Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] What month is best in summer to visit?

Hello everyone!

New to this site but always read everyone's great posts! My family is trying to plan a first and surprise visit to Japan for my niece in summer of 2016 for her sweet sixteen birthday! She is obsessed with Disney and anime! What is the best month in summer to go? Pros and cons please, any info will be helpful. I know Golden Week is somewhere in the mix, so please let me know when. We will be trying for the Sherton hotel.

I know we want to stay at least 2 weeks for her to absorb Japan. So any shopping areas or eating areas in Tokyo would be helpful as well. I believe we are looking at the Metropolitan Hotel in Tokyo to stay.

Thanks so much!!!!

Re: What month is best in summer to visit?

Golden Week is actually in the spring.

Summer issues are that the longest school break is in summer (typically August) and roving Obon dates can cause travel hassles.

Comment

There is NO good time to go in the summer. The heat and humidity are hell on earth. Even as a go-all-day Disney theme park guy for decades, I couldn't handle it for more than three scorching hours the July before last.

It was something like 95 degrees with very high humidity. I can't even remember how many--tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands?--who suffered from heatstroke in Japan that summer.

Really--don't go to the Tokyo Disney Resort in the summer. It's rainy all June, and horribly hot in July and August (and August is when school's out).

The summer is a good time to visit Sweden!
      Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

Comment

Last year summer (July) is very mild and my Mom said she actually thinks it is spring. I think Summer is quite a festive time to visit. It will be hot but you can buy the icy cool body towel or water fan. Those really help to cool the heat. When visiting TDR in summer, it is not during a day so dont spend so much time in the queue but you should join the harbor or castle summers shows and they really help you to cool down.

Visit my pages (Nikkoap92) for lots of pictures from Tokyo Disney Resort ^_^

Facebook
        Instagram
        Flickr
        Youtube

Comment

I'd go for June or July. Yes it's rainy, but the crowds are comparatively light. Since you're going for two weeks, perhaps you could check the weather forecast and plan around the rain.

Comment

If you have a choice, I would second Fukai. Don't go in the summer.

If you have to go, then I would try late June. Right when the rains end. (Unfortunately some years, the rain doesn't end till July) Mid & late August is usually ok weather wise (not as hot as July), but school is out and the lines will be super long. But last time I went in mid August it was plenty "mushi atsui" (humid hot)

Good luck.

Comment

Don't go when it's unbearably hot and humid.
              Don't go when it's virtually guaranteed to rain every day.
              You're really better off (if you can find those good windows in the spring and fall) in going during the winter. It's cold, but at least you can bundle up and the crowds are somewhat smaller.

Comment

Originally posted by nish221 View Post
                If you have a choice, I would second Fukai. Don't go in the summer. If you have to go, then I would try late June. Right when the rains end. (Unfortunately some years, the rain doesn't end till July) Mid & late August is usually ok weather wise (not as hot as July), but school is out and the lines will be super long. But last time I went in mid August it was plenty "mushi atsui" (humid hot) Good luck.
                BTW. when I write "rain end", it doesn't really end (not like California).... the constant rain "tsuyu" ends, but it rains almost daily (late afternoons) during the summer.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies! Unfortunately, the kids are only out during the summer months and since we want to spend at least 2 weeks there, it has to be summer. I guess we will try late June to early July. Thanks again!! Any shopping areas we need to hit for Disney items or any anime items in Disneyland and Tokyo? I am more at a lost in Tokyo! Thanks all!

Comment

Try early July just before the school break. Sometimes the weather drops significantly if there is a typhoon. Summer is warm and humid, but not as hot in my opinion.

Visit my pages (Nikkoap92) for lots of pictures from Tokyo Disney Resort ^_^

Facebook
                    Instagram
                    Flickr
                    Youtube

Comment

Make sure your hotels have rooms with individually controlled air conditioning!

Comment

Originally posted by ochibiyo View Post
                        Thanks for all the replies! Unfortunately, the kids are only out during the summer months and since we want to spend at least 2 weeks there, it has to be summer. I guess we will try late June to early July. Thanks again!! Any shopping areas we need to hit for Disney items or any anime items in Disneyland and Tokyo? I am more at a lost in Tokyo! Thanks all!
                        Sorry, I don't shop much any more outside of TDR. I've always thought that the Shibuya Disney Store was cute.
                        For anime, I still go to Akihabara. I don't do that too much either. It's easy to get to since the Yamanote Line stops there.

Others here are MUCH more into shopping than I am so you probably get better responses.

Comment

Thanks nish221! Like I said, any help is AMAZING help for us! Just letting me know there is a Disney Store in Shibuya helps a lot, not to mention the train lines - another place I will likely get everybody lost. Hee hee. Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                          X