Announcement

Collapse

Reminder

It is against MiceChat's rules to promote any violations of Disney's rules. Members who choose to brag about breaking Disney's rules, or who encourage others to break Disney rules, will be immediately banned. There will be no exceptions.
See more
See less

Hot as Hell!

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fukai
    started a topic [Chat] Hot as Hell!

Hot as Hell!

Jeez, it's been years since I've been to Tokyo in the summer. It's absolutely horrendous. Hot (93 degrees today) and 90% humidity here at the Tokyo Disney Resort.
    Yikes!

• MANEATINGWREATH
    replied
    Re: Hot as Hell!

In 2005 or 2006, my family went to the original Disneyland; it was 101 degrees with 80-something percent humidity. YIKES. Then again, 93 degrees with 90% humidity in an overcrowded theme park is probably torturous. My only advice would be lots of water, find some shade, and don't hesitate to rest...or wait in indoor queues.

Leave a comment:

• Fukai
    replied

There'll be a new hand-motion thingy for the new parade, but unlikely to be the Obake (ghost) one because that was an integral part of the Welcome to Spookyville song.

Leave a comment:

• ThatBrunette
    replied

Originally posted by Fukai View Post
    During the day in DC it's been about 47% humidity: not the 90% it was in Tokyo.
    We've been lucky with temperatures in the MD/DC area this year. Normally, we have 95+ deg and code red (bad air quality) days throughout the summer. We've also had a lot of rain this year so no drought conditions.

As for Halloween, we went during October of 2011 but did not do the parties. I love Halloween so, I really enjoyed the decorations and parade. Oh, and the merchandise and food was cute, too. Make sure you get the Japanese map and brochure. The seasonal items are not listed in the English versions. I had to use broken Japanese, hand gestures and drawings to get information about the red bean paste Halloween treats. :-)

Will the Obake hand jive remain in the parade? I still have my little Obake hand puppet. :-)

Leave a comment:

• Fukai
    replied

During the day in DC it's been about 47% humidity: not the 90% it was in Tokyo.

Leave a comment:

• shelemm
    replied

There's a heat wave right now in the US, in DC it's about the same humidity as Tokyo, but a lot hotter.

Leave a comment:

• jedimaster7313
    replied

I'm in NY right now and it's unbearable here & it isn't even as humid- I can only imagine what it's like in Japan right now. I do avoid travel in the summer there at all costs. I went in late September one year and it was hot enough for me back then.

I don't care how cold it gets, but November is the best time for me to go to the parks at the start of Christmas season. I visited in April this year for the first time and loved it, aside from the rain that put a downer on most of my trip.

Leave a comment:

• Fukai
    replied

Right now, where I live on the East Coast, it's 93 degrees and 47% humidity. It doesn't compare to the hell-on-wheels-horror of last week in Tokyo. Shade doesn't make much difference: sitting on the Maihama JR platform waiting for the train into Tokyo was unbearable. And it's in the shade. The only thing that made a difference was both shade AND a breeze.

It might be better than Shanghai or Hong Kong, but I'm not going to either of those cities in the summer! Or Tokyo, again, either.

Leave a comment:

• Asa
    replied

I was at DisneySea on 12 July and it was very hot as well. But actually it wasn't so bad except when we were outdoor for a whole hour for Legend of Mythica. I had to wet my towel and cover my head with it.

Most of the rides, shops and restaurants have good air-conditioning. Mermaid Lagoon is completely air-conditioned. There are also some water spray machines, make use of them. Have an ice-cream or iced drink.

Once you are out of direct sunlight you are okay. Do bring a towel, keep it wet to wipe away your sweat and drink lots of water.

I was also in Disneyland on 11 July, using the Summer 5 passport and entered at 6pm and stayed till 10pm. Once the sun has set there was no heat problems. We queued outdoor for Pooh's Hunny Hunt and saw the Electrical Parade and there was no problem with the heat at all.

Leave a comment:

• aimster
    replied

Al long as you stay hydrated (as in drinking WATER, not soda) & have shade (bring an umbrella - I've noticed in photos at TDR this summer lots of guests have umbrellas out even in the sun to give them extra shade while waiting in line and walking through the parks), you'll be fine.

A couple weeks ago in St Petersburg, FL it was 91 with a heat index of 102! It was ridiculous and St Pete is on the coast, so we're usually cooler than inland. I can only imagine how bad it was in Orlando that day since they're smack in the middle of the state, landlocked.

Leave a comment:

• shelemm
    replied

I've been twice in August. It does get hot, that's for sure. In fact, the most important aspect of getting to the parks early is you can wait in the shade before park opening. The sun has a way of beating down on you in this part of the world which seems different than Florida. That's why the women at TDR carry parasols.

Despite that, it was completely bearable both times I've been there and it did not diminish our fun. Tokyo in August is still more comfortable than Shanghai or Hong Kong.

Leave a comment:

• LizCatMom
    replied

Originally posted by LizCatMom View Post
    Okay, Roger or Fukai, could I beg either one of you to pick me up one of the long towels? Particularly I like the Donald one and then the Minnie one -- the ones they made for Natsu Matsuri. Those things are going on ebay for $25 -- crazy! I see them on Magic Delivery, but I don't know Japanese well enough or can't even tell if they'd ship to US address. Any chance you can help a girl out!! Puh-lease!!!
    Anybody? :beg:

Leave a comment:

• Roger55
    replied

If tomorrow goes above 30 degrees it will be a heat wave of historical proportions for July!

I can tell you right now it is more uncomfortable than I've experienced in FL.

Leave a comment:

• Fukai
    replied

As far as comparing it to Orlando, I have never ever felt a heat and humidity combo like this in Walt Disney World.

Leave a comment:

• Fukai
    replied

Today it's 96 degrees!!!!

Sorry Mrs.H, but I'm actually here working on a book, but staying at the Hilton as usual. I will see you and K in October!

I went to Tokyo Disneyland on Tuesday morning, but we could only stand it for three hours because of the heat.

I've heard reports of many people having heatstroke, so am being careful. Fortunately, I'm spending most of my time inside air-conditioned places this trip but I'm going to try and do DisneySEA on Friday. Gulp.

Leave a comment:

• aimster
    replied

Originally posted by Fukai View Post
    Jeez, it's been years since I've been to Tokyo in the summer. It's absolutely horrendous. Hot (93 degrees today) and 90% humidity here at the Tokyo Disney Resort.
    Yikes!
    Sounds like Florida summer to me. Right this moment at WDW it's 89 with a heat index of 95. Only 54% humidity but tonight that's supposed to jump to 84% and the low is supposed to be 73 (with just a 30% chance of rain, meaning it probably won't rain). Here in Florida the humidity jumps WAY up at night, which is crazy. Tomorrow's forecast calls for 69% humidity during the day and then it jumps to 88% at night.

Leave a comment:

• LizCatMom
    replied

Okay, Roger or Fukai, could I beg either one of you to pick me up one of the long towels? Particularly I like the Donald one and then the Minnie one -- the ones they made for Natsu Matsuri. Those things are going on ebay for $25 -- crazy! I see them on Magic Delivery, but I don't know Japanese well enough or can't even tell if they'd ship to US address. Any chance you can help a girl out!! Puh-lease!!!

Leave a comment:

• LizCatMom
    replied

This thread got me thinking -- weather wise, when does everyone think is the better time to go to TDR? We went the week before Christmas last year and, I'm not going to lie, it was chilly. But, our most recent trip was about the third week and May and I thought it was lovely. I'm just wondering when does it start to feel pleasant again later in the year.

Leave a comment:

• Trekkie Dad
    replied

I'll be going to Japan to visit family in about a month. Tokyo may or may not be on our agenda.

Leave a comment:

• Roger55
    replied

No need to say sorry. My comment was just about how crazy I must be to be going knowing what I already know about summer time in Japan! Lol! Was not in response to anything you said.

I lived in Japan in the past and also visit several times every year.

Good tips too about how to beat the heat!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X