• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DL_CRAZE
    Waiting 4 DCA Demolition
    • Mar 2005

Tower of Terror Set to Open Sep 4!!!!

It was announced that Tower of Terror at Tokyo DisneySea will open on September 4th, Should be great to see how ithe attrraction works out without the Twilight Zone storyline.
    "Walt Disney World may have more than Disneyland, but Disneyland has quality, and quality triumphs over quantity" -DL_CRAZE

Re: Tower of Terror Set to Open Sep 4!!!!

I wish I could ride it in July.
    Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

Comment

• Speedway
      Former Epcot CM
      • Jan 2005

I wish I could ride it full stop.
      BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
      October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
      October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
      April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
      October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
      October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
      October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
      October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
      December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
      July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
      July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
      July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
      February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
      February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
      TRIP REPORTS

Comment

• TDR_Fan
        MiceChatter
        • Feb 2006

Any word on soft openings?

Comment

• DisneySeaFan
          Sea Creature
          • Aug 2005

Where did you find this?
          Edit: Just saw the press release on olc's site. Darn, I was hoping for a summer opening, that seems to be the wisest choice but I guess they won't be ready. They'll release a quality ride with hardly any flaws that's for sure.
          www.jtcent.com
          Here's a link to the official story that came with the press release, for some reason, it says September 6 on jtcent and the 4th on olc.
          Last edited by DisneySeaFan; 02-28-2006, 03:16 PM.

Comment

• TDR_Fan
            MiceChatter
            • Feb 2006

Originally posted by DisneySeaFan
            Where did you find this?
            Edit: Just saw the press release on olc's site. Darn, I was hoping for a summer opening, that seems to be the wisest choice but I guess they won't be ready. They'll release a quality ride with hardly any flaws that's for sure.
            Does that mean I won't be able to ride at all in July? I sure hope previews start in the summer.

Comment

• DisneySeaFan
              Sea Creature
              • Aug 2005

Originally posted by TDR_Fan
              Does that mean I won't be able to ride at all in July? I sure hope previews start in the summer.
              Who knows? All the more reason to go back.

Comment

• TDR_Fan
                MiceChatter
                • Feb 2006

Originally posted by DisneySeaFan
                Who knows? All the more reason to go back.
                But I won't be able to go for a LONG time after this so I'm a bit disappointed that I'll just BARELY miss riding this. Why did it have to open in Spetember? If it wasn't for the fact that my trip is so close to the opening date, I wouldn't feel this bad.

Comment

• DisneyLurker
                  • Jan 2005

I bet there will be plenty of opportunities for previews from mid-July. Count on it.

Comment

• TDLFAN
                    Banned User
                    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by DL_CRAZE
                    It was announced that Tower of Terror at Tokyo DisneySea will open on September 4th.
                    Yes... I think I mentioned this several months ago.

Originally posted by TDR FAN
                    Any word on soft openings?
                    Rumor is late July or early August.

Comment

• shrunken ned
                      Self service witchdoctor
                      • Nov 2005

I know I'm the only one that thinnks this, but that design for the TDL tower is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen constructed. Can we say proportion? The relative scale of all the elements is laughable. no self respecting architect would EVER do somehting that out of balance. Talk about pasting crap on a pig. WDI has lost ALL of it's architectural sensibility with the last few Towers that have those overhangs at the top. What a joke. Just because there is icing does not mean there is a cake.
                      ..and take the advice tendered below and thank you for patronizing Shrunken Ned, the jungle's only self service witch doctor.

Comment

• DisneySeaFan
                        Sea Creature
                        • Aug 2005

The "TDL tower" huh? I'm gonna just stop right there.

Comment

• TDR_Fan
                          MiceChatter
                          • Feb 2006

Originally posted by shrunken ned
                          I know I'm the only one that thinnks this, but that design for the TDL tower is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen constructed. Can we say proportion? The relative scale of all the elements is laughable. no self respecting architect would EVER do somehting that out of balance. Talk about pasting crap on a pig. WDI has lost ALL of it's architectural sensibility with the last few Towers that have those overhangs at the top. What a joke. Just because there is icing does not mean there is a cake.
                          Do you have any pictures which show this because I'm having a hard time believing you. I think it looks quite nice...

Comment

• tloolgb
                            Internet.Serious Business
                            • May 2005

I don't know that I'll agree with all of that but all the photos we get to see (I'll agree here) the tower looks out of proportion and way to short for the style and for it's front part.
                            However TDLFan has said in real life the tower is not that off-looking and I'll respect his opinion on the general look of the tower.

Comment

• TDLFAN
                              Banned User
                              • Feb 2005

What you do not know is that this TOT is designed differently because of it's surroundings and historical value in regards to *real* buildings in NYC... and remember, this TOT is located in American Waterfront!!
                              This was posted by another person on a different site:

>>>>I find the architectural style of the newest Tower of Terror to be a very interesting choice, and so completely different than any of the other ToTs. You could sit for hours looking at all the details.

The tower is designed in Moorish-Islamic Revival style. Some of the most obvious giveaways are the use of not-quite-round arches (seen in JoeInJpn's update Picture #218), the minarets (towers) with onion shaped dome (Picture #220), the use of striped bars of alternating colors (Picture #211) and the star shapes throughout the building.

I think these 2 buildings were big inspriation for the tower:
                              Central Synagogue, New York, built 1839:
                              http://www.nyu.edu/classes/finearts/.../synagogue.JPG

http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/medny/nyack.html

Dohany Streety Synagogue, Budapest:
                              http://images.google.com/images?clie...-8&sa=N&tab=wi

The architecture style fits in with the theme of the tower and the American Waterfront because during the 1800's, many western countries were looking to the Middle East and Asia for artistic and academic inspiration. Moorish-Islamic Revival Arcitecture was thought of as romantic and pleasurable to the upper classes of New York and London. Moorish style was particularly popular in hotels, theaters and gardens in the 1800's. The adjascent waterworks building (bathrooms and first aid), is in the Tudor Revival style.

Here are some more examples:

Madison Square Gardens, New York:
                              http://www.nyc-architecture.com/GON/GON016.htm

Moorish Revival architecture:
                              http://images.google.com/images?svnu...al&btnG=Search
                              <<<<<

Hope that helps make some people understand there was more thought than meets the eye in regards to TDS' TOT.

Comment

• TDLFAN
                                Banned User
                                • Feb 2005

Thanks to MouseInfo.com's poster mcstewart37 for the previous information above!!!!

Comment

• FI183
                                  Banned User
                                  • Jul 2005

nice source TDLFan!! I just have to say, I LOVE IT!! It looks sooo beautiful and detailed! And I love the 3 HUGE windo arcs!! But are they gonna add actual creepy stuff soon? Like broken glass(like in the concept art)? Because that would add to the atmosphere more.

Comment

• TDLFAN
                                    Banned User
                                    • Feb 2005

If you are ever in New York city.... go to the corner of Lexington Ave. and 55th... and take a look at that synagogue there... it's stunning to look at since it resembles TDS' TOT in most every way....down to the smallest details around window sills and such. I was like... OMG!!!! I am telling you... TDS' TOT is the most inspired Tower so far.. As for the hammer top.. yes it is unfortunate and not all that cosmetically pleasant.. but I have been told that it is due to the way the ride equipment is installed.... but can't elaborate on this.. just speculation.

Comment

• TheManator
                                      Banned User
                                      • Jan 2005

I personally (and really doesn't matter) think, if this ride (not the preshow or queue) is so small, why is the building so big? From the story and experience that was described, I think the RIDE portion of this attraction should be bigger and more elaborate. Besides the story and the queue of the attraction, the ride sounds the same (with a few slight differences) than the one at DCA. But that won't really be bad I guess, since Indy is more or the same as the one in DLR, except for the minor changes and the awesome (but not too much better) building and queue.

Comment

• TDLFAN
                                        Banned User
                                        • Feb 2005

I guess we'll have to ride and find out...

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X