Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Headed to Japan this September! Need help.

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Headed to Japan this September! Need help.

The hotel can be booked through other travel sites if you can't maneuver the Toyoko Inn site. booking.com, hotels.com, or agoda.com are major ones. Also I have found good deals on laterooms.com

Comment

I'm pretty sure you can become a registered guest at Toyoko Inn without a club card membership....though to get the reduced price you eventually have to pay for a membership upon check-in. Membership costs 1,500Yen.

Go to the reservation page, and click on guest reservation on one of the far right gray buttons. Although it's a bit confusing, it will take you to a page where you can register. There are two reservation fields, the one on the right is blue. That's the one you want.

Comment

Originally posted by 14 MPH View Post

Day 2 @ DisneySea - Tower of Terror, Storm Rider, Aquatopia, Indy
        Whoa...now while I do enjoy Storm Rider (I seem to be one of the few) I have to warn you that Aquatopia is skippable and you are focusing on things you can ride elsewhere (ToT, Indy) over things you cannot see anywhere else (Journey, 20,000 Leagues, Sinbad, Big Band Beat).

I agree with Roger55, I'd re-do that target list for TDS. Indy and ToT were fun, but second-day adventures for me once I had hit the main unique attractions.

Comment

Originally posted by tloolgb View Post
          Whoa...now while I do enjoy Storm Rider (I seem to be one of the few) I have to warn you that Aquatopia is skippable and you are focusing on things you can ride elsewhere (ToT, Indy) over things you cannot see anywhere else (Journey, 20,000 Leagues, Sinbad, Big Band Beat).

I agree with Roger55, I'd re-do that target list for TDS. Indy and ToT were fun, but second-day adventures for me once I had hit the main unique attractions.
          I want to ride ToT and Indy because their themed differently. I heard the queue in Indy is pretty cool, and I'd like to see the non-Twlight Zone version of ToT. So yes, I'll think I'll move them to the either to the later that day or the second day.

Yes, maybe I'll move Aquatopia to my "nice to have list"

I was looking forward to 20K leagues, but it will be refurbished while I'm there.

Disneyland - 1982 to Present
          Walt Disney World - 1996, 2011
          Tokyo Disney Resort - 2013
          Hong Kong Disneyland - 2013

Comment

I check hyperdia and compared nishikasai with kyobashi, and the latter is more shorter and cheaper, albeit a small difference.

Toyoko Inn only has Non-Smoking Economy Double Rooms available, and it is smaller than what we currently have booked. So I think we'll stand pat.

Comment

Aquatopia and Storm Rider are terrific, Aqua especially during the summer. There is no reason to miss any of these; TDS has very few rides to begin with, might as well do them all.

Storm Rider has FastPass, and they don't run out quickly. No FastPass for Aquatopia. There are two lines for Aquatopia, a dry version and a wet version. Almost nobody goes on the dry version, for good reason.

Comment

I want to ride ToT and Indy because their themed differently. I heard the queue in Indy is pretty cool, and I'd like to see the non-Twlight Zone version of ToT. So yes, I'll think I'll move them to the either to the later that day or the second day.

Yes, maybe I'll move Aquatopia to my "nice to have list"

I was looking forward to 20K leagues, but it will be refurbished while I'm there.
                Understandable, the themeing in ToT and the queue for Indy was cool (even on the FP side).

Too bad about 20k. At least you still get Journey. Ideally...you get to hit all the rides.

Comment

Too bad about 20k. At least you still get Journey. Ideally...you get to hit all the rides.
                  I know. I was bummed about 20K. I'm such a fan of underwater rides (even if 20K is fake underwater). One of my favorite rides to this day is the Submarine Voyage

Comment

I think you are going to be able to do many more attractions than you have planned. I was there during Spring Break and it was crowded and still got to do everything I wanted to do. Here are some more suggestions of TDR things you might enjoy:

TDL-
                    Jungle Cruise- I had no idea what he was saying, but the skipper was hilarious
                    Mark Twain- fun to get an overview of the park. You can see Big Thunder, Splash, and Tom Sawyer Island
                    Tour of Cinderella Castle- neat art work inside and a great way to get out of the rain
                    Monsters Inc is cute if you can get a Fastpass

TDS-
                    Steamer boats - a good way to get a water tour of the park
                    Fortress Explorations- really under-rated and interesting
                    Don't miss Big Band Beat (Mickey tap dances and plays the drums)
                    Fantasmic and Legend of Mythica are not to be missed

The other posters are correct about Duffy (and his female counterpart Shellie May) being everywhere. I didn't give a rip about Duffy until I went to TDS. Now I have them on my backpack and I have them in their Spring Voyage outfits.

You may want to check out the Miracosta and Disneyland Hotels, they were really pretty!

Other stuff I enjoyed in Tokyo:
                    Ueno Park, Senjo-ji Temple, Sumida River, Catching a Tokyo Giants game at the Tokyo Dome, Shibuya, and outside of Tokyo- Yokohama and Kamakura.

You can use American ATM cards at 7-11. You can change money at the parks too. Are you renting a cell phone? We rented an iphone for 12 days, we were able to pick it up and drop it off at Narita. American cell phones won't work in Japan. It was well worth it for Hyperdia.com alone.

You are going to have such a great time! I'm so jealous. I can't wait to go back to Tokyo!

Comment

If it's any consolation, 20K is not nearly as good as FNSV at Disneyland. You really aren't missing much. Good for very young kids who think they really are on a submarine.

I read somewhere that the steamer line at TDS is really great at night, as is Aquatopia. But I only rode those daytime.

Comment

Originally posted by ratoncitaloca View Post
                        You can use American ATM cards at 7-11.
                        Latest Information on ATMs in Japan

Comment

Originally posted by shelemm View Post
                          If it's any consolation, 20K is not nearly as good as FNSV at Disneyland. You really aren't missing much. Good for very young kids who think they really are on a submarine.
                          !!!

100% disagree. 20K at TDS is an excellent ride. Finding Nemo in Disneyland cannot compare. At all.

At all.

Comment

!!!

100% disagree. 20K at TDS is an excellent ride. Finding Nemo in Disneyland cannot compare. At all.

At all.
                            Of course there is a basis for comparison! Both are submarine rides, one has you actually underwater and the other is fake.

You say that 20K is "excellent." Is it the best ride in all of Disney? Or are there rides that are better than "excellent?"
                            I have never heard such love for this ride before.

FNSV is a unique attraction, nothing like it since the inception of Disneyland. To wit, the OP of this thread stated "One of my favorite rides to this day is the Submarine Voyage."

Sorry you don't like it, tloolgb, but it has many, many fans. Or should I say: for anyone who is already a big fan of FNSV, then 20K is probably a letdown. If you don't like FNSV, then maybe you will like 20K.
                            Last edited by shelemm; 06-04-2013, 09:59 AM.

Comment

20k to me is a more realistic underwater attraction than FNSV. Once you get in the caves of FNSV it becomes tvs hidden in the scenery.
                              With 20k you are amazed by the amount of thought it took to make you feel like you're under the water. Plants and creatures move like they are underwater. It's AWESOME to me.

The story of 20k may be confusing to non speaking Japanese, but I found this cool translation.
                              Disneyology: 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (Tokyo DisneySea) Transcript

In regards to this post.
                              Ticket prices are cheaper at the TDR than in any U.S. park.
                              For some reason the Japanese do not believe in air condition. So some shops and restaurants may be very warm.
                              Big thumbs up to the Sheraton. Sure you miss out at the Disney Resort hotel themeing, but for the price it cannot be beaten.
                              Make sure you check out Ikspiari aka their version of Downtown Disney. I love the Hawaiian Burger place (forgot name)
                              Make sure you see the shows. Especially Mystic Rhythms and Big Bang Beat at TDS. They are not lame like most of the U.S. shows.
                              Loved the Sinbad ride at TDS. Very basic, but you will hum the song even though you will have no idea what they are saying.
                              FYI here is another translation (the singing is just ok... I am being nice):

DO NOT miss out on any attraction thinking it's the same as in the U.S. The parks at the TDR are all top notch and in most cases the Tokyo version is much better.
                              3 Days at the resort will get it done, but 4 will make it a lot easier
                              Last edited by Brisal73; 06-05-2013, 01:48 AM.

Comment

If you'd like some additional info on TDR and Tokyo, you are welcome to read my blog from my trip there in April of last year. It starts on this page:

Travel Blog: Into The Land Of The Rising Sun

My wife and I are visiting Hong Kong Disneyland this September also and are very excited as that will be the last Disney park that we haven't visited until Shanghai opens.

Have fun!

-Mike

Comment

Keep the input coming!

Here's my tentative schedule:

Sunday (Sept. 8) - Arrive Tokyo in early evening
                                  Monday - Tokyo Disney Day 1
                                  Tuesday - Tokyo Disney Day 2
                                  Wednesday - Tokyo Disney Day 3
                                  Thursday - Imperial Palace, Onsen, Tokyo Giants Game
                                  Friday - Shibuya, Akihabara
                                  Saturday - TBD
                                  Sunday(Sept. 8) - Last minute shopping, fly home

Here's some tidbits I need input on, please:
                                  - I'm thinking of catching a Japanese Baseball game. Possibly Giants. There's a game scheduled on Thursday. It's at the Tokyo Dome. Anyone have experience going?

-For Akihabara, I'd like recommendations on places for 1) Used Video Games, 2) Gadgets, 3) Anime
                                  - I want to get an "Engrish" shirt. Any store recommendations would help.
                                  - For food, we'd love recommendations for any place listed above which has: Ramen (Tonkotsu and Mabo), Sushi, Curry, Soba, and anything else worth trying.
                                  - Recommendations for Onsens (Gaijin Friendly)

- I know for both parks in Disney I need to get there BEFORE OPENING. If I had pick one where I couldn't go that early (but still early enough), which one would that be? We're going to hit up Disney on our first day, and I want to allow some buffer time (in case we get up later, we get lost, need to buy our passes, etc)
                                  Last edited by 14 MPH; 06-06-2013, 05:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brisal73 View Post
                                    20k to me is a more realistic underwater attraction than FNSV. Once you get in the caves of FNSV it becomes tvs hidden in the scenery.
                                    With 20k you are amazed by the amount of thought it took to make you feel like you're under the water. Plants and creatures move like they are underwater. It's AWESOME to me.
                                    This pretty much sums up what I would say.

Originally posted by shelemm View Post
                                    You say that 20K is "excellent." Is it the best ride in all of Disney? Or are there rides that are better than "excellent?"
                                    I have never heard such love for this ride before.
                                    To quote the Santa Clause "just because you haven't seen (heard?) it doesn't mean it doesn't exist"...or something like that. I am sure there are lots of visitors that enjoy 20K. Anyone of the US parks would be lucky to have it.

And something being "excellent" doesn't mean its the best, but it does make it quality. I can have other rides that I like better...they are "excellent" too.

- I know for both parks in Disney I need to get there BEFORE OPENING. If I had pick one where I couldn't go that early (but still early enough), which one would that be? We're going to hit up Disney on our first day, and I want to allow some buffer time (in case we get up later, we get lost, need to buy our passes, etc)
                                    Err...I would say if you had to miss an "early" day I would say DisneySEA just because we still got on 20K and Journey in the evenings during Fantasmic!...even without Fastpass. We only got on Pooh with Fastpass and/or as our very first ride running to it. And Pooh is my #1 recommendation to not miss in Tokyo Disney.

Comment

Here's an earlier thread on restaurants in Tokyo. Lots of contributions by the regulars here. :-)

Keep the input coming!

Saturday - TBD

- I'm thinking of catching a Japanese Baseball game. Possibly Giants. There's a game scheduled on Thursday. It's at the Tokyo Dome. Anyone have experience going?

-For Akihabara, I'd like recommendations on places for 1) Used Video Games, 2) Gadgets, 3) Anime
                                      - For food, we'd love recommendations for any place listed above which has: Ramen (Tonkotsu and Mabo), Sushi, Curry, Soba, and anything else worth trying.

Comment

Keep the input coming!

Saturday - TBD

Imperial Palace was somewhat boring to me. The temple/wall portion is nice to see, but after that it is mostly a garden. I LOVED Shinjuku Park much more.

The 2nd time I went to Tokyo I went to a baseball game at the Tokyo Dome. Bought my tickets at a Ticketmaster type of location in a mall and had a great time.
                                        The 3rd time I went to Tokyo I decided to buy tickets at the Tokyo Dome and that was a bad move as it was sold out. It may have been busier than usual because I think it was opening day. My recommendation... See if the hotel will help you get the tickets for the game. FYI baseball games are very fun and a different experience than in the states. Beer girls are the best!

I recommend going to hole in the wall places for your food in Tokyo they are cheaper and usually much better. Look for a Red lantern with black and white letters. That usually signifies Ramen. Do not be shocked if you have to use a ticket machine to order your food. For curry I like Co Co Curry.

Akihabra is one BIG electronic swap meet. It is AWESOME if you are into that stuff

Other side suggestion is Sega Joypolis in Odaiba. Its a more touristy area in Tokyo, but its fun to experience a Japanese Theme Park

Comment

Originally posted by Brisal73 View Post
                                          Imperial Palace was somewhat boring to me. The temple/wall portion is nice to see, but after that it is mostly a garden. I LOVED Shinjuku Park much more.

The 2nd time I went to Tokyo I went to a baseball game at the Tokyo Dome. Bought my tickets at a Ticketmaster type of location in a mall and had a great time.
                                          The 3rd time I went to Tokyo I decided to buy tickets at the Tokyo Dome and that was a bad move as it was sold out. It may have been busier than usual because I think it was opening day. My recommendation... See if the hotel will help you get the tickets for the game. FYI baseball games are very fun and a different experience than in the states. Beer girls are the best!

I recommend going to hole in the wall places for your food in Tokyo they are cheaper and usually much better. Look for a Red lantern with black and white letters. That usually signifies Ramen. Do not be shocked if you have to use a ticket machine to order your food. For curry I like Co Co Curry.

Akihabra is one BIG electronic swap meet. It is AWESOME if you are into that stuff

Other side suggestion is Sega Joypolis in Odaiba. Its a more touristy area in Tokyo, but its fun to experience a Japanese Theme Park
                                          Thanks for the info. My wife wanted one day away from the city environment to something more relaxing and nature. So I wanted to do this, then go to an Onsen. I'm planning it after our Tokyo Disney time. If you have any other ideas please share.

The info on tickets is great. I'll try to look for a place that sells them beforehand.

Ahhh....the ticket system. I have gone to Tokyo 10+ years ago, and Korea recently. I actually find it easier at times than speaking in Japanese.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X