This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trip Report Some General Comments About My Trip to TDR Last Week

As many of you know, being at the Tokyo Disney Resort is my idea of heaven.

But last week it was hell.

I've never seen the parks this crowded (and it was Wednesday, Thursday, Friday). These were larger than weekend crowds ... more like Christmas week crowds.

Every major attraction had lines from 2 to 4 hours long. The walkways were thronged with people and it was impossible to walk. The parks stopped selling tickets and closed the gates every day as early as 10 am one day and did not reopen until 7 pm.

Every outdoor vending cart (popcorn, churros, whatever) had a 35 minute line.

It really was an incredibly unpleasant experience, and it was not yet Spring Break.

I was told that OLC was selling discounted tickets to students, and most of the people I saw in the parks fit that description. Few children or older people.

Even so, with good park-going strategies, we were able to make a decent few days of it, but it was not a pleasurable experience.
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

Re: Some General Comments About My Trip to TDR Last Week

Quick! Post about it on the Disneyland (CA) board!

I (mostly) jest. But yeah, that's waaaaay more of a crowding issue than the complaints about DLR I'd say.

Comment

It was the same this Jan, both parks were very crowded during Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, and so on... I was really surprised... I remembered I could grab a Journey fastpass at 4p.m during winter 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014, but this year the fastpass is gone just before the midday. Tower of Terror is usually 30-60 minutes in January but it was around 180 min everyday. Im afraid that with this crowd, OLC will stop offer entertainments. This easter there will be only 1 show at Mediterranean Harbor. Hopefully the show will be a big show.

Visit my pages (Nikkoap92) for lots of pictures from Tokyo Disney Resort ^_^

Facebook
      Instagram
      Flickr
      Youtube

Comment

My thoughts were very similar when we visited last year, although our visit was closer to the beginning of April and I blamed the crowds on nicer weather + opening of Easter/Spring Voyage + cherry blossoms beginning to bloom. Having been the previous 2 Christmas seasons, I felt like it was way more crowded. So, as mentioned, maybe it is just a lot of people taking advantage of the student discount. But, yeah, when you have to wait so long for just about everything -- I can even recall waiting in line for nearly half an hour for a popcorn bucket -- it definitely takes away from the experience.

Comment

From what Ive seen, those crowds are not from local citizens. Those people who went to the resort this winter are mostly from other parts of Japan. many of them are first timers to TDR. I think the crowd will be lighter once they raise the ticket price. They may just take advantage of discount ticket before APril.

Facebook
          Instagram
          Flickr
          Youtube

Comment

I believe it's the offer on this site that is causing all the overcrowding.
            The Tower of Terror popularity is down to the Level 13 programme and it shortly coming to an end. We update our social media accounts every day with hours for March. This month hours have been 8.00 am - 10.00 pm every day at both Parks. I think that's a clear indication on if the Parks are going to be busy for future reference.
            Follow us over on Twitter for all the latest news and updates http://www.twitter.com/news_tdr
            Or like our Facebook Page http://www.facebook.com/newstdr

Comment

While crowding makes individual's visits more hectic, in the bigger picture TDR is doing exactly what they need to do to continue the success of the resort. This "continuous" crowding is something that is happening at DLR too.

Winter time use to be the slow time. OLC has found a way to draw Guests to the park during theses traditional slow periods. This helps the bottom line and allows for things like new attractions, expansion, updated entertainment and better maintenance possible.

Without an improving bottom line all of these improvements would not be as viable.

Yes crowds suck. But it also means the resort is doing something right and creates the opportunity for improvements and enhancements I think most of us desire.

Comment

I noted the 8 am openings for both parks upon arriving, and was surprised to see that at this time of year. An omen. Wondering what it will be like when I go back in September or October (when it was never this crowded on a week day).

The "Level 13" Tower of Terror was great. As I recall, there were two full 13-story drops in a row, and there's also a third show scene added (which, while not incredible on its own, was a complete surprise and therefore welcome).

Also saw "Once Upon a Time" for the first time (never won the lottery before, which has become almost impossible). This was the Frozen version, and since I haven't seen that movie those segments didn't mean much to me. I understand that the Lion King and Snow White segments were removed for Frozen. Either way, it was an amazing show--really great, and the first show of any kind in any Disney park that comes close to being the equal of Fantasmic at Disneyland.

Comment

I've seen some videos of the Level 13 version, and it seems the extra show scene was new for this year. It's a shame I won't be able to experienced it when I visit later this year. It would be great if it eventually became a permanent addition like at WDW's version.

I've yet to see Once Upon a Time, but I have seen Disney Dreams at Disneyland Paris and it was spectacular (very Fantasmic-like due to use of fountains and mist screens). I doubt I will win the lottery for OUaT, and I'm not really sure it's worth the effort of staking out a spot after seeing the Paris version (which most say is the best of the castle projection shows by a good margin).

Comment

RSG: The show at Disneyland Paris is so different to TDL. Although they are projection shows. TDL show is sweet and charm. Dreams is too rely on fireworks but it is so great, especially the finale.

Ive seen OUAT from April until now and I think they have changed the setting of the show. The spot lights were very bright in the past.

Facebook
                    Instagram
                    Flickr
                    Youtube

Comment

I've yet to see the show in DLP, I've been putting off a trip there for the past several years. I did see the OUAT show last November & it was really well done- I'd love to see the current version live, I've only watched it on youtube, but won't be back to Japan before it ends.

I'm assuming the crowds are due more to the Frozen Fantasy, you see how much the movie has taken off around the world & it doesn't take much to excite the guests in Japan even more.

All Disney parks are doing more to entice people to come in the usual down times during the year. I'm sure the increase in crowds now in TDR will be nothing as to the crowds we will see when the Fantasyland Expansion in TDL & new port opens in TDS.

Comment

The extra attractions should help absorb the larger crowds.

What I'm dreading is the actual construction when they start redoing Fantasyland. That will be a true nightmare. At least one major restaurant will close, thereby lengthening lines at all the others, and at least three attractions will close--one of which, Small World, has the highest ride capacity in the park alongside Pirates. Maybe I'll go to Shanghai Disneyland and Disneyland Paris during that two-year period.

Comment

Hence why we're leaving three weeks from this Monday - Get our fill of TDR for now, before construction begins, then return in about five years once all the work is finished and the crowds have had time to get over themselves.

Comment

Same here except I don't think I could wait 5 years between trips. I'm planning on returning in 2018, as that should be enough time for all the construction to be complete. I hate looking at construction walls, which is why I didn't visit during the extensive harbor construction at TDS.

Comment

Hi Fukai
                              As you knew, we were there the exact same days. We had the same experience. It was our first time. Thursday was our TDS day and we did the 'running of the bulls" all three mornings. The TDS park was awesome and spent little time in line ( though had a Fast Pass debacle). But then the TDL day was CRA-CRA zee. Like nothing I have ever experienced in 40 years of going to Disney Parks. The closest thing I could compare, was NYE at Disneyland or EPCOT. Saturday, oddly enough, was less busy and seemed about 20% less then friday, but it did rain.
                              All in all, though , had the BEST of BEST times. Im already addicted and want to go back. Magellan's was such a great experience. And the LUAU was really fun, as well, though we were so tired I almost fell asleep in my Sweet and Sour Pork!!

Comment

Sorry to hear it was busy for you. TDR does give out student discounts I assume to get those kids graduating a "last memory" of high school before they go off into the adult world . Plus the limited edition TDR & TDS tickets promo ends on the same day as the student discount 【公式】パークチケット|東京ディズニーリゾート. Hopefully the next time you go it won't be as busy.

Comment

In related news, OLC announced today that Fiscal Year 2014 was their most successful year yet. Attendance actually managed to surpass the record breaking figures of 2013 (the year of the 30th Anniversary celebrations). They noted that the Frozen special event played a major role in this, as the first half of the fiscal year actually showed lower numbers than 2013.

http://www.olc.co.jp/en/news/olcgroup/20150401_01e.pdf

Comment

Sorry but I STILL don't get the Frozen mania.

It was okay, as a film, but I prefer the classics like "The Little Mermaid" and "Beauty and The Beast".

Oh well - it means one less thing I'll have to queue for while all the crazies head to THAT!

FOUR DAYS AND COUNTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Completely agree. Frozen doesn't hold a candle to the classics for me, but evidently the rest of the world (especially Japan) is crazy for it. It is the highest grossing animated film of all time, and they will continue to take advantage of its popularity any way they can.

With Frozen 2 and the new Frozen port coming in 2018, it doesn't look like that hype will be dying anytime soon.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                      Working...
                                      X