Announcement

Collapse

The Future of the MiceChat Forums

See more
See less

News about TOT from CM friend at Tokyo DL

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    Re: News about TOT from CM friend at Tokyo DL

    It sounds to me that they built a Westcot-sized project when that's what nobody wanted. While a park like TDS would draw people internationally if promoted right, which of course never happens because the Tokyo parks never get anything more than a token nod in Disney marketing. What they needed was something that would keep people on property a few more days instead of taking the train to Sega Joyopolis and whatever other attractions are most immediately nearby, and they misjudged their market.

    The more I think about it, the more I think OLC needs to invite Disney to taking a piece of the ownership pie to bail themselves out. They would have more of the crowds they wanted if Disney wasn't indirectly competing with OLC by trying to keep it's USA audience from knowing that Disneysea exists.

    Comment


    • #22
      Re: News about TOT from CM friend at Tokyo DL

      EDIT: Double post.

      Comment


      • #23
        Re: News about TOT from CM friend at Tokyo DL

        Originally posted by MickeyMania
        It sounds to me that they built a Westcot-sized project when that's what nobody wanted. While a park like TDS would draw people internationally if promoted right, which of course never happens because the Tokyo parks never get anything more than a token nod in Disney marketing. What they needed was something that would keep people on property a few more days instead of taking the train to Sega Joyopolis and whatever other attractions are most immediately nearby, and they misjudged their market.

        The more I think about it, the more I think OLC needs to invite Disney to taking a piece of the ownership pie to bail themselves out. They would have more of the crowds they wanted if Disney wasn't indirectly competing with OLC by trying to keep it's USA audience from knowing that Disneysea exists.
        You know, the only time I really ever saw TWDC USA acknowledge the Japan parks, especially TDS, was in the now defunct Disney Magazine, and the occasional hard cover collectors type book on imagineering/disney parks. other than that, USA disney is pretty mum about Japan.
        Oh well, I guess it is our job to be american promoters of TDS!

        Comment


        • #24
          Re: News about TOT from CM friend at Tokyo DL

          Thanks for this update. I guess you can't always have your cake and it it too. I am still looking forward to a trip out to TDR as a Disney Park enthusiast. The pics and things I've read anout DisneySea, alone, are just mind-bending. I hope that they, somehow, strike a balance between attractions and live entertainment out there. It really does make a huge difference in the atmosphere.
          -J

          Subscribe or listen to The Meandering Mouse Podcast - Real Life Audio Adventures in the Parks

          Click for a Short Promo

          You Don't Need an IPOD - Anyone Can Listen - Download the MP3 or listen right over the website for FREE!!
          http://www.meanderingmouse.com

          OR...Search for "disney" within the ITunes podcast directory and subscribe there!!

          The Meandering Mouse Podcast - Streams of Consciousness from the Happiest Place on Earth!

          Comment


          • #25
            Re: News about TOT from CM friend at Tokyo DL

            Originally posted by DisneyMickey
            Disney can't win either way. They build expensive parks like Disneyland Paris and Tokyo DisneySea and they are financial disappointments. They build cheap, ugly parks like Walt Disney Studios Paris and DCA and they also suffer financial disappointment.
            As I understand it Disneyland Paris is a great success as a park. The problem is that management decided to build a incredible number of hotels / hotel rooms, capacity the park could never provide. To make matters worse, most European tourists treat DLP as a day-trip, and with such a great connection to Paris, why stay in Disney's hotels? So, as I understand it, it's been the underperforming hotels that have caused DLP to post losses year after year. It was such a bad business decision I am amazed heads didn't roll. (Actually, I'm not that amazed at all.)

            So with DSP comes the hope a second gate will keep people on property for longer. But the park turned out so small that it could be navigated in half a day. Hopefully this situation will change as Disney fleshes out the Studios with more rides and better theming, turning the resort into a proper holiday destination.

            Compare this to Tokyo, for example, where the OLC own two hotels and are only now building a third. From what I gather, their hotels are usually at capacity.

            I could be wrong, of course.

            Comment


            • #26
              Re: News about TOT from CM friend at Tokyo DL

              Originally posted by tloolgb
              Tokyo Disneyland performed and pleased the people right away.
              Tokyo Disneyland did terribly in its first years of opening. It wasn't Disney, or American enough, which is what the Japanese wanted - a slice of American culture.
              BACKPACKING REALNESS

              DISNEY TRIPS
              October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
              October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
              April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
              October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
              October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
              October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
              October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
              December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
              July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
              July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
              July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
              February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
              February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

              (VERY OLD!)
              TRIP REPORTS

              Comment


              • #27
                Re: News about TOT from CM friend at Tokyo DL

                Originally posted by Speedway
                Tokyo Disneyland did terribly in its first years of opening. It wasn't Disney, or American enough, which is what the Japanese wanted - a slice of American culture.
                I never heard that one. Attendance and merchandising did higher than they expected when it opened (maybe seeing a trend) and Tokyo's big issue was Disney's management shakeup left the park with really no new attractions till 86 and nothing major added till the last years of the 80s (hmm...again...seeing a trend). So maybe it wasn't American enough but I don't think it was ever not considered a finiancial sucess. I could be wrong however.

                Comment


                • #28
                  Re: News about TOT from CM friend at Tokyo DL

                  Tokyo DL is actually sort of a combination of Disneyland and The Magic Kingdom. I once heard one the Imagineers say that if they could find a way, they would just pick up Disneyland and take it to Tokyo. What they ended up with is a Hybred Park that has the best of Anaheim and Florida combined. Some of the look and feel of the place is pure Disneyland, and most of the rides and attractions are pure Florida.

                  Whatever the outcome, the Japanese people have taken Tokyo Disneyland to their hearts and the place is super crowded almost year round. Even when the winter snows have the place covered in snow, people will come. It is a beautiful Park, and Disney Seas is an incredible looking Park and really does have some awesome rides. I myself would love to be able to visit both Tokyo and Paris just to visit the Parks.
                  Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

                  Thank You Poisonedapples

                  Comment


                  • #29
                    Re: News about TOT from CM friend at Tokyo DL

                    Originally posted by tloolgb
                    I never heard that one. Attendance and merchandising did higher than they expected when it opened (maybe seeing a trend) and Tokyo's big issue was Disney's management shakeup left the park with really no new attractions till 86 and nothing major added till the last years of the 80s (hmm...again...seeing a trend). So maybe it wasn't American enough but I don't think it was ever not considered a finiancial sucess. I could be wrong however.
                    Its true, when the park first opened it was ran like any other japanese park. There were even Japanese people playing face characters. Just because it was bringing in lots of money doesn't mean it was making a profit, It was loosing money. After about three years OLC gave in to some of Disney's demands on how to run the park. If you look at their yearly attendance it was basically flat for the first four years after opening. But after they started promoting it as an exact copy of the Disneyland and just like a trip to the USA attendance skyrocketed.

                    THE NUMBER OF VISITORS


                    (1,000)

                    April 15, 1983 to March 31, 1984 9,933

                    April 1, 1984 to March 31, 1985 10,013

                    April 1, 1985 to March 31, 1986 10,675

                    April 1, 1986 to March 31, 1987 10,665

                    April 1, 1987 to March 31, 1988 11,975

                    April 1, 1988 to March 31, 1989 13,382

                    April 1, 1989 to March 31, 1990 14,752

                    April 1, 1990 to March 31, 1991 15,876

                    April 1, 1991 to March 31, 1992 16,139

                    April 1, 1992 to March 31, 1993 15,815

                    April 1, 1993 to March 31, 1994 16,030

                    April 1, 1994 to March 31, 1995 15,509

                    April 1, 1995 to March 31, 1996 16,986

                    April 1, 1996 to March 31, 1997 17,368

                    April 1, 1997 to March 31, 1998 16,686

                    April 1, 1998 to March 31, 1999 17,459

                    April 1, 1999 to March 31, 2000 16,507

                    April 1, 2000 to March 31, 2001 17,300 *

                    April 1, 2001 to March 31, 2002 22,047 *

                    April 1, 2002 to March 31, 2003 24,820 *

                    April 1, 2003 to March 31, 2004 25,437 *

                    April 1, 2004 to March 31, 2005 25,021 *

                    * 2 parks combined

                    Apparantly this book talk in detail about how TDL was turned into a success, but I haven't read it.

                    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/067...Fencoding=UTF8

                    Comment


                    • #30
                      Re: News about TOT from CM friend at Tokyo DL

                      Originally posted by Lost Boy
                      Tokyo DL is actually sort of a combination of Disneyland and The Magic Kingdom. I once heard one the Imagineers say that if they could find a way, they would just pick up Disneyland and take it to Tokyo. What they ended up with is a Hybred Park that has the best of Anaheim and Florida combined. Some of the look and feel of the place is pure Disneyland, and most of the rides and attractions are pure Florida.
                      Imagineers call TDL the "cut and paste" DL because of all the direct cloning

                      DLP , DAK and TDS are the three most beautiful theme parks in the world IMO.

                      Comment


                      • #31
                        Re: News about TOT from CM friend at Tokyo DL

                        Originally posted by Lost Boy
                        The upkeep at TDL is terrible. Tomorrowland is yesterdayland worse than ours. The Park needs painting badly.
                        You just lost credibility from me with that statement. While you mention stuff that is similar to what the westerner CMs at TDR b*** and moan about (get over it, this is not WDC running the show), the fact remains TDL and TDS are the best kept, best maintained Disney parks on Earth. That is a fact that I happilly show everyone on my many park pictorials. Have you taken a walk at WDW's MK lately??? Please. Don't insult my intelligence with your overblown negativity, of which some is rather questionable, and I know because I too have very close connections with CMs who work there at this very moment. Plus I frequent the place 2-4 times monthly. When was the last time you visited TDR???

                        Comment


                        • #32
                          Re: News about TOT from CM friend at Tokyo DL

                          Originally posted by Speedway
                          Tokyo Disneyland did terribly in its first years of opening. It wasn't Disney, or American enough, which is what the Japanese wanted - a slice of American culture.
                          I don't agree with that statement my dear friend. TDL performed beyond expectations from day 1 and it was very much Disney. Even before it opened their doors, OLC wanted Disney to offer a foreign experience, and wanted the japanese guests to feel as if they had traveled to the USA to visit Disneyland. The very succesful 5th annniversary celebration was a crowning achievement of their early years' success that immediately opened the door for more special events, and new attractions in the immediate future after that milestone... Big Thunder, Star Tours... etc etc etc. Remember.... TDL and I go way back to the mid 80s...and the park was always heavily packed or attended. Now...let's talk about Paris...shall we?

                          BTW... you still owe me postage and handling fees.

                          Comment


                          • #33
                            Re: News about TOT from CM friend at Tokyo DL

                            Originally posted by TDLFAN
                            the fact remains TDL and TDS are the best kept, best maintained Disney parks on Earth.
                            technically, Disneyland should hold that title now.

                            Comment


                            • #34
                              Re: News about TOT from CM friend at Tokyo DL

                              Originally posted by stitcharielsinbad
                              technically, Disneyland should hold that title now.
                              Last time I was at DLR was for the 50th in mid july, and yes.... DL looked like a billion bucks to me. Top notch standard similar to TDR. Whether it has improved on TDR's way of doing their maintenance...well... I can't comment. I would have to go to DLR and see for myself. ...And trust me, nothing would make me happier than to proclaim Walt's little park as the best maintained on Earth.

                              Comment


                              • #35
                                Re: News about TOT from CM friend at Tokyo DL

                                Originally posted by TDLFAN
                                I don't agree with that statement my dear friend. TDL performed beyond expectations from day 1 and it was very much Disney. Even before it opened their doors, OLC wanted Disney to offer a foreign experience, and wanted the japanese guests to feel as if they had traveled to the USA to visit Disneyland. The very succesful 5th annniversary celebration was a crowning achievement of their early years' success that immediately opened the door for more special events, and new attractions in the immediate future after that milestone... Big Thunder, Star Tours... etc etc etc. Remember.... TDL and I go way back to the mid 80s...and the park was always heavily packed or attended. Now...let's talk about Paris...shall we?

                                BTW... you still owe me postage and handling fees.
                                agree with this?

                                Originally posted by Tom319
                                Its true, when the park first opened it was ran like any other japanese park. There were even Japanese people playing face characters. Just because it was bringing in lots of money doesn't mean it was making a profit, It was loosing money. After about three years OLC gave in to some of Disney's demands on how to run the park. If you look at their yearly attendance it was basically flat for the first four years after opening. But after they started promoting it as an exact copy of the Disneyland and just like a trip to the USA attendance skyrocketed.

                                THE NUMBER OF VISITORS


                                (1,000)

                                April 15, 1983 to March 31, 1984 9,933

                                April 1, 1984 to March 31, 1985 10,013

                                April 1, 1985 to March 31, 1986 10,675

                                April 1, 1986 to March 31, 1987 10,665

                                April 1, 1987 to March 31, 1988 11,975

                                April 1, 1988 to March 31, 1989 13,382

                                April 1, 1989 to March 31, 1990 14,752

                                April 1, 1990 to March 31, 1991 15,876

                                April 1, 1991 to March 31, 1992 16,139

                                April 1, 1992 to March 31, 1993 15,815

                                April 1, 1993 to March 31, 1994 16,030

                                April 1, 1994 to March 31, 1995 15,509

                                April 1, 1995 to March 31, 1996 16,986

                                April 1, 1996 to March 31, 1997 17,368

                                April 1, 1997 to March 31, 1998 16,686

                                April 1, 1998 to March 31, 1999 17,459

                                April 1, 1999 to March 31, 2000 16,507

                                April 1, 2000 to March 31, 2001 17,300 *

                                April 1, 2001 to March 31, 2002 22,047 *

                                April 1, 2002 to March 31, 2003 24,820 *

                                April 1, 2003 to March 31, 2004 25,437 *

                                April 1, 2004 to March 31, 2005 25,021 *

                                * 2 parks combined

                                Apparantly this book talk in detail about how TDL was turned into a success, but I haven't read it.

                                http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/067...Fencoding=UTF8

                                Comment


                                • #36
                                  Re: News about TOT from CM friend at Tokyo DL

                                  I would have to read that book to comment on it, agree with or disagree.

                                  Comment


                                  • #37
                                    Re: News about TOT from CM friend at Tokyo DL

                                    Excuse me? I got that straight from my freind who is in that Park 5 days a week perfomring and then visits on days off. He has worked there for 7 years now. So don't start saying you doubt my credibility. Those are his words, not mine.

                                    I posted this just because I felt that people would like to know that Tokyo Disneyland is not the bright shiny place that it used to be. It just isn't being run as it used to be, and cuts are being made that affect the look of the Park.
                                    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

                                    Thank You Poisonedapples

                                    Comment


                                    • #38
                                      Re: News about TOT from CM friend at Tokyo DL

                                      Lost Boy, I think I know your friend.

                                      Comment


                                      • #39
                                        Re: News about TOT from CM friend at Tokyo DL

                                        Originally posted by TDLFAN
                                        Last time I was at DLR was for the 50th in mid july, and yes.... DL looked like a billion bucks to me. Top notch standard similar to TDR. Whether it has improved on TDR's way of doing their maintenance...well... I can't comment. I would have to go to DLR and see for myself. ...And trust me, nothing would make me happier than to proclaim Walt's little park as the best maintained on Earth.
                                        I think Disneyland is kept up the best of all Disney parks in terms of paint(now). But Tokyo Disneyland is by far the cleanest of them all which is key to keeping it well maintained. Are they constantly painting in Tokyo like DL TDLFAN?

                                        Comment


                                        • #40
                                          Re: News about TOT from CM friend at Tokyo DL

                                          Originally posted by TDLFAN
                                          I don't agree with that statement my dear friend. TDL performed beyond expectations from day 1 and it was very much Disney. Even before it opened their doors, OLC wanted Disney to offer a foreign experience, and wanted the japanese guests to feel as if they had traveled to the USA to visit Disneyland. The very succesful 5th annniversary celebration was a crowning achievement of their early years' success that immediately opened the door for more special events, and new attractions in the immediate future after that milestone... Big Thunder, Star Tours... etc etc etc. Remember.... TDL and I go way back to the mid 80s...and the park was always heavily packed or attended. Now...let's talk about Paris...shall we?

                                          BTW... you still owe me postage and handling fees.
                                          Thats not what I read. I read that the park was genuinely really struggling to keep above the red line, and OLC execs came crawling back to Disney begging to use their method of running parks; because previously before, well they were doing it the, erm, Japanese way.

                                          BTW... PayPal? I'm in Florida in Oct so if you can wait 6 months... if not, PM me your PayPal
                                          BACKPACKING REALNESS

                                          DISNEY TRIPS
                                          October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
                                          October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
                                          April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
                                          October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
                                          October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
                                          October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
                                          October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
                                          December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
                                          July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
                                          July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
                                          July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
                                          February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
                                          February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

                                          (VERY OLD!)
                                          TRIP REPORTS

                                          Comment

                                          Working...
                                          X