Announcement

Collapse
See more
See less

It is finally happening. we are going to Tokyo Disney! Please help.

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ebiten
    replied
    Re: It is finally happening. we are going to Tokyo Disney! Please help.

Assuming they don't change their website and keep it up to date you can find popcorn buckets and types of popcorn ( in Japanese so you can use Google Translate) on the Tokyo Disney Resort website.

Disneyland

DisneySea

You don't have to buy the popcorn buckets at the individual stalls now. For example #3 stall near Disneyland's Adventureland is the Mr. Potato Head bucket with shoyu butter popcorn (though it's a personal favorite of mine). You can buy the buckets at the World Confectionery Store in the World Bazaar and it comes with a voucher for one free fill up on popcorn. Same goes for TDS but it's in Valentina's Sweets. You're paying the same price as the stall but it's something recent TDR has done I really appreciate as I don't like certain flavors but I want the buckets.
    Last edited by ebiten; 12-15-2014, 12:41 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Duyanh92
    replied

You can purchase the TDR 2015 guide sold in bookstore in Tokyo. I believe they have the popcorn bucket list there.

Leave a comment:

• greenkai3000
    replied

Awesome. Keep all the replies coming, everybody. I'm definitely going to get a popcorn bucket...It's on my list of things to do while at the resort. Is there a way to find out what all types are generally sold at both parks? I'd hate to purchase one right away and find out later in the day that there are better selections everywhere else.

Leave a comment:

• aimster
    replied

Leave a comment:

• TDS Traveller
    replied

Are you referring to the FP distribution machines? That's not a "lottery" and maybe they were "sold out" of FPs for the day.

Leave a comment:

• Fukai
    replied

I haven't seen any Toy Story Mania "ticket machines," nor have I heard anyone else report this. There are FastPass machines, but the FastPasses usually run out in the first hour the park is open. Perhaps they are testing something new in an effort to cut down on the length of the standby line.

Leave a comment:

• sarlm
    replied

Originally posted by Fukai View Post
    There is NO lottery for Toy Story Mania.
    I was there 2 weeks ago with my Japanese friend who has an annual pass. She took me straight to Toy Story Mania ticket machines, we scanned our tickets and didn't get a spot, is this not a lotto? I know we tried for Big Band Beat also and she mentioned that TSM was the same.

Sorry for the 'not so good advice'. Thought I was being helpful/didn't realise there was a formula for enjoying a Disney park. I was just sharing my personal opinion
    Last edited by sarlm; 12-14-2014, 02:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• theconjurer
    replied

Fukai pretty much on the dot with his post,

except,

I really enjoyed Toy Story Mania and suffering in the que was half the fun! I got in line half an hour or forty five minutes before the park closed and at some point the cast members closed the lines off followed by the que moving a little bit faster. It was good fun but in general since you dont have a lot of time just steer clear.

If you're an Alice fan be sure to check out TDL's Queen's Court Restaurant, Atmosphere and ambiance is top notch and you get free souvenirs when ever you order their desserts, I went and had seconds just to get the whole Alice teacup/plate set!

Big Band Beat is a good show, I managed to get in through the standby line with limited waiting ( maybe ten minutes) it was for one of the evening showings, just in time i might add because my legs were ready to amputate themselves from my body.

Leave a comment:

• Fukai
    replied

Some not good advice given above.

Pirates is a walk-on in the evening: do not waste time on it during the day.

Use Single Rider for Splash Mountain and Indiana Jones: do not waste FastPasses on them.

Get on line at the park gates a minimum of 30 minutes before opening.

First thing at Disneyland: go immediately to Monster's Inc. and get a FastPass, then go ride Pooh's Hunny Hunt on the Standby Line. When your FastPass window opens, get a new one for Big Thunder Mountain or Space Mountain (your choice--my opinion is that Big Thunder is better).

First thing at DisneySea: go immediately to Tower of Terror and get a FastPass. Then walk to Journey to the Center of the Earth and ride it via the Standby Line. Then ride 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea since you're next to it. Forget about Toy Story Mania--it's identical to the versions at both US parks and it will kill a good plan for the day. Use Single Rider for Indy at any time. Try the lottery for Big Band Beat (it's really good). There is NO lottery for Toy Story Mania.

The only other long line you will encounter is at Storm Rider, which does not use its FastPass machines except on the busiest days. Usually the line is only 30 minutes (45 on a busy day).

Don't pass by the Sindbad ride: it's great, even though there's never a line more than 10 minutes.

Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• Duyanh92
    replied

You may book a room at Miracosta by keep calling the hotel near the departure day. I was able to book a Porto Paradiso room yesterday, and I will stay next week.

Leave a comment:

• LizCatMom
    replied

I wanted to see if you were aware that although there may not be any rooms showing online, Miracosta may have rooms available by calling their reservations number. On our previous 2 trips, I checked nearly every day from the time that the booking window was open to try and get rooms at Miracosta and could never find availability. Unfortunately, it was after the fact that I read somewhere that not all rooms available are loaded into their online system. And then, keep in mind that you can reserve a room at no cost up until so many days, so you can look for cancellations around that time frame -- it may be 45 days? someone correct me if I'm wrong -- as plans fall through and then you may see an opening pop up. I was able to get the reservation I wanted 2 Christmases ago by booking the first 2 days and then adding the 3rd day when it became available weeks later. So, if you really want Miracosta, it may be possible. But, if not, the Disneyland Hotel is a beautiful hotel, too. If this is your "trip of a lifetime" then you are doing right by staying in one of the Disney hotels. We had lived in Japan for a few years and all the time we were there, we opted to stay somewhere "cheaper" and after we moved away I was kicking myself for our not having ever experienced one of the Disney properties. Well, a couple years later we had the opportunity to go back and staying at Miracosta was an absolute must and we were able to make it happen and loved every second of it! We wound up doing a split stay, the first few days at Miracosta and then the last 2 at Disneyland Hotel. Ahh, such wonderful memories.

Leave a comment:

• sarlm
    replied

I'll add a few things for TDL as I didn't mention any above:

-Pirates of the Caribbean is normally super easy to get on first thing in the morning.

-The Jungle River Cruise has recently been upgraded so the lines are crazy. I was there 2 weeks ago and the line was about 2 hours all day. The upgrade wasn't that amazing so not sure if it's worth wasting time lining up. After parades and when the park opens, everyone makes a b-line for this ride so it's very hard to avoid the wait. Maybe the hype will have calmed down in May?

-Big Thunder Mountain is great but it has been under renovations for ages. Not sure if anyone knows if they'll be finished by May?

-Splash Mountain generally doesn't have too long a wait time if you get there early

-Happiness is Here (parade) is excellent, great sound and classic characters. Japanese start waiting for parades at least an hour before they start, so if you want a good spot get in early. Otherwise you can always see it well enough, just from behind everyone.

-Parade and show tip: buy a plastic mat to sit on and also to save your spot. Japanese people all have one and it actually does help if the concrete is cold under your butt.

-Electric Light Parade is great and if it is raining, it will be replaced with Night Glow which is actually better IMO

-In Fantasy Land, avoid Cinderella's Fairy Tale Hall, it is TERRIBLE so don't waste time in the queue.

-Characters such as Alice, Mad Hatter and Aurora appear in Fantasy Land generally near the round garden feature behind the Castle. They appear near the gift shop approximately every hour.

-People swear by Pooh's Honey Hunt. This gets veerrryy long lines. I enjoy it but think there are far better rides. If you love Pooh Bear, you can try for a fast pass first thing in the morning.

-Food that I like from TDL is: Mexican sausage rolls from Critter Country, smoked turkey leg from Western Land (not as good as the smoked chicken leg from DisneySea mind you), mini Mickey head waffles (can't remember where), crepes from Adventure Land (there is a small crepe restaurant), chocolate churros as you enter the park to the left and strawberry churros from Tomorrowland. Again, I prefer the street food to the restaurant food.

Leave a comment:

• sarlm
    replied

Hi there,

Long time lurker finally making an account. I thought I'd share my two cents in case it's helpful for your trip. I've been to Japan quite a few times and always visit both TDL and TDS, most of my tips will be for TDS as I personally prefer it and spend the most time there:

-Fast pass Indiana Jones in the morning and go back later to avoid queues, same as Journey to the Centre of the Earth

-Sounds like Tower of Terror is the ride you definitely need to go on. I went on once and never again, it's too scary for me haha

-The show Holiday Greetings from 7 Ports is my favourite show. This is cancelled in the rain. Fantasmic is never cancelled and is worth watching. This happens at 5:30 in winter when it gets dark (not sure what time in May). If it is raining or windy it is not as impressive though.

-If you're interested in character meet-and-greets, I have some info that might be helpful:

-Saludos Amigos! is in Lost River Delta and you can meet Mickey, Donald and Goofy all day. You can buy a souvenir photo which can be collected from the photo store at the park entrance. Fur characters are the most popular with the Japanese so these always have the longest lines.

-If it is raining, no face characters come outside but you can always meet Ariel in her grotto and Prince Eric sometimes appears in Triton's Kingdom on the left of the restaurant counter. Sometimes Daisy or Pluto come out in swinwear instead but they appear every hour and are preceded by a person with a Mickey glove on their lapel, so you can look out for that.

-Similarly, if it is raining, Jasime, Aladdin and Genie can be found every hour on the Carousel in Arabian Coast. Sometimes it will just be Jasmine and Genie, sometimes Jasmine and Aladdin. If you want a good photo (as the carousel is moving), the door to the far left of the carousel is the character exit where they stop and pose for photos before leaving. If it is not raining, they can be found in the market place approximately every hour.

-Pocahontas appears in Port Discovery if it is not raining

-I am a face character freak (in case you couldn't tell) and I like to get multiple photos with different Ariels. Ariel has 3 different 'friends' in a day and they change every 1/2 hour. You can tell which Ariel it will be by looking at the souvenir photo example held by the attendant in the line. You can only pose for one photo and take one photo with your own camera each time. It is 1500 yen to buy the souvenir photo.

-Foods that I personally love are the Little Green Men mochi dumplings from American Waterfront, the clam shell ice cream sandwich from Triton's Kingdom, the Gyoza from Port Discovery (right near Journey to the Centre of the Earth) and the smoked chicken leg from Lost River Delta. I prefer these street foods to the restaurants personally. Sometimes you can get some cool souvenir items with meals though which are only available from certain restaurants.

If there's anything else I think of I'll add it as this is getting long, sorry! Feel free to ask any questions. Hope that was helpful!
    Last edited by sarlm; 12-14-2014, 02:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• greenkai3000
    replied

Thanks for the reply theconjurer. I did notice that staying at the Hilton would've been cheaper, but I would not have gotten the perks Disney Hotel guests normally get. Having Early Entry, albeit only a 15min period, is a huge bonus and a must have for me.

Leave a comment:

• theconjurer
    replied

I'm.not a veteran been to TDR only once, but I would urge you to consider extending your stay to three full days at the minimum and four ideally to best grasp the most of the TDR experience.

Also if it makes a difference budget wise drop Disneyland hotel and go with the Hilton Tokyo Bay.

Leave a comment:

• It is finally happening. we are going to Tokyo Disney! Please help.

So, after a few years of dreaming about it, planning carefully, and budgeting strategically, we are finally going to Tokyo Disney. Needless to say we are beyond EXCITED about it. We will be staying 2 nights (late Wednesday May 6, and Thursday May 7) at the Disneyland Hotel. Miracosta is already booked solid . And the Embassador is the only Hotel with available rooms on the 8th, so we might be able to stay there on Friday.

I would love to hear from TDR veterans about all your suggestions regarding a game plan for us, as far as maximizing rope drop being hotel guests, getting the most popular fast passes, and being able to eat all the good food and snacks, when we visit Disney Sea on Thursday (the day after Golden Week is officially over), and Disneyland on Friday. We won't don't have little ones, so all the thrill rides are out top priorities, especially those unique to TDR, as well as being able to see the most popular shows.

What snacks do you recommend? Is there a great table or counter service restaurant at each park we should not miss, and do we need reservations for them? Are some shows really worth trying to get lottery tickets for?

All input is welcome, and greatly appreciated. :bow:
Working...
X