This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Sweet Duffy 2010

Hey Duffster, I wasn't picking or talking about you- but you sort of know what I mean- Yes, it's great to pick out that one special Duffy- You did a great job choosing one for me. But some people get toooo carried away.

I was there the first night of the Christmas release of the smiling Duffy to pick out one for Gurgi & my friend at work and I was doing my best in trying to select the best ones- but with the crush of people in the shop made that really difficult. I couldn't even get near some of the fixtures and saw some girls (and guys to be fair) going thru each and every bear and holding their "selecetd ones off to the side & some of them had about 8 of them already- I thought the limit was 2, but I could be wrong- but most likely they were the bears deamed worthy for their final selections.

You've been there & done that too- so you know what I'm talking about, but to me, it's just very time consuming. I actually am very fascinated in observing just how much joy & pride that many of the Duffy fans take in selecting the perfect Duffy & now Shellie.

Still- for me, I'd just wait till thing die down a little bit- but I guess I have to since it'll be a while before I can come back to TDR- I'm a little bummed about missing out on the Sweet Duffy stuff and the new cups & plates- hopefully they'll reach ebay soon at reasonable prices. I can't figure out that Japanese Auction site for the life of me and really don't understand that other site Gurgi posted- If you get the chance- email me on how that works Gurgi.

Comment

I too take forever to pick something out. Especially a plush of any kind, not just a Duffy thing. I have been that way since I was a child. I would pick the plushes up and see which one I wanted. I don't always pick the perfect one either. I feel sorry for a plush that wasn't perfect, thinking that plush wouldn't find a home, so I pick that one. Im sure that sounds silly, but that is me. Every plush deserves a good home. :-) Now with costumes I go for the perfect one. Because every Duffy need good clothes to look his best. lol
      Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
      Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum
      :love:Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011:love:

Comment

I've definitely been known to check all the plush to find just the right one. In fact, most friends just ask me to pick the best one if we're shopping together. I guess my eye for detail just makes that my job, LOL! Seriously, I've had all my friends tell me "just pick a good one for me", and they stand off to the side or look at other stuff while I "work"...

I do think if I spent 6 hours in line, I would be darn sure to get the best one too. I know that there are other people waiting in line outside, but I would kick myself for just settling for something without really looking, if I felt rushed. It's like picking out just the right puppy. Sure, the Duffies & Shellies are all relatively similar, but, like Duffydad said, you need to connect with the one you will end up taking home, just like a pet.

As for that Yahoo Auctions Japan bidding site, I got them to add Shellie May in their search database! So, now you can find all the Duffy & Shellie stuff that's available on YAJ. Here are the links.

Duffy:
        Yahoo Japan Auction Bidding & Shopping Support Service- Japamart

Shellie May:
        Yahoo Japan Auction Bidding & Shopping Support Service- Japamart

There's a "translate" button on the Japamart menu at the top, so you can read the descriptions in English. They use Google, not their own, but still, it's pretty helpful.
        Meow

Comment

Like everything made in China, the quality varies from piece to piece, particularly if there was any hand finishing involved in the final steps. I salute anyone who cares enough to be picky.
          Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

Comment

Originally posted by jedimaster7313 View Post
            Hey Duffster, I wasn't picking or talking about you- but you sort of know what I mean- Yes, it's great to pick out that one special Duffy- You did a great job choosing one for me. But some people get toooo carried away... going thru each and every bear and holding their "selecetd ones off to the side & some of them had about 8 of them already- I thought the limit was 2, but I could be wrong- but most likely they were the bears deamed worthy for their final selections.

You've been there & done that too- so you know what I'm talking about, but to me, it's just very time consuming...
            Of course I was kidding, silly. I know you weren't actually trying to offend me or anything, and of course I wasn't actually being defensive. I just wanted a "little kid" way to introduce my post cos Duffy makes me feel like a little kid.^^

It does take a looong time to pick the right one, and I do usually keep a few - my limit is four at a time - until I can eliminate to the best one. I noticed with Shellie, it seems more like all of them are consistently cute, but there seems to be a greater variation in the personality conveyed when her faces are different than with Duffy. Some Shellies look tomboyish, some prissy, some romantic, and some are almost "sultry," a la Daisy. Although there were very few that seemed..."wrong"...as sometimes happens with Duffys, there were a LOT more differences in how each one felt, perhaps because Shellie's character is still so open and undefined.

I wonder if they'll ever have an "anime head" version of Shellie in the parks? I really prefer the "anime" (my name for them^^) Duffys over the normal ones, but they're only there sometimes... Both my Duffy and the Shellie I got for my mom were made in Vietnam. It seems the anime-head is only from China, but not all of the Chinese ones. I guess it's a difference in the factory's style, not OLC's request or planning? If anyone (hint: Ichigo and Joe!:blush happens to spot this version of Shellie in the shops, please let us know and post photos ASAP!^^

Here you can see two of the animes next to a "classic" Duffy on the right. The classic one looks bigger in the photos, but they really are the same size, I think. Still, you can see the clear difference in the shape, roundness and proportions of the face and head. Aside from the general roundness, the main point is the perky nose and short muzzle.

Comment

I wouldn't call it the "anime" version so much as I would call it the Kawaii version.

I mean, that's like calling the Super Duper Jumpin' Time versions of Mickey and Minnie anime, when from a design stance, they are really just simplified down to what makes them cute. It's kind of what happened when they tried doing that for Marie, only to realize she came way too close to looking like Hello Kitty when they simplified her design.
              WARNING: Any opinions expressed by this user are wrong.

Comment

Good photo DuffyDad. You can really see the difference in that photo. Both are very cute. Why do they change Duffy up? Are they trying to appeal to different people or think people will collect them all?

So is it too soon to tell? Are guest bring Shellie May with Duffy into the park with them or are they choosing one?(that is if they have both)

Comment

Originally posted by Janell View Post
                  Good photo DuffyDad. You can really see the difference in that photo. Both are very cute. Why do they change Duffy up? Are they trying to appeal to different people or think people will collect them all?
                  It's just a combination of what was stated before now. Different people making the product, some of the individual products will have "flaws" of one nature or the other depending on how they were made.

The shorter snout does seem to be the more common model, so there may be a chance that the differance is an early generation design and the majority of them was after the design change.
                  WARNING: Any opinions expressed by this user are wrong.

Comment

On the weekend the lines picked up again!

Please follow me @dreamsweetslove on twitter!
                    https://twitter.com/#!/DreamSweetsLove

Comment

Oh, I had no idea there were even differences in the regular Duffy plush. I like the shorter snout version better, a lot better! It's a cuter design. Not that the original isn't cute, but his snout is too long, and brings him into looking like a real bear or dog snout. It's big. The newer version is more "centered", and cute. It's basically like the smiling version, only without the open mouth. So, is Shellie this new design, or is her snout more like the original Duffy?

I know the regular one I have at home is the original version, with the long snout. I don't know if they had the other one when mine was chosen. He's still cute, but I do really like the tighter face design.
                      Meow

Comment

The smoosh faced Duffy more resembles the walk-around character.

last time i buy crystal ball from pic n save!

Comment

I had never realized there was a difference till DuffyDad pointed it out to me this past October- I wound up exchanging the long snout for the shorter one myself, thanks again to the Duffster since I would have no idea on how to convey to them that I wanted to do an exchange myself due to my lack of the Japanese language- Konichiwa & Arrigato Gozimas can only get you so far when you don't speak the language.

I like the shorter snout also anyway.

Comment

In Duffy storyline, where does he live? I know he goes on his adventures, but when he is ashore at Cape Code, does he have a home? Does he sleep in some apartment at Aunt Peg's?

Comment

Originally posted by Janell View Post
                              In Duffy storyline, where does he live? I know he goes on his adventures, but when he is ashore at Cape Code, does he have a home? Does he sleep in some apartment at Aunt Peg's?
                              He is full of mystery, isn't he?^^

Comment

Originally posted by DuffyDad View Post
                                He is full of mystery, isn't he?^^
                                :-) I thought you may say something like that. So I take it that Duffy can sleep anywhere and call any place his home. Makes senses.

I wasn't sure if he had a definite home or not and I just missed it in the storyline. Thanks DuffyDad.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X