Announcement

Collapse
See more
See less

Is this remotely realistic? A first-draft touring plan for a morning/afternoon at TDL

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Is this remotely realistic? A first-draft touring plan for a morning/afternoon at TDL

I need help with a plan of attack for a morning/afternoon at TDL (I know this is not nearly enough time but it is what I have, this trip). Traveling this trip with just my 15-year-old twin daughters.

So here's the plan:

Arrive 45 minutes before the park opens (park opens at 8:30 am). We will be staying at a Disney hotel so we will get in 15 minutes early, although I am not sure exactly what that gets us -- I have read that Monsters is the only ride that will be open, but I have read inconsistent reports about whether we will be able to obtain FPs. Anyone know about this?

1. Head to Monsters - get FP
    2. Pooh's Hunny Hut
    3. Other Fantasyland rides -- Haunted Mansion, Snow White, Pinocchio, Small World, Alice's Tea Party
    4. Get FP for Big Thunder Mountain (if the park opens at 8:30 am, and we get our first set of FPs then, I am assuming we could get another set at 10:30 am?)
    5. Eat - Queen of Hearts - I'm guessing it will be about 10:30 am now
    6. Splash Mountain (single rider line)
    7. Big Thunder Mountain (with FP)
    8. I'm guessing it will be about 12:30 pm now - get FP for Buzz (I know this is not the greatest ride, but since we plan to leave around 4 pm, I think the return times for anything else would be too late)
    9. Happiness is Here Parade - one schedule I found says this is at 2 pm - is this pretty consistent? Also, if we need to snag a viewing spot at the last minute, where should we do that?
    10. Ride Buzz (if have FPs) and Monsters (with FP)
    11. Shop; head to DisneySea

Two questions:
    1. I am assuming that TDL does not enforce FP return times? For a while, before WDW switched to MagicBands, they were trying to make people actually use FPs within the return time window.

2. In my search for the parade time, I discovered that from June 24 - July 7 is something called "Disney Tanabata Days" -- anyone know how this might affect crowds/touring (our trip is July 5 and 6)?

Any and all feedback is welcome!

Re: Is this remotely realistic? A first-draft touring plan for a morning/afternoon at

Two things;

Yes, you will definitely be able to get another FP by 10:30am, if you got your first FP at 8:30am.

Second - Your timing for returning to MI is wrong. You have the return time to MI as being after the HiH parade, whereas your actual FP return window will be MUCH earlier. Please be aware that TDR now enforces the return time very rigidly.

I used to do the whole "Me no understand - me dumb gaijin - me no speaky Japanese" routine(that foreigners in Australia do all the time)but I'm not sure if even THAT will work anymore.

Sucks, but there it is.
    Last edited by TDS Traveller; 05-10-2015, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Re: Is this remotely realistic? A first-draft touring plan for a morning/afternoon at

Thanks, TDS. I was afraid that the FP return times might be a problem -- when we first started going to WDW, our touring strategy was to spend the morning collecting FPs and then use them all in the afternoon. Then there was a brief time when the FP return times were (sort of) being enforced, and now the whole paper FP system has been scrapped for the MagicBand thing.

That makes it much harder to plan past the first FP return time -- but as you say, there it is.

Comment

Yeah - no matter which way you cut it, you're going to find yourself crossing back and forward across the park.

One consolation is that TDL has the centre street that connects to Tomorrowland, so you can just basically walk from the Adventureland/Pirates side, right through to TL in about ninety seconds - it's REALLY convenient!

Comment

Unfortunately you can't park hop on a one day ticket. You have to pick a park and stick to it... Unless you plan on picking up two 1-day tickets at double the price.

Comment

At least for now, it looks like staying at one of the three official hotels will allow us to buy length-of-stay tickets that let us park-hop both days. I would post the info directly from the Tokyo Disney hotel website but it's down for maintenance . . .

As for enforcement of the FP return times, I guess I will just have to live with having a half-baked plan We'll see what the return times are and then try to adjust.

Comment

There are some packages at the three official hotels that allow park-hopping on all days, but it's not just a general perk last time I dug through all the Japanese-only information.

EDIT: Even if I could hop from day 1, I wouldn't. Besides the fact that hopping requires the monorail, and hence isn't as easy as it is at DLR, the crowds and the overwhelmingness of almost EVERYTHING, especially on a first trip are not conducive to speeding through things.

Comment

Originally posted by sapphire View Post
                There are some packages at the three official hotels that allow park-hopping on all days, but it's not just a general perk last time I dug through all the Japanese-only information.

EDIT: Even if I could hop from day 1, I wouldn't. Besides the fact that hopping requires the monorail, and hence isn't as easy as it is at DLR, the crowds and the overwhelmingness of almost EVERYTHING, especially on a first trip are not conducive to speeding through things.
                For some reason I can't copy and paste, but this page says that "sale of tickets that allow guests to visit both parks from their very first day" is a feature of the three official hotels: Features of Hotels in the Vicinity of Tokyo Disney Resort | Tokyo Disney Resort

Whether it is a good idea or not might be a different story . . .

Comment

Sorry for saying this but hopping wont let you do more things. It just wastes of your time. It took 20-45 minutes to go between parks depending on the monorail. Unless it is super light crowd like 15-30 minutes for major attractions, otherwise you will end up with walking and walking. Anyway finger cross for the superlight crowd, and sometimes it does happen.

Visit my pages (Nikkoap92) for lots of pictures from Tokyo Disney Resort ^_^

Facebook
                  Instagram
                  Flickr
                  Youtube

Comment

Are you visiting for more than one day?

Comment

You're visiting at the start of the summer, the parks can be crowded, so your plan may not work the way you think it will.

If you are visiting at least two days, it's best to experience each park for a full day rather than park hop both days.

Fastpasses can be gone well before noon on the popular attractions on busy days.

I've been visiting for years and reading these forums for years as well- with regards for Monsters Inc, everyone seems to recommend running madly for a fastpass- If you're there at park opening- I would suggest just riding it first, especially since the line for a fastpass can equal the line to get in. I've never waited more than a half hour at park opening.

One thing to think about, the wait times posted at the attractions are usually exaggerated- if it says 60 minutes, you may be out in 45 to 50 minutes. It's not set in stone, but I've never waited as long as the wait times posted at the attractions. I noticed they do this in the evenings as well to discourage people- I've seen an hour wait time posted at 9:30 or later and got thru in a few minutes.

Also, the park seems to clear out in the evenings right after the nighttime shows and fireworks, so you can get a lot done in that last hour.

I've never visited during the summer months, so what I've mentioned above may not be completely true, but this is what I've experienced when I visit, which is usually at the start of the Christmas programs in November & they are usually very busy.

Comment

From our last visit which was a year ago, they are very much enforcing FP return times.

Comment

Oh, and I agree with jedimaster, if you are there early enough and take advantage of early entry, then just skip FP for Monsters. Jump on the ride as soon as you can and then head for Pooh's Hunny Hunt.

Comment

Park Hop only to see a specific show or parade or just take in the atmosphere. Otherwise you lose too much time as mentioned, and you just hit well established crowds and long wait times. I've done it, a couple of times (by having two tickets) and each time I do it, I'm disappointed. But makes sense if you want to see a show.

Comment

I'll disagree: it takes far less time for me to get a FastPass for Monster's Inc (15 minutes) than getting on the standby line (45 minutes at least). I always get a FastPass from Monster's Inc (doing a power walk to get there--middle aged knees no run) and then ride Pooh's Hunny Hunt on Standby, about 35 minutes.

That's been my experience for the past 5 years, going twice a year. But jedimaster is certainly as experienced as me at this game, so his points are valid. I think we've both gone enough times to experience both options. Regardless, Monsters Inc and Pooh must be the first two things you deal with.

And, yes, FastPass times are enforced across the boards, whether you speak Japanese or not, because all the information is on the FastPass in English as well as Japanese.

I also second the vote NOT to park hop.

And the parks do clear out at night if it's raining, or on Sunday nights when the kids have to go to school the next day. However, most lines remain pretty long until 9:30.

One little tip: for some reason, the standby line for the Haunted Mansion completely clears out during Electrical Parade Dreamlights. If you watch the parade (and you MUST watch it) from right in front of the Mansion, then as soon as you can see the last float, just turn around and walk into the standby line and you'll go right in. In Tokyo, the Mansion often has a 45 minute to 2-hour wait.
                              Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

Comment

Working...
                              X