This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Review] Concept Artwork in New Book

Have any of you purchased the new book "Imagineering - A Behind the Dreams Look at Making More Magic Real?" I received my copy today and I heartily recommend it to any fan of imagineering. It is a sequel to a book of similar name released many years ago, and is also the most beautiful Disney book since Alain Littaye's one on Disneyland Paris some years ago.

There are tons of great artwork, including a substantial number of previously unreleased images. Among these are some great concepts for DisneySea.

For me the most interesting of these is a picture map showing an early proposed version of DisneySea, found in the upper right corner of page 52. One still enters through a Mediterranean / hotel area, which is called Portofino. In this version the American Harbour area is not the left, but to the right as we enter, and is called "Big City Waterfront". There is a different Fortress Explorations, shaped like a fanciful lighthouse. I have seen larger artwork of this "lighthouse" version in the original precursor book. Mermaid Lagoon is located where Port Discovery and the empty expansion area next to Lost River Delta is currently located. Lost River Delta and Mysterious Island (called "Vulcania") are pretty much the same as they are today. But most interesting in this most interesting map, is Glacier Bay. This is an icy port located where Arabian Coast and Mermaid Lagoon eventually came to be. It must have been a smaller version of this land that Imagineers tried to get approved for HKDL, but instead got Toy Story Playland instead. Finally in the TDS concept picture map, there is a land / building called Pacifica Discovery Center inbetween Big City and Glacier Bay areas. You can see the map in the upper right corner of the first page of the pic below, which is from Alain Littaye's Disneyandmore blog:

On p. 26 there is a view of how (what I call) the "lighthouse" version Fortress Explorations would look like from atop the Tower of Terror. From below the Tower of Terror, is a suspension bridge linking the "American" area to Vulcania...I think this is modeled on the Brooklyn Bridge.

On p 49 there is concept artwork of an unbuilt carnival land for DisneySea. The rides seem similar to Paradise Pier but on a somewhat smaller scale, and the whole area is nautically themed and quite well done.

On pp54 - 55 there is a great two page artwork spread showing Port Discovery, somewhat similar to they way it was eventually built, but a terrific building for Storm Rider in the shape of a giant vehicle (and switching locations with the Aquatopia building). Here is the pic from Alain Littaye's Disneyandmore blog:

There are tons of other great artwork and pics, including many more on TDR and also an early layout for HKDL with the castle in a different location, a Pirates ride, and even a Villains section for Fantasyland. Again I highly recommend the book. The original book was great too but I think this new one is even more geared towards Disneyphiles than its Eisner era predecessor.
    Last edited by tasman; 06-02-2010, 04:17 PM.
    Down with the Hat

Re: Concept Artwork in New Book

Love these images! I need this book.

One thing I noticed. . .in the model on page 52-53 (?) lower right hand corner, there is what appears to be a theatre near the Roman section of Mediterranean Harbor behind the Zambini Brothers' Restaurant. This looks like a fairly accurate model of the current park. Any idea as to what was planned for that spot? This is not the Soarin' showbuilding shape, so I am curious.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikInTheCity View Post

One thing I noticed. . .in the model on page 52-53 (?) lower right hand corner, there is what appears to be a theatre near the Roman section of Mediterranean Harbor behind the Zambini Brothers' Restaurant. This looks like a fairly accurate model of the current park. Any idea as to what was planned for that spot? This is not the Soarin' showbuilding shape, so I am curious.
      Your eyes are very sharp - yes, there is a theater-type building behind where there are some Roman ruins in real life. The book doesn't mention what was supposed to be in it. The model is obviously a late version because other than the theater, it is identical to DisneySea as built.

The alternate layouts always interest me greatly...especially because they might serve as templates for future parks. I did not start a separate thread in HKDL section, but in an early park layout seen in the book, the castle is at the back of Fantasyland (where the train station is) and serves as the entrance to what is probably an E-ticket ride. Where the castle is today there is probably a gateway into Fantasyland. What a neat idea!...and who knows, we might see it in Shanghai or somewhere else.
      Last edited by tasman; 06-04-2010, 01:58 PM.
      Down with the Hat

Comment

I hope I get my book soon.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikInTheCity View Post

You're right Erik. It would be the Soarin' building. Only because the front of the building looks like that, doesn't necessarily mean the show building behind it couldn't hold the attraction.
          JoeInJpn
          Contact me at contact(at)jtcent(dot)com!
          For the latest TDR News, read JTCEnt.com's TDR Nempa Blog!
          Watch TDR Videos and Photos on Joe's Tokyo Disney Resort Photo Site!

Comment

Boy...I am missing out not having this book yet.

Comment

Regarding that Med. Harbor building, it is a standard theater for a live show/musical, not for Soarin'.

I don't have any inside confirmation, but you can tell because of the building's shape. Just like many other live show venues (e.g., Indiana Jones Stunt show (MGM), Toon Lagoon Theatre (IOA), Showbase (TDL)), it has a fan-shaped auditorium narrowing to a stage and two exits for mass egress at either side of the fan's edge. Guests would enter front & center.

I believe Soarin' (which has a much differently-shaped show building consisting of dual omni-screens) was later planned for this same piece of real estate, but the building in the model is almost certainly for a theatrical presentation.
              http://www.idealbuildout.blogspot.com/

Comment

I would add that while the book is great - and easily worth the $37 Amazon price tag - it doesn't contain anything that matches the reveal of the DisneySea model in the first book. The first version came back before the internet was commonplace and I knew nothing about DisneySea, so to see an in-the-works, brand new concept theme park, fully-revealed in model form was - to me - mind-blowing.

In this version, there is a lot of great work, but, thanks to the internet, only about 30% is new to me. Most of the focus is on completed or in-progress projects (like Mermaid). I was hoping for a big reveal (Shanghai) to match that DisneySea model of the first version.

And I agree with Tasman: the alternative DisneySea painting is the best pic in the book - but too darn small!
                http://www.idealbuildout.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by RandySavage View Post
                  Regarding that Med. Harbor building, it is a standard theater for a live show/musical, not for Soarin'.

I don't have any inside confirmation, but you can tell because of the building's shape. Just like many other live show venues (e.g., Indiana Jones Stunt show (MGM), Toon Lagoon Theatre (IOA), Showbase (TDL)), it has a fan-shaped auditorium narrowing to a stage and two exits for mass egress at either side of the fan's edge. Guests would enter front & center.

I believe Soarin' (which has a much differently-shaped show building consisting of dual omni-screens) was later planned for this same piece of real estate, but the building in the model is almost certainly for a theatrical presentation.
                  I agree, I think it was a stage show that got left out in the final cut.

Just as well...the park really doesn't need another show...it would do better with a well themed next-gen soarin or some altogether new ride.

I also agree with you Randy that the availability of concept images on the net does steal some of the thunder from this book. However, for $37 Amazon and free shipping, it's still worth it simply as a beautifully crafted manuscript (I'm glad I didn't pay the full $60 though).
                  Down with the Hat

Comment

I already own this book its a must for Tokyo DisneySea enthusiast. Also has quite a bit of coverage dedicated to Tokyo Disneyland.
                    Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/malin1804

Comment

Just bought this book, and let me say that it is just STUNNING. So beautiful.
                      Follow me on --> Twitter (@soda)

Comment

Ok, I was waiting to get this book later, but these images, and the recommendations from you guys, make me want to get it now. I have the first version.
                        Meow

Comment

Thanks for the tip. That does look interesting. Is there a lot about the Tokyo Resort, or is that just a small section of the book?

Comment

Coverage of the Resort is shown though out the book and not just in one section. In fact all the Resorts with the exception of Disneyland Paris get some decent exposure. Certainly worth having.
                            Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/malin1804

Comment

I posted about this book here when it first came out, but the mods moved the post to the "book review" area, which wasn't a good idea because no one interested in Tokyo DisneySea read it!

Great book. Worth every amazon.com penny.
                              Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X