Announcement

Collapse

Reminder

It is against MiceChat's rules to promote any violations of Disney's rules. Members who choose to brag about breaking Disney's rules, or who encourage others to break Disney rules, will be immediately banned. There will be no exceptions.
See more
See less

WDW after experiencing TDR

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WDW after experiencing TDR

Wow. Heated argument.

I'm not a TDLFan groupie, but I do think that WDW isn't all that its cracked up to be. I visited for the first time last summer and it was grungy, dirty, and Cast Members were unfriendly, unhelpful, and simply so unappealing I found myself avoiding them. The only nice CMs I encountered were the foriegn program CMs at World Showcase working in their country's respective pavillions.

I've never been to Tokyo Disneyland so I can't vouch for their cleanliness and CMs, but I definately think that where the US parks come into play, Disneyland wins over WDW. I visit Disneyland often and I do encounter rude, unfriendly, and unhelpful CMs, but nowhere near the extent of WDW's CMs. And when it comes to park cleanliness and upkeep, Disneyland is hands-down the winner.

I remember sitting at the World Showcase lagoon dock, waiting for the boat, and sitting down but having to scout out a safe spot to sit to avoid the sticky old mess on the ground and old gum on the ground. It was pretty gross... I noticed other cases of poor cleanliness but that one especially stands out in my mind..

Meh...
    Last edited by MasterGracey; 03-21-2006, 10:20 PM.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

Comment

Originally posted by TDLFAN
      I can tell you what my opinion on that is but you and anyone else will say something to the contrary based on you your/their own experiences, then people will start discrediting me as a liar (as some of you have called me in your personal PMs to me), so to me.. this is a trick question.
      TDL, there is no trick question, perhaps except to see if you are aware of any other theme parks in this country that are more enjoyable than WDW in the regards that you enjoy Disney parks.

But off Disney property... and based on repeated visits... I have to say that I have found Tampa Bay's AND Williamsburgs Busch Gardens Parks to the best maintained and cleanest NON Disney properties in the USA.
      That's interesting, thanks for sharing. However by saying "best maintained and cleanest NON Disney properties" does that mean the WDW parks are better at that?

I predicted you would say Disneyland is better operated just because, but the reason I ask is because if you can't think of non-Disney parks better operated than WDW, that would make WDW the #2 in the USA, and I would have to ask whether #2, second to Disneyland, is really that bad?

What I'm trying to decypher is how much of TDR's superiority in your opinion has to do with TDR being a truly better mousetrap, and how much of it has to do with the fact that it's in the atmosphere of Japan. I realize that there's an entirely different attitude and culture about service and hospitality work in Japan, but this is not Japan and we cannot adopt their etiquette and culture overnight, and besides their nuances belong to them and not us.

I have no idea if it applies to you or not, so I figured I'd ask openly rather than stereotype or make assumptions about you. I figure it's a fair question as there are a good number of "Japan-o-philes" who think everything and anything in that country is naturally better because of it's country of origin, so if that label applies to you, I'm trying to seperate that favoritism from the legitimate reasons you think one resort exceeds another. If your appreciation for TDL has more to do with the fact that you think things in Japan are just naturally awesome (and I have no idea if it is,) then any of the American parks will seem weak to you because they're not in Japan and being staffed and run by the Japanese.

That said, I think one would have to be blind or insane to miss some of the places where TDR outshines WDW (atmosphere in Disneysea would be the primary one), so I am not suggesting you are wholly without merit.
      Last edited by MickeyMania; 03-21-2006, 12:09 AM.

Comment

You are comparing apples with oranges... althought I would argue that BraviSEAmo! is as complex to perform as Reflections is at EPCOT, so I put them in almost equal footing. Some of us can appreciate artsy spectacles as opposed to boom and bang pyro shows you know... Plus, There are reasons why TDR does not offer as much as WDW in the nightime dept... For one.. 4 parks versus 2 in Tokyo. Night time conditions around TDR next to Tokyo Bay can put a damper on most evening performances due to windy conditions, proximity to the final approach of airplanes landing into Haneda airport when they do the east to west approach over the Bay.. etc etc etc. Plus, IMHO.. the #1 reason why TDR does not need to be WDW-like in the evening in regards to park wide entertainment is because, there is SO MUCH to do already in the daytime!! Remember... TDS does two different lagoon shows daily in the afternoon and evening, sometimes 3 during special events (Candlelight *and* BraviSEAmo! both perform during Xmas time every night!!), and TDL has done up to 3 different parades when special events call for special parades and event, such as the Blazing Rhythms parade/show you mentioned above.
        How much more do you want from a 2-park resort??!!
        good point. But while BraviSEAmo might be extremely complex and very beautifully executed, it still doesn't have that universal appeal that Reflections of Earth has, which I guess is why it's been received with a rather lukewarm appreciation by most normal people, which is kind of sad.

All I'm saying is that while TDR is great, it isn't necessarily the be-all-end-all of Disney parks and that while flawed, there are still some rather spectacular things that can be found elsewhere in the disney theme parkverse. sure WDW ain't all it's cracked up to be but really, neither is TDR.

Comment

Originally posted by jml338
          I strongly advise you to try the Animal Kingdom Lodge even if it is a bit far from everything else but DAK. It is an amazing hotel (ask for a room facing the bigger savannah, on the 3rd or 4th floor) and this is where I am always going.
          Thanks JML, it was originally on the itinerary: we were planning 2 nights Poly (because of the monorail) and 2 nights of AKL (because of the animals). Cost is a factor here though, since we felt that to get a decent room with a view at the AKL would mean a steep room rate. Since we're not fussed for a room with a view at the Poly, that seems to be a better choice. In addition, by September I believe most rooms will have been refurbished. AKL may have to wait for a later trip. The advice is appreciated, though.

We are very excited about the water parks (since TDR has none), and with DLP just across the Channel from us, the non-MK parks have us more tickled. I'm excited about EPCOT. :thumbup:

The one thing that I've found off-putting at TDR (especially TDL!) is the level of crowds. When we went the first time I grabbed all of our park tickets and sprinted to the Winnie the Pooh Fastpass machine, only to find the queue for the Fastpass (!), across from the ride, back to the castle where it was beginning to double back on itself! I estimate it would have taken 30 mins+ with no guarantee of a Fastpass! We did the ride last thing that day and queued 45 mins.

I digress. I meant to ask what the crowd levels will be like in late September, since we'd clearly prefer not to queue 60 mins+ at every ride. I believe it's low season, but how does that pan out?

Comment

Originally posted by MasterGracey
            I'm not a TDRFan groupie
            Correction. I am TDLFAN. I believe there is a TDRFan on this board or on others.. We are not the same person.

Originally posted by Mickeymania
            However by saying "best maintained and cleanest NON Disney properties" does that mean the WDW parks are better at that?
            No. I am saying that on several ocasions, I have found the Busch parks to be as clear or *better* than the MK at WDW.
            the reason I ask is because if you can't think of non-Disney parks better operated than WDW, that would make WDW the #2 in the USA, and I would have to ask whether #2, second to Disneyland, is really that bad?
            Again...the Busch parks are sitting pretty at #2 IMHO... WDW's a #3, neck to neck with the Sea World parks...
            What I'm trying to decypher is how much of TDR's superiority in your opinion has to do with TDR being a truly better mousetrap, and how much of it has to do with the fact that it's in the atmosphere of Japan. I realize that there's an entirely different attitude and culture about service and hospitality work in Japan
            I will agree that in Japanese culture, yes... there is much better understanding and sense of dedication about providing good service.. You see it everywhere.. the way the train schedules operate, how nice you are treated at McDonald's... etc etc. I think some of that sense on pride in your job does benefit the overall experience at TDR. But there are things I don't care much for Japan as well... too much smoking, pushing and shoving to get on trains on rush hours, over population, just to name a few...
            but this is not Japan and we cannot adopt their etiquette and culture overnight, and besides their nuances belong to them and not us.
            I would never expect anyone at home to adopt the ways of the japanese or their cultural mannerisms at all (though it would be nice if I was treated better and with the same enthusiasm at my local McDonald's the way I am treated at their japanese restaurants...) However... in regards to TDR... it's not about the japanese ways at all that make TDR a far superior operation when compared to the US and Paris resorts.. It's OLC's understanding of Walt Disney's legacy in regards to what he wanted Disneyland to be. IMHO... OLC tries hard follows Walt's legacy in many areas and in regards to excellence in maintenance and cleanliness, efficient cast, magical experiences that *exceed* guests expectations over and over and over, etc etc just to name a few... I come out a satisfied guests day in and day out. After over 16 yrs of visiting TDR, I am yet to have a bad day at that place. Meanwhile, At the other resorts... some of that legacy is pursued but not well administered as it once was. DLP for example... has a clueless cast in regards to how a Disney park should be, and happens to be the filthiest MK on Earth at times. WDW for example...has become too big for it's own good and sacrifices have been made across the board in many respects... most visibly on maintenance and cleanliness issues. HKDL is still too young to be critiqued here so I skip discussing that park for now. DL is the closest thing to perfection we have at this time... friendly cast, lovely surroundings, unique experiences...can't beat the Original park.

Originally posted by stitcharielsindbad
            sure WDW ain't all it's cracked up to be but really, neither is TDR.
            This is a matter of perception and personal opinion... At $63 a day at the MK, I feel I am grossly overcharged for the entertainment and overall experience I get, while at TDL.. for about $51 a day (based on current exchange rates) I feel I am underpaying concidering how much more there is to do and how much better the overall experience of the park can really be. In fact, the only downer I can post about TDL is the crowds... way too crowded at times, but so has been the MK lately, with inferior quality.

Originally posted by bender rodriguez
            We are very excited about the water parks (since TDR has none), and with DLP just across the Channel from us, the non-MK parks have us more tickled.
            As it should be. The only thing going for WDW is what they have that can't be found at the other resorts. Not too mention what a value deal is it to come to WDW when you take the strenght of the Euro as opposed to the weak US $$$.

Comment

Correction. I am TDLFAN. I believe there is a TDRFan on this board or on others.. We are not the same person.
              My bad. Fixed.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

Comment

This is a matter of perception and personal opinion... At $63 a day at the MK, I feel I am grossly overcharged for the entertainment and overall experience I get, while at TDL.. for about $51 a day (based on current exchange rates) I feel I am underpaying concidering how much more there is to do and how much better the overall experience of the park can really be.
                I've seen many systems comparing the prices, and I've even seen them as low as $49 dollars a day, a very good price. When I went with a bunch of older ladies (I've said this many times) they thought that was extreme under payment. I took them to DisneySea and they were very skeptical to go, as it was technically an amusement park and they didn't want screaming children. Their minds were quickly changed after they watched a few shows. They said they would pay double the admission price just to see "Encore!", "Mystic Rhythms", or "BraviSEAmo!" anywhere else, plus they got to eat at the very nice restaurants and ride the attractions, that they found to be fun. You don't get this type of entertainment (previously mentioned shows, especially Encore) in Tokyo especially at this quality so it's definitely a reason for the resorts massive success.

Comment

Working...
                X