Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Two Riverboats in Tokyo Disneyland?

I noticed when looking at Tokyo Disneyland in Google Maps that there seem to be two identical boats in the Rivers of America in Frontierland. I figured this must mean that there are two riverboats in Frontierland, but Wikipedia says there is only one, the Mark Twain. Does anyone know what the other boat is in this Google Maps image?

Click here to see the image on Google maps.

Re: Two Riverboats in Tokyo Disneyland?

DL Paris has the Mark Twain and the Molly Brown, if I'm not mistaken:

Molly Brown growing greens again • DLRP Today - What's New, What's Next at Disneyland Paris

But then I heard the Molly Brown caught fire or something.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkTwain View Post
      I noticed when looking at Tokyo Disneyland in Google Maps that there seem to be two identical boats in the Rivers of America in Frontierland. I figured this must mean that there are two riverboats in Frontierland, but Wikipedia says there is only one, the Mark Twain. Does anyone know what the other boat is in this Google Maps image?

Click here to see the image on Google maps.
      As with many Google Maps images, that one is a composite showing the same boat from pictures taken at different times. If you can spot the backstage dock, you'll see that there is only space for one boat.
      JoeInJpn
      Contact me at contact(at)jtcent(dot)com!
      For the latest TDR News, read JTCEnt.com's TDR Nempa Blog!
      Watch TDR Videos and Photos on Joe's Tokyo Disney Resort Photo Site!

Comment

Originally posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
        DL Paris has the Mark Twain and the Molly Brown, if I'm not mistaken:

Molly Brown growing greens again • DLRP Today - What's New, What's Next at Disneyland Paris

But then I heard the Molly Brown caught fire or something.
        Yep, Disneyland Paris has two different riverboats, the Mark Twain and the Molly Brown. The Mark Twain is the classic sternwheeler we all know and love, but the Molly Brown is unique in that it's the only sidewheeler in a Disneyland park.

Shame about the fire, though.

Originally posted by JoeInJpn View Post
        As with many Google Maps images, that one is a composite showing the same boat from pictures taken at different times. If you can spot the backstage dock, you'll see that there is only space for one boat.
        THAT explains it. I suspected something like this may have happened, but the image was so seamless... Thanks!

Comment

The Molly Brown was eventually repaired and is still in operation--I believe that article was in the Disney and More blog.

There is indeed only one large boat on the river in Tokyo Disneyland. The Indian village and areas are more extensive than at Disneyland, and far more well maintained. It's a real treat. On the busiest days in Tokyo Disneyland, the Mark Twain is a refuge of tranquility and exemplifies Walt Disney's genuis.
          Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

Comment

The Mark Twain is the classic sternwheeler we all know and love, but the Molly Brown is unique in that it's the only sidewheeler in a Disneyland park.
            Although Florida used to have the sidewheeler Admiral Joe Fowler, until it was destroyed in a drydock accident (or so the story goes)....

Comment

Useless trivia department:

Of all TDL attractions, this one is the most susceptible to temporary closure during times of strong winds.
              JoeInJpn
              Contact me at contact(at)jtcent(dot)com!
              For the latest TDR News, read JTCEnt.com's TDR Nempa Blog!
              Watch TDR Videos and Photos on Joe's Tokyo Disney Resort Photo Site!

Comment

Originally posted by jsilvers View Post
                Although Florida used to have the sidewheeler Admiral Joe Fowler, until it was destroyed in a drydock accident (or so the story goes)....
                The Admiral Joe Fowler was actually a sternwheeler, and very much resembled the Mark Twain at Disneyland and in Tokyo (picture). I really like the idea of having a simple, older-fashioned steamboat, the Liberty Belle, and a grander, newer riverboat, the Admiral Joe Fowler, both cruising the Rivers of the Magic Kingdom together. It's one of my Disney wishes that someday, Disney will rebuild the Admiral Joe Fowler (or a similar, other-named descendent), and two steamboats will cruise the Rivers once more. Of course right now, the Liberty Belle alone often runs with far less than a full boat, so there may not be the guest demand to justify it.

I agree with the sentiment of the riverboats being a wonderful source of magic and relaxation to the Magic Kingdoms. Obviously, I've become quite partial to them (see my avatar).

Comment

Of all TDL attractions, this one is the most susceptible to temporary closure during times of strong winds.
                  haha! interesting!

There are two steam boats at Tokyo Disneyland.

Comment

Originally posted by Fukai View Post
                    The Molly Brown was eventually repaired and is still in operation--I believe that article was in the Disney and More blog.
                    She sure is, went on it last year. I'd forgotten about Molly Brown being in the narration. She sounds rather lusty towards the Captain.... unless thats just because she's talking in French.

Originally posted by jsilvers View Post
                    Is that the same as the "sink hole" for Horizons?

Really? How bizarre! I would not have thought it would have caused that much bother.
                    sigpic

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
                    Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by Fukai View Post

There is indeed only one large boat on the river in Tokyo Disneyland. The Indian village and areas are more extensive than at Disneyland, and far more well maintained. It's a real treat. On the busiest days in Tokyo Disneyland, the Mark Twain is a refuge of tranquility and exemplifies Walt Disney's genuis.
                      I agree, and that's one of the only things about Fantasmic! at Disneyland that I don't like. It's removed the Mark Twain from the evening attraction roster. There was nothing quite like riding the Rivers of America at night. It was just so peaceful and relaxing. Especially after a long day of crowds in the park. I'm glad that TDL still has that experience, and they probably need it the most!

Originally posted by Disney Sea View Post
                      haha! interesting!

There are two steam boats at Tokyo Disneyland.
                      No, there is only one, as Joe pointed out. It's a composite image with the same riverboat, the Mark Twain, at several points along the river. DLP is currently the only Magic Kingdom to have 2 riverboats.
                      Meow

Comment

Funny thing on google maps Tokyo Disneyland, look at the parade! (in tomorrowland going past Fantasyland) they (google maps) blurred out half of the floats near the castle, so we can say for sure that the pic of Tokyo Disney is made of diffrent photo's that are pasted togeter. (also you can clearly see that on the left there are way more people waiting for the parade, on the right they just walk around because there isn't any parade)

~Dex
                        "Fish are friends! NOT food!"
                        ~Finding Nemo

Comment

You are correct about the composite image, but the fact that the dock only holds one boat at a time has nothing to do with having one or two boats on the river. Disneyland has both the Mark Twain and the Columbia, yet has only one dry dock area- Fowler's Harbor. Tokyo Disneyland could have two riverboats if they wanted to, even though they have only space for one boat in the dry dock area.

Comment

The other boat can overnight at the guest boarding dock.

Comment

i love riding the molly brown. you're all right it is the most relaxing part of the park. i've been to dlp twice but never seen the mark twain in action. is it permanently out of action these days?

Comment

The Mark Twain operates in Disneyland Paris.
                                Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

Comment

The Admiral Joe Fowler was actually a sternwheeler, and very much resembled the Mark Twain at Disneyland and in Tokyo (picture).
                                  Interesting ... The articles that I initially consulted claimed that it was a sidewheeler, but digging deeper it seems that the majority (backed up with pictures) show that it was a sternwheeler. Wonder why there's confusion ...

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                  Working...
                                  X