Announcement

Collapse
See more
See less

Best way to travel Universal Japan to Tokyo / Tokyo DIsney?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Best way to travel Universal Japan to Tokyo / Tokyo DIsney?

Planning a huge Asia trip next year with stops at Shanghai for Shanghai Disneyland, Hong Kong for Hong Kong Disneyland and Tokyo for Tokyo Disneyland.

I was thinking of taking a side trip to Osaka and Universal Japan.

What would be your recommendations on getting this trip done.

Thank you
    Brian

Re: Best way to travel Universal Japan to Tokyo / Tokyo DIsney?

Many here have done similar trips. It would be helpful if you asked some specific questions.

Comment

I did it six weeks ago. It's really easy - just remember that Osaka and Shin Osaka Station are not the same thing. Otherwise, you'll be fine!

Oh and I recorded on my phone the little "I've been working on the railroad" tune that plays at Bentencho Station - it was SO kawaii!!!!

Comment

Im not sure what is your budget but it looks like you are going to spend alots at 4 cities. So I recommend budget Super Hotel with hot spring for an authentic Japanese experience.

Just note that there is no re-entry and Fastpass at Universal Osaka.

Visit my pages (Nikkoap92) for lots of pictures from Tokyo Disney Resort ^_^

Facebook
        Instagram
        Flickr
        Youtube

Comment

Universal does have the Express pass, however.

The most you can get is Express Pass Seven and that's up around $80, depending on which country and which currency you're using.

While it's expensive, it's also kind of necessary as NO MATTER where you go in Japan and at what time of the year, there will be LITERALLY hundreds of school children, some even in school uniform who will be there, in the middle of the day and the middle of the week. You'll be a bit annoyed that your expensive holiday is being mobbed by hundreds of children who otherwise should be in class, rather than being at theme parks!

It confused us as to exactly when these children actually went to school to study!

Comment

I braved USJ the week after Wizarding World of Harry Potter opened in the middle of the summer without the express pass and it was doable. The longest line we waited in was 80 minutes for Forbidden Journey. I was actually really glad I didn't buy the express pass because to me, it wouldn't have been worth it in that I was able to ride everything I wanted to with time to spare.
            Last edited by DisneySeaFan; 06-08-2015, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Is it better to fly into Osaka for Universal and then take the train to Tokyo?
              Or fly into Narita then take the train to Osaka?
              Or fly into either Narita or Osaka then fly into each city instead of taking the train?

Comment

Originally posted by Brisal73 View Post
                Or fly into either Narita or Osaka then fly into each city instead of taking the train?
                Flying into Kansai Intl (Osaka) from outside of Japan is usually more expensive than flying into Narita or Haneda. If cost isn't a concern fly into Kansai, visit Osaka then fly to Haneda or Narita.

If you want to experience the Shinkansen (bullet train) you can ride it from Shin-Osaka station to Tokyo. It's not that much longer travel time if you factor in the time at the airport getting through security and waiting to board.

What else do you want to do in Osaka? If all you want to see is USJ then you could just do a one day turnaround from Tokyo. It'll be a long day but if you don't plan to do anything else in Osaka it is an option. In this scenario I'd take the Shinkansen. Check the timetable and look what's doable. Again if cost is not a concern take the "Nozomi" (express) or "Hikari" (limited express). Do not take the "Kodama" (regular) train as it stops at every station.

Id say you should determine what you want to do in each city, allocate the days, then based on how much time you want to use for travel you can decide on the routes and methods.

Comment

Originally posted by Brisal73 View Post
                  The Shinkansen is miles more convenient and probably takes less time when you factor in airport security. As far as cost, it will depend because airline prices are usually unstable. Flying is usually cheaper than the Shinkansen, but not by a ton. Flying in to Narita will likely be your least expensive option, but deals always pop up so you never know.
                  Last edited by DisneySeaFan; 08-30-2015, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Don't forget going from Narita airport to Tokyo station is already a costly and time consuming affair.

You can actually fly from either Hong Kong or Shanghai direct to Kansai Airport, there are many flights available.

From Kansai Airport you travel to Namba and then proceed to Osaka/Umeda to USJ. After you are finished with USJ, you can return to Osaka and get to Shin-Osaka for the Shinkansen to Tokyo. It will be fast but it won't be cheap.
                    Jul 1992: Disneyland Paris
                    Apr 2006: Hong Kong Disneyland
                    Jul 2010: Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure
                    Mar 2011: Hong Kong Disneyland
                    Jul 2013: Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea
                    Sep 2013: Hong Kong Disneyland
                    Jul 2014: Disney California Adventure

Comment

Going from Narita Airport to Tokyo Station costs under $30 on the Airport Limousine Bus. Or you can just take the train. Both are cheap, and the train gets there in, what, 30 minutes? 45 minutes?

If you want to go directly from Tokyo Station (after exiting the Bullet Train) to the Tokyo Disney Resort, just take the JR Maihama Line: it takes about 15 minutes.

If Roger says you can successfully take the Shinkansen from Tokyo to Osaka, do Universal Studios (and see most of the attractions) and travel back to Tokyo in the same day ... well, I assume he must have done it, but it doesn't sound enjoyable to me.
                      Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

Comment

The NEX train from Narita to Tokyo is about half the price it used to be, for foreigners, which is nice. The train is also quite nice and comfortable, ESPECIALLY after you're cramped in economy class on a plane for 12 hours
                        My Blog: http://imagineeringmind.wordpress.com

Parks Visited: MK - EPCOT - DHS - DAK - DL - DCA - HKDL - TDL - TDS

Comment

The cost of the Shinkansen from Tokyo to Osaka cannot be that much cheaper than flying, if you plan well and book early. There are lots of budget airlines in Japan that does the trip. I never understand why you have to take Shinkansen to Osaka from Tokyo, if you are already at Narita or Haneda.

Just did a quick search on a budget airline, for 12 Jul flight from Narita to Kansai and 14 Jul rtn. It is about 12,000 yen incl tax. It is 1.5 hours approx one way.

Shinkansen Nozomi ONE WAY is already 14,450 yen. It takes 2.5 hours approx one way, plus travel 30-45 minutes from Narita airport to Tokyo Station.

I know what my choice would be.
                          Last edited by Asa; 07-02-2015, 07:47 PM.
                          Jul 1992: Disneyland Paris
                          Apr 2006: Hong Kong Disneyland
                          Jul 2010: Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure
                          Mar 2011: Hong Kong Disneyland
                          Jul 2013: Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea
                          Sep 2013: Hong Kong Disneyland
                          Jul 2014: Disney California Adventure

Comment

Great information. Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by TDS Traveller View Post
                              Universal does have the Express pass, however.

The most you can get is Express Pass Seven and that's up around $80, depending on which country and which currency you're using.

While it's expensive, it's also kind of necessary as NO MATTER where you go in Japan and at what time of the year, there will be LITERALLY hundreds of school children, some even in school uniform who will be there, in the middle of the day and the middle of the week. You'll be a bit annoyed that your expensive holiday is being mobbed by hundreds of children who otherwise should be in class, rather than being at theme parks!

It confused us as to exactly when these children actually went to school to study!
                              So Japanese children living in Osaka shouldn't get in the way of foreign tourists visiting their country? Superfans who've been to USH, Universal Orlando, Disney parks... vs. kids who are learning English and learning about the world - who are usually under pressure for school performance but get this one day off to have some fun, courtesy of this outpost of America.

Guess who I'd be rooting for?

Comment

Originally posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
                                So Japanese children living in Osaka shouldn't get in the way of foreign tourists visiting their country? Superfans who've been to USH, Universal Orlando, Disney parks... vs. kids who are learning English and learning about the world - who are usually under pressure for school performance but get this one day off to have some fun, courtesy of this outpost of America.

Guess who I'd be rooting for?
                                I agree with you but I think they skip the class. I dont think they will check attendance in school in Japan.

Visit my pages (Nikkoap92) for lots of pictures from Tokyo Disney Resort ^_^

Facebook
                                Instagram
                                Flickr
                                Youtube

Comment

Working...
                                X