Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is this how OLC handles its dancers and performers?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] is this how OLC handles its dancers and performers?

well heres the link.could somebody translate it for me please and thank you.
    newsbiz.yahoo.co.jp/detail?a=20140622-00010002-biz_bj-nb

Comment

Re: is this how OLC handles its dancers and performers?

yahoo news Japan.

Comment

Originally posted by MyDisneySide94 View Post
        yahoo news Japan.
        That CAN'T be what he was asking since he went to your link to run it through a translator.

:lol:

Comment

Here is my free translation of what is written from the second part of the first page. And the article actually has three pages.

----------

[... Praise of new how and how important the cast members are...]

90% of cast and performers are so called contract workers where the contract usually gets renewed annually. Like in the past, problems in relation to the working law appeared at TDR/OLC.

Under the excuse of a renewal, OLC (or the company who hires the employees) suddenly fired some performers who have 7 to 17 year experience at park by the end of march. 8 performers affected by this founded a labor union for negotiating with OLC about this dismissal.

Until now there were two other cases were OLC was in the news for problems with the working law:

- In the year 2000 there were 1600 employees who weren't part of the national pension.
          - In 2007 it was detected after an accident, that employees who performed in the parade weren't registered at the work accident insurance. OLC stated that this was not their problem, as there was another contracting company between them and the employees. In the end the employees affected were registered at the work accident insurance.

- After that OLC started to hire performers directly, but at this point the majority of performers is still hired through middleman companies.

- The workers who had a problem in 2007 were hired directly. But the workers hired through a middleman company are still hired in one year renewing contract as independent contractors (Comment: This basically means that the middleman company is not hiring employees, but sees itself as doing business with one-man companies). Therefore they need to enter the health insurance by themselves and they are not object of the work accident and unemployment insurance (according to the union).

-According to the union, OLC has contracts with several middleman companies, this companies advertise the part time jobs, and OLC is selecting the people they want to work in the park from people presented to them and then trains them later.

- Even when is stated as independent contractor, OLC is deciding on the working times and the skill training. The independent contractors have to perform according to the script and choreography of OLC. The performers can't decide anything by themselves and improvisation is strictly forbidden. According to the union, looking at the real work, there is a high chance that the current contract is actually in the same form as a contract employment through an agency, but hidden under the cover of a independent contractor, and therefore against article 44 in the labor law.

- OLC stated that they have contracts with independent contractors on a order-serve base, and the management of the employment is not on the consumers (=OLC) side in this case, so they refuse to negotiate with the Union.

- OLC is continuing to ignore the reality, forcing people up to their exhaustion and is continuing it's change to a sweatshop. On the top of exhaustion, if you have an injury during a performance, it is your owns responsibility, and if you can't continue to work, you have to quit the job. If you get pregnant, you have to quit the job. As there is a middle company between, most people just resignate and quit the job in the end. If you want to try to contact OLC directly for advice, the boss of the middleman company calls and threatens you by saying stuff like "I lose my face in front of OLC". Although recently the economy is improving, and it has become more difficult to hire people for part time work, currently the working conditions didn't improve (Union).

- The Union hopes for an improvement of the whole work environment at TDR.

- The contract of standard employees (Comment: probably not the performers but the cast members) is also bad. In their contracts, the work days and times are not written, they receive their work dates 2 weeks in advance. This is a good contract for OLC, as they can adjust the number of employees accordingly to projected forecast of attendance etc. Obviously for the employee, this is a bad contract. "The total amount of work time in the contract and the real work time can differ a lot, you can't plan your life like that. " "Although I was planned for a 6 hour shift, I had to go home after 2 hours" "I was doing preparations for opening the park, but they said go home as there are no guests" and similar comments the union is receiving from staff; obviously OLC tries to reduces costs as much as possible.

- OLC is stating that cutting costs is important. It focuses on reducing the production costs for entertainment for the last years.

- Looking at the financial statements of OLC, the costs of goods sold were reduced drastically, within that the entertainment production costs was even more reduced. The peak of costs was in March 2009 with roughly 154 Million USD. Until March 2014, this got reduced to roughly one third, 55 Million USD. Even though the royalties to Disney were increased by 20% from 221 Million USD to 271 Million USD, this was a big cost saving. This cost cut had effect on the work environment and has also a bad influence on the performances.

- If you look at the people in parades and performance, the people participating were reduced. For Disney fans the parades are less charming and there are more complaints from dissatisfied people. For OLC, the new show (Once upon a Time) uses less people compared to other performances, which will helps them further in reducing costs (OLC).

"If you think that the Dream Land is based on sacrifices of employees, you can only say it is a nightmare".

----------------------------

Translating from Japanese is tough...

This article is actually quite representative on how larger Japanese companies treat their employees and how they try to burden as much as possible through legal and illegal ways costs on their employees. It shows so much what is wrong with working conditions in Japan. Despite those conditions at TDR, we really have to admire the people working at TDR.

Similar cases have been reported in the past from other companies and when it came to a court decision, the employer usually lost. I would bet my money that the same will happen here. Saying that performers are individual business man will not work in front of the law.

It is interesting that the cut of cost in entertainment was also mentioned. I saw the new Easter Parade last week, and it was ok but far away from the quality of the last Easter Parade. There were no emotions.

The crowd who wanted to watch the new show was huge. People were standing up until below the roof of the World Bazar. And this was on a not crowded weekday...

Comment

While appalling treatment of employees is indeed representative of many Japanese companies (both large and small), it's far from true for all of them, and it certainly was not so much the case for OLC until more recently. Sadly, OLC has descended to become what is widely regarded as one of the worst examples a of a "black (evil) company."

Long-time cast, true believers in the "magic," are burning out from the over-work/exploitation and the general lack of respect they receive from management, all while receiving insultingly low wages. They're quitting at a steady pace while new workers are being brought in at a much slower rate, placing the remaining cast in the position of being even further over-worked.

The level of exploitation/total disregard OLC is perpetrating against its employees is exceptional, even for Japan, and their greed is going to come back to bite them.

Comment

Yes, you are right, my wording is wrong. It is not limited to large companies and of course not all are bad. Still, what I see among my friends and customers, what you read in newspaper for cases like Watami is shocking. I can't believe how companies misuse their workforce and even think they are right in doing that. I think the trend started with the revision of the labor law in 2004, and more and more companies use stuff like OLC is using for reducing their costs.

Comment

I have a friend in Japan who ended up quitting her job because she wanted to take a "long vacation" (meaning a week or 2, which is the norm here in the US) and her boss would not allow it. She found a new job at another company with a more accommodating boss and later this year she's making her first visit here to America for a week so she can visit Disneyland.

Comment

Japanese companies are not nearly as liberal with vacation time as US companies (and we pale in comparison to French companies). I think the average Japanese worker gets a total of two weeks off per year, which cannot be taken consecutively.
                  Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

Comment

Working...
                  X