This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snow Queen and music for Sinbad?

For Disney Creative Entertainment, Menken is creating a stage musical of "The Snow Queen," set to debut at Tokyo DisneySea with Amon Miyamoto directing and John Weidman as the bookwriter and Glen Slater the lyricist. He also is writing music for a Sinbad attraction in Japan for Walt Disney Imagineering.
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr..._id=1002076606

Re: Snow Queen and music for Sinbad?

Yeah I read about Snow Queen a little while ago, I have no idea what it is. Sinbad I believe is getting an overhaul with new music and some tweaks to the story and scenes.

Comment

Snow Queen is an old fairy tale...but to Tokyo DisneySea and not TDL? Where themeatically does it fit?

(Or does it not matter since it's a TDR production and it will be superior to everything ever made? )
      Last edited by tloolgb; 03-07-2006, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tloolgb
        Snow Queen is an old fairy tale...but to Tokyo DisneySea and not TDL? Where themeatically does it fit?

(Or does it not matter since it's a TDR production and it will be superior to everything ever made? :P )
        It'll probably replace Encore as a broadway show in American Waterfront...either that or it's gonna be in a new "port" ....North Pole anyone?

Comment

I found this info on another discussion board:

FYI, "The Snow Queen" originally written by Hans Christian Andersen is a very popular story in Japan. And this is the story being worked on by Disney and Alan Menken for the new show that will replace "Encore" at the Broadway Music Theatre (BMT). The BMT will have a temporary show currently titled "Broadway Jazz" (subject to change) start in July 2006 after "Encore" ends its almost 5-year run. "The Snow Queen" is due to open in Summer 2007.

Comment

Poor encore. Oh right I know Snow Queen now. But I don't think it fits in a theater that is called "The Broadway Music Theater". Unless of course they put some sort of Broadway spin on it somehow. I hope it's good, it'll have to be really good to justify the replacement of Encore.

Comment

Originally posted by DisneySeaFan
              Poor encore. Oh right I know Snow Queen now. But I don't think it fits in a theater that is called "The Broadway Music Theater". Unless of course they put some sort of Broadway spin on it somehow. I hope it's good, it'll have to be really good to justify the replacement of Encore.
              of course they're gonna put a broadway spin to it, i see it being in the same levela s that of the Aladdin show in DCA and the Beauty and the beast show in New York, it's gonna be mindblowing methinks.

Comment

He also is writing music for a Sinbad attraction in Japan for Walt Disney Imagineering.
                How disappointing! I really like the (current) Sindbad music. In fact, the ride scores all seemed quite exceptional on Tokyo Disney's rides (well, except for maybe Stormrider). Even the music they used on Buzz and Pooh was better than the states' versions.

I suppose it'll sound more like Aladdin now...and have singing.

Comment

Originally posted by BoogaFrito
                  I suppose it'll sound more like Aladdin now...and have singing.
                  I think that is the thing. It doesn't have charecters...so they want to at least give it a song people can walk away singing.

As great as those background loops are, very few besides us hardcore fans enjoy those as much as the "singing" songs (just look at the Souvenir CDs they sell as proof). So I've never heard Sinbad's music, it might be good, but OLC isn't looking for something that is as good as it is memorable...hopefully to get people on the ride more.

Now you mentioned Buzz, tell me (if you know) is it's BGM unique or does it use the Disneyland music? Or does it use the WDW music?

Comment

Now you mentioned Buzz, tell me (if you know) is it's BGM unique or does it use the Disneyland music? Or does it use the WDW music?
                    It's the Disneyland music. Or I guess technically speaking, Disneyland uses the Tokyo music...

Comment

Yeah one way or the other, ok thanks.

Comment

Yeah, the Sinbad music, as beautiful as it is, sounds very generic.
                        So, will this ride, with music changes, become as epic as Small World?

Edit: This has me thinking...Alan Merken doing the music...do I smell clone?

Comment

Originally posted by TheManator

if it becomes Small World redux, then yeah, it might be cloned all over the place, specially maybe HK.

Comment

Well... if they were to clone Sindbad from TDS to other Disney parks... the only other place I think this ride would be a perfect fit, would be at DLP's adventureland, since their theme over there is more Arabian than African.. at least in the front of Adventureland...

Comment

Originally posted by TheManator

I don't know about cloning but I think it is OLC's hope that new music and tweaks can make this an IASW-type favorite.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X