Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Any advice for a Disney novice?

With the exception of a holiday to Euro Disney when I was 12, I've never been to a disney park. Shocking. I know.

My wife, however, has been to the california and florida parks more times that I care to count. She is a true disney fan.

She has just received her pilots licence and when I asked her what she wanted to do to celebrate she half jokingly said " I'm going to disneyland! ......Tokyo."

And so, as a celebratory gift / birthday surprise, I'm going to take her.

I've been reading the posts here for a while and I fear I may have gotten in over my head.

It is apparent that tokyo disney is nothing like euro disney..

So, I need some help here.
    My wife and I have different attitudes toward holidays. I am very " let's sleep in late and leisurely explore.." while she is more of a " let's wake up at the crack of dawn and cram every single experience into our day until we crash from exhaustion."

I hate crowds, she is uneffected by them.
    I worry over details, she is carefree.

But I am willing to endure a few days of stress for her.

My plan was to take her the second week of septemeber until the beginning of october. ( not all of that time will be for the park but for exploring tokyo as well and, if I'm not too exhausted, possibly a trip to the hong kong park.)

But, I saw on one of the posts here the halloween season starts.... sept 9th? And it is one of the bussiest times. But I also read that the park is always busy and wait times are usually an hour or more. So..

Is septemeber a bad time to go? If so, is the experience of going in october worthwhile?

How many days would we need to experience the resort ( at a leisurely pace.)?

I am willing to plan the trip far in advance, november, december even jaunary if the crowds would be less intense / the experience would be better.

Is there any advice you can give for a fellow who is clueless as to how to approach this?

Thanks for ignoring my spelling errors .. I am typing this on my phone.

Re: Any advice for a Disney novice?

Even though it is packed, it's probably the best time of the year to go. The Halloween decorations are just wonderful. There is also some fine entertainment around that time in TDS... *cough* don't miss mysterious masquerade *cough* I think about 3 - 5 days is probably ideal, but I've never been to the parks.

I'm assuming she knows the fastpass tricks and how to use it properly. If she does, you should be able to hit most of the E-Tickets if you keep getting fastpasses throughout the day. TDLFAN is probably the most knowledgeable on which FPs to get first, but if it was my vacation, this is how I'd do it.

1. Get to opening gates an hour early
    2. Run with the stampede to Monsters Inc & ride it instead of getting a fastpass.
    3. Head over to Pooh's Hunny Hunt and pick up a fastpass. If the line is still under 30 minutes, ride it.
    4. Ride another ride and pick up another fastpass for a ride. Your next would probably be Splash Mountain or Big Thunder Mountain, since they are in closest proximity.
    5. Just keep playing the FP game, but take time to slow down and enjoy the parks beauty & entertainment.

Hope this helps!
    Follow me on --> Twitter (@soda)

Comment

There is no bad time to go.

You MUST take advantage of the FastPass system. In Tokyo, it works like a charm and is even more effective than in the US. The FP line either does not merge with the regular line or merges only right near the end. So it is truly a 'front-of-the-line' pass. Get one every two hours.

In DL, I think Pooh's Hunny Hunt is worth doing twice. Maybe the best ride in all of Disney. Monsters Inc is no different than the version in LA, which is always walk-on, for a good reason.

At Disney Sea, ask for front row on Journey to the Center of the Earth. It makes a difference! Also this ride is worth doing twice, at least once at night. Especially mysterious at night.

Also at Disney Sea, Aquatopia uses the same technology as Pooh's Hunny Hunt. This ride is silly fun, and I think its worth doing twice (I think there are three different ride patterns to experience). No FP unfortunately.

Have a great time!

Comment

Originally posted by shelemm View Post
        In DL, I think Pooh's Hunny Hunt is worth doing twice. Maybe the best ride in all of Disney. Monsters Inc is no different than the version in LA, which is always walk-on, for a good reason.
        Shelemn.. you have posted this bit on the Monsters Inc before but I am sorry.. you are incorrect on this. I have been on both the DCA and TDL versions of Monsters Inc rides and they are NOT the same. While they may follow a similar storyline.. both rides are totally different in execution. The DCA version is a cheaper ride, with some ok effects and AAs that are not too complicated in design. At TDL, the ride is interactive, and guests are encourage to participate in prop shooting (similar to Astroblasters) and the sets and AAs are more elaborate and classic in design, versus the cheaper ones at DCA. Plus at DCA, the ride may be a walk on most times (even if I waited about 10 minutes to ride it) and there is no Fastpass service there. But at TDL, the Fastpasses for Monsters' ride run out by 11am, and the stand by wait is on average is between 60 and 90 minutes throughout the day, reason why currently, the first thing you must do when you enter TDL park is to either run to Monsters Inc to ride stand by right away OR go to the fastpass line and get this FP asap. Pooh's Hunny Hunt FP's will still be available when the time window opens again to get the next fastpass, so get Hunny Hunt's FP 2nd and ASAP after that.

__________________________________________________ __________________________

That said.. The ONLY advise I can give the novice poster here (as well as any savy Disney fanatic going to TDR for the first time is this:

-Be there as early as possible on the day of your visit. It is recommended you arrive at the park about one hour before opening time...as being there early will give you a head start on getting Fastpasses and do some of the rides within the first 2 hours with minimal wait. At TDL.. what you have to do as soon as you get in the park is: get the FP for Monsters ride FP, and after that, you head over to Fantasyland, and ride all 3 of the C-tickets and Haunted mansion.. the wait will be nonexistant... 10 mins at the most for each. On the way back to Monsters, make sure you stop at the Hunny Hunt Fastpass distribution area if your FP window has opened again.
        BTW...The early arrival suggestion applies to both TDL and TDS.

-AVOID visiting the parks on weekends and especially on national holidays.

-DO take time to enjoy the many live entertainment options the resort as a whole have to offer. Live entertainment, such as parades, stage shows and at TDS, the lagoon shows as well, are this resort's forte. If you visit during a special event, such as Halloween or Christmas.. it is highly recommended you see their special event shows and parades. The good folks at TDR go all out in presenting special (but limited time only) shows/parades to enhance the special events and make them extra special. Don't concentrate just on rides, or you will miss the experience that is the Tokyo Disney Resort as a whole.

-Finally... since you have only been to Disneyland Paris (ex-EuroDisney), my suggestion would be to educate yourself on what the Fastpass service is and how to use it to your advantage so you don't experience terribly long stand by waits at the most popular attractions. Or else, risk wasting a lot of valuable time and getting disappointed if you don't accomplish much or have to deal with crowds, which is yet another daily occurance at TDR it seems at times. Also, learn about the show lottery system for shows presented with reserved seating at Cinderella Castle's forecourt stage... that way if you loose getting a seat, it does not come as a surprise, and you can avoid disappointment and plan accordingly if you want to see a show at the castle stage. Other shows, like "One Man's Dream 2" may also have priority seating...SO, get the english entertainment programme from the ticket window out front when you arrive at the park, and educate yourself on these services while waiting in line to enter the park, so you can take advantage and maximize your visit to the parks.

That's just about the most important suggestions I can offer you and anyone going there for the first time.. even for the hardcore park fans, those suggestions are "must do". The Tokyo Disney parks are very unique in the way they are operated. the way to properly enjoy them differ greatly from what many hardcore Disney parks are used to doing in the USA resorts.

Good luck and have a great time at TDR.
        Last edited by TDLFAN; 08-15-2010, 12:27 AM.

Comment

TDLFAN is correct regarding Monsters Inc. It is a more elaborate and enhanced version of DCA's "D-ticket" version. I just returned from the resort from an almost week long stay, and Monsters Inc was the most popular attraction at Tokyo Disneyland for every day of my visit. Fastpasses routinely run out an hour and a half to two hours after opening. Standby lines are regularly the longest out of any attraction, usually averaging around 150-180 minutes on semi-crowded days. I've seen waits as long as 240 minutes on holidays. I would recommend getting a Fastpass for this attraction first, as all other attractions will still have their Fastpasses available even after noon has passed. I actually much prefer Pooh's Hunny Hunt and Splash Mountain over Monsters Inc, but both of those attractions have much easier to get Fastpasses which do not require you to run to the attraction at opening to snag them.

At Tokyo DisneySea, Fastpasses usually run out fastest for Tower of Terror and Journey to the Center of the Earth. Standby lines are usually longer at Journey to the Center of the Earth and Indiana Jones Adventure than Tower of Terror though (I'm guessing because it lies off the main route which leads to the most popular attractions).

Regarding the recommended length of stay, I usually dedicate 4 full days to the resort. That is enough to comfortably see most of both parks and even a bit of exploring the other bits of the resort. Of course, you won't see all the details, but it is good for a first trip. I also wouldn't recommend a trip to Hong Kong Disneyland unless you are planning to visit the city as a primary priority- the park is simply much too small right now (only it's a small word, Jungle Cruise and Space Mountain as major attractions and not many minor attractions either) and not worth an exclusive visit.
          Last edited by TDR_Fan; 08-15-2010, 12:49 AM.
          ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

Comment

Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
            guests are encourage to participate in prop shooting
            I'm not sure exactly what you mean by 'encourage.' Pointing your flashlight at the Monsters doesn't do anything, does it? People were coming off Monsters, Inc so disappointed that they even tried a design fix not long after opening because they promoted this ride like some kind of newfangled interactive ride (it's not), like Buzz or Toy Story Mania. Sure, they are getting long lines because it is new and people think it's going to be something special.

Anyway, if it's easy to go on, then by all means go..... but I don't think it's worth it PLUS I'd rather save time for doing Pooh twice - it's that much fun.

Roger Rabbit is a flat out a better ride then the new Monster, Inc but the ride is a bit hidden away in Toontownand so it doesn't get much attention. At least the queue for RR is interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by iLLbeFrank View Post
              With the exception of a holiday to Euro Disney when I was 12, I've never been to a disney park. Shocking. I know.

My wife, however, has been to the california and florida parks more times that I care to count. She is a true disney fan.

She has just received her pilots licence and when I asked her what she wanted to do to celebrate she half jokingly said " I'm going to disneyland! ......Tokyo."

And so, as a celebratory gift / birthday surprise, I'm going to take her.

I've been reading the posts here for a while and I fear I may have gotten in over my head.

It is apparent that tokyo disney is nothing like euro disney..

So, I need some help here.
              My wife and I have different attitudes toward holidays. I am very " let's sleep in late and leisurely explore.." while she is more of a " let's wake up at the crack of dawn and cram every single experience into our day until we crash from exhaustion."

I hate crowds, she is uneffected by them.
              I worry over details, she is carefree.

But I am willing to endure a few days of stress for her.

My plan was to take her the second week of septemeber until the beginning of october. ( not all of that time will be for the park but for exploring tokyo as well and, if I'm not too exhausted, possibly a trip to the hong kong park.)

But, I saw on one of the posts here the halloween season starts.... sept 9th? And it is one of the bussiest times. But I also read that the park is always busy and wait times are usually an hour or more. So..

Is septemeber a bad time to go? If so, is the experience of going in october worthwhile?

I am willing to plan the trip far in advance, november, december even jaunary if the crowds would be less intense / the experience would be better.

Is there any advice you can give for a fellow who is clueless as to how to approach this?

Thanks for ignoring my spelling errors .. I am typing this on my phone.
              Last edited by TimmyTimmyTimmy; 08-15-2010, 07:50 AM.

Comment

As for when you should go:
                * I recommend 5 days (2 days per park and an extra day to explore Ikspiari/Tokyo).
                * Weekdays (as mentioned in other people`s posts)
                * Sept. thru to December because Halloween and Xmas Season are highly recommended.
                * Check the TDR website for event schedules and park facility closures.

Tokyo Disney Resort: Temporary Closure of Park Facilities

Tokyo Disney Resort: Park Operation Calendar

Comment

As for my own personal 1 day strategy:

* Check what facilities are closed and what events are on.
                  * Buy tickets (passports) in advance.
                  * Line up extra early (at least 2 hours before the park opens) and plan my day around the parades/shows (since they are fixed/limited)
                  * Join the rush and grab the most popular fast pass (TDL: Monsters Inc TDS: ToT) and then meet up with members of my group at another popular attraction (TDL: 1) If someone wants to take a photo with Mickey, then it`s Mickey`s house 2) Pooh 3) Peter Pan TDS: 1) Special Duffy meet and greet 2) JTTCOTE)

* Have a slighty early lunch/dinner to avoid the crowds and wasting time lining up (Unless I have reserved a table at a restaurant)
                  * Other things I do in the afternoon when it`s crowded:
                  TDL: Explore Tom Sawyer`s Island and /or go check out the shops to avoid the last minute rush.

TDS: Have a cocktail at Magellan`s and /or go check out the shops to avoid the last minute rush.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  In general: I never line up for a ride if the wait time is more than 30 minutes (for shows it`s usually 45 minutes).

Overall: I am able to go on all of the FP rides at least once and see all of the shows and parades at least once too.

I recommend 2 days per park since no matter how busy it is, you should be able to experience everything at least once (if planned properly) and have time to soak in the atmosphere.

Comment

Originally posted by shelemm View Post
                    I'm not sure exactly what you mean by 'encourage.' Pointing your flashlight at the Monsters doesn't do anything, does it? People were coming off Monsters, Inc so disappointed that they even tried a design fix not long after opening because they promoted this ride like some kind of newfangled interactive ride (it's not), like Buzz or Toy Story Mania. Sure, they are getting long lines because it is new and people think it's going to be something special.
                    Obviously you missed the targets because when I point to the props, they set off in motion, so saying nothing happens is again, wrong info on your part. In fact, the fix they not only added more animation to the props but also made them easier to identify, which was the reason why most people missed them in the first place. And yes.. when I say "encourage" is because you really do not have to shoot at anything if you don't want to, like I did the first time I rode. I sat and watched the show. But shooting away is definitely more fun.

Anyway, if it's easy to go on, then by all means go..... but I don't think it's worth it PLUS I'd rather save time for doing Pooh twice - it's that much fun
                    I don't understand what you mean "easy to go on". ALL rides are easy to go on.. just set foot in queue and wait. Unless guests need to have a special skill to stand in this line.. besides a FP, I have no idea what you mean. Whether it's worth it or not to ride, that's personal opinion. I respect you don't care for the ride, but my problem with your post is that you are saying the ride is the same as DCA's and it's NOT.

Roger Rabbit is a flat out a better ride then the new Monster, Inc but the ride is a bit hidden away in Toontownand so it doesn't get much attention. At least the queue for RR is interesting.
                    There are a lot of things at TDL that are better than Monsters Ride and go Seek, but that is up to the individual guests to choose to ride or not, but since it is not the 2nd coming of Imagineering, it is reason why I am recommending to get a FP for it, so you don't waste valuable time in stand by lines.. which I suspect is what happened to you and reason why you are so put off by it. And BTW.. the RR ride is a solid C-ticket in my opinion but I honestly do not care for the dark and somewhat shady-themed in the queue... as ornated as it is. So to each his own.

Comment

I know everybody has different ways of rating the attractions, but I've always thought of Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin to be an E-ticket. It has a cohesive and whimsical storyline, a very detailed queue, a fun and interactive ride system, and colorful and nicely decorated sets. There aren't that many effects and the technology is not that advanced, but it is a very fun ride overall. It is a step above the dark rides in Fantasyland (including the newer ones like Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh).

Comment

Lots of dodgy advice in this thread so far.

1. Get to the gate 45 minutes before the park opens at Tokyo Disneyland. For DisneySea arrive 30 minutes before park opening.

2. In Tokyo Disneyland, run as fast as you can to Monster's Inc.: it's the most popular ride in the park. Do NOT get stuck in the sea of people waiting for a FastPass: go around it. Ride the ride.

3. As soon as you exit, walk briskly to Pooh's Hunny Hunt and get a FastPass.

4. Walk briskly to Splash Mountain and ride it.

5. When you exit Splash Mountain, if your one-hour FastPass return time has started, immediately go to either Big Thunder Mountain or Splash Mountain and get another FastPass.

DO NOT USE ANY of your FastPasses now. Collect a new one at the start of your return window. You will eventually have three or four, which you will use later in the day at the busiest times.

6. Hit Haunted Mansion (you might need to get a FastPass for this as the line can get quite long and I would do this over Space Mountain anyday).

7. Hit Pirates of the Caribbean.

I would suggest getting on line to have lunch at the Queen of Hearts Banquet Hall by 11 am or 11:30 the LATEST. Or do Blue Bayou if you can figure out how to make a reservation. Failing that, you can get in line outside the restaurant at either 10:30 (if they open at 11) or 11 (if they open at 11:30) and do a walk in.

After lunch it's time to hit the attractions that have smaller lines: Jungle Cruise, Western River Railroad (don't pass it by!), Country Bear Jamboree (I think you'll see the Vacation Jamboree in September), Tiki Room with Stitch (awful, but it's a cool place to sit and show is only 8 minutes), Swiss Family Treehouse, and of course the Mark Twain.

I haven't mentioned most of the Fantasyland attractions other than Pooh and Mansion. These often have quite long lines and in my opinion are not worth the wait: Snow White's Scary Adventures, Pinocchio, Teacups, Dumbo, Peter Pan. No FastPasses for any of them. Also, notably, the duration of these particular dark rides is much shorter than at the US Disney parks because the ride vehicles zip through them. The rides are not identical, and often the scenes are in a different order or some of the effects are different, but unless you're a real obssesive nut (some of us are ), you can skip these without feeling like you've missed a lot.

Toontown: Great Mickey Pizza and fries at Huey, Dewey, and Looey's Good Time Cafe. Tokyo's Toontown is by far the most vibrant. Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin (like Buzz Lighter, not mentioned above) is an exact dupe of the ride at Disneyland so if there's a long line, no need to waste time. Buzz always has a huge line.

Do not waste your time on the show One Man's Dream II in Tokyo Disneyland--tepid stuff and all lip-synched.

For Tokyo DisneySea, adopt a similar strategy but substitute the rides in this park.

1. First on your list should be either Tower of Terror or Journey to the Center of the Earth: Ride the first and FastPass the second.

2. When you are still in Mysterious Island, ride 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.

3. Then get your butt over to Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Crystal Skull and ride it if you can't get a FastPass yet. Otherwise get the FastPass and keep going.

4. Stormrider (a mixture of Soarin and Star Tours);

5. The Magic Lamp Theater (a terrific combination of live comedy magic show and 3D movie); Aquatopia, try the lottery to get seats for Big Band Beat and/or the Mysterious Masquerade Halloween show. Etc.

DisneySea's lines get shorter at night and you may find you can hit a bunch of rides later on.

Make sure to watch Legend of Mythica. BraviSEAmo (the evening show) is a cosmic-****** between abstract figures of fire and water--Eurotrash strangeness.

If you like a rough roller coaster that goes upside down, you can do Raging Spirits at some point: an off the shelf coaster. Don't care for it myself.

Make sure you do the Sindbad ride at DisneySea, for which there is never a line. A cross between Pirates of the Caribbean and Small World. Superb.

As far as eating, lots of good restaurants in DisneySea. I like the Nautilus Galley downstairs in Mysterious Island. Never a line and sitting next to the Nautilus while eating Gyoza (or Turkey Leg) and drinking beer can't be beat. Also, some good Italian restaurants (Ristorante di Canoletto--surely I've made hash of the spelling!), and a middle Eastern restaurant in Arabian Coast (also Chinese food at Vulcania in Mysterious Island).

You need two days at EACH park.

Best Disney Resort in the world: try to have a good time without killing yourselves.
                        Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

Comment

Forgot to add: Halloween during late September/early October is far from the busiest time of the year at the parks. If you follow good park-going habits you will do fine. Whatever you do, do NOT sleep late or it's hopeless. Get your keister out of bed and be on line before opening as noted. And the best advice of all: NEVER EVER go to the parks on weekends or holidays!
                          Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

Comment

Fukai has hit most of the attraction recommendations spot on. At DisneySea in particular, do not miss 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. It usually sits in the shadow of Journey to the Center of the Earth, but it itself is a elaborate dark ride- just without the thrills. The queue is mysterious and incredibly detailed, the musical score is lush and majestic, and the sets are equally beautiful and well designed. The special effects are convincing and the amazing attention to detail is just a treat for any Disney fan. It is a true E-ticket experience that is topped off by having a deep backstory to go with the engaging and adventurous storyline. It is one of the best Disney attractions on my list along with Journey to the Center of the Earth.

Comment

September and October are about the same. Halloween time is spectacular, but as you know it will be very crowded. Is it bad or worthwhile? Depends if you want to experience Halloween or have a less crowded experience.

In September/October I would say 5-6 days at a leisurely pace. If you follow the prescribed plans suggested above, 4 days is sufficient. I just wouldn't call it leisurely.

I like April and November. When you read my next response you will understand why.

As indicated by all the various opinions shared, there are many different ways to approach a visit to TDR.

I for one, have rarely visited the park and felt the desire to run and have every single move planned out step by step. The one time I was in the company of someone who had the entire day scheduled out from start to finish like some have described above, was the time I got to do the most amount of attractions and shows in one day. However, to this day, it was one of my least enjoyable days I have experienced at TDR. The pressure to stay on schedule and on track, the need for all in the party to do their assigned duties (ie, split up and conquer, save places, scout ahead, etc) made it very unenjoyable and cancelled out most of the enjoyment. There was no time to just relax and enjoy.

Although Halloween time is a very special time at TDR, I would suggest to first timers to go another time. You still would want to get to the parks early as possible to enjoy as much time in the parks as possible, but you won't have to go through all the extreem and stressful measures just to be able to ride the "must see" attractions and shows.

Getting there early is always a good idea if you want to ensure you get on one or two "must see" attractions first thing after opening. But continuing the rushing and FastPass plan throughout the day is not necessary.

As long as you aren't there on the weekends, standby lines will not be as long as during peak seasons so enduring a few could be more acceptable versus having a strict and stressful plan that starts an hour or so before park opening and continues throughout the day.

Some may say this approach is just wrong, but since it has worked for me for many years and I don't ever feel deprived or like I missed out, I thought I'd at least share a different approach from the strict and regimented ones that many others follow.

Fukai's opinions on the TDR attractions are all about the same as mine except I don't recommend 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. I feel the effects are weak, especially the double paned windows with the water and bubbles sandwich inbetween simulating being underwater. The dry show scenes don't do it for me either. For me they are not convincing at all. Using the steerable flashlight makes the scenes look even worse IMO.
                              Since others think the attraction is wort seeing, I guess you'll just have to ride it and form your own opinion!

I also would suggest Mermaid Lagoon Theater along with Magic Lamp Theater, but if you are pressed for time, forget about the Magic Lamp Theater show.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X