This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News Latest Information on ATMs in Japan

Just thought I'd pass on some news about use of foreign bank ATM/Debit cards in Japan.

As of April this year, 7-11 ATMs, which use to allow foreign country's ATM cards, no longer accepts MasterCard, Maestro, Cirrus or Star System ATM/Debit cards. This includes the 7-11 ATM in the basement of Ikspiari.

The ATM in TDL Mitsubishi Bank in World Bazaar for me only accepted a Chinese bank.

I ended up using the tried and true ATMs at the Post Offices.

If you don't want to end up short of cash I suggest you do your research before traveling to Japan.

Re: Latest Information on ATMs in Japan

ありがとう

Comment

If you have VISA, it still works at Seven Bank ATMs. It's also accepted everywhere in the resort except for food carts.
      (Well, at least it was two weeks ago!)

Comment

"VISA: It's everywhere you want to be."

Comment

It sure wasn't everywhere I wanted it to be OUTSIDE of Disney... :/

Comment

I had trouble with the resort's credit card readers reading the magnetic stripe on my last trip in April. Never had a problem before. How long do we have to wait until the dingdong corporations in the US finally give us chip and pin cards!
            Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

Comment

Citibank also has a few branches you can use as well. When I go, that's who I've generally used if I needed cash from a machine, especially the one in Shinjuku or Ginza.

Also, chip & pin is generally just a Europe thing. Japan you'd be better off with Pasmo/Suica. Some of the US credit card companies (for top tier cards) offer chip + signature.
              Last edited by FenderP; 05-24-2013, 11:36 PM.

Comment

They should find a way to integrate the magnetic strip and the chip/PIN/signature thing for ALL cards so it's universal no matter where you travel to. I just got my new debit card in the mail yesterday (old one was expiring next month). Good thing too because the magnetic strip was about worn out on the old card.

Comment

I realize the thread is in regards to ATMs, but I just wanted to add that I had no problems using my (US company) Mastercard or American Express in the parks. Both were easily accepted at restaurants (mainly counter service), gift shops, and ticket booths out front.

Comment

US credit cards do work perfectly well in the parks, but you can't get cash with them.
                    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

Comment

There is an atm machine in Ikspiari that accepts debit cards, my friend has used it on several trips - It's on the main level located near the restrooms- I can't remember exactly where, but I believe it was around the corner from that french pastry shop.

Comment

Originally posted by jedimaster7313 View Post
                        There is an atm machine in Ikspiari that accepts debit cards, my friend has used it on several trips - It's on the main level located near the restrooms- I can't remember exactly where, but I believe it was around the corner from that french pastry shop.

I believe the machine I mentioned in my original post is the only one that accepts international bank cards.

As of April this year, 7-11 ATMs, which use to allow foreign country's ATM cards, no longer accepts MasterCard, Maestro, Cirrus or Star System ATM/Debit cards. This includes the 7-11 ATM in the basement of Ikspiari.
                        There are three other ATMs in Ikspiari, but I believe these are all Japan banks only. I'll check them out to make sure.

Ikspiari ATMs
                        Last edited by Roger55; 05-29-2013, 12:11 PM.

Comment

ATMs, where you can get your own money from your bank account, are few and far between in Japan and always have been. Machines that will advance you money from your credit card company (you'll need the pin) are in a lot of places including many train stops. I don't know if the changes described above count for all of the credit card machines in Tokyo or simply at Disney.

Comment

Originally posted by shelemm View Post
                            I don't know if the changes described above count for all of the credit card machines in Tokyo or simply at Disney.

My OP applies to ALL 7-11/7&i Holdings ATMs in Japan. Not cc machines and not just at Disney.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X