X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Tokyo Disney - Pooh Closure and travel advice

Hi, first time poster here.
    My partner and I are planning on a trip to Japan in April 2015, and of course we're planning on visiting Disneyland and DisneySea. My question regards Pooh's Hunny Hunt. I've heard that it's a "must see" attraction at Tokyo Disneyland, yet it's listed on the website as being closed from April 5th - April 20th 2015 (Temporary Closure of Park Facilities | Tokyo Disney Resort). Unfortunately we had planned on visiting Disney on the 7th, 8th and possibly 9th of April, when it is apparently less busy.
    The problem with visiting before April 5th is that this is when Japan spring break occurs, and according to this website, Tokyo Disneyland Crowd Calendar 2014-2015, Disneyland will be packed.
    If, on the other hand, we move our visit to Disney until after April 20th, then it's getting a bit late, given that we also definitely want to go snowboarding in Japan, and the snow season ends around late March. I'd be afraid it would get too expensive if we waited around in Japan for that long.
    So, then, is Pooh such a must see attraction that we should brave the Spring break school holiday crowd of early April, or possibly wait around until late April (costly), or should we just skip Pooh and stick to our original plans of April 7, 8, 9 when it should be not so busy? Ever other major attraction that we want to ride will be open (Journey, Star Tours, Splash, Indy, Tower etc).

I should also add that I've been to Disneyland and California Adventure, and we both live in Australia, so it's not everyday that we get to visit theme parks like this. Splash mountain and Star Tours were both closed when I was at Disneyland in the US, so I really want to ride these in Japan.

Also, any other Japan or Tokyo Disney related travel advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: Tokyo Disney - Pooh Closure and travel advice

I would definitely choose to go early because:

1) Pooh`s Hunny Hunt is a must see (since you mentioned that you are unable to visit a theme park like this everyday)
    2) Over at Disney Sea, the show Mystic Rythms will end on April 5 (a show I highly recommend)
    3) If you arrive at the front gates early, you should still be able to have a great time (even if it is crowded)
    4) You should not miss out on snowboarding and go during snow season

Comment

Thanks for the response .

That's a good point, I didn't think about the shows when planning. I wonder how long after the closure of Mystic Rythms until the next show opens up? Probably not for a long while.

I am nervous about the wait times however, since I've heard horror stories about just how packed Tokyo Disney gets, and this would be *peak* season. For example, the wait time for Splash is predicted to be over 2 hours (!!) on Saturday the 4th, the last day before Pooh closes. But I suppose potentially we could visit TDL on the 4th to ride Pooh, TDS on Sunday the 5th to catch Mystic Rythms, then spend Monday and possibly Tuesday catching up on all the rides that we missed! (assuming it's quieter on the Monday and Tuesday).

Thanks again.

Comment

Pooh is a fun ride and the way the ride is designed is unique compared to other Disney parks but I would rather have less wait time for a more enjoyable vacation and not be able to go on one ride. I admit I enjoy the attraction but I enjoy not waiting in crazy lines even more. Lots more to do and your day will be filled with lots to do minus the one ride. Just exploring the parks to see the architecture, find little details, eat, and ride the attractions will keep you busy since it's your first time.

Comment

Spring break AND weekend??? I'd pass. Your overall experience will be extremely effected. I always tell people to avoid weekends like the plague. It can be shoulder to shoulder at times and most ALL the attractions will have long wait times. Maybe you will get on a handful of attractions in one day after spending most of the time in line for either FP or in standby lines. That will be AFTER you spend 2-3 hours each morning just waiting to get in. Yeah, you could go just one hour before opening. But that will almost certainly mean you will be doing standby for most of the popular FP attractions.

If you rarely can go to the parks, I would personally try to maximize the overall experience even if it means sacrificing a single attraction or two.

Comment

Thanks for the other opinions, I'm also tossing up whether it will really be worth those crowds for one ride and a show. I guess I'll bring it up with my partner and see what he thinks. I agree that I think overall the whole experience would probably be better without being shoulder to shoulder with people and huge lines, even if it means sacrificing a ride. However my thoughts were also that it should be much quieter by Monday 6th which is when we could get most of our rides in.

Does anyone else have any thoughts about the Disney Sea Mystic Rhythms show which is closing April 6th? Is this really worth seeing?

Comment

I wonder how long after the closure of Mystic Rythms until the next show opens up? Probably not for a long while.
              1 year! (so long)

Does anyone else have any thoughts about the Disney Sea Mystic Rhythms show which is closing April 6th? Is this really worth seeing?
              Well! So many opinions here! Show and Seasonal Shows can be ended in anytime, but rides stay there forever, so you should def see Mystic Rhythms! It is a really great show. Also, if you are first timer to TDR, I suggest you stay away from holiday and weekend. For me, it is ok, and I love to go on weekend. But you may find it very annoying and your overall experience maybe affected like what Roger said.

Visit my pages (Nikkoap92) for lots of pictures from Tokyo Disney Resort ^_^

Facebook
              Instagram
              Flickr
              Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by rob321 View Post
                I am nervous about the wait times however, since I've heard horror stories about just how packed Tokyo Disney gets, and this would be *peak* season. For example, the wait time for Splash is predicted to be over 2 hours (!!) on Saturday the 4th, the last day before Pooh closes.
                I can understand why you would feel this way. However, most of the popular rides with long wait times will have fast passes, so just make sure you grab a fast pass (which you should be able to if you arrive early).

If you do not mind missing out on Pooh`s Hunny Hunt and/or Mystic Rythm`s, then going on the dates you had originally intended to would be better (as some other board members have already mentioned).

I went to Disneyland in Anaheim about 6 years ago and ended up missing out on the Haunted Mansion due to a rehab. It is something I still regret to this day since I will not be going back there for at least another 5 years.

I wish you all the best with your decision

Comment

It seems that if we were to head in mid March, the best time would be Mon-Thursday 16th-19th March, given that Journey is closed until Friday the 13th March (which is the ride I most want to go on). However, even then the parks would be "very crowded" according to the crowd calendar (), since this too falls into the spring break period.
                  Hence I think that at this point we're definitely still leaning to go from April 7th-9th, when the crowds are apparently more than halved, and we would have a more relaxed, enjoyable vacation (and still be there in time to snowboard beforehand!).

I think given how much else there is to do in the parks, we wouldn't mind missing out on Pooh or Mystic Rhythms if it means much shorter queues.

Thanks again for all your help guys .

Comment

My husband and I will be at TDL Resort 4/6-4/10! Maybe we will see you ;-)

Comment

We were having the same panic over Pooh. We actually arrive in Tokyo on the 3rd, so we might go out to TDL that night just to wait 2.5 hours in the standby line for it (if the park isn't closed due to crowds). Depends on the jet lag lol

Comment

Maybe we will bump into each other! Have a great trip .
                        That's not a bad idea, heading in the evening just for a ride on Pooh. I don't know if we could handle the crowds though.

Comment

I'm traveling to Japan in February to snowboard and then visit TDR :-). Too bad we won't be there at the same time! Unfortunately we're going while Journey is offline :-(. I also wish the water show was still happening. It seems during non busy periods something is always down. But nonetheless Pooh is something we're really looking forward to!

Comment

At least you've got Pooh open when you're going . I s'pose there's always going to be something closed when visiting so you can't always win.
                            Have a blast and enjoy the snow - we can't wait!

Comment

Most of the lines get shorter at night. You'll only wait 40 to 60 minutes for Pooh-san an over before closing. The lines are shorter on Sunday night than Saturday night because Monday is a school day. And if it rains you're really in luck, because everything will be a walk-on after 7 (when the Dreamlights parade is cancelled). It's also pretty cold in the parks because of the wind off the ocean until mid-April. People tend to leave earlier rather than later in the evening.

Personally, I wouldn't go to Tokyo Disneyland without riding Pooh's Hunny Hunt. It's that good. That said, my trip in March will bring me to DisneySea when Journey is closed. A pity, but it's necessary to avoid Spring Break.

Roger55 is right: always avoid weekends; always avoid holidays (worse than Saturdays); and ALWAYS AVOID a holiday weekend. Always. That's an absolute.
                              Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

Comment

Edit: double post sorry.
                                Last edited by rob321; 12-05-2014, 11:23 PM. Reason: Double post

Comment

Well Saturday night during Spring break is the last night Pooh is open (closes April 5th, a Sunday). Is there some sort of cheaper pass available if we visit at night on the Saturday just for Pooh?
                                  As already mentioned, this is assuming the park isn't closed due to crowds. I'd imagine locals would be wanting to get one last ride on it too before closing.

Comment

Originally posted by rob321 View Post
                                    Hi, first time poster here.
                                    My partner and I are planning on a trip to Japan in April 2015, and of course we're planning on visiting Disneyland and DisneySea. My question regards Pooh's Hunny Hunt. I've heard that it's a "must see" attraction at Tokyo Disneyland, yet it's listed on the website as being closed from April 5th - April 20th 2015 (Temporary Closure of Park Facilities | Tokyo Disney Resort). Unfortunately we had planned on visiting Disney on the 7th, 8th and possibly 9th of April, when it is apparently less busy.
                                    The problem with visiting before April 5th is that this is when Japan spring break occurs, and according to this website, Tokyo Disneyland Crowd Calendar 2014-2015, Disneyland will be packed.
                                    If, on the other hand, we move our visit to Disney until after April 20th, then it's getting a bit late, given that we also definitely want to go snowboarding in Japan, and the snow season ends around late March. I'd be afraid it would get too expensive if we waited around in Japan for that long.
                                    So, then, is Pooh such a must see attraction that we should brave the Spring break school holiday crowd of early April, or possibly wait around until late April (costly), or should we just skip Pooh and stick to our original plans of April 7, 8, 9 when it should be not so busy? Ever other major attraction that we want to ride will be open (Journey, Star Tours, Splash, Indy, Tower etc).

I should also add that I've been to Disneyland and California Adventure, and we both live in Australia, so it's not everyday that we get to visit theme parks like this. Splash mountain and Star Tours were both closed when I was at Disneyland in the US, so I really want to ride these in Japan.

Also, any other Japan or Tokyo Disney related travel advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

I had this VERY same problem (sans snowboarding - BLECCHH no thank you!).

I've actually split our visit to TDR into TWO trips within the same holiday. We're coming from Perth and it's my wonderful partner's first time at ANY Disney theme park and it'll be my third visit to the TDR (Visited many of the other resorts multiple times).

We're arriving on Tue. 7/4 and staying three nights, returning the day before Pooh opens(Sun. 19/4)to stay four more nights, ride Pooh multiple times and just max out some time at TDR.

It was a tough schedule to work out but this way we'll get to see EVERYTHING (barring any unforeseen closures) as well as begin and end our time in Japan at the TDR! Oh and another bonus - by coming to the resort twice, not only do we get 2 + 3 full days over our stay but we also get two after 6:00 entries!

I should do this for a living!!!!
                                    Last edited by TDS Traveller; 12-06-2014, 01:55 AM.

Comment

Quite a predicament you’re in

But Pooh is an absolute must, I mean if it was Monster’s inc I would have said it’s not worth it, but Pooh is really one of the highlights of TDL therefore I’d risk going earlier. Also having the parks being overcrowded isnt necessarily a bad thing (yes queues are terrible and unbearably long) but the atmosphere becomes really festive and the Japanese embrace the Disney culture in such a unique way that I might argue it actually adds to the experience. Also as someone mentioned during parades (dreamlights) queues become much shorter and tolerable.

Also you could schedule an extra day for the parks to just to make up for the lost time, if you’re planning a two day trip make it three instead ( or four why the heck not TDS is that great!) and plan accordingly.

Comment

Part of the reason I really wanted to split my holiday and go twice to TDR was that last time I visited in 2011, Pooh was closed for refurb. I had ridden it on my first visit in Oct. 2001 but was really disappointed last time it was closed. Pooh is my partner's favourite Disney character (they even share the same surname! ) and I'd be damned if he was going to miss one of THE BEST attractions in the world!!!

Our schedule is AMAZING and we CANNOT WAIT!

We'll be at TDL on the evening of Tue. 7/4 (After 6:00 entry) and then in TDL all day on Wed. 8/4. We may see you there Rob! We'll be the two good looking gaijin Aussies!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X