Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Planning a big Japan trip with some days at the Resorts- any recommendations?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Planning a big Japan trip with some days at the Resorts- any recommendations?

Ueno was a big disappointment for me. I would suggest skipping it altogether.

As far as your free days are concerned, why don't you go to Kyoto and Nara. Both places are really cool!
    Walt Disney World Off-Site January 2001, Off-Site July 2001, Off-Site January 2003, All-Star Movies January 2005, Animal Kingdom Lodge November 2007, Cabins at Fort Wilderness July 2010, Port Orleans Riverside August 2013. Disneyland Paradise Pier October 2011, Grand Californian December 2012 . Disneyland Paris Disneyland Hotel June 2012 :wizard: Tokyo Disney Resort Miracosta Hotel + Disneyland Hotel + Ambassador Hotel May 2015 My TDR TR http://www.disboards.com/threads/tdr...#post-54885231

Comment

Re: Planning a big Japan trip with some days at the Resorts- any recommendations?

I forgot to add HyperDia | 乗換案内 路線検索 時刻表 旅費精算 通勤費 ダイヤ作成なら is great for trip planning. You can get timetables for almost any trip in Japan and search for JR and shinkansen only routes.

If if you travel away from Tokyo Kyoto is amazing and Himeji has the most fantastic castle I've ever visited. I'm sure no matter where you go you'll have a great time

Comment

Comment

I always get one of these pre-paid cards when I'm in Tokyo for more than a few hours.

Comment

OK- I've finally got most of the logistics worked out:

Days 1-10 in Tokyo (10 days)
            Days 11-15 in Osaka (3.5 days)
            Days 16-19 in Kyoto (3.5 days)

Tokyo Stuff:
            * 4 days at the Disney Parks
            * Odaiba Island
            * Shibuya
            * National Museum
            * Museum of Science & Nature
            * Akihabara
            * Ueno Zoo (still on the fence about this one, but it's close enough to other things that I can bail early if it sucks)
            * Seno-ji, Asakusa Temple, the Pokemon Center, and a few other things.
            * Arcade crawl: Joypolis, HEY!, Club SEGA, Bar-A-Button, Super Potato, Taito (might be fun to check out randomly)
            * Hakeijima Aquarium (maybe- Yokohama isn't too far)

* A bunch of these days will also include walking tours through different neighborhoods and stuff like that, plus enough extra time to fill with other things. Maybe a day trip here or there.

Osaka:
            * Osaka Station City
            * Nipponbashi Dendentown (sounds like Akihabara)
            * Tenjinbashisuju (Shopping district)
            * ****ennoji Temple and a few other Temples
            * Osaka Aquarium

Kyoto:
            (still working on stuff to do here. Apparently the walking tours are ideal if you split up the one big historical district into two different days)

Thanks for the advice, everyone!

Comment

I thought 3 days was enough for TDR, but with 4 you could really take your time (and increase your chance of seeing the shows you need to win the lottery for). For Kyoto, I highly recommend renting a bike to take a self-guided tour of the temples!

Comment

You need a lottery for certain shows? I wasn't aware of that- what shows are there? I was mainly concerned with the rides (I planned the trip so the largest number of rides would be open and not being refurbed).

I'm thinking of getting the rail pass just for the convenience- it's a 17-day trip, but I might get the 21-day pass just for convenience. It's only a hundred dollars or so more.

Of course, I could ALSO just pay the minor fees getting from place to place (across Tokyo seems like around 690 yen), and save the pass for the big cross-country trips.

Comment

Originally posted by Jabroniville View Post
                  You need a lottery for certain shows? I wasn't aware of that- what shows are there? I was mainly concerned with the rides (I planned the trip so the largest number of rides would be open and not being refurbed).
                  Here is info about the lottery for shows. Unfortunately I didn't win any during my 2-day trip, but I had lots of fun anyway. I was very amused by the Table in Waiting show, which is in the American Waterfront in DisneySea and you don't need a lottery ticket for it.

http://tdrexplorer.com/how-to-use-th...disney-resort/

Comment

I was planning on going to the Disney parks on Oct. 12-15th, but apparently that Monday is a "National Sports Day" or something. As as public holiday, would that increase the amount of people in the park overly-much? The "Park Crowd" sites I'm looking at both have that Monday & Tuesday at the same crowd levels, and based off of what the holiday's about (school athletic competitions), I figured more kids would be doing that than going to the parks. Does that Monday seem okay to go?

Naturally I'm going to avoid the weekend, but I could go on Friday instead (it has the same crowd-level as Mon & Tues, though).

I'm noticing October's slightly busier than Sept or November on the sites, which is too bad- I chose October because I was told it was one of the cheaper times to visit. Oh well- I'm sure the usual "arrive before park opening" trick still works for getting the most done as quickly as you can.

Comment

Make sure you hit up an onsen at some point on your trip. LaQua at Tokyo Dome City is a great introduction to the onsen world.

Instead of exchanging money at the airport, we withdrew from our bank accounts at the Seven Bank atm located there. It's part of the 7-11 Japan Corporation. The exchange rate was great and the fee was minimal.

Comment

Working...
                      X