Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tokyo Oct Trip Report Including Some Non Disney Sights (You're Warned)

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CoasterNut
    replied
    Re: Tokyo Oct Trip Report Including Some Non Disney Sights (You're Warned)

Originally posted by Jabroniville View Post
    Cool- thanks! So the park gets famously-crowded during the "regular" season, though? Do they have something that compares to FastPass for that, or do you just do the classic Japanese thing and queue up?

Also, how many days would you recommend for each park, if you wanted to do everything? It looks like you only spent one day in each- was that enough?
    Oh boy does it get crowded during Golden Week and the summer. That 200 minute Toy Story Mania wait was short compared to those crowds! They do have Fastpasses but they go very quickly especially in the busy months.

I'd say 3 days is perfect. You could do a park a day and get everything you want to do in during the slower months, but you'll want to relax and really soak in the sights especially at Disney Sea. I'd say 3 full days is perfect.

Leave a comment:

• Jabroniville
    replied

Originally posted by CoasterNut View Post
    We had nearly no issues with the language barrier. Most folks spoke or understood limited English, those that didn't charades and pointing worked really well. Checking into the hotel we had CMs that spoke English really well so there were no issue there either. Seemed like the CMs working the shops spoke the least English but when you're buying things money is the only language needed there.

The park was very manageable when we went. We were there during their 'off season' which felt like a moderately crowded day at Disneyland. Waits were around 60 minutes or under for most rides, the only big line was Toy Story Mania which would hover around 200 minutes. We never saw the horrendous crowds that they're famous for. I'd HIGHLY recommend late September early October, the weather was beautiful and the crowds were light.
    Cool- thanks! So the park gets famously-crowded during the "regular" season, though? Do they have something that compares to FastPass for that, or do you just do the classic Japanese thing and queue up?

Also, how many days would you recommend for each park, if you wanted to do everything? It looks like you only spent one day in each- was that enough?
    Last edited by Jabroniville; 12-09-2014, 05:52 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Fukai
    replied

I always do early October for that reason.

Leave a comment:

• CoasterNut
    replied

Originally posted by Jabroniville View Post
    Nice! I'm a huge fan of Japan, and want to go there next years or the one after! DisneySea looks really cool, despite not having any of the "iconic" rides- the unique nature of the place is a big plus!

I actually went to Tokyo Disneyland in 1998, but I have VERY few memories of it, being a "too cool for Disney" teenager at the time, though the Haunted Mansion seemed cool. I don't think I went on many E-Tickets- I wonder if we just didn't have the right kind of passes (they were actually doing paid-tickets at the time that separated the attractions in terms of price).

A couple questions:
    How many issues did you have with the Language Barrier, if any? How furiously crowded was the place most of the time?
    We had nearly no issues with the language barrier. Most folks spoke or understood limited English, those that didn't charades and pointing worked really well. Checking into the hotel we had CMs that spoke English really well so there were no issue there either. Seemed like the CMs working the shops spoke the least English but when you're buying things money is the only language needed there.

The park was very manageable when we went. We were there during their 'off season' which felt like a moderately crowded day at Disneyland. Waits were around 60 minutes or under for most rides, the only big line was Toy Story Mania which would hover around 200 minutes. We never saw the horrendous crowds that they're famous for. I'd HIGHLY recommend late September early October, the weather was beautiful and the crowds were light.

Leave a comment:

• Jabroniville
    replied

Nice! I'm a huge fan of Japan, and want to go there next years or the one after! DisneySea looks really cool, despite not having any of the "iconic" rides- the unique nature of the place is a big plus!

I actually went to Tokyo Disneyland in 1998, but I have VERY few memories of it, being a "too cool for Disney" teenager at the time, though the Haunted Mansion seemed cool. I don't think I went on many E-Tickets- I wonder if we just didn't have the right kind of passes (they were actually doing paid-tickets at the time that separated the attractions in terms of price).

A couple questions:
    How many issues did you have with the Language Barrier, if any? How furiously crowded was the place most of the time?
    Last edited by Jabroniville; 11-26-2014, 09:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• hulkbox
    replied

Thanks for the excellent trip report! Brought back a lot of memories of my own trip to Tokyo and TDLR in 2007. I believe it's time for a return trip.

Leave a comment:

• Meville
    replied

A great TR for sure! Thanks so much for sharing!

Leave a comment:

• Sanstress
    replied

Thanks for a great trip report - I wish I was there and I hope you have a chance to visit TDR and Japan again soon!

Leave a comment:

• Berry Princess
    replied

Thanks for sharing your trip!!! I love the picture of the castle at night. Its so pretty. Looks like you guys had a fun time!

Leave a comment:

• brenda1966
    replied

Your camera takes beautiful photos!

sounds like a really fun trip, but fast! How many nights were you in Tokyo? And are you planning your next trip back?

Leave a comment:

• robbiem
    replied

Thank you so much for having your trip with us. It looks like you had a wonderful time in Japan and I certainl had a great time reading your report and looking at the great photos

Leave a comment:

• CoasterNut
    replied

Onwards we go! Our next stop was Tokyo Disneyland. We woke up very early and made our way over on the monorail. We were given tickets to enter the park 15 whole minutes early (doesn't sound like a lot but boy you can get a lot done in 15 minutes!). We were pleasantly surprised to see we were one of the first ones there!

We made a mad dash over to ride Monsters Inc before the park opened. Monsters was a great dark ride, makes me wish we had that instead of the Monsters Inc. ride at DCA. A word of warning, if you're 6ft or above RIDE ALONE. My 6' 4" friend and my 6' self initially rode together and we were CRAMMED. After a while it actually got pretty painful, there is zero leg room in those cars.

Next we high tailed it to ride Pooh's Hunny Hunt. Everything you've heard about this ride is correct. It's defintiely one of my favorite dark rides of all time. The trackless system adds a bit of variety to it so you're never quite sure where you're going to go next. And the bouncing scene! So simple and so effective. Of course the highlight is the Pooh dream sequence. After we rode Pooh we got off and wanted to get a Fastpass. Now mind you this is about 30 minutes after park opening and here's the Fastpass distribution sign.

6:40PM in half an hour! Holy cow!

We went around Fantasyland riding some rides, nothing really stood out. We went on Haunted Mansion Holiday which felt very similar to DL's. Fun ride that was like a 'best of' Disneyland and Disney World Haunted Mansion.

We had seen the Mark Twain pulling into the dock and decided to hop aboard. As we were coming around I was able to snap this picture which I just love.

As we made our way around to Adventureland we saw this line.

What could this be for you ask? Do they have some new E-Ticket? Well I'll tell you it was the Jungle Cruise! It was newly refurbished with some neat digital mapping technology in the temple scene. It was a fun ride but not worth the 3 hour wait time! While in line they did have some very funny signs like this one that made me chuckle.

We decided to get some breakfast at this point. I couldn't help but get a Mike "Melon Bread". Extremely cute.

As we approached the castle we noticed rows and rows and rows of seats in front of the castle, what could this be for? Is there some special event going on?

No, it's reserved seating you can get for the castle projection show. You enter a lottery each day to win tickets to the showing. We tried our luck and got one!

Back to castle pictures.

And next up was Space Mountain. I was pleased to see the speedramp still in operation. I miss this!

Different space ship design in the queue.

The ride was fun. Exactly the same as DL without the music.

I was feeling a pit peckish and wanted a snack. We came across a cart with a really long line. I had no idea what it was but hey, maybe if it has this long of a line it's good? Whatever it was it came in either chocolate or sweet potato. I ordered chocolate and this is what I got, sorry for the blur.

It was pretty much a chocolate lava cake stick. Liquid hot chocolate on the inside, the outside was sorta like a crunchy stale cake. Not horrible but not particularly good.

We went through Toontown next. I had seen flavored popcorn's throughout our trip and each time there was always a gigantic line. This time I stopped to take a picture. I know Japanese folks love their flavored popcorn but look at this line!

At some point I actually bought some chocolate popcorn. I was not a big fan.

We made another loop and hit our favorites again. As the day drew on we ended up having dinner at the burger place in Tomorrowland and I had a burger, fries, and chicken nuggets.

A word of caution, DONT EVER GET THIS The burger was truly nasty. Fries were tasty and the chicken nuggets tasted like something you'd get at Carl's Jr.

I wanted to see the Electrical Parade so we found a good spot. I have to say I miss this show so much! The highlight was the Genie float. He changed into different outfits and designs. His Mr. Incredible one was my favorite.

We then saw the castle projection show which was really cool, although more fire always could make a show better.

I spent the rest of the night taking pictures.

We were leaving for the airport the next day so we decided to turn in. The next morning we went over to DisneySea again to do some shopping. We got there about 1 hour after opening and saw this at Midway Mania.

Yes in one short hour the fastpasses are gone and the wait is 200 minutes, wow!

We then had to say our goodbyes to Disney and took a bus to the airport. Since we were in Premium Economy we got to use the lounge at the airport which was really nice. Free food and drinks too!

We started the long flight back already missing all the wonders of Tokyo. It truly was a special trip and one I'll never forget. The people in Japan are so welcoming and friendly it made our trip really great. Thanks again to everyone that offered advice and answered all of my questions. It's people like you that make our trips wonderful. Thanks again!

I'm also happy to answer any questions. I still can't stop talking about our trip.

Leave a comment:

• Duyanh92
    replied

Originally posted by CoasterNut View Post
    Glad youre enjoying it! We were there September 25th through October 4th. Weather was great, 70-80s every day and only one day if light rain. We just narrowly avoided the typhoon!
    Wow, I was there at that time as well. The weather was super fine for a week. If you stay until the typhoon it would be so much cooler. I rode the Jungle Cruise in the night before the storm and it was so so cool. Heavy rain and windy. and you could have your own cruise.

Originally posted by Fukai View Post
    Do you ever have the Yakiniku at Toraji? Ate there the other night and it was fantastic.
    Yes, it was really a mouth-watering beef. I think I need to eat something healthier. I mostly eat high marbled score/ Wagyu beef everyweek.

Leave a comment:

• CoasterNut
    replied

Originally posted by brenda1966 View Post
    Loving your trip report and photos! Can't wait to see more.
    Just curious, What were the dates of your visit?
    Glad youre enjoying it! We were there September 25th through October 4th. Weather was great, 70-80s every day and only one day if light rain. We just narrowly avoided the typhoon!

Leave a comment:

• jcruise86
    replied

Thanks for sharing all those excellent photos!

Leave a comment:

• brenda1966
    replied

Loving your trip report and photos! Can't wait to see more.
    Just curious, What were the dates of your visit?

Leave a comment:

• robbiem
    replied

Great photos and trip report, can't wai for part 3

Leave a comment:

• Fukai
    replied

Do you ever have the Yakiniku at Toraji? Ate there the other night and it was fantastic.

Leave a comment:

• Duyanh92
    replied

Yeah, that is a great place too. I love the Sukiyaki there. There are so many delicious restaurants in Ikspiari.

Leave a comment:

• Fukai
    replied

I'm at the resort right now. Been eating a lot of shabu-shabu at Imahan in Ikspiari.

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X