• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Malin
    MiceChatter
    • Jan 2005

News Tokyo Disney Resort Anticipated to Reopen on April 1

We've heard that OLC are targeting a reopening of all facilities including Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea on April 1. OLC is currently assessing the likely operating hours that will be impacted by water and gas availability in Chiba prefecture and the continuing rolling blackouts in electricity transmission.

Source LaughingPlace
    Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/malin1804

• JoeInJpn
    • Jul 2006

Re: Tokyo Disney Resort Anticipated to Reopen on April 1

The official Japanese website says that any re-opening announcement will be made five days (by 8pm) before the day the gates open. So if the April 1st date is true, we should expect an announcement this Friday or Saturday.
    JoeInJpn
    Contact me at contact(at)jtcent(dot)com!
    For the latest TDR News, read JTCEnt.com's TDR Nempa Blog!
    Watch TDR Videos and Photos on Joe's Tokyo Disney Resort Photo Site!

Comment

• ZeekSlider
      EPCOT Citizen
      • Dec 2006

Hopefully this will quell the rumors that I've seen about Tokyo Disneyland being closed perminently.
      WARNING: Any opinions expressed by this user are wrong.

Comment

• toonaspie
        Nutty about Disney parks
        • Aug 2006

That's earlier than I expected. I bet the lines will be pretty big on reopening day.

Comment

• GothicManor
          Welcome Foolish Mortals
          • Sep 2006

I dont know where this info came from I just dont see it at all. The situation in Tokyo is deteriorating NOT improving.

Heres a few reasons.

1. The reactors are still in a state of meltdown and the problem could become much worse at any time.
          2. Any southern winds will blow radiation onto the parks.
          3. There is now unsafe radiation levels in the water in Tokyo so imagine all the drinking fountains and fountains contaminated.
          4. Food in the area is contaminated including all the seafood and what is the primary source of food there? seafood.
          5. There still isnt enough power to run the parks
          6. All the tourists have left and none are planning to return all countries still officially recommend no travel to japan.
          7. Japan is currently on voluntary evacuation status with u.s.
          8. None of the japanese are going to want to go to a Disney park when so many family members, friends and countrymen have died and thousands of corpses are unburied not to mention all the ones floating around in the sea.
          9. the country is in a state of shock.

you get the point the list goes on and on and on......

even if they could reopen it would be the height of insensitivity for Disney to reopen the parks anytime soon.

You would have to wait for at least the following to happen to even consider it:

1. Reactors completely under control and contained, could take months.

2. Radiation levels in air and water to go down to near normal, could take months or even years.

3. The dead to be found and buried, again months.

4. The power to be restored. keep in mind that at least 2 nuke plants are lost.

5. Safe fresh food to be readily available.

6. Reopening of the country to outside travelers

7. Adequate grieving period to pass, many months.....

The parks will probably eventually reopen someday, assuming the nuke plant doesnt go Chernobyl which it could at any moment now. But I dont see it till say July at the earliest.

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

sigpic

"Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved."

Comment

• Roger55
            Just another Disney fan..
            • Jan 2005

Originally posted by GothicManor View Post
            I dont know where this info came from I just dont see it at all. The situation in Tokyo is deteriorating NOT improving.

Heres a few reasons.

1. The reactors are still in a state of meltdown and the problem could become much worse at any time.
            3. There is now unsafe radiation levels in the water in Tokyo so imagine all the drinking fountains and fountains contaminated.
            4. Food in the area is contaminated including all the seafood and what is the primary source of food there? seafood.
            6. All the tourists have left and none are planning to return all countries still officially recommend no travel to japan.
            8. None of the japanese are going to want to go to a Disney park when so many family members, friends and countrymen have died and thousands of corpses are unburied not to mention all the ones floating around in the sea.

you get the point the list goes on and on and on......

even if they could reopen it would be the height of insensitivity for Disney to reopen the parks anytime soon.

You would have to wait for at least the following to happen to even consider it:

2. Radiation levels in air and water to go down to near normal, could take months or even years.

The parks will probably eventually reopen someday, assuming the nuke plant doesnt go Chernobyl which it could at any moment now. But I dont see it till say July at the earliest.
            I've looked all over and I am unable to find any definative information that backs up 100% all the information regarding the situation in Japan, and the conditions and requirements for re-opening the parks you are claiming in your post. Especially the part about "You would have to wait for at least the following to happen to even consider it...".

Please share with us your source of this information.

If you are mearly sharing your own personal opinion, I think it would be responsible to indicate that is the case.

Comment

• GothicManor
              Welcome Foolish Mortals
              • Sep 2006

Oh i get it now April 1st April fools day well the jokes on you this is in very poor taste and should be removed from this forum.

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

sigpic

"Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved."

Comment

• Roger55
                • Jan 2005

Let me address your comments specifically...

Are they? No information indicates they are melting down. Is the situation under control? No, but overstating that they are in meltdown is irresponsible.

Any southern wind will bring radiation? What if the radiation levels are so low at the time of the winds such that they can't reach the Tokyo area?

The current warning is that the radition in some tap water in Tokyo is unsafe for INFANTS. Please state your information accurately.

Food in the area is showing low levels of radition. The SEAWATER near the plant is showing some levels of radiation. The entire oceans of the world, where Japan's seafood comes from, is not ALL radioactive.

While there continue to be power shortages throughout the Kanto and Tohoku regions, where has it been said there isn't enough to specifically power the parks? I have not seen any official or specific information on this topic so I take it you are speculating.

All tourist have left Japan? Really? No one is planning to return? I guess I'm not going in a few weeks from now.

Ahhh. One that is actually true.

None? Really?

This I can agree upon is probably the case, but to what degree I am in no position to speculate.

This hasn't been stated as a condition by OLC. I assume you are speculating.

I also don't know where you get the "months or even years" information. I assume you are guessing.

The power issue does have to be addressed. I'm pretty sure OLC is taking this into consideration.

The food issue does have to be addressed. I'm pretty sure OLC is taking this into consideration.

IT ISN'T CLOSED.

Speaking for a foriegn country's people and speculating how much greiving time is "adequate" is so speculative and isn't even worth addressing.

Comment

• GothicManor
                  Welcome Foolish Mortals
                  • Sep 2006

Why dont you try looking at the daily news for a few mins EVERYTHING i have stated is in the news,

examples:

yesterday on CNN and others: even tho some power restored the reactors are too damaged for it to make a difference, the pumps are destroyed and there is still meltdown possible heres' a direct quote from Japanese at the plant
                  "the situation is more serious than we thought".

In todays news yeah just go to cnn.com its on the front page: Unsafe radiation levels in Tokyo Tap water.

I dont need to provide links to each statement all YOU need to do is spend a few minutes trying to be informed.

sigpic

Comment

• Roger55
                    • Jan 2005

Why dont you try looking at the daily news for a few mins EVERYTHING i have stated is in the news,

examples:

yesterday on CNN and others: even tho some power restored the reactors are too damaged for it to make a difference, the pumps are destroyed and there is still meltdown possible heres' a direct quote from Japanese at the plant

In todays news yeah just go to cnn.com its on the front page: Unsafe radiation levels in Tokyo Tap water.

I dont need to provide links to each statement all YOU need to do is spend a few minutes trying to be informed.
                    I am following the news more closely that you are, and I actually READ the stories and don't just parrot the headlines. I do believe you spend "just a few minutes trying".

Understand what is being reported before trying to inaccurately re-post what you "believe" is being stated.

Comment

• vistaway
                      • Jul 2006

No offense, GothicManor, but your list is really more of a collection of hearsay and third-hand reports than fact, and calling another poster stupid doesn't really back up your position.

I get my news from my friend in Urayasu, who I trust. I will ask her what she thinks about the April 1 date, but it doesn't seem unreasonable to me.
                      http://www.wdwip.com: The Walt Disney World International Programs Website

Comment

• steve76
                        New MiceChatter
                        • Feb 2009

At the end of the day it is up to OLC to decide when and how to re-open the parks and hotels. They will be monitoring the situation with experts more knowledgeable than any of us, they know the country and they know their customer base. They will do what they think is right and I don't think it's fair for us to criticise what they may or may not decide.

It's easy to watch the TV coverage and come away with the impression that the whole country is in ruins. But the fact is that the majority of the country was unaffected, as were the majority of the people. Are they in shock, as a country? Probably. But they have the right to get back to normal, as soon as possible, if they want to. After all, it is not fair for us as outsiders to insist that they go on grieving as if it were day 2, or to criticise them if they didn't. It is not insensitive of them to want to go back to their jobs, or to want to go on vacation with their loved ones.

Are there issues that OLC need to be aware of and adapt to? Sure. They may need to consider their energy usage. That may be a reason not to open for a while, or to operate slightly differently. They need to fix the damage to the surrounding roads and sidewalk, which they've probably already done. At the moment contamination to tap water is well below dangerous levels for everyone except infants. Do they need to make sure that they have bottled water for infants? Yes. Do they need to review and update their contingency measures? I'd bet they're doing that as we speak. Some countries advise against travel to certain parts of Japan. Well, as I understand it (someone please correct be with the correct figures) 99% of guests at TDR are Japanese.

After all, when 9/11 happened in the States, did they close the parks for weeks? I don't believe so. People still went to the parks. What about Katrina? Absolute tragedies for the people involved and their loved ones, for sure, but the hard truth is that life does go on for other people. I don't begrudge them that.

Comment

• Fukai
                          Resident of the Caldera
                          • Jul 2008

I think the largest issue at the moment, unless the situation at the nuclear reactions worsens greatly, is that of power outages. You can't have a theme park that just shuts down completely for three hours twice a day.
                          Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

Comment

• DoctorQ9
                            Armchair Imagineer
                            • Mar 2005

One positive note -- people are talking about when Tokyo Disneyland will reopen and not if it will reopen!
                            sigpic

Comment

• SoCalbma
                              Love HD videos!
                              • Jun 2009

Did you guys realize the Universal Studios Japan is currently open since last week.

Anyway, it seems that Universal Studios Japan is about 7 hours away from Tokyo Disney.
                              My Brand New Youtube channel -"SoCal ATTRACTIONS 360"
                              http://www.youtube.com/SoCalAttractions360

Comment

• vistaway
                                • Jul 2006

Actually only 2.5 hours away on a Nozomi train!

Originally posted by asianbma View Post
                                Did you guys realize the Universal Studios Japan is currently open since last week.

Anyway, it seems that Universal Studios Japan is about 7 hours away from Tokyo Disney.
                                http://www.wdwip.com: The Walt Disney World International Programs Website

Comment

• ChrisFL
                                  MiceChatter
                                  • Jul 2007

examples:

There's your problem, you're relying on sensationalist U.S. media for your information.

It's much better to look at NHK for information, it's much more unbiased and they aren't competing for people to view them like other networks.
                                  My Blog: http://imagineeringmind.wordpress.com

Parks Visited: MK - EPCOT - DHS - DAK - DL - DCA - HKDL - TDL - TDS

Comment

• cr8zymike
                                    New MiceChatter
                                    • Mar 2011

I've been active reading posts but this is my first post so please be easy on me

We're booked at the Sheraton Tokyo Bay and I called them to inquire about hotel openings and canceling our reservation (since we booked non-refundable). The person I spoke to was very polite and understanding ... which made it more difficult for me to tell her that we're all pulling for them and that things would be ok. She said it most likely looks like April will be the month but she isn't sure and that we could cancel anytime up to 2 days before our arranged stay.

Just now I checked the Sheraton website and it seems to imply that Disney will be open April 1st.
                                    Sheraton Urayasu Hotels: Sheraton Grande Tokyo Bay Hotel - Hotel Rooms at sheraton

I'm pulling for japan and hope that things will be under control and everyone can get to rebuilding and going on with their lives.

Comment

• voleball
                                      • Jul 2010

examples:

I am a native Japanese and I read Japanese news websites and watch NHK news every day, multiple times a day. I have to say American media reports are overly dramatized and exaggerated (in a negative way). Most of things you listed have some truth to them, but they are just too extreme. Many parks in Tokyo area are already reopened with modified hours. Many threads in Japanese Disney related discussion boards are about waiting for the parks to reopen. It's great to know that you are concerned about Japan so you are checking the news but if you want to know the real, up to date information on Japan, NHK is the place to go.
                                      NHK WORLD English

Comment

• lazyboy97O
                                        враг народа
                                        • Mar 2005

Aside from the ridiculous nuclear hyperbole, the vast majority of visitors to the Tokyo Disney Resort are from Japan. Life has not come to a halt, people are moving forward and that included doing things like going to theme parks, which a part of the economy and ultimately do contribute to rebuilding and moving forward.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X