• Show
Clear All
  • TravisMT81
    Surfin the net with Duffy
    • Jul 2007

News TDS: Christmas Wishes

Pictures up on Deep Disney....also a video that has a bad angle :=/

:love:Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011:love:
    We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.
    Craig Russell -Walt Disney Imagineering
  • DreamSweetsLove
    Loves Mickey!
    • Oct 2006

Re: TDS: Christmas Wishes

Here is a video of the ending of Christmas Wishes. It is a very good show!! I will upload video of the rest of the show tomorrow.
    Please follow me @dreamsweetslove on twitter!
    https://twitter.com/#!/DreamSweetsLove

Comment

• DFL86
      MiceChatter
      • Jan 2008

I am going to hold off watching the show until other videos come along But in the mean time I have to ask... Is the show mostly in English? At least music wise? I know Mysterious Masquerade was all in English except for the character voices...

Comment

• DreamSweetsLove
        Loves Mickey!
        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by horizon View Post
        I am going to hold off watching the show until other videos come along But in the mean time I have to ask... Is the show mostly in English? At least music wise? I know Mysterious Masquerade was all in English except for the character voices...
        The characters talk in Japanese and the music is in English just like Mysterious Masquerade. It's a beautiful show with lot's of dancers, gorgeous costumes and has the feeling of the castle shows they used to do at TDL. The Christmas entertainment line up at TDS this year is really fantastic!
        Please follow me @dreamsweetslove on twitter!
        https://twitter.com/#!/DreamSweetsLove

Comment

• DuffyDaisuki

• Feb 2009

We've been so negative about Christmas this year; your post is like someone opened a window to let in some fresh air and sunshine to brighten the "Bah, humbug!" Scrooginess of late. THANK YOU!!!

Comment

• TDLFAN
            Banned User
            • Feb 2005

Thank you DuffyDad. Again, I am stuck with a very repetitive and old minimal Xmas event at WDW.. so even when TDR lacks, it is still much better than what the tourists get in FL. Even with 4 parks, WDW still offer less than what we get in the 2 TDR parks.

Comment

• TravisMT81
              • Jul 2007

Originally posted by DuffyDad View Post
              We've been so negative about Christmas this year; your post is like someone opened a window to let in some fresh air and sunshine to brighten the "Bah, humbug!" Scrooginess of late. THANK YOU!!!
              Amen, this show is so refreshing!!! Someone fan me!!!

We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.

Comment

• TDLFAN
                Banned User
                • Feb 2005

Can someone please post a video of the $60 per person MK party castle show side by side with TDS' Xmas Wishes show, which guests can enjoy during regular park hours and at regular admission price?
                Someone, please, amuse me.

Comment

• TravisMT81
                  • Jul 2007

Oh honey, I will say this! I do enjoy Celebrate the Season stage show. It actually has more than 8 dancers. It is probably the best stage show they put on the whole since they took away "Mickey's Twas a Night before a Christmas". It is the closest to thing to TDR we will ever get since Miss Julie Andrews strutted herself down Main Street in 1971!!! :P

Comment

• Ice101
                    Banned User
                    • Aug 2008

I definitely wasn't so harsh of TDL this year with their event. I found the changes to White Holiday Parade to be tasteful and the decorations to be well done.

Saying that, Christmas Wish is a bit of a disappointment. The music really didn't fill up my TDR music thirst, I think the tune is great but there seems to be too many lyrics per a beat. The Christmas sprites didn't do anything for me. Where the show suffered the most was the stage seemed quite empty at times. The show didn't build on itself like Masquerade where each scene kept the performers on stage so there were several performers on stage. Christmas Wishes just had about 10 perfomers per a section that would rotate out each time plus the sprites. Even the finale consisted of just 12 unique performers all wearing the same outfits, the dozen or so sprites, and then the characters. The music is also a bit of a dud, but I'm sure it will grow on me. This is just....okay. I am certainly appreciative of TDS producing this new show, but it wasn't quite what I expected.

On some good notes, I really like the finale costumes, a lot. I also thought that the finale music and show itself was well done.

Comment

• TDLFAN
                      Banned User
                      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by TravisMT81 View Post
                      Oh honey, I will say this! I do enjoy Celebrate the Season stage show. It actually has more than 8 dancers. It is probably the best stage show they put on the whole since they took away "Mickey's Twas a Night before a Christmas". It is the closest to thing to TDR we will ever get since Miss Julie Andrews strutted herself down Main Street in 1971!!! :P
                      You obviously never saw the MK's "Sparkling Christmas Spectacular" or the "4th of July Spectacular" castle stage shows of the late 80s... did you?
                      Sad part is there is no video anywhere of these shows.. but you can dig. I am here to tell you that these were the old grand MK shows that OLC emulated at TDL in the early days of the park and through mosf of TDL's history, until WDC started meddling in their affairs.
                      Read this old articles.. even mentions Twas the Night as well... and we are talking circa 1984.. I think you were like 3 yrs old?

Palm Beach Daily News - Google News Archive Search

EDIT!!! I have some some old video of the 4th of july spectacular show that ran for a few years during early july at the MK castle stage.. and keep in mind, the number here is NOT the ending of the show. It used to feature a tall Statue of Liberty rising from the back of the stage with flags and all.. but this is a small sample of the type of shows the MK used to do... where there were more than just 8 dancers...
                      Step into the time capsule and relive the magic of the 1980s with two iconic Walt Disney World live-stage shows! Join us as we journey back to the patriotic ...

And here is one for you Travis...

Last edited by TDLFAN; 11-14-2010, 10:33 PM.

Comment

• DFL86
                        MiceChatter
                        • Jan 2008

Watched the video and I really enjoyed the show! Love the music as well! Maaybe not as good as Mysterious Masquerade but still a great show!

Comment

• DuffyDaisuki

• Feb 2009

Originally posted by ICe101 View Post
                          ...The music really didn't fill up my TDR music thirst, I think the tune is great but there seems to be too many lyrics per a beat. The Christmas sprites didn't do anything for me. Where the show suffered the most was the stage seemed quite empty at times. The show didn't build on itself like Masquerade where each scene kept the performers on stage so there were several performers on stage. Christmas Wishes just had about 10 perfomers per a section that would rotate out each time plus the sprites. Even the finale consisted of just 12 unique performers all wearing the same outfits, the dozen or so sprites, and then the characters...

On some good notes, I really like the finale costumes, a lot. I also thought that the finale music and show itself was well done.
                          I :love:d the finale costumes, too. Is there merch for sale in those?

I wasn't as into all of the music, but I didn't really expect to be. I loved the first and second songs! Disney doing hip-hop pretty much never works for me - I loved the snowmen, tuned out the music. I never expected to compare this to Mysterious Masquerade, as I think that's destined to be the best Disney show ever...for me. I love it as much as Mythica. Also, I really miss Candlelight Reflections. I can't believe I was there last year and didn't go to the Finale. Serves me right for not insisting.

I like Christmas Wishes. The costumes are great and the dancing is impressive. It's more like 20 people on stage, I think; not 12. I think the set is what makes it feel empty, but I also imagine this is less true in person. Nighttime is MUCH more impressive than daytime, though, with the lights and all. It's charming, but doesn't really move me like Candlelight Reflections or wow me like Mysterious Masquerade. It also requires a higher level of Japanese ability to be engaged in what's happening than those shows, and as ICe101 mentioned, feels more disjointed - a series of "scenes," rather than a continuous flowing story. Still, it's definitely not cheap. Seeing this video has made me more excited about going to TDS, and that's good enough for me!

Comment

• ArthurIhde
                            MiceChatter
                            • Sep 2010

i have watched the video,thanks
                            I am traveling now.

Comment

• TravisMT81
                              • Jul 2007

Oh wow thanks for posting TDLFAN, I wish I had been able to see that! Please note everyone the amount of dancers in the 4th of July Show!!

forgot to quote TDLFAN, my response was in regards to his posting about MK shows.

Comment

• TravisMT81
                                • Jul 2007

Originally posted by DuffyDad View Post
                                I :love:d the finale costumes, too.!
                                Me too!!!

I also love at the end all the "boys" give the "girls" gifts at the end, very kawaii!!

Comment

• TDLFAN
                                  Banned User
                                  • Feb 2005

I don't see why everyone raves so much about Mysterious Masquerade. No one liked the show last year and people complained about it just ike you all are in regards to the new xmas show. Personally, I don't care much for Mysterious and I am sure I will enjoy the Xmas version more when I see it.

Comment

• TravisMT81
                                    • Jul 2007

I think it has to do with the over the top costumes, and I did enjoy some of the music, of MM. But I am more of a Christmas person in general.

Comment

• DuffyDaisuki

• Feb 2009

Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
                                      ...No one liked the show last year and people complained about it just ike you all are in regards to the new xmas show...
                                      Sorry, but I don't remember that at all. Everyone I know who has seen Mysterious Masquerade has been very impressed and thought it was a top-notch production. It has been an extraordinarily popular show with Guests.

Comment

• jedimaster7313
                                        You have much to learn...
                                        • Jun 2006

I did really enjoy Christmas Wishes. I saw it 3 times in my last 2 days. The only thing that was disappointing to me was that since I saw it on the first day- I was there with what seemed like all of Japan, who were there to see it as well.

The show itself wasn't as grand as shows of the past, but I loved the music & simple elegance of the show. The only bit part I wasn't too crazy was the sort of hip-hop section of the show with Chip & Dale- but I thought the rest of the show was very graceful and beautiful. Even if there were a smaller cast- you really don't need a big cast to put on a great show.

I started out the day trying for the lottery, which I had to keep hurrying to try to get to the end of the line, which- by the time we entered the park- started roughly 1/2 way between the Aquasphere and the the underpass leading into the park. The line snaked around the front area of the park, past all the shops, over the bridge towards McDucks, down towards the Broadway theater, looped back again, ove the bridge and into the small que area in front of the lottery area. By the time we were there- the end of the line was up towards the Ponte Vecchio area of the park.

We did actually win tickets to the 6:30 show- but were bummed out when we left and discovered that they were standing room tickets in the back. I don't recall if they have done this before, but the back area is now standing room with numbers on the floor- I think it was like 8 or 10 rows. It would have been fine to be in row 1 or 2, but we had row 5 & it seemed like all of the tallest people in Japan had scored front row tickets with really large cameras- So, all in all- it was a little better than watching the show from outside, but I was still dodging heads trying to see it.

We didn't win tickets at all on my next and last day, but just watched from the back in front of the restaurant. They must have been filming & professsionally photographing that day since they had the really big guns cameras set up along the back- with the ultra zoom lenses.

I really wish I could have gotten seats to the show- it would have been nice to see it at least once without having to dodge heads and large cameras- but I loved it.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X