not "Coral," just in case. Maybe it was just a typo, but the difference is significant. The "heart" part isn't possible with that "l," plus then it would be just as hard for the Japanese to say properly. "Cora" still has the "r" challenge, too, but it would still sound nice and have the same "vibe" in Japanese. "Shellie May" will sound foreign, awkward, and clumsy on Japanese tongues. I don't know how something that sounds so terrible can ever become endearing. It's bad enough in English, but it's horrid with Japanese pronunciation.

I finally realized today what it really is that bothers me about the name, though. I kept feeling like it was bothering me more than seemed appropriate; like whatever the "big thing" was that really irked me, it hadn't surfaced yet. It's that "Shellie May" is so narrow, so specific, that she can only be exactly and whatever OLC says she is. Something about "Duffy" actually has a quality that, for example, my Duffy and Gurgi's Duffy can both be called "Duffy" but be completely different characters. In fact, that feels natural. Every Duffy is different and every Duffy is Duffy. But "Shellie May?" That can only be one character, who behaves one way, has one story...and that story will not be in the hands of the fans, but rather the OLC. I suspect/hope this is a fundamental weakness for her potential success, since I really think this is a significant part of what has fueled "Duffy Fever." And it also feels like if she's so narrowly defined, and Duffy's attached to her, then Duffy becomes pinned down, too. I hate that.

You're right, though, Gurgi. If fans support her as is, and I suspect they will...we have no one to blame but ourselves. I'm torn between buying one to either torture or make into "Cora"...Taffy - and not wanting to support this move at all. I probably will cave and buy one, just because I don't have the AP anymore so it's harder to change my mind later. And so there ya go, if even the haters are gonna buy her, she's gonna be around for a while. I just wish it felt like fans had some role in who she is, like with Duffy.

Actually, I guess my purchase might depend on if there's a more fleshed out story come next week. Honestly, I suspect there might be. They put too much into that heart shell necklace; they better back it up. If the full story doesn't come out until after launch, I'll be much less impressed. Unlike transforming the Disney Bear into Duffy, there are no excuses for delay with Shellie May - she was (I assume?) built here from the ground up.

You know what else I want to say? Her name looks awkward in print. Duffy fits lots of things nicely, and is fairly balanced in design. "Shellie May" is just too cumbersome on things. You can see that on that little pink heart they have. Duffy has a blue one, and his name fits nicely. She has the pink one, and her name is all crammed in there. It's just not cute looking. It's not a friendly logo like Duffy's name has become. The Duffy name was becoming an iconic graphic like Disney. Shellie May just looks stupid at this point.
                      Yeah, I noticed that, too. And it's just as awkward off the tongue, and doesn't seem to really stick in memory, either. It's like it fails in every possible way. Japanese folks don't seem in love with it, either. I don't understand how this happened, really. It's just such a HUGE failure for such a major new character/merchandising push. I cannot imagine how they could sell me on this name, and I can't see how they could just change it. Something's gonna have to happen, though. It doesn't seem like just any one person's opinion; the name seems to actually be a serious mistake. This bear, by almost any other name, would be at least a bit sweeter. In fact, I sincerely think it's the name more than anything that instantly turned me off to her - with repulsion.

It's like they couldn't've thought of anything worse if they'd been trying:

1. Sounds like a bumpkin bimbo to native English speakers?*... Check!
                      *I take this moment to apologize to any real Shellie Mays out there...
                      ...and for the record, I like Shellie (personal name) May (family name)
                      2. Impossible for 99.9% of our CMs and Guests to say correctly?... Check!
                      3. Not catchy or instantly memorable?... Check!
                      4. Clashes with "Duffy?"... Check!
                      5. Looks bad in print... Check!

Since the only things that make her "not Duffy" are her gender, coloration, ribbon, eyes, and most significantly her name - the name needed to be a winner. I don't know how they can fix this. Actually, that's not true; I have one idea. When I first heard it, I thought it could actually be a pretty good name for a boat. It seems hard to do now, since Minnie seems to have just randomly made her, but if they could get the name inspired by a legendary lightship or something...there's still hope.^^

Alright, Duffydad, I've been thinking about my own story for Ellie May. I think it's a good idea, at least to get our minds off the crap story she was introduced with.

Anyway, my version of the bear would retain the awful name "Shellie May", only because it can't be escaped on the merchandise and officially now. So, in keeping with that, she's a bear from the American south. The Ozark mountains in Arkansas, to be precise. Minnie Mouse did sew her together, but her materials originated in the Ozarks. Since the storybook online basically gives her life immediately, I like to think there's a long gap in there, like Duffy, where she came to life on her own.

She is not really a tramp, but a fun loving girl who may look prissy, but can climb trees and skip stones with the best of them. She's a lot more feisty than Duffy, and treats him as she would a brother. They bonded instantly because of their love of adventure. However, she doesn't like to stay in Cape Cod that much. She would rather go to warmer places, and she's also found a group of friends that she really feels at home with...the Country Bears. She's a fixture with the group, and they've kind of adopted her as a member of the act. She especially looks up to Teddi Bara, and emulates her a little bit. She also made fast friends with Bunny, Bubbles, & Beulah, because they are closer in age.

So, she will come visit Duffy on occasion to hang out and go on the occasional adventure with him. On one of these visits, Minnie Mouse presented her with a heart-shaped shell locket, with a good luck message inside. Minnie was surprised at first when she found that Shellie was just as alive as Duffy was, but then she didn't question that kind of magic. She only wanted Shellie to be a happy bear with the best of luck. So, now you might occasionally spot Duffy and Shellie May hanging out together sharing some sweets in Cape Cod, but more often than not, you can find her over at Tokyo Disneyland hanging out with her newfound family, the Country Bears.

Alright, maybe it's corny, but it's what came to mind after thinking about her name, and wanting a more fleshed out story for her...and possibly link her to TDL instead.
                      You're right. "Shellie May" is here to stay and there's no point denying it. And that name severely limits the imagination about what kind of character she can be. I gotta say, I love your take. Why the Ozarks? Incidentally, the state my friend mentioned for "Single Mothers under 12" was Arkansas, funnily enough! I actually laughed out loud when I read that!)

I think it's interesting that we both have the same image of her as kind of a more "free spirit" than Duffy. I wonder if there's something to that? I don't think her pendant should have a message like a paper inside it, though - Duffy has a "message in a bottle." If she has a shell, it should somehow be about hearing a special message. Duffy's has all the association of a bottle floating on the waves; Shellie May's necklace should have an auditory connection to really sell the concept. Duffy travels in dreams; maybe Shellie May hears people's wishes? I'm pretty sure nothing will officially tie her to the Country Bears, but I like that idea, too. It gives both her and Duffy more space to have their own identities. Nicely done, Gurgi!^^

Originally posted by JoeInJpn View Post
                      That's the name of one of the very best friends I've ever had! "Sophie" has nothing to do with their obvious attempts to connect her to a special object, though. Their intention was clearly to do something with that necklace. Again, I think "Cora" was the way to go...and I just realized, too that "Cora" would even kinda sell "heart" in Japanese. The Japanese word is "kokoro." UGH! I wish I worked on the Duffy team! I think I really could be an asset! Oh! Maybe Shellie May will hear me!:blush:

I really do like "Sophie," too, and it is a good "Duffy" (ダッフィー) parallel... Hm... Maybe "Sewphie?" No, that doesn't look cute. But in Japanese, it would look the same either way (ソッフィー), so it could maybe still work. I was thinking her special object could be Minnie's "magic needle" so we could also explain how Minnie is bringing all these plush to life!:lol: And they're "couple contraction" nickname (why is this a trend...i hate this...but here i am doing it...^^) could be "SoDa," which even though it puts her first, is cute in both English and Japanese!^^ By the way, "ソダ/そだ" in Japanese can mean something like, "That's right!"^^ Right? Other better Japanese-speaking folks?:unsure:

"Taffy" (タッフィー) like saltwater taffy would've really worked, too. It has perfect symmetry with "Duffy" (ダッフィー). Plus, it has that same "Duffy" potential (somehow...?) to be a named character with a clear marketing persona, yet who could still feel like a totally different personality/identity unique to each owner. This is absolutely my favorite now! While it's not as sophisticated as "Sophie" or "Cora," it seems more like the odd cuteness of "Duffy." It sounds "girly" enough. It connects directly to a special object and an origin story, plus keeps Duffy's magic front-and-center:

Taffy story removed so people don't end up basically reading the same thing twice (see revised story on next page). Like Cora, Taffy served her purpose and led to a Shellie May I can actually kinda smile about.^^

Though Minnie still gets to be special and essential; it's Duffy's generosity to give the shell away, and the wish of his powerful heart that animate Taffy (there's a Mythica reference in there, too^^). Minnie, Mickey - and even Duffy - are genuinely surprised when Taffy comes to life! I :love: this story! I can see every detail! ...Which is kind of painful, ironically.^^ There are so many beats and callbacks to the original Duffy story; I just can't get enough of the symmetry! The image of them eating taffy together is just too cute!) Their couple stuff should be ambiguous - siblings, friends or sweethearts - YOU decide! Actually, with this story, I think even all the same merchandising images become more open to them just being platonic friends, if that's what you want to see, but they could still be sweethearts, too! Because "Taffy" sounds closer to "Duffy," too, it makes it easier to see her as a sister if you want. I think that's cute for little brothers and sisters whose parents buy them.

Japanese Guests/CMs would still pronounce that "a" (where her heart like the one in Duffy's "D" would be, only with shell lines^^) more like British "ah" than the American way, but it doesn't present nearly the same challenge as "Shellie." While I like the not-so-cutesy class of both "Cora" and "Sophie," "Taffy" solves the problem of clearly naming her, but not over-defining or limiting her for fans. Design is about solutions, not just making things pretty or cute anyway. A girl Duffy should be just as malleable as he is, and I think "Taffy" would be. "Taffy" could be a million different girl bears, or even the name of the doll itself, as an object - a Taffy. "Duffy" can do this. Do you guys get what I mean about this "universal name" thing? Do other people feel like that, or is that a me-thing? I can't put my finger on why some names seem able to do that and some don't...

I can see the whole illustrated story, and I can see her having exactly the same charm as Duffy (which for me to say is pretty huge, right?...the name matters^^), plus the open-endedness to allow fans to still see her in new ways...and still always be "Taffy." If OLC had presented "Taffy" to begin with, I probly would've thought it was a bit silly at first, but it also would've instantly clicked and stayed with me. I think as soon as I saw this new story and the artwork, I would :love: it! It just feels like it already was/is her name, for me anyway...but it never will be. Now I know for sure, though, that I could have loved this character - not "accepted" - loved. ANYTHING would be better than what we got. I'd almost prefer "Pink Hag" to "Shellie May." At least the former has some edgy personality.^^

DuffyDad, you are going to make me like this girl. lol I love your story, Cora would be wonderful. I too am not a fan of the name and half the time I forget her name when thinking about her and call her May in my own mind. I love how Cora is independent and does her own thing yet is friends with Duffy.

DuffyDad, I was laughing so hard reading your post, how you changed her name each time. Too too funny. Thanks for the laugh. But then your story is going to make me like her. Which is okay, but then I will buy into the whole thing and want her and yet its not what you will see in the parks. So Im still not sold, but I do like your story.

I didn't pick up on her being pink from the photo, but I can see it now. I saw her more as a light tan color. And yeah I do agree, she is just a different color Duffy look alike with a bow. I do like her locket sea shell, although I don't get the story line on the sea shell and her.

I too like the name Sophie. Way better then what the poor girl has now.

For me Duffy is Duffy, no matter what they do to him or add to his story line. Im sorry they are messing with the story line in this way. I feel sorry not for myself but for the others who have just meet Duffy or haven't yet had the pleasure of meeting him yet. Duffy is still so sweet and in my mind he will stay that way. Playful and loving. I just hope they don't start selling him as a set, where you have to get her. Or the costumes in a set, his and hers. That would really kill it for me. I just wouldn't want to buy another costume if they did that. If they had matching ones and you could buy both if you wanted, fine. But for me, unless Cora makes me fall for her(lol), Im sticking with Duffy. He will always be this treasure that can only be found in Tokyo Disney Seas. No matter how hard Disney tries to bring the impostors into DL/WDW.

I do think the girl will have some cute clothes which will be a big selling point for her.

Im sorry they choose a name that is hard for the Japanese to say. Wonder why they did that? I wonder if guest will make up their own name for her that is easier to say for them?
                      That's my problem, too. Once I had the name "Cora," and a different backstory, I actually started to open more to the design and concept of the character. Now, when I think of her as Taffy, I just wanna buy everything - how lame is that!? Unlike the perfect balance of generic openness and characterizing limitation that is "Duffy," though, "Shellie May" does not offer a lot of room to reimagine. Even if you did find more wiggle room with the story, the name itself is still pretty repulsive to me. It's frustrating.:bang:

I hope I can get back to loving Classic Duffy. I think really seeing the new character in TDS, just accepting that it happened, and buying the Lightship Basket will help. But that's the other thing that makes me really sad, Janell. For all the people that'll be getting to know Duffy now - the moment of his really aggressive broader marketing push - there will be no Classic Duffy. Duffy will be what they see, and though the new hardcore fans will read about times and outfits before "Shellie May," there will be no way for them to know the real feeling of the perfect symmetry between unexplainable "Duffy magic" in the OLC story and the unexplainable real phenomenon of "that crazy teddy bear trend in Tokyo." This is demonstrated so well by the last page in the long version of Duffy's storybook:

There’s even a rumor that sometimes you can find Duffy by himself, strolling along the pier in his sailor uniform, perhaps returning from his own adventuresBut how can this be?! He’s just a teddy bear, right? Nobody understands it, but you should try to meet him yourself! Can you think of a new adventure for you and Duffy? Then you’ll be saying, too, “That Duffy sure is one special teddy bear!”

It's not as random, weird, quirky or interesting now. Shellie May's story has no echoes of real-world events.** It makes the whole thing "just another Disney franchise." Bah! Humbug!

**That Lightship Basket does give me hope, though, that Shellie may^^ just end up surprising us all come next Friday...then again, perhaps not. I don't think ANYTHING could compare to "Taffy" for me now. I actually want her even more than I want Duffy alone. Like this, she actually adds something - we get to see Duffy's adorable sad face, deepening his character! I love LOVE :love: her!!!

PS - Thank you, Joe. If I hadn't been inspired by "ソッフィー" to think about the name from katakana, I would never have thought of this!^^
                      Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 01-17-2010, 05:01 AM. Reason: Thank you, Taffy. You were great.^^

Comment

I'm starting to think they won't introduce the plush right away.
                        Last edited by DreamSweetsLove; 01-16-2010, 09:18 PM.

Comment

DuffyDad, I like your story about Taffy. You are so going to make me like her. lol Taffy still has the innocence of Duffy and still can be what ever you want her to be. I love it. Why they didn't ask us when designing a friend for Duffy Im not sure. lol

I wonder how the selling of items are going to go? It maybe hard for guest to buy everything Duffy and everything Taffy(I just don't like her name). Guest are going to have to pick and choose.

I also wonder if guest will carry both of them around with them or will they just bring one to the park at a time?

Comment

Wow, I've only been away from the boards for awhile and now there's a She-Duffy to contend with? I'm not a fan of her backwoods-tinged name either; Sophie is my favorite suggestion mentioned here. I do not intend to purchase her when she becomes available as her design is uninspired and perpetuates age old gender assigned stereotypes (pink/lashes/ribbon=female and blue=male).

last time i buy crystal ball from pic n save!

Comment

I'm starting to think they won't introduce the plush right away.
                              They will. They've already set her up too much. The normal plush will be ¥3800, plus she'll have a costume for ¥3500 and her shell pendant will be sold separately for ¥600. I don't know about the costume and the pendant, but the bear herself will be available year-round, subject to availability but not "limited."

DuffyDad, I like your story about Taffy. You are so going to make me like her. lol Taffy still has the innocence of Duffy and still can be what ever you want her to be. I love it. Why they didn't ask us when designing a friend for Duffy Im not sure. lol

I wonder how the selling of items are going to go? It maybe hard for guest to buy everything Duffy and everything Taffy(I just don't like her name). Guest are going to have to pick and choose.

I also wonder if guest will carry both of them around with them or will they just bring one to the park at a time?
                              Thanks, Janell. I want to like her, too, actually. Not liking her makes me not like Duffy, and that makes me kinda sad. But "Taffy" is never going to be her name (and is a little cutesy, really), so I've rewritten the story with "Shellie May." It's possible that I like it even better now, and the good news is, no matter what they do or don't do with the official story, now I have a story using the official name that I actually like. Plus, she inspired me to actually get creative, and that's kinda also made me love her more. Her name has a different feel to me now.

Originally posted by malice View Post
                              Wow, I've only been away from the boards for awhile and now there's a She-Duffy to contend with? I'm not a fan of her backwoods-tinged name either; Sophie is my favorite suggestion mentioned here. I do not intend to purchase her when she becomes available as her design is uninspired and perpetuates age old gender assigned stereotypes (pink/lashes/ribbon=female and blue=male).
                              :lol: I like "Sophie," too, but it's not gonna happen. I also agree with you about the stereotypes and uninspired design. But if I hate her, I like Duffy less, too, so I need a story I can live with, and maybe even really like.

There was a STORY here. It's gone now.

I just realized, too, that the "ie" probably isn't intended to be "different from Duffy" like I said before. More likely it's intended to be like "Minnie." Just something I was thinking about...:whistling

Anyway, I hope that others will post more stories. Gurgi, do a long version of yours!^^
                              Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 01-25-2010, 06:44 AM. Reason: Not putting the story up again until it's really "done" done.^^

Comment

That is a really cute and sweet story DuffyDad! I wonder wha kind of costume ShellieMay will have!

Comment

That is a really cute and sweet story DuffyDad! I wonder wha kind of costume ShellieMay will have!
                                  Thanks, Ichigo. Now if only they keep it simple and don't release some other story that I hate that ruins it.^^ I'm curious what her costume will be like, too. I assume it will be a dress. Red and white stripes to match Duffy's would be cute. Might as well enjoy the matching; you know that's how it's gonna be from now on.:blush:

Comment

Wow, Dufftdad, THAT is the best story for her! You made me love her. You did an excellent job of making it fit, and it seems official.

Thank you for your creativity! In fact I want to print your story and keep it with Duffy's storybook.
                                    Meow

Comment

DuffyDad, that is a great story. Thank you for making it and sharing.

Comment

Wow, Dufftdad, THAT is the best story for her! You made me love her. You did an excellent job of making it fit, and it seems official.

Thank you for your creativity! In fact I want to print your story and keep it with Duffy's storybook.
                                        Thanks for your kindness, guys. Gurgi, be sure and check the updated version before you print.
                                        Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 01-18-2010, 06:06 AM.

Comment

• Re: Sweet Duffy 2010

The story is probably much better than what they will come up with- Great job DuffyDad.

We should probably give Shellie May a chance before passing too much judgement on her.

I like the part where she says call me Shellie since it sounds a little bit better than Shellie May.

You know the Shellie plush will be coming- but I hope they don't go too out of control and overshadow Duffy. I still like the idea of using her annually as part of the Sweet Duffy promotion each year similar to what they do with the smiling Duffy each year at Christmas (now I'm starting to regret a little in not getting one this past christmas- but there's always this year)

One good thing that I see about creating a female bear- At least now many of the Duffy-ites can stop dressing poor Duffy in drag!!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X