• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Resort Cruiser
    New MiceChatter
    • Apr 2011

[Other] Tokyo Disneyland Posts Dismal Attendance Numbers

Attendance for Tokyo Disneyland's reopening after the Great Tohoku Earthquake of March 11th has come in well below official expectations. On Friday April 15th, the park's reopening day and also its 28th anniversary, Oriental Land Company's estimate was that 45,000 guests would be in attendance. (Such estimates are normally given to certain cast members in order for them to adjust operations accordingly.) The actual attendance was between 16 and 17 thousand. On Saturday the 16th, park attendance was approximately 18,000. Sunday the 17th it was approximately 26,000, a string of improvement that was broken when less than 10,000 guests were in attendance on Monday the 18th. Oriental Land did not issue its customary morning estimates on the 16th, 17th, and 18th.

On the surface, these rather startling numbers would seem to bode poorly for Tokyo Disneyland and the timely opening of Tokyo DisneySea, but, when digging deeper into the situation, the opposite appears to be the case. Feedback from in-park guests and from potential visitors who've decided to delay their return to the Tokyo Disney Resort shows an almost universal disappointment in the fact that Tokyo Disneyland is operating under shortened hours (and without a discounted admission price as compensation for it) and that DisneySea has not reopened. This is a particularly strong sentiment among those delaying their return, who have stated almost invariably that they are waiting for the situaion at the resort to return to "normal," meaning both parks open and operating with standard hours. This sentiment is true of nearby-by guests, as well those who would travel from greater distances. Complicating matters, those who would come from further away have also voiced concerns of being "stranded" far from home by aftershocks that may damage the Shinkansen ("bullet train") system or airports.

Oriental Land Company has substantial dilemmas on its hands. The very same caution it's employing to reopen the parks in a respectful and financially prudent way is a primary reason Tokyo Disneyland's return has gotten off to a stunningly slow start. Guests are waiting for the full return of the resort. Even further compounding the problem is DisneySea's 10th Anniversary celebration. The photo spot at AquaSphere, the commemorative merchandise, and virtually everything else that had been created to commemorate the celebration was covered with representations of waves. Oriental Land is in the process of replacing all of it, delaying the reopening of DisneySea, and hence, the return to normalcy that guests are demanding.
    Last edited by Resort Cruiser; 04-20-2011, 07:20 AM.
  • mickeysimzac
    New MiceChatter
    • Apr 2010

Re: Tokyo Disneyland Posts Dismal Attendance Numbers

The attendance numbers don't surprise me at all. The situation in Japan is still very serious. It's just going to take a long period of time before life for the Japaneese people returns to normal. But I believe opening the park was the right thing to do.

Comment

• Himorogi
      MiceChatter
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by mickeysimzac View Post
      The attendance numbers don't surprise me at all. The situation in Japan is still very serious. It's just going to take a long period of time before life for the Japaneese people returns to normal. But I believe opening the park was the right thing to do.
      What he said.

Comment

• Roger55
        Just another Disney fan..
        • Jan 2005

If you wait until you can get the attendance numbers you want before opening... you won't be able to get the attendance numbers you want when you do open.

Comment

• Signor GC
          Curious Explorer
          • Jun 2010

Originally posted by Resort Cruiser View Post
          Even further compounding the problem is DisneySea's 10th Anniversary celebration. The photo spot at AquaSphere, the commiserative merchandise, and virtually everything else that had been created to commemorate the celebration was covered with representations of waves.
          ... gives me shivers... As how I've been concerned about this irony. DisneySea's theme of sea might harshly clashes with the tsunami.

This is a problem for the park's theming...
          sigpic
          Every great discovery begins with imagination.
          A courtesy to the S.E.A.
          "EXPLORATIO CONTINUA"

Comment

• aimster
            Waiting for my E-Ticket

• May 2005

Well if you want to visit TDL with minimal crowds, then this is the perfect time to go!

Comment

• DuffyDaisuki

• Feb 2009

raising ticket prices by around 7%!" She was kinda outraged, actually, but I didn't imagine so many Japanese Disney fans might feel the same way; my friend is not really a Disney fan. I'm actually a bit surprised at this reaction, although I am equally surprised that the price hike is going forward, too.

Originally posted by mickeysimzac View Post
              I concur.

Comment

• 1FoolishMortal
                • Apr 2006

While it's disappointing that attendance wasn't what they were expecting, I still think it's an overall good decision that they reopened the parks. Keeping the resort closed was doing nothing to stimulate the local economy, and putting thousands of people back into work can't be a bad thing, even if attendance is taking longer than expected to recover. Plus, having the parks open has to be a much smaller financial loss to OLC than keeping them closed.
                "Keep Moving Forward."

Comment

• Himorogi
                  MiceChatter
                  • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Signor GC View Post
                  ... gives me shivers... As how I've been concerned about this irony. DisneySea's theme of sea might harshly clashes with the tsunami.

This is a problem for the park's theming...
                  Well, the whole "waves" thing should be thrown out the window and they should figure something else out quick.

However, I think it's a bit silly to worry about the theme of the park. The sea is very important to Japan, and tsunami is a sad part of that fact (being an island nation in an earthquake zone) but Japan has lived with those for all of history.

A park themed to the sea is nothing bad as far as I'm concerned. If they had a "tsunami" attraction or something, different story...but that's more the kind of idiocy Universal is famous for...remember twister in Florida after the twisters?

Comment

• Himorogi
                    MiceChatter
                    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by DuffyDaisuki View Post
                    A friend of mine made an interesting point about the operating hours the other day. She said, "It's not a charity, you know. They must have a LOT of confidence in their product. Not only are they charging the same price for a 30% reduction in time and several missing attractions or entertainment offerings, but they're still planning to go ahead with raising ticket prices by around 7%!" She was kinda outraged, actually, but I didn't imagine so many Japanese Disney fans might feel the same way; my friend is not really a Disney fan. I'm actually a bit surprised at this reaction, although I am equally surprised that the price hike is going forward, too.
                    I've heard the same sentiment from MANY people recently.

And from Disney fans, too.

Indeed, Disneyland is not a charity, and they'd better do something about the growing sentiment (my first thought was, cancel the price hike for now).

Comment

• voleball
                      • Jul 2010

The popular crowd calendar site has a page for actual wait times.
                      Instead of showing the expected number of people for that day, it shows the actual avearage wait time at the peak time. For example, the average wait time at peak on 4/19 was 8 minutes.

Comment

• jedimaster7313
                        You have much to learn...
                        • Jun 2006

I think the price hike at the parks is at the wrong time too, especially since there has been so much loss in the area. I would think they would keep pricing the same for the time being-especially since attendance levels aren't at the normal numbers- by raising prices at this time, I think would discourage visitors since many people are trying to rebuild in the surrounding areas who suffered damage from the quakes.

TDR should hold off on price hikes for now- or even offer som locals discounts to encourage more guests to visit till things eventually calm down and return to normal.

The US parks experience price hikes a few times a year- every year- This is the normal here-and many don't like it, but we've learned to put up with it. TDR has kept it's rates constant for many years now & though it was originally announced that prices would be going up- the timing is just bad now due to the disaster that occurred last month.

Comment

• DuffyDaisuki

• Feb 2009

:blink:Is this for real?!?? That's freaking nuts!!!

Comment

• jedimaster7313
                            You have much to learn...
                            • Jun 2006

Yes, Duffster- it's true- I think we'd be surprised if there was a time that park passes didn't go up in the states.

But even if the 4 day passes at TDR are going up from 15000 to 16000- it's still a better value than the prices we are paying- I don't keep up on pass prices here since I usually get an annual or premiere pass-but as a basic example, A 4 day WDW pass starts at approx $232, even if it's for 4 parks-but that's before adding any park hopping and no expiration options. You can always check out www.disneyworld.com or www.disneyland.com to compare.

I still wish TDR would offer longer than 4 day options, but I guess it's just the way they operate. One difference though- TDR annual passes are really expensive in comparison to their regular park passes.

I think my friend got an annual pass for Hong Kong for something like $85.

Comment

• Malin
                              MiceChatter
                              • Jan 2005

Resort Cruiser its good to see you posting over on these boards too now

I can think of a number of reasons why attendance is so dismal right now. And not all of these involve the current crisis Japan is currently going though. The Resort gave only three days notice that it would reopen on the 15th of April. Yes about 30 million all live within easy traveling distance to and from the Resort. But many of these people have jobs and would require notice to take the day off work. Last Weekend I believe was good for Cherry Blossom viewing and many would have been enjoying this seasonal event around Tokyo. With no clear idea when the Resort or the hotels would reopen, I suspect a fair few canceled trips to the Resort. And obviously the earlier closing times will have stopped many from visiting after work. With DisneySea reopening in a weeks time, and TDL returning to normal opening hours, plus many now having a better idea of whats actually happening with hours. Attendance should start to improve greatly. Also I would not be suprised to see bigger crowds at Tokyo Disneyland over the Weekend. Now that word is out the park is back in buisness and people have more time to plan day trips.
                              Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/malin1804

Comment

• Roger55
                                Just another Disney fan..
                                • Jan 2005

Last Weekend I believe was good for Cherry Blossom viewing and many would have been enjoying this seasonal event around Tokyo.
                                Just a little correction so people don't get wrong information.

Cherry Blossom season typically runs from the middle of March at the earliest until the middle of April. Weather and locale cause the blooming to happen at different times each year, but almost always they are done blooming by the middle of April.

All the blossoms were gone by the time I arrived in the Tokyo area on the 15th.

Comment

• Malin
                                  MiceChatter
                                  • Jan 2005

Sorry Roger, but I have seen some images including from the Deep Disney website for instance that did feature tree's from Tokyo Disneyland and Urayasu on the 15th of April with petals still on them. While most had already reached there peak by the time of your arrival in Tokyo. Several tree's were only starting to loose petals and the last weekend would have been the last chance for many people this year to view them. Shinjuku Gyoen and the Imperial East Gardens also had some late bloomers.

This Weekend the excuse for poor attendance can be contributed slightly to the weather. Deep showed the park today in a massive downpour of rain. While we can only speculate to how many were put off by the weather. I have experienced much smaller crowds when the weather has turned bad. But its better it happened this Weekend and hopely not next Weekend with the start of Fantasmic and the begining of Golden Week. Who's going to want to sit it out in the rain all day.

By the way today should had been the start of Disney's 10th Anniversary Be Magical.
                                  Last edited by Malin; 04-23-2011, 02:49 AM.

Comment

• Malin
                                    MiceChatter
                                    • Jan 2005

Looking at photo's posted today on Deep Disney. It does seem like things are slowly starting to improve. The site showed decent crowds waiting for the Parade. And longer wait times for some of the attractions. Monsters Inc showed a wait time of 50-60 minutes. Splash posted 45 minutes. And Cinderella Fairy Tale Hall was the longest at 90 minutes. Kind of pointing out that several regular Guests have not had the opportunity yet to check the new attraction. Also in more positive news the scalfolding on Big Thunder is slowly starting to be removed in preparation for its reopening.

Comment

• Fukai
                                      Resident of the Caldera
                                      • Jul 2008

I see very short wait times posted on Deep Disney. Incredibly short. The period between school vacation and Golden Week is always slow, so this isn't entirely unexpected. No one knows what's going to happen, and won't know, until we see if the crowds for Golden Week materialize and then stay at a decent level thereafter when both parks are open and running full hours.
                                      Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

Comment

• DuffyDaisuki

• Feb 2009

Originally posted by Roger55 View Post
                                        Just a little correction so people don't get wrong information.

Cherry Blossom season typically runs from the middle of March at the earliest until the middle of April. Weather and locale cause the blooming to happen at different times each year, but almost always they are done blooming by the middle of April.

Originally posted by Malin View Post
                                        Sorry Roger, but I have seen some images including from the Deep Disney website for instance that did feature tree's from Tokyo Disneyland and Urayasu on the 15th of April with petals still on them. While most had already reached there peak by the time of your arrival in Tokyo. Several tree's were only starting to loose petals and the last weekend would have been the last chance for many people this year to view them. Shinjuku Gyoen and the Imperial East Gardens also had some late bloomers.

This Weekend the excuse for poor attendance can be contributed slightly to the weather...
                                        Just in case people read this and want to make travel plans iin the future to catch the blossoms, it should be noted that Roger55 is correct. While there may have been a very few trees with a very few remaining blossoms, all the trees around Tokyo were pretty much green by around 4/10. The weather and the mood are much more likely the reasons for low park attendance than flower-viewing gatherings, the latter also being curbed this year by a lack of official support by local government in the Tokyo area.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X