Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A shopping question: Tokyo-specific souvenirs (esp. shirts)?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] A shopping question: Tokyo-specific souvenirs (esp. shirts)?

I have read in a few trip reports that people have had difficulty finding merchandise that in some way proclaims that it is from Tokyo Disney. Are there any particular shops that are better for finding TDL merchandise? I know my teenage daughters will especially be looking for t-shirts.

Re: A shopping question: Tokyo-specific souvenirs (esp. shirts)?

Originally posted by AmyAnne View Post
    I have read in a few trip reports that people have had difficulty finding merchandise that in some way proclaims that it is from Tokyo Disney.
    This completely surprises me! You won't have ANY problem finding all sorts of merchandise branded TDL, TDS or TDR. None!

Comment

except for the WATCHES! Haha!

Visit my pages (Nikkoap92) for lots of pictures from Tokyo Disney Resort ^_^

Facebook
      Instagram
      Flickr
      Youtube

Comment

T-shirts are difficult! Most t-shirts are just character prints that are indeed exclusive to the resort, but there is no lettering on them. Your best bet is to go with special event t-shirts. One of my frustrations is that a lot of the other merchandise says Tokyo Disney RESORT when I want something specific to one park or the other.

This is actually one of the reasons I jumped on the Duffy train, because his tag specifically says Tokyo Disney SEA.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger55 View Post
          This completely surprises me! You won't have ANY problem finding all sorts of merchandise branded TDL, TDS or TDR. None!
          No!

It's spilling out into World Bazaar and across the Ponte Vecchio bridge in TDS!!!

You'll have to knock the CMs back from handing you merchandise branded "TDL" and "TDS"!!!!!

Comment

There's loads of TDL and TDS specific merchandise available. I agree that it is harder with the clothing- Very few shirts have the lettering on them- but at least in the past, they used to put Tokyo Disneyland or Tokyo Disney Sea on the sleeve or back, right by the neckline. But you usually don't see bold print of Tokyo Disneyland or Disney Sea on them.

I know most of the shirts are geared towards women. As usual, there is a very limited selection for men & sizes run very small. Most of the clothing designs are geared towards the characters and they change styles, colors and designs often since many sell out quickly.

I really don't think you will have any problems finding something.

Basically all of the shops carry the same merchandise- TDL specific merchandise is available in TDL and TDS specific merchandise is available at TDS. The Bon Voyage & some shops in the hotels will feature a limited selection from both parks. The Disney Stores carry their own line of branded merchandise.

Comment

Also keep in mind that Japanese sizes are smaller than standard American sizes -- the cut is just different, think narrower in the shoulders, shorter in length, etc. So, for example, if your daughter wears a small, she would probably need a medium. I typically wear L or even XL in US sizes and generally, I was never happy with the fit that I found in most Japanese sizes (I also lived in Japan for 3 years, so this wasn't restricted to just items I bought at the parks)

Comment

Something else to think about is that the aesthetic there is different. In some stores, you'll find large, colorful graphics, but then some of the items geared toward women will be very soft pastels with just hints at Disney. Also, you'll find more items geared towards characters not as popular as in the US, such as Marie from Aristocats. And I speak from experience, if you see something and you think that you kinda like it, GRAB IT. Because, when you get back across the Pacific, you will be kicking yourself for not getting it.

Comment

Pins that are specific to the Parks are incredibly hard to find. DisneySea is pretty good about putting it's name on a pin when it's connected to an event. But Tokyo Disneyland is very rare to find on a pin, I have found. Most of their event pins just says Disney.

Comment

I'm amazed by the reports you have read. I think finding merchandises are the least of your problems. You should probably worry about waiting in line for the cash register more.
                    sigpic

Aug 2003: Walt Disney World
                    Sept 2010 - May 2014: Disneyland and Disneyland California Adventure
                    Sept 2013: Disney Cruise Line Dream
                    Sept 2013: Walt Disney World
                    Jan 2014: Hong Kong Disneyland
                    May 2014: Tokyo Disneyland & Tokyo Disneysea
                    July 2014: Disney Cruise Line Fantasy
                    July 2014 - Current: WDW
                    December 2014: Disneyland Paris
                    May 2015 - July 2015 Disneyland and Disneyland California Adventure
                    May 2015 - Hong Kong Disneyland
                    June 2015 - Tokyo Disneyland & Tokyo Disneysea
                    September 2015 - Tokyo Disneyland & Tokyo Disneysea
                    December 2015 - Disneyland Paris

Comment

I went tit eh TDL resort during Easter this year and I could not find any clothing that said Tokyo Disneyland, Disney Sea or Tokyo Disney Resort. I was really disappointment and surprised as I wanted to bring t-shirts back for family and friends. I looked every where and could not find anything. I thought it was very strange not to offer any clothing that any of the parks or resort in them. In America there are t-shirts all over the stores. I found plenty of toys, candy and accessories that have resort/park specific merchandise. But, all the clothing just had characters on them with no resort/park branding on them. I ended up with a nice umbrella that said Tokyo Disney Sea. But, I live in So. Cal so I probably wont use it too much.
                      Galactic Member

Comment

Originally posted by spacejockey View Post
                        I went tit eh TDL resort during Easter this year and I could not find any clothing that said Tokyo Disneyland, Disney Sea or Tokyo Disney Resort. I was really disappointment and surprised as I wanted to bring t-shirts back for family and friends. I looked every where and could not find anything. I thought it was very strange not to offer any clothing that any of the parks or resort in them. In America there are t-shirts all over the stores. I found plenty of toys, candy and accessories that have resort/park specific merchandise. But, all the clothing just had characters on them with no resort/park branding on them. I ended up with a nice umbrella that said Tokyo Disney Sea. But, I live in So. Cal so I probably wont use it too much.
                        I think the reason is because the target market in Asia is very different than in the America. People in Asia like small cute merchandises instead of having anything slapped on with a giant logo. Not to mention that majority of people who visit the parks are local.
                        sigpic

Aug 2003: Walt Disney World
                        Sept 2010 - May 2014: Disneyland and Disneyland California Adventure
                        Sept 2013: Disney Cruise Line Dream
                        Sept 2013: Walt Disney World
                        Jan 2014: Hong Kong Disneyland
                        May 2014: Tokyo Disneyland & Tokyo Disneysea
                        July 2014: Disney Cruise Line Fantasy
                        July 2014 - Current: WDW
                        December 2014: Disneyland Paris
                        May 2015 - July 2015 Disneyland and Disneyland California Adventure
                        May 2015 - Hong Kong Disneyland
                        June 2015 - Tokyo Disneyland & Tokyo Disneysea
                        September 2015 - Tokyo Disneyland & Tokyo Disneysea
                        December 2015 - Disneyland Paris

Comment

Originally posted by spacejockey View Post
                          I feel like this is how the majority of foreign visitors to the parks feel. I'm kind of shocked with the responses in this thread and am curious as to whether they are responses based on actual items posters have found or just experiences peering into stores. If any of you posters have clothing akin to what the OP is looking for, I'm genuinely interested to see pictures if you have them. There's no lack of resort-exclusive merchandise, that's for sure. But the VAST majority of merchandise doesn't proclaim that it's from the resort to an uneducated eye. There's more a variety of sweets because it's custom to bring them back for your friends and especially your co-workers if you took time off work to go.

Again, as far as t-shirts go, the seasonal event t-shirts are your best bet. Of course they'll say "Tokyo DisneySea Tanabata Days" or "Tokyo Disneyland Natsu Matsuri" or something like that with the event having the larger emphasis...but that's usually the best you can do.

This Twitter account has updates with all seasonal merchandise as it's announced: https://twitter.com/news_tdr

Comment

We just spent a week at the Tokyo Disney Resort. We went into every (EVERY!) shop and found exactly one TShirt that said Tokyo DisneySea (tucked in a corner and completely unnoticed) and exactly zero that said Tokyo Disneyland.

Comment

Hence my sarcastic post above! ^

It's MADDENING and INFURIATING but I got over it in 2001 when I visited the park just after opening.

It's almost as if the OLC is ashamed to promote the park or something.

It's actually really, REALLY weird!

Comment

Originally posted by TDS Traveller View Post
                                Hence my sarcastic post above! ^
                                Okay, now I'm embarrassed. How did I not catch the sarcasm?!

Comment

I found two t-shirts today while at TDL.

One is grey and is for the 32nd anniversary. The second t-shirt is lime green and is for this year's Disney Easter.

Also found two youth t-shirts featuring TDR transportation vehicles.

I have not yet even checked TDS.

I cant seem to figure out how to post pictures from my smartphone. It might have to wait until I return home to a PC.

I I can definitively say there are t-shirts branded TDL and TDR. Not a lot, but they do exist.

Comment

I was surprised to find a Tokyo Disneyland Hotel hat, when I stayed at the hotel. And believe me I bought a few of them

Comment

Working...
                                    X