Announcement

Collapse

Reminder

It is against MiceChat's rules to promote any violations of Disney's rules. Members who choose to brag about breaking Disney's rules, or who encourage others to break Disney rules, will be immediately banned. There will be no exceptions.
See more
See less

Tower of Terror Set to Open Sep 4!!!!

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tower of Terror Set to Open Sep 4!!!!

Originally posted by TheManator
    I personally (and really doesn't matter) think, if this ride (not the preshow or queue) is so small, why is the building so big? From the story and experience that was described, I think the RIDE portion of this attraction should be bigger and more elaborate. Besides the story and the queue of the attraction, the ride sounds the same (with a few slight differences) than the one at DCA. But that won't really be bad I guess, since Indy is more or the same as the one in DLR, except for the minor changes and the awesome (but not too much better) building and queue.
    I think even the foot print and overaly basics of the building are identical to DCA's.

Comment

Originally posted by TDLFAN
      [snip - stuff about architecture and design]
      Nice try, but I think what Shrunken Ned is referring to is how 'top-heavy' the TOT clones are. Their upper floors spread out horizontally wider at top in a fashion you'll never see in real buildings, not only because it's unfeasable but also because it's ugly.

I have to agree with him on that. The DisneySea tower is every bit as ugly as the DCA tower that I think ruins the Disneyland skyline. The only difference is that thanks to OLC's open purse strings, the TDS tower building has gewgaws on top of it's decorations sitting next to it's trinkets. They've never heard that old lesson about what happens when you dip a turd in gold.

Comment

Originally posted by MickeyMania
        Nice try, but I think what Shrunken Ned is referring to is how 'top-heavy' the TOT clones are. Their upper floors spread out horizontally wider at top in a fashion you'll never see in real buildings, not only because it's unfeasable but also because it's ugly.

I have to agree with him on that. The DisneySea tower is every bit as ugly as the DCA tower that I think ruins the Disneyland skyline. The only difference is that thanks to OLC's open purse strings, the TDS tower building has gewgaws on top of it's decorations sitting next to it's trinkets. They've never heard that old lesson about what happens when you dip a turd in gold.
        well that's harsh, although I'm puzzled that they didn't just expand the width of the tower to hide the hammer top the way it is in Florida, still the New York tower is nowhere near as ugly as DCA's "pueblo deco" abomination. I mean sure the New York version of the Tower is architecturally "ugly" but I think all the bells and whistles makes up for it, I mean, not everyone is architecturally informed as some people are.

although I also kind of agree with what that other poster said that considering the ride portion of the attraction, it ain't all that. I don't want to see another "Mysteries of the Nautilus" happen where people find this awesome queue, awesome building, awesome everything and then realize it was all for a lousy show with a squid, or in this case, just going up and down on an elevator a couple of times. I would personally prefer the 3 abandoned D-tickets in AW than having a lackluster ToT.
        Last edited by stitcharielsinbad; 03-13-2006, 01:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by stitcharielsinbad
          well that's harsh, although I'm puzzled that they didn't just expand the width of the tower to hide the hammer top the way it is in Florida,
          You would think they wouldn't mind the extra money for steel, the extra concrete and the extra "decor" but this isn't WDC 1994 I guess.

still the New York tower is nowhere near as ugly as DCA's "pueblo deco" abomination. quote]
          Hey now! Pueblo Deco is a wicked cool style, all its own. I am a fan.

But something about DCA's front (as I look at it now) is just smaller...so the scale works better with the short tower height. I still maintain Tokyo's front is too tall and the back is too short...but maybe they height is translating to cool new show scenes.

Comment

Originally posted by MickeyMania
            The DisneySea tower is every bit as ugly as the DCA tower that I think ruins the Disneyland skyline. The only difference is that thanks to OLC's open purse strings, the TDS tower building has gewgaws on top of it's decorations sitting next to it's trinkets. They've never heard that old lesson about what happens when you dip a turd in gold.
            I think it is unfair to judge this tower based on what you see on photos.. You have to take in the whole picture to really appreciate what they have done here... I have tried (apparently unsuccesfully) to show how this TOT blends with the rest of American Waterfront and the effect is stunning. I may have some more pictures as early as tomorrow... if you behave.

Comment

I think it is unfair to judge this tower based on what you see on photos.. You have to take in the whole picture to really appreciate what they have done here... I have tried (apparently unsuccesfully) to show how this TOT blends with the rest of American Waterfront and the effect is stunning. I may have some more pictures as early as tomorrow... if you behave.
              he's talking about the structural design comparing it to real buildings and how it is supposedly aesthetically "ugly". I personally don't really mind it, it's still the prettiest ToT in my book, bad architechture or not.

Comment

I don't think it's bad architecture perse but it's different and unique and as such... people will either like it or dismiss it as 'bad'. But it's obvious...the imagineers went for a radical style that defined the era of ornated designs in early 20th century NYC. I saw the mosque that inspired TOT with my own eyes and thought of it to be stunning. (BTW...my idea of 'bad' architecture is: Dolphin/Swan Hotels, both east and west Team Disney buildings, WDW's Casting Building...)

Comment

I don't think it's bad architecture perse but it's different and unique and as such... people will either like it or dismiss it as 'bad'. But it's obvious...the imagineers went for a radical style that defined the era of ornated designs in early 20th century NYC. I saw the mosque that inspired TOT with my own eyes and thought of it to be stunning. (BTW...my idea of 'bad' architecture is: Dolphin/Swan Hotels, both east and west Team Disney buildings, WDW's Casting Building...)
                  well its our opinion against someone who seems to be architecturally informed.

Personally, I think the new york-ified tower is mighty purty.

Comment

(BTW...my idea of 'bad' architecture is: Dolphin/Swan Hotels, both east and west Team Disney buildings, WDW's Casting Building...)
                    I won't agree on the Swan & Dolphin but I'll agree on the casting building and TDA and TDO buildings...
                    :ot: Lol but don't say that to someone into architecture...those are all done by "good" architects and the moment you don't absolutely LOVE and ENJOY everything by an architect like that you are considered low class uncivilized and you don't count. :rant:
                    Sorry rant over. Back to the tower.

Comment

Working...
                    X