X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: TDR's future!

Originally posted by Irishfan View Post
    >>- The assemblage of buildings and water-feature replacing Tomorrowland Terrace is the biggest question mark. I suppose parade-viewing dining could be part of it (an assemblage of retail/dining/M&G buildings, but the trees/landscape found within it (and the waterfall above it) are not indicative of a restaurant requiring significant kitchen space.<<

I was under the impression that this area was the Frozen zone of the project?
    No! I think it would be the Plaza Pavillion Restaurant at Westernland or Crystal Palace at Adventureland!

Visit my pages (Nikkoap92) for lots of pictures from Tokyo Disney Resort ^_^

Facebook
    Instagram
    Flickr
    Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Duyanh92 View Post
      No! I think it would be the Plaza Pavillion Restaurant at Westernland or Crystal Palace at Adventureland!
      I agree... the artwork details (like the wall lamp) indicate a late Victorian setting.

Originally posted by Irishfan View Post

I was under the impression that this area was the Frozen zone of the project?
      If that area were the Frozen ride, I think you'd see something like the Arendelle castle or Ice Palace/mountain accentuated (just as Beast's Castle, Alice or Small World are). Even the village bears only a slight resemblance to Arendelle.

Signs point to Frozen going in DisneySea (i.e., this artwork shows no distinct Frozen landmarks).
      Last edited by RandySavage; 10-31-2014, 06:47 AM.

Comment

For the new restaurant viewing- I sort am leaning towards where the new mysterious village is- I'm just wondering if that is just a redress of the Current Tomorrowland Terrace- The village itself, from a distance could be a visual buildup to Beast Castle when walking across the bridge. It won't make much sense after that.

I'm only thinking this because the Tomorrowland Terrace was closest to the actual parade route- The Crystal Palace & Plaza are a little further off the hub and parade route. Also, from the concept art- it looks like the diners are viewing the parade from above and not at street level- which also looks to me to be viewing from the original Tomorrowland Terrace restaurant area.

Frozen in TDS, while isn't the most desirable location, they do have more space there than the available space in TDL- and like what has been pointed out, none of the concept art looks like anything that would resemble Arendale or anything else from the film.

It is in an odd area in TDS & being close to Lost River Delta wouldn't make much sense either- but it is one of the few areas available in TDS to expand, other than taking more of the parking lot away on the other side near Sinbad- It would fit in better there since that portion of TDS is more themed towards the animated movies.

Comment

Originally posted by Asa View Post
          Who really owns the theme park rights to the DC and Marvel comic characters?

Robert Niles of Theme Park Insider said Marvel is not allowed in Disney Parks in Japan, because the rights there belongs to Universal (who has the Spider-Man ride in Osaka). Similar to the Orlando situation.
          Oh right, totally forgot about that.

Comment

Would they be getting rid of Pooh's Hunny Hunt?
            Keep your hands, arms, feet, and legs, inside the vehicle at all times.

Comment

Pooh's Hunny Hunt is the most popular ride in the park--it's not going anywhere.

It would be a pity of Frozen is indeed the new port in DisneySea. The fit in Tokyo Disneyland is much better.

These changes, at least what we now know of them (which is a lot of "not much") surprise me because OLC is apparently not making use of the rear portion of the parking lot where the two parks converge. I was there on a black Sunday a few weeks ago--with the park at capacity and closed to admittance, and there was not a single car parked in the rear portion of the lot. They don't need that land for parking, so why not expand into it? It doesn't make sense to me to reduce the footprint of Tomorrowland in order to expand Fantasyland, when there is other virgin land to be used for that purpose.

As to why there is no talk of more Star Wars coming to Tokyo Disneyland, I imagine the answer might be that even after its upgrade to the new version, Star Tours has one of the shorter lines in the park.

The Fantasyland expansion locks in Tomorrowland to an even smaller footprint, a big chunk of which they just gave to the weak Stitch Encounter attraction. Unless they have some long-term idea for Tomorrowland starting about 5 years out, they've really boxed themselves in. I can't see any of the attractions going away in 2022, except for that Stitch Encounter, which might just be a place holder for something else 7 years out.

I didn't know that OLC is locked out of using Marvel. That is the worst news I've heard in a long time, because they're the only ones who would really spend the money necessary to make the best Marvel attractions possible. I wonder when Universal Studios Japan is going to start adding more Marvel attractions. If they have the option, they'd be stupid not to use it.
              Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

Comment

We'll just have to see about IASW. I figure the ride is popular enough if they're seriously considering moving it as opposed to tearing it out altogether. The only reason it's being done is to locate the AiW ride with the other AiW attractions. It would be easier to relocate the AiW stuff they already got instead.

I'm very certain that this won't be the final product. Some of these plans are bound to change but hopefully the vision they have for the park will be just as good.

The only downside to having Frozenland be the new port at TDS is that the location kinda kills the transition in theming. It would feel rather off to walk from a tropical jungle straight into a snow kingdom.

Comment

This analysis by ex-Disney Imagineer Mark Hickson is quite precise:
                  http://www.disneybymark.com/2014/10/...yo-disneyland/
                  Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Fukai View Post

These changes, at least what we now know of them (which is a lot of "not much") surprise me because OLC is apparently not making use of the rear portion of the parking lot where the two parks converge. I was there on a black Sunday a few weeks ago--with the park at capacity and closed to admittance, and there was not a single car parked in the rear portion of the lot. They don't need that land for parking, so why not expand into it? It doesn't make sense to me to reduce the footprint of Tomorrowland in order to expand Fantasyland, when there is other virgin land to be used for that purpose.
                    You are right, the parking lot always has no cars there. I thought they will use the parking lot in both DisneySea and Disneyland expansion. Maybe the backstage for the Belle village and IASW will take a part of the parking lot. It seems that they already get rid of Glacier Bay. After the Fantasyland expansion, the Tomorrowland will be cut in half with 3 big buildings (Space Mt, StarTours, Monsters so it will be impossible for further expansion.

Visit my pages (Nikkoap92) for lots of pictures from Tokyo Disney Resort ^_^

Facebook
                    Instagram
                    Flickr
                    Youtube

Comment

I think you'll have Lost River Delta in the middle of Frozen on one side and Ariels Undersea Kingdom (Mermaid Lagoon) on the other. They already broke the mold with MM. Frozen is just another Disney property that "fits" whats already there. Barely.
                      Mark

Disney parks and art, movies, music, more... Over 1, 500 Posts!
                      www.InsightsandSounds.blogspot.com

Comment

WOW!!!! I am impressed with the new offerings! :O
                        Will the old fantasy land will receive new facade designs (The castle courtyard area)?

Comment

I think Frozen fits nicely. What is more Sea/Port than a fjord with a castle on its banks? What am I missing that all those saying it isn't a fit see?

Comment

Originally posted by Duyanh92 View Post
                            But it seems that TDL will not be larger in anyway. They only use the existing land. And Fantasyland will be located with few step to Tomorrowland, just like Mystic Point, and Toy Story Land.
                            It may be roughly the same size chunk of land (like others, I'm a bit surprised they aren't expanding into the parking lot), but it makes much better use of space than the current layout, so it should have a very positive effect on capacity.

Only Disneyland Paris gets Tomorrowland right, and theirs isn't even technically Tomorrowland. Conceptually, it's one of my favorite lands, but I just don't see the concept ever again succeeding in any of the parks, especially Tokyo. Given that, I don't mind the footprint of Tomorrowland shrinking. Its popular attractions are already too thematically disjointed. Really, the best we can hope for is TDL doing some placemaking and going for a cohesive aesthetic. Judging by the extent of the scrims around the Captain EO building, maybe that's exactly what's going to happen.

I'm fine with 'Frozen' in Tokyo DisneySea, and although I think it's a perfect thematic fit, I can understand why others don't want more 'toons in TDS, as it takes it further away from the original vision for the park. My ideal scenario would have the port be Glacier Bay, with the main draw being a Frozen attraction (or 2) but with thematic elements, etc., that go beyond Frozen. Sort of like how Lost River Delta isn't simply "Indiana Jones Land."
                            DisneyTouristBlog | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Please Visit My Travel Photography Blog, Covering Southern California and Beyond!

Comment

Originally posted by WDWFigment View Post

I'm fine with 'Frozen' in Tokyo DisneySea, and although I think it's a perfect thematic fit, I can understand why others don't want more 'toons in TDS, as it takes it further away from the original vision for the park. My ideal scenario would have the port be Glacier Bay, with the main draw being a Frozen attraction (or 2) but with thematic elements, etc., that go beyond Frozen. Sort of like how Lost River Delta isn't simply "Indiana Jones Land."
                              Actually one of the things I like about Tokyo DisneySea is that it has the right mixture of original ideas and intellectual property. Even though they have lands devoted to The Little Mermaid and Aladdin, the properties blend into their respective lands without the screaming "you're in their movie world". I'm sure they'll be able pull off a land devoted to Frozen in a similar fashion. Also I am thankful that they didn't call the lands "The Little Mermaid land" and "Aladdin land". The characters work with the theme and not the other way around as it's done in the U.S. parks.

Comment

I agree on expanding into the parking lot, but that does not actually preclude doing so in the future. Let me snowball a different idea for a moment...

It's possible they could use a large portion of the current bus parking lot for a StarWars mini land with guest pathway access between Star Tours and Space Mountain. They could send more parking to the currently rather unused lot, which does have better access to Bayside Station. It seems smarter to keep the parking lot on the monorail stop and just shift more guests towards it.

Not that using the back parking area is impossible, but it is rather cut off by Toontown still. It would require a very circumferential guest pathway through the current Speedway and would be a very long walk from the park entrance. Utilizing the bus parking in behind Star Tours/Space Mountain expands the park, but doesn't actually make an area that's further away from the Hub/Entrance than the current park has.

If any parking lot needs to be removed for TDS, start with the small cutout between Sheraton/8th Port, although a slight Monorail re-routing is required.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	7357299
                                Last edited by BrianLo; 11-01-2014, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianLo View Post
                                  I agree on expanding into the parking lot, but that does not actually preclude doing so in the future. Let me snowball a different idea for a moment...

It's possible they could use a large portion of the current bus parking lot for a StarWars mini land with guest pathway access between Star Tours and Space Mountain. They could send more parking to the currently rather unused lot, which does have better access to Bayside Station. It seems smarter to keep the parking lot on the monorail stop and just shift more guests towards it.

Not that using the back parking area is impossible, but it is rather cut off by Toontown still. It would require a very circumferential guest pathway through the current Speedway and would be a very long walk from the park entrance. Utilizing the bus parking in behind Star Tours/Space Mountain expands the park, but doesn't actually make an area that's further away from the Hub/Entrance than the current park has.

If any parking lot needs to be removed for TDS, start with the small cutout between Sheraton/8th Port, although a slight Monorail re-routing is required.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]39340[/ATTACH]
                                  i could see this happening expand Fantasyland into part of the existing tomorrowland and expand or rebuild tomorrowland (through Star Wars or something else) into the parking lot behind - the best of both worlds (or lands��)

Comment

Originally posted by toonaspie View Post
                                    Actually one of the things I like about Tokyo DisneySea is that it has the right mixture of original ideas and intellectual property. Even though they have lands devoted to The Little Mermaid and Aladdin, the properties blend into their respective lands without the screaming "you're in their movie world". I'm sure they'll be able pull off a land devoted to Frozen in a similar fashion. Also I am thankful that they didn't call the lands "The Little Mermaid land" and "Aladdin land". The characters work with the theme and not the other way around as it's done in the U.S. parks.
                                    this is so right, especially with Arabian Coast and Lost River Delta Yes AC is based on Aladdin but having Sindbad and the winding streets mean you never feel you're in a a inmates movie, similarly the hanger stage, cantina and rollercoaster in LRD mean you don't feel it's just set dressing for Indy but more like an alternate Adventureland.

A scandanavian port would be a good fit for TDS. So long as Frozen is balanced with other offerings to round out the theme it would be a good addition - we could always get a Japanese Malestrom or Thor ride (assuming the IPR rides work out) & is love to see a Viking duffy outfit

Comment

This analysis by ex-Disney Imagineer Mark Hickson is quite precise:
                                      http://www.disneybymark.com/2014/10/...yo-disneyland/
                                      My only ever so slight quibble with the article: (referring to the new Alice area) "Dont be surprised to see this show incorporating the new trackless ride vehicles now in use at Hong King Disneyland’s Phantom Manor."

One-two punch of screwing up the name and not recognizing it's next door to Hunny Hunt... Although I hope they love the trackless tech enough to use it again.

Comment

My only ever so slight quibble with the article: (referring to the new Alice area) "Dont be surprised to see this show incorporating the new trackless ride vehicles now in use at Hong King Disneyland’s Phantom Manor."

One-two punch of screwing up the name and not recognizing it's next door to Hunny Hunt... Although I hope they love the trackless tech enough to use it again.
                                        While Hunny Hunt and Mystic Manor are both "trackless" they do not share the same trackless technology.

And don't forget that there is trackless technology at TDS.

Comment

My only ever so slight quibble with the article: (referring to the new Alice area) "Phantom Manor."

While Hunny Hunt and Mystic Manor are both "trackless" they do not share the same trackless technology.

And don't forget that there is trackless technology at TDS.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X