Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will It Still Be Okay to Visit TDR During the Big New Construction Projects?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Will It Still Be Okay to Visit TDR During the Big New Construction Projects?

For those who are familiar with TDR....

I finally pinned down the husband for a trip to TDR in Spring 2016. It sounds like we'll be there in the midst of building the new Nordic port area and the FL improvements. Are the parks big enough that we'll be able to ignore the construction? Or are the construction areas right in the middle of everything? I'll probably only make this trip once, so I don't want it to be disappointing. But I don't want to wait to 2018, either! Thanks for any info.

Re: Will It Still Be Okay to Visit TDR During the Big New Construction Projects?

The construction should not affect you at Tokyo DisneySea, as the current plot where they plan to build the port is empty and cut-off from the existing guest areas. At most you will see the rising structure for the mountain. Tokyo Disneyland will be affected considerably, and much of Fantasyland and Tomorrowland will be covered in walls until it's done. If you are only making this trip once in your lifetime, I would strongly recommend waiting until these plans are complete. Not only would you not have to deal with the eyesore of the construction, but you will also get to experience multiple major E-tickets that will be unique to Tokyo.

Comment

Re: Will It Still Be Okay to Visit TDR During the Big New Construction Projects?

I think they will introduce some blast stage shows and parades during the construction period at TDL to keep the guests.

Visit my pages (Nikkoap92) for lots of pictures from Tokyo Disney Resort ^_^

Facebook
      Instagram
      Flickr
      Youtube

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I had guessed that it would be best to wait for things to be completed. And the Nordic port area and new attractions will probably be awesome. Oh, well....patience is a virtue.

Comment

As a counter point, you really won't be missing out on all that much by going pre- versus during construction. Their version of autotopia is definitely the worst and Small World leaves a lot to be desired.

It will definitely be even better after the new areas open up, but I think whether you went In 2012, 2014 or 2016 your experience won't be much affected.

There is also some joy is peering over construction walls to check out 'the future' too.

Comment

Good point, BrianLo. And actually, we went to WDW while the FL expansion was ongoing, and we had a great time there anyhow. Plus the crowds may be less, as people wait for the new offerings.
            I'm talking myself into it again.

Comment

Don't count on the crowds being less. TDR is almost always crowded. Even the cold winter time this year was crowded with all the new Frozen offering.

Having said that, I don't think your visit would be that adversly affected by the construction. You just might not be able to experience all of the new offerings if you go before the projects are all complete.

You might want to base your decision more on which existing "must do's" are going under rennovation during your visit. If you like entertainment and merchandise you might want to factor in which seasonal event (e.g. Springitime, Halloween, Christmas, etc) is happening.

If you are going, as you stated, during spring time make sure you pick the time when the spring time events are taking place. There is a period after the winter event finishes and spring time starts where there will be no special activities taking place.

Someone made the statement "Tokyo Disneyland will be affected considerably, and much of Fantasyland and Tomorrowland will be covered in walls until it's done.". There is no guarantee that this will be the way the expansion will be executed. They may decide to take small strategic areas of the park down and build up in phases just to avoid such a dramatic shutdown of two areas. I doubt that things will be affected considerably as the above statement implies. This is coming from someone who has been visiting TDR multiple times every year since 2001 and has witnessed first hand how the resort operates.

Either way, just remember your trip experience will be what you choose to make out of it. My guess is you will be able to make an amazing experience out of any situation that may present itself to you if that is how you choose to approach it.

Comment

This will be the biggest construction project ever undertaken at the park. As posted by leemac on LaughingPlace:

"The logistical issues are immense - trying to keep the park operational. Tomorrowland will become a dead-end, a narrow pathway will need to be maintained for access to ToonTown and the rest of the southern side of Fantasyland is being repositioned. Plus almost no backstage area to work with. It is going to be a massive tessellating puzzle. It is a frightening prospect for any CM/PM."

Comment

All speculation... as is my assesment. Just don't like things stated as "fact" when there is no evidence to back it up. That's all I'm pointing out. Even leemac, as you have quoted, states..."It's a frightening prospect for any CM/PM". He didn't say certainty. Even IF leemac was the definitive source for construction plans, the quote you provided states nowhere that "much of Fantasyland and Tomorrowland will be covered in walls until it's done".

I too could just as easily state that I think the park will be an utter mess with half the park's access being shut off to Guets. But doing so without factual knowledge as to how the expansion is being executed would be irresponsible on my part.
                  Last edited by Roger55; 05-04-2015, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Apologies. I was just relaying what insiders have posted and not actually implying I was privy to any facts. I may be wrong, but I thought leemac had direct ties with OLC? I think if anyone had factual knowledge of their plans, it would be him. The "It is going to be a massive tessellating puzzle" line seems to indicate with certainty that it will be more complex logistically than anything previously built at the resort.

Comment

The trip will not be any worse because of construction, as it is out of the way.

Comment

I suppose there's some benefit to being a first-time visitor. We wouldn't really know what we're missing and would just enjoy what we get to enjoy.

Well, it's still early to decide. Probably more information will start unfolding about this project and it'll become more clear. Thanks for all the input.

Comment

Why take Leemac's word as gospel? He's been known to be wrong before.
                          Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

Comment

Fantasyland isn't very attractive anyway in its current state, so construction walls aren't much of a downgrade. I would say seize the moment. If you keep adjusting your plans because of construction, you might never end up going.

Is missing some cloned attractions worth delaying your trip indefinitely? That's a personal choice, but I know I wouldn't delay my trip based on speculation personally.

Realistically, the Tomorrowland Terrace, Dumbo, it's a small world, the Astro Jets, and Speedway will be undergoing heavy construction. At worst, Peter Pan, Snow White, and/or Pinocchio may be surrounded by unobtrusive constructive walls as well. Look at a map of the park and you can visualize what areas will be affected, and make a judgement on how much that will bother you.

Keep in mind, all those entities are probably the weakest parts of the entire resort anyway.

Comment

Peter pan snow white and other Fantasyland attractions will have a long rehab and upgradong the rides just like what they are doing at peter pan and alice in wonderland in disneyland,pretty much Fantasyland will only have a few rides left during construction.

Comment

^ Yes, but at least the unique attractions (Queen of Hearts Banquet Hall, Pooh's Hunny Hunt, the castle walk thru, and the somewhat unique Haunted Mansion) will still be open.

My main point is the OP doesn't know what tomorrow will bring so Carpe Diem. Could you imagine delaying your trip, then being unable to go in 2017 due to an unforeseen disaster?

Comment

Originally posted by Fukai View Post
                                  Why take Leemac's word as gospel? He's been known to be wrong before.
                                  Indeed.

He publicly stated at DCA's opening that it was a better park than TDS.

He INSTANTLY lost all credibility with me at that point.

Comment

Considering how crowded the park normally is, large areas of construction in Fantasyland will create havoc.

They are putting the new version of Dumbo in front of the entrance to Toontown. There's a huge bottleneck right next to that between the popcorn carts and Pooh's Hunny Hunt.

And how are the parades going to run during this?

Sounds like a real big mess. Maybe skip Tokyo for a few years and visit Hong Kong and Shanghai Disneylands instead! I'm pretty psyched about the Iron Man Experience and Mystic Manor.
                                    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

Comment

Maybe they will shut down the parade and add stage show instead?

Visit my pages (Nikkoap92) for lots of pictures from Tokyo Disney Resort ^_^

Facebook
                                      Instagram
                                      Flickr
                                      Youtube

Comment

They'd better not stop Dreamlights - THE BEST Disney parade in the world!

Comment

Working...
                                        X