• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• theconjurer
    replied
    Re: TDR's future!

Originally posted by DLcub View Post
    Disney movie (the original, not the Tim Burton one) and probably in my top ten list of movies in any category.
    However, there is something that just doesn't make sense to me concerning the Alice/Small World project.

To me it seems strange that, despite OLC's relatively deep pockets, they would spend money on first tearing down the current version of IASW, only to spend even more money on rebuilding it just a few yards away.

Thats the thing, it makes alot of sense, IASW is one of the least popular attractions in TDL, it literally has become a strollers graveyard, Queues most of the time are around less than 10 minutes to 15 at the most. thats why fantasyland feels cramped because the space allocated to IASW Is usually empty/ not utilised by park goers, this expansion does make alot of sense since congestion now will be spread out instead of having a cramped fantasyland, and Alice in Wonderland is a very popular property in Japan as I mentioned its a big merchandice seller and having its merchandice conentrated for sale in an ALIce theme area would be a gold mine, people go nuts on anything even resembling the cheshire cat.

IASW does feel quite dated and I can see the merit of having it updated and make it a little more fancier with a restaurant and other additions. I mean what doesnt make sense is having fantasyland feel so cramped all for the sake of a ride that doesnt attract many people anyways and is currently only there (taking up a lot of space) for the sake of nostalgia and long time Disney enthusiasts.

Leave a comment:

• Imagineer45
    replied

Originally posted by DLcub View Post
    To me it seems strange that, despite OLC's relatively deep pockets, they would spend money on first tearing down the current version of IASW, only to spend even more money on rebuilding it just a few yards away.

At this point, should they decide to go with the Alice attraction and not axe it entirely, which I'm afraid is still a possibility at this early stage, it wouldn't surprise me if they decide to swap places with it and IASW, keeping Small World in it's current location and erecting an Alice mini land/attraction where the Grand Circuit Raceway currently sits.

It could also be that I'm wrong and that the decision to rebuild IASW comes from an initiative to attempt to modernize the classic attraction, at which point it would have to be rebuilt from the ground up anyway.
    Because they are simply moving the ride, it does not cost too much money, and OLC has the money and means to do as they please. If they think IaSW is better 100 feet/yards/whatever east/west/whatever, then it will be moved. They only have to build a new show building, as all of the current facades, props, etc. can simply be moved.

They probably will modernize it a bit, but not in a way that makes if different, but in a way that makes it better.

Leave a comment:

• DLcub
    replied

I want to start off by saying that no one would be happier than me if they built an Alice In Wonderland ride. It's my favorite Disney movie (the original, not the Tim Burton one) and probably in my top ten list of movies in any category.
    However, there is something that just doesn't make sense to me concerning the Alice/Small World project.

This move only makes sense if it were in an effort to maintain the artistic cohesion of having the Alice ride next to the Alice restaurant and Tea Cup spinner, but even then it seems like an unusually frivolous waste of resources, especially considering that TDL's Fantasyland is and will remain somewhat hodge-podge-y.

It will be a lot better once this makeover is finished, but at this point there still doesn't seem to be any plans for a gate between Fantasyland and Tomorrowland, or any focus on creating a convincing transition between the two conceptually opposing lands, which has always been one of the main issues for me concerning that area.

I'm also on the fence on whether or not Haunted Mansion actually fits in it's designated corner of Fantasyland. Hopefully there will be some focus on integrating it more into it's thematic environment.

At this point, should they decide to go with the Alice attraction and not axe it entirely, which I'm afraid is still a possibility at this early stage, it wouldn't surprise me if they decide to swap places with it and IASW, keeping Small World in it's current location and erecting an Alice mini land/attraction where the Grand Circuit Raceway currently sits.

It could also be that I'm wrong and that the decision to rebuild IASW comes from an initiative to attempt to modernize the classic attraction, at which point it would have to be rebuilt from the ground up anyway.

That could actually be pretty cool, and the IASW facade would look a lot better sitting next to Space Mountain than the fantastical forest of Alice In Wonderland would, but at this point there are still many things that can change from what we're seeing in this one and only picture to what will end up actually being built.

As long as we get an Alice attraction though I am extremely happy!

Leave a comment:

• Roger55
    replied

Originally posted by Asa View Post
    All that we have seen are Pooh's Hunny Hunt, Mystic Manor and Ratatouille. There must be more.
    We already have seen more. Aquatopia at TDS is also trackless.

Originally posted by theconjurer View Post
    Park hopping is allowed only when you purchase three or four day tickets, You have to choose one park for the first day and then another park for the second day, then on day 3 and or 4 you're allowed to park hop as much as you please.
    Small correction. You pick one park to go to each of the first two days. You can choose to go to the same park both days. You don't have to choose another park for the second day.

Leave a comment:

• Asa
    replied

Actually DisneySea is the perfect setting for a Pirates of a Caribbean ride or show. With the fifth movie coming up, I can see WDC pushing OLC to take it up. (Reduced royalties is always good.) A Pirates Battle Show in the harbour?

Leave a comment:

• theconjurer
    replied

Originally posted by Baloo View Post
    I am not familiar with the ticketing system in Tokyo but does the resort have park hopping media?

the reason I ask is because that area behind Toontown would make the perfect spot for a gate that connects both parks and allow park hopping without having to take the transportation system.

Also i think that a hotel would fit perfectly in the parking lot behind the new location for Iasw. They can again build it so that hotel guests have the extra advantage of walking to both parks thru an exclusive entrance
    Park hopping is allowed only when you purchase three or four day tickets, You have to choose one park for the first day and then another park for the second day, then on day 3 and or 4 you're allowed to park hop as much as you please.

I dont think they'll do that because that would reduce the usage of the monorail which is currently a cash cow for OLC!

Leave a comment:

• Asa
    replied

Originally posted by Fukai View Post
    By the way, someone earlier in this thread mentioned that Mystic Manor is exclusive to Hong Kong Disneyland until 2018. There's lots of room within the time-frame given in the official press release: these plans are going to be implemented "over the next ten years ( fiscal year 2014 through fiscal year 2023)." That would allow them to easily add Mystic Manor, and I sure wish they would.
    I am sure WDI will find something for TDS if it wants another trackless ride that fits the Lost River Delta theme. Mystic Manor is not the only thing WDI can offer.

When WDC was in negotiation with HK govt about HKDL expansion back in 2009, they told the media they have lots of ride designs in WDI waiting to be built.

All that we have seen are Pooh's Hunny Hunt, Mystic Manor and Ratatouille. There must be more.

Leave a comment:

• theconjurer
    replied

I'm always amazed when people declare that Tokyo DisneySea is the best theme park in the world. It's certainly a beautiful and immersive place, however it's very short in the ride department. Even on a hugely busy Sunday with some very long lines (all of which were avoided), three weeks ago I was able to guide two friends and myself through virtually every attraction and show except the kiddie rides in Mermaid Lagoon (though we did visit it see the shadow room in Ariel's Playground), Mystic Rhythms, and Toy Story Mania. We didn't rush except at opening.

You certainly can't do that on a very busy day at Tokyo Disneyland, Disneyland in Anaheim, or the Magic Kingdom in Orlando.

So, yes, Port Discovery definitely needs an addition. But there's no place to put it. That I'm aware of, unless something small can go to the left of Stormrider. Not sure how much room is there.

It has been written that there's space for a dark ride inside the lower level of the S.S. Columbia (sounds odd to me, but the person doing the writing was working at Imagineering at the time).

WDI had planned to put Soarin' in where the Roman aqueduct wall is even before the park opened, but that has been repeatedly delayed. Soarin has a big footprint.

I think DisneySea is great, but for the most part it is not a two-day park, even though I often spend two days there out of five, but it should be a two-day park. The new port might tip it into two full days when you add the things we left out in our day to whatever the new attractions are in the Frozen port. (There is also no afternoon harbor show at the moment.) But it really needs more attractions.

During my time spent there ( and I loved every minute) I did note that so much more can be done for the park.

ArabianCoast is one of my favorite themed ports and I almost always end up at Kasabah food court for lunch but the area needs a star attraction something to differentiate it from the over abundance of spinners and merry go rounds, I usually end up spending most of my time in Abu's Bazzar playing those fair ground games.

Leave a comment:

• Baloo
    replied

I am not familiar with the ticketing system in Tokyo but does the resort have park hopping media?

the reason I ask is because that area behind Toontown would make the perfect spot for a gate that connects both parks and allow park hopping without having to take the transportation system.

Also i think that a hotel would fit perfectly in the parking lot behind the new location for Iasw. They can again build it so that hotel guests have the extra advantage of walking to both parks thru an exclusive entrance

Leave a comment:

• Fukai
    replied

I'm always amazed when people declare that Tokyo DisneySea is the best theme park in the world. It's certainly a beautiful and immersive place, however it's very short in the ride department. Even on a hugely busy Sunday with some very long lines (all of which were avoided), three weeks ago I was able to guide two friends and myself through virtually every attraction and show except the kiddie rides in Mermaid Lagoon (though we did visit it see the shadow room in Ariel's Playground), Mystic Rhythms, and Toy Story Mania. We didn't rush except at opening.

You certainly can't do that on a very busy day at Tokyo Disneyland, Disneyland in Anaheim, or the Magic Kingdom in Orlando.

So, yes, Port Discovery definitely needs an addition. But there's no place to put it. That I'm aware of, unless something small can go to the left of Stormrider. Not sure how much room is there.

It has been written that there's space for a dark ride inside the lower level of the S.S. Columbia (sounds odd to me, but the person doing the writing was working at Imagineering at the time).

WDI had planned to put Soarin' in where the Roman aqueduct wall is even before the park opened, but that has been repeatedly delayed. Soarin has a big footprint.

I think DisneySea is great, but for the most part it is not a two-day park, even though I often spend two days there out of five, but it should be a two-day park. The new port might tip it into two full days when you add the things we left out in our day to whatever the new attractions are in the Frozen port. (There is also no afternoon harbor show at the moment.) But it really needs more attractions.

By the way, someone earlier in this thread mentioned that Mystic Manor is exclusive to Hong Kong Disneyland until 2018. There's lots of room within the time-frame given in the official press release: these plans are going to be implemented "over the next ten years ( fiscal year 2014 through fiscal year 2023)." That would allow them to easily add Mystic Manor, and I sure wish they would.

I have not seen Frozen, but assume that the castle is a big deal. If they're going to build said large castle in that empty parcel of land to the left of Indy, what's to prevent it from being visible from parts of both Lost River Delta and Port Discovery? (I realize that Tower of Terror is visible from all sorts of places it should not be in DisneySea, but why repeat that error?) It's sure not going to look good having a castle in view of Indy's Mayan temple.
    Last edited by Fukai; 11-02-2014, 07:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• robbiem
    replied

Originally posted by theconjurer View Post
    Port Discovery is also in desperate need of a new attraction as well, I would hope for something along the lines of a splash mountain type of ride.

I’m excited to see what OLC has planned, can’t wait for detailed announcements.
    i agree port discovery needs an addition. The aquatopia is one of my favourite rides in the park - yes it's simple but it's just so fun to ride. Storm rider I'm not a huge fan of its done well but just feels like a ride you'd find anywhere rather than in Disney & the electric railway is nice but the land really needs something else to complete it. Something time travel related might be a good fit.

Leave a comment:

• Hathaway Browne
    replied

I know its not the same, but I wonder if they're looking to co-produce some elements for both the Tokyo and EPCOT Frozen attractions?

Not saying that TDS is going to get a version of the Maelstrom, but it'd make sense to reduce costs on any ride specific items that can be made in bulk.

Leave a comment:

• theconjurer
    replied

Wow just wanted to commend everybody on pooling and sharing of resources over here, I think most of the renovation of Fantasyland has been figured out including potentially Frozen will not be featured in TDL but instead in TDS.

Now the mystery village could either be as they mentioned Snow White related with the rocky/hilly area being the Seven Dwarves Mines or

It could be something related to Tangled, its very popular in Japan, in fact I surveyed all the Disney Princess merchandise and apart from Frozen, Tangled also was a huge seller even the princess key ring figurines were almost out.

As for TDS

Leave a comment:

• MyDisneySide94
    replied

One interesting info from dpost.jp.
    suggest that this new fantasyland at Tokyo Disneyland was supposed to begin in 2012 as part of OLC 50th anniversary celebration but due to tge earthquake it was postponed and was set to open at the 30th anniversary celebration,and more interesting info this artwork was created in 2010 and a joined project with Orlando's Fantasyland expansion.
    there is much more into this story in dpost.jp

Leave a comment:

• Mondo Mouse
    replied

This analysis by ex-Disney Imagineer Mark Hickson is quite precise:
    http://www.disneybymark.com/2014/10/...yo-disneyland/
    Yeah that's a pretty good assessment about OLC incorporating rides that have already proved popular.

I don't know where he go the idea that the "Mistery Village" (by the way, Mark needs to learn how to spell) might be a facade for the "Seven Dwarfs iron ride." However, it will be interesting to see what that whole area in intended to be. I really hope we get more details about the whole project soon.

Leave a comment:

• gurgi
    replied

Very interesting information, indeed! It's really about time that TDL's Fantasyland got a facelift. It's the most dated of the MK style parks. With news that the existing facades will be themed to the new area, that will make the land look really great.

Some quibbles with that ex-imagineer's blog post. He seems to think the Alice attraction will be themed to the Tim Burton movie? Well, why does the artwork reflect the animated one instead? Also, even though both are Alice, it would be jarring to have the Burton ride next to the Queen of Hearts Banquet Hall. So, I really think that all of it will be the animated Alice. And...that means finally, there will be another darkride or something like it! Disneyland in CA has had the only one for almost 60 years now.

He also seems to put restaurants willy-nilly. Like several of you have said, it really looks like the "village" that is taking over the Tomorrowland Terrace area could be a replacement restaurant. So, with that, and with Queen of Hearts not too far away, would they really also add Be Our Guest restaurant, as well as "fine dining" about It's a Small World? I'm really not sure about that. It would seem that if they do add one more eatery, it will just be one of the big ones. Not really sure about IASW...the building does look big, and that (what looks like glass) canopy roof could mean there is a restaurant up there...maybe. So, then BATB would be an attraction instead of restaurant. That's exciting.

Another minor thing is the Dumbo move. Finally it will be away from Haunted Mansion, and the weird juxtaposition of those two attractions within sight-lines of each other will be gone. I do hope that they upgrade the mechanism to at least the DLP/DL version with double capacity, since they aren't adding double spinners like MK did.

It also looks like there will be a cluster of shops & small food-service locations between the BATB area and the new Parade terrace restaurant. Either that, or maybe they added a small meet 'n greet. Although...I had a scary thought. Randy mentioned above about the groupings of gold roofs that look like queue coverings for an attraction. I sincerely hope the new Beast Castle is an attraction and not actually the big Princess Fairytale Hall. But...then since it's specifically Beast's castle, maybe that won't happen.

Anyway, Frozen at TDS works for me if they do it right. Since Glacier Bay was rumored for ages, it makes sense that another snow themed port would go there. That's not the problem. I think many have issues with those characters going in there. Granted, I'm not a huge fan of the movie like most of the world seems to be, but if done right, it could look great. A friend of mine said that Arendele made him think of TDS when he saw the movie, and felt like the colors and theming match very well. It would not be ideal to add more characters there, but if they're going to do it, Frozen seems to be a better fit than Pixar for sure. If they don't blanket the port with snow, but just have bits leading up to the attractions, it might blend better. What would be smart is if OLC paid for R&D and Disney used any new tech for the Maelstrom upgrade, but I digress.

Leave a comment:

• Roger55
    replied

Originally posted by BrianLo View Post
    My only ever so slight quibble with the article: (referring to the new Alice area) "Phantom Manor."

One-two punch of screwing up the name and not recognizing it's next door to Hunny Hunt... Although I hope they love the trackless tech enough to use it again.
    While Hunny Hunt and Mystic Manor are both "trackless" they do not share the same trackless technology.

And don't forget that there is trackless technology at TDS.

Leave a comment:

• Roger55
    replied

Originally posted by BrianLo View Post
    My only ever so slight quibble with the article: (referring to the new Alice area) "Dont be surprised to see this show incorporating the new trackless ride vehicles now in use at Hong King Disneyland’s Phantom Manor."

One-two punch of screwing up the name and not recognizing it's next door to Hunny Hunt... Although I hope they love the trackless tech enough to use it again.
    While Hunny Hunt and Mystic Manor are both "trackless" they do not share the same trackless technology.

And don't forget that there is trackless technology at TDS.

Leave a comment:

• BrianLo
    replied

This analysis by ex-Disney Imagineer Mark Hickson is quite precise:
    http://www.disneybymark.com/2014/10/...yo-disneyland/
    My only ever so slight quibble with the article: (referring to the new Alice area) "Dont be surprised to see this show incorporating the new trackless ride vehicles now in use at Hong King Disneyland’s Phantom Manor."

Leave a comment:

• robbiem
    replied

Originally posted by toonaspie View Post
    Actually one of the things I like about Tokyo DisneySea is that it has the right mixture of original ideas and intellectual property. Even though they have lands devoted to The Little Mermaid and Aladdin, the properties blend into their respective lands without the screaming "you're in their movie world". I'm sure they'll be able pull off a land devoted to Frozen in a similar fashion. Also I am thankful that they didn't call the lands "The Little Mermaid land" and "Aladdin land". The characters work with the theme and not the other way around as it's done in the U.S. parks.
    this is so right, especially with Arabian Coast and Lost River Delta Yes AC is based on Aladdin but having Sindbad and the winding streets mean you never feel you're in a a inmates movie, similarly the hanger stage, cantina and rollercoaster in LRD mean you don't feel it's just set dressing for Indy but more like an alternate Adventureland.

A scandanavian port would be a good fit for TDS. So long as Frozen is balanced with other offerings to round out the theme it would be a good addition - we could always get a Japanese Malestrom or Thor ride (assuming the IPR rides work out) & is love to see a Viking duffy outfit

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X