Whats Happening TDR's Entertainment Department.

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • disfa10
    Banned User
    • Aug 2010

[Question] Whats Happening TDR's Entertainment Department.

Since the last new Seasonal Shows were so off,and there are no more nighttime seasonal shows In both parks a few tdr fan sites have been disappointed on whats happening in the entertainment Department.and some of its loyal park goers are now considering not to renew their annual passes.
    and for me I'm a bit disappointed by that too.So Once Upon A Time is going to be new nighttime regular show that doesnt mean that they have to cut shows.Dancers are getting the cuts now shows.really?
    Is OLC turning into TDO or WDC?
  • Roger55
    Just another Disney fan..
    • Jan 2005

Re: Whats Happening TDR's Entertainment Department.

TDR's entertainment budget has steadily been cut every year for the last several years. The effects of these cuts are obvious. I can only speculate as to why OLC is doing these cuts.

However, with annual attendance reaching an all time high for 2013, I don't think there is any motivation for OLC to change their approach. Unless they see a drastic effect on park attendance that they relate directly to the entertainment cuts, I don't think they will change their ways.

OLC has been investing in new attractions recently which drives attendance up. Maybe if the new attraction trend slows down, then there might be a drop in attendance.

TDR has a similar situation as DLR where many of the park Guests are annual passholders. Passholders typically spend less per visit than day visitors on things such as food and merchandise. I'm thinking maybe OLC might welcome a drop in passholders in order to attract more day Guests.

Comment

• Duyanh92
      MiceChatter
      • Sep 2010

I agree!!!

But the cut off happened after the earthquake, so I think they might need to save budget for maintaining the park.

But TDL Disneyland has the best summer spectacular now, Soryo Kobu (3 EMBU, 2 FINAL) so total 5 shows a day during summer. This is still great.

I was there both Halloween and Christmas last year. Decorations were limited. No nighttime stage show.

It was shame that they didnt have any stage show for 30th Anniversary too.

Once Upon A Time will 15 minutes length. It is short for a nighttime spectacular. I hope they will add lot of fires, waters, and pyros. Otherwise it's gonna be like Celebrate the Magic.

Anyway, they are eventually adding the stage shows again (i can see this) because this year easter is better.

Updated: Sorry that I've read the summer news of TDR. I thought the park is improving but they are not... It is like HKDL to me. I'm sad that Soryo Kobu wont come back this year (Bon fire dance as well). No night shows at TDL in SUMMER.... Without Soryo Kobu, I will stay at home because it's just boring to go to the park during the heat without the famous Soryo Kobu The Final....
      Last edited by Duyanh92; 04-09-2014, 01:57 AM.

Visit my pages (Nikkoap92) for lots of pictures from Tokyo Disney Resort ^_^

Facebook
      Instagram
      Flickr
      Youtube

Comment

• Duyanh92
        MiceChatter
        • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Roger55 View Post
        TDR has a similar situation as DLR where many of the park Guests are annual passholders. Passholders typically spend less per visit than day visitors on things such as food and merchandise. I'm thinking maybe OLC might welcome a drop in passholders in order to attract more day Guests.
        As my perspective, I bought my annual pass because of the restaurants. And I think I spend more for food than any guest. Haha :P
        And Ive not bought anything from the Parks. (except for some popcorn buckets, and a hat)... but Annual Pass Holders are usually crazy for Disney, and I see them buy more merchandises than typical visitors...

Facebook
        Instagram
        Flickr
        Youtube

Comment

• TravisMT81
          Surfin the net with Duffy
          • Jul 2007

I am currently in Tokyo, and this will probably be my last trip for awhile until they get their act together. I have been very upset about Mythica leaving, without a replacement!

:love:Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011:love:
          We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.
          Craig Russell -Walt Disney Imagineering

Comment

• Roger55
            • Jan 2005

Originally posted by TravisMT81 View Post
            I am currently in Tokyo, and this will probably be my last trip for awhile until they get their act together.
            If a whole lot of people take this approach, maybe then OLC will start to take notice and put more money back into the entertainment budget.

Seeing the attendance trend in spite of the cuts to entertainment makes me think it might be a very long time before anyone in OLC starts to take notice.

Comment

• Duyanh92
              MiceChatter
              • Sep 2010

Originally posted by TravisMT81 View Post
              I am currently in Tokyo, and this will probably be my last trip for awhile until they get their act together. I have been very upset about Mythica leaving, without a replacement!
              I think the replacement will be announce soon, but I think it gonna take a lot of time to install the new show.

Also, they dont perform Happiness is Here during the Easer... They should run both shows!!!!!!

Facebook
              Instagram
              Flickr
              Youtube

Comment

• theroooboy
                New MiceChatter
                • Nov 2011

Happiness Parade returns end of May when both Easter & Happiness will be running
                The new nighttime castle projection show begins end of May too.

Comment

• Fukai
                  Resident of the Caldera
                  • Jul 2008

They will replace Mythica--customers will demand it.

The entertainment budget has been cut in half in recent years. This is because Disney built an enormously expensive power plant to keep the entire resort running in case of an emergency. It cost a fortune, and you're seeing that money cut back in other areas. (Kind of like the way the 2 billion dollars for My Magic and Magic Bands in Orlando has meant the end of anything new for years to come.)
                  Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

Comment

• TravisMT81
                    • Jul 2007

Do we have an est cost on the power plant?

We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.

Comment

• jedimaster7313
                      You have much to learn...
                      • Jun 2006

I hope things start improving as well at the parks- I still think TDR is better than most of the other Disney parks worldwide, but yes - entertainment shows and parades just aren't what they used to be.

I think the first few times I was there starting in 2004 was right before the start of the cutbacks- My first experience was during the finale of the 20th Anniversary, Cinderellabration & the first Rhythms of the World - I rember being in awe of the shows, parades and decorations at that time.

2005 was the first time I visited in November for Cristmas Fantasy & Harborside Christmas and was blown away by the spectacular shows in both parks as well. I decided back then that November would be my annual trip to TDR. But since then, I've noticed as well, that entertainment offerings were becoming less and decorations were sparse. I still go each year- still have a great time, but still feel like something is missing.

I visited twice during the 30th, but noticed as well the cutbacks from when I had visited during the 20th.

I'm going next month to see the Disney's Easter for the first time and am sure I will enjoy it.

I know I will miss Mythica when it sails away & really hope they eventually do come up with something just as spectacular- but all of these character meet & greets running around and waving are becoming pretty lame.

So let's hope that once funds open up, they really do start realizing that things have been going downhill and will start investing more to the shows and parades that they used to have and were well known for.

Comment

• Fukai
                        Resident of the Caldera
                        • Jul 2008

They have no reason to spend more money on entertainment: they just broke attendance records. From what I can suss out, there is nothing near ready to announce other than that dumb Stitch space waster going into the Captain EO theater.

Comment

• Roger55
                          • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Fukai View Post
                          They have no reason to spend more money on entertainment: they just broke attendance records.
                          Exactly my point. As long as people keep flocking to TDR in record numbers, there is no motivation for OLC to increase the entertainment budget. Cutting the budget every year hasn't had any negative effect on attendance and the bottom line so why not keep cutting?

Don't expect any changes until attendance trends downwards for several years in a row. And by the looks of things lately, that isn't very likely.

The lower quality entertainment is probably here to stay.

Comment

• Duyanh92
                            MiceChatter
                            • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Roger55 View Post
                            Exactly my point. As long as people keep flocking to TDR in record numbers, there is no motivation for OLC to increase the entertainment budget. Cutting the budget every year hasn't had any negative effect on attendance and the bottom line so why not keep cutting?

Don't expect any changes until attendance trends downwards for several years in a row. And by the looks of things lately, that isn't very likely.

The lower quality entertainment is probably here to stay.
                            It's true!! As Jedimaster mentioned above. TDR is still the best Disney Resort overall.

With 1 hour of Electrical Parade each day, plus 'Once Upon A Star' and Happiness on High fireworks... There are still plenty of things to see at TDL.

Facebook
                            Instagram
                            Flickr
                            Youtube

Comment

• disfa10
                              Banned User
                              • Aug 2010

Just got in on some sources that after Legend of Mythica is Done there will be a 6 months rehab/construction in the mediterrainian harbor where as you may notice that after BraVISeaMo ended it had a long term construction to remove the steel dragon.But this time it will be intriguing because on what are they going to do with part of the harbor again?

Comment

• jedimaster7313
                                You have much to learn...
                                • Jun 2006

I wonder with the rehab what will happen to Fantasmic. I guess it will be down during that time period as well- I haven't looked into the future rehabs of the park myself.

I'm sure there will be some new daytime show- I just hope it's not the usual daytime meet and greets that seem to be the normal these days- and will be something on the level as Mythica.

I'm also disappointed since I just had to cancel my trip to Hong Kong/Japan in a few weeks since my friend is having medical problems and can't travel- so I'm upset that I'll be missing seeing Mythica a final time in person before it ends.
                                Last edited by jedimaster7313; 04-23-2014, 01:09 PM.

Comment

• Duyanh92
                                  MiceChatter
                                  • Sep 2010

Originally posted by jedimaster7313 View Post
                                  I wonder with the rehab what will happen to Fantasmic. I guess it will be down during that time period as well- I haven't looked into the future rehabs of the park myself.

I'm sure there will be some new daytime show- I just hope it's not the usual daytime meet and greets that seem to be the normal these days- and will be something on the level as Mythica.

I'm also disappointed since I just had to cancel my trip to Hong Kong/Japan in a few weeks since my friend is having medical problems and can't travel- so I'm upset that I'll be missing seeing Mythica a final time in person before it ends.
                                  It will be long 6 months of Mediterranean Harbor... But I think it wont affect Fantasmic, since I didnt see any upcoming closure for Fantasmic. But Fantasmic has already run for 3 years. I wish they gonna make an update like Dreamlights... add more floats and scenes. I dont see great engagement to Fantasmic from guests. (even lesser than the Legend).

Could anyone tell me how does it take so long to reharb the harbour? Does it have underwater tracks to guide the Legend Floats??

Facebook
                                  Instagram
                                  Flickr
                                  Youtube

Comment

• WDWFigment
                                    MiceChatter
                                    • Apr 2009

I don't see how they can feasibly do work in Mediterranean Harbor without Fantasmic going dark. I'd think that any work in there would require draining the harbor, which would cause Fantasmic to go down.

Was the Harbor drained while Fantasmic was being added?
                                    DisneyTouristBlog | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Please Visit My Travel Photography Blog, Covering Southern California and Beyond!

Comment

• TravisMT81
                                      • Jul 2007

There are no tracks for the shows, and there are no under water elements for Mythica. If they have a new show it will probably reuses the barges that the current "floats" are on so they need time to build and fit on the barges.

they will use the season shows as the harbour entertainment during the fall... And hopefully we will see a new show in 2015.

Comment

• Fukai
                                        Resident of the Caldera
                                        • Jul 2008

I'll miss Mythica. It's the only show they've had in the harbor that has really worked.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X