Announcement

Collapse

Reminder

It is against MiceChat's rules to promote any violations of Disney's rules. Members who choose to brag about breaking Disney's rules, or who encourage others to break Disney rules, will be immediately banned. There will be no exceptions.
See more
See less

Thoughts on a December visit to TDR, etc.

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sanstress
    started a topic [Question] Thoughts on a December visit to TDR, etc.

Thoughts on a December visit to TDR, etc.

We are planning a trip for December and will be in Tokyo from late Tuesday, 12/8 through Sunday, 12/13. Would it be best to avoid TDR on the weekend? We are considering a return visit the Ghibli Museum and maybe a trip to the Ramen Museum. Any thoughts on where to go on which days to avoid the worst of the crowds? Thanks!

• Sanstress
    replied
    Re: Thoughts on a December visit to TDR, etc.

Has anyone visited the Fujiko F. Fujio Museum (Doraemon) in Kawasaki?

Leave a comment:

• Sanstress
    replied

So many options - I have lists of various ramen places that are reportedly very good, but I'm not sure that I could actually find some (most) of them. I read an article that the ramen museum (Shinyokohama Raumen Museum) was a fun experience, but I realize that the ramen would not likely be as good as the home-cooked/less commercial ramen shops.

I think I'd choose that ramen museum over the Cup Noodles museum, only because I've eaten way too many cup noodles. They are good, but nothing beats good ramen.

I had to look up Minato Mirai. That area looks pretty crazy (lots of shopping and everything else). I'll research that further.

Thanks everyone for your opinions and suggestion - much appreciated!

Leave a comment:

• DisneySeaFan
    replied

Originally posted by Sanstress View Post
    \

Yes, the ramen museum in Shin-Yokohama. Do you think it is worth the trip? My husband thought it'd be neat to see a bit of Yokohama. We'll also spend a couple of days in Kyoto before, but I'm just not sure how cold it might be if we want to see some of the temples. I read that there is a ramen arcade in the Isetan department store so I'm getting excited.

Thanks!
    If you'd like to see a bit of Yokohama, I'd make Minato Mirai your main priority and the ramen museum the after thought. It's nice, but it is NOT the place to go to try ramen. It's a lovely and fascinating display, but the ramen is overpriced and mediocre.

Don't throw out the idea of eating ramen at the museum just because there is better ramen restaurants else where.

The reason why they serve ramen at the Cup Noodle Museum is to showcase different noodle dishes from around the world. There are noodles from Thailand, Malaysia, Korea, China, Indonesia, Italy, Kazakhstan and Vietnam. Each are available in small sampling portions so you can try several different ones.

True, but this is not the ramen museum in question. This is the cup noodle musuem in basahamichi which is worth checking out if you're into cup noodles.

Leave a comment:

• Roger55
    replied

Don't throw out the idea of eating ramen at the museum just because there is better ramen restaurants else where.

The reason why they serve ramen at the Cup Noodle Museum is to showcase different noodle dishes from around the world. There are noodles from Thailand, Malaysia, Korea, China, Indonesia, Italy, Kazakhstan and Vietnam. Each are available in small sampling portions so you can try several different ones.

While this may not compare to eating ramen at many of the ramen shop outside the museum, in my opinion it is quite fun and a unique opportunity to try many different style noodles. I always do it when I go to the museum.

Go to this link and click on the Brochures link to see what types of noodles are available to eat.

Overview of CUPNOODLES MUSEUM | !!! CUPNOODLES MUSEUM

Leave a comment:

• Fukai
    replied

Just as each city in the US has its own "flavor," so it goes in Japan.

Even visiting the major cities like Tokyo, Osaka, and Nagoya yield a completely different feeling. Yokohama is also very nice (and conveniently close to Tokyo). But home-cooked ramen in a restaurant is going to be better than what you'll get in a museum.

Leave a comment:

• Sanstress
    replied

Thanks Fukai and DisneySeaFan - then we will avoid the resort on the weekend and plan some other activities. I remember our tour group taking the Ghibli Museum bus from the train to the museum. Walking vs. bus might depend on how cold it is in December. I think I read that I can buy tickets 3 months in advance so I'll note that date and keep the tour option as a back-up if we can't get tickets (although we didn't get to spend as much time at the museum as we would have liked on the tour).

Yes, the ramen museum in Shin-Yokohama. Do you think it is worth the trip? My husband thought it'd be neat to see a bit of Yokohama. We'll also spend a couple of days in Kyoto before, but I'm just not sure how cold it might be if we want to see some of the temples. I read that there is a ramen arcade in the Isetan department store so I'm getting excited.

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• DisneySeaFan
    replied

Yes, avoid the resort on the weekend at all costs.

The Ghibli museum is a bit of a walk from both major train stations, but not impossible to navigate. I'd recommend taking a bus from Mitaka (although the walk through Inokashira Park from Kichijoji is beautiful) if you're concerned about navigation. I'm guessing you know this also, but be sure to reserve your tickets as early as possible! It's reservation only and sells out pretty far in advance.

And I'm guessing you're talking about the ramen museum in Shin-Yokohama? The main floor is gorgeously themed (like rivals-a-Disney-park themed) but I can't recommend any of the ramen. You can find FAR better ramen at almost any hole in the wall in Shinjuku.

Leave a comment:

• Fukai
    replied

Originally posted by Roger55 View Post
    Simple rule of thumb....

Always avoid TDR on weekends when at all possible.
    This. An absolute rule.

Leave a comment:

• Sanstress
    replied

Thanks Roger55! I was afraid you'd say that, but it makes sense. When we visited the Ghibli Museum back in 2011, we took a day tour out there. I'm looking at the Museum website and I'm not sure how much of a challenge it will be to get tickets on our own or to find our way there on our own. Did you go on your own?

Leave a comment:

• Roger55
    replied

Simple rule of thumb....

Always avoid TDR on weekends when at all possible.

Ramen Museum on the weekend is crowded but manageable. If you want to participate in the hand making Chicken Ramen noodles class you should make reservations ahead of time.

Ghibli on the weekend is more crowded but also manageable.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X