• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TDLFAN
    replied
    Re: News about TOT from CM friend at Tokyo DL

Originally posted by Tom319
    I don't know that is weird, but these figures are right of OLC's web site.

http://www.olc.co.jp/en/company/reso...and/index.html
    Goes to show you... NEVER believe what corporate sites tell you. They make mistakes too. Such as this one paragraph taken from that very same site....

>>>>The continued growth of the DISNEYLAND Resort in California, the WALT DISNEY WORLD Resort in Florida and the DISNEYLAND Paris Resort in France and the worldwide acclaim they have achieved attests to the success of the Disney entertainment formula -- one which is carried out to the same degree of quality at TOKYO DISNEYLAND as well. <<<<

Same degree of quality!?!?!?! HAHAHAHAHA!!! With the possible exception of DLR, *NONE* of the other resorts could even stand to the heels of the excessive quality that oozes out of OLC's TDR, which is why they will eternally be "Masters Supreme" in carrying Walt's Legacy from this day forth. If only WDW and DLRP were in the same level.... (too early to call it on HKDL yet) Gotta love the japanese for being so humble...

Leave a comment:

• Lost Boy
    replied

Well for one thing he is not like that at all. He thinks that Tokyo Disneyland and Disney seas are wonderful parks and he loves going over there. On most of his days off, he visits the Parks. He pays each year for a two park annual pass at over $400 of his own money so he can do this. He has sent a lot of video from both parks to me. He can get an entertainment job just about any place he wants (he has worked at Radio City Music Hall, Ryman Auditorium, Ship Cruises, etc) and yet he still goes back to Tokyo DL every year. He is not trashing either of the Parks, just telling me what's happening. And I agree that the way things are going are not good.

What was meant by the comment on Tomorrowland is not that it is trashy, just out of date like Anaheim's Tomorrowland was/is. He just feels it could use an update to overlay or get rid of the 1960'a look to that part of the Park.

Please don't get us wrong, Tokyo DL and Disney Seas are still at the top of the list as far as overseas Park (Paris Disneyland is still #1 in our book).

Leave a comment:

• Tom319
    replied

Originally posted by TDLFAN
    I have not read this book but I immediately have to question why is the attendance for the period April 1st, 2000 to March 31st, 2001 listed as two parks conbined attendance when TDS didn't open until September 2001....
    I don't know that is weird, but these figures are right of OLC's web site.

http://www.olc.co.jp/en/company/reso...and/index.html

Leave a comment:

• Speedway
    replied

And you believe everything anyone prints on a book? As for the other matter... I was just making sure you own me dinner in Oct.
    I'm offended you thought I forgot.
    Last edited by Speedway; 04-03-2006, 09:17 AM.

Leave a comment:

• TDLFAN
    replied

Its true, when the park first opened it was ran like any other japanese park. There were even Japanese people playing face characters. Just because it was bringing in lots of money doesn't mean it was making a profit, It was loosing money. After about three years OLC gave in to some of Disney's demands on how to run the park. If you look at their yearly attendance it was basically flat for the first four years after opening. But after they started promoting it as an exact copy of the Disneyland and just like a trip to the USA attendance skyrocketed.

THE NUMBER OF VISITORS

(1,000)

April 15, 1983 to March 31, 1984 9,933

April 1, 1984 to March 31, 1985 10,013

April 1, 1985 to March 31, 1986 10,675

April 1, 1986 to March 31, 1987 10,665

April 1, 1987 to March 31, 1988 11,975

April 1, 1988 to March 31, 1989 13,382

April 1, 1989 to March 31, 1990 14,752

April 1, 1990 to March 31, 1991 15,876

April 1, 1991 to March 31, 1992 16,139

April 1, 1992 to March 31, 1993 15,815

April 1, 1993 to March 31, 1994 16,030

April 1, 1994 to March 31, 1995 15,509

April 1, 1995 to March 31, 1996 16,986

April 1, 1996 to March 31, 1997 17,368

April 1, 1997 to March 31, 1998 16,686

April 1, 1998 to March 31, 1999 17,459

April 1, 1999 to March 31, 2000 16,507

April 1, 2000 to March 31, 2001 17,300 *

April 1, 2001 to March 31, 2002 22,047 *

April 1, 2002 to March 31, 2003 24,820 *

April 1, 2003 to March 31, 2004 25,437 *

April 1, 2004 to March 31, 2005 25,021 *

* 2 parks combined

Apparantly this book talk in detail about how TDL was turned into a success, but I haven't read it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/067...Fencoding=UTF8
    I have not read this book but I immediately have to question why is the attendance for the period April 1st, 2000 to March 31st, 2001 listed as two parks conbined attendance when TDS didn't open until September 2001.... Also, while in the first year some japanese CMs did play face characters... the fact remains that OLC wanted to give the japanese a foreign experience in theming and execution. There were many USA CMs from DL and WDW who went there to train the japanese in the Disney ways...and many American CMs, some of them people I knew from Entertainment who went to TDL to work and dance on their shows and parades on opening day... I have many coffee table picture books from TDL's early days that paint a more American experience than that disputed here. Unlike the french who wanted a "Francais Disnehlund" with wine to go with it, no less.... OLC was always intent on giving the japanese guests a more american style Disney experience.... remember, It was Disney pushing for Meet the World, which was always a so-so received attractions... reason why they pulled the plug at EPCOT for it when no sponsor signed on for it.
    Even though I was unfirtunate to not visit TDL until the park was 7 yrs old... on my very first visit which I remember very fondly... I immediately felt at home when I walked past those gates..it was like not being in Japan at all for a moment. Everything was familiar and home-like. Again... reason why I question this book's validity in some areas discussed here.

Leave a comment:

• MickeyMania
    replied

I can think of a few employees I've seen at Disney parks who have been less than friendly and yeah I doubt I'd see anyone like them at TDR, but I'd tack that more onto Japan's work ethic than anything else.

My point is that the traditional stereotype of a Japanese company is that when a product or service fails, it's the manager who invested the company in that idea who is ashamed and takes the corporate snubbing for it. Laying off cast to pay for some manager's bad investment is actually a lot more like what an American business would do. It reminds me a lot more of Ford than it does Nissan, if you get my drift.

Leave a comment:

• TDLFAN
    replied

Originally posted by MickeyMania
    What the hell? With the workforce exploited to that level, it might as well be. Reminds me of the DLR casting situation where they'd rather have high turnover and punish the workforce for the decisions of the big guys rather than pay a little more and hold the right people accountable.

It's not the fault of any entertainment CM that TDS has failed to draw the crowds it did. Why are they being punished while the guy who decided on the idea has a plush office?
    It is well known that OLC runs their parks like the military. Maybe Disney should do the same with theirs so we can get a higher level of quality in regards to the Cast. However... at TDR.. they have to TURN AWAY applicants because the demand outdoes the supply, unlike the situation at WDW where they are always hiring because no one wants to work there for the amount of money they pay and how hard it is to be a CM in some of those positions. Also, if OLC is so horrible towards their CMs as Lost Boys and others may claim to be, how come TDL and TDS are currently the best staffed parks of any Disney Resort parks on Earth?? I don't see anyone complaining on stage at all, and everyone seems to be doing a bang up job on stage, which I appreciate, even if it is all a facade. Disney is the land of "fantasy", isn't it?? Go to TDR and see what I mean... look around from any single spot and you can count 8-12 custodial CMs in one single look; restaurants usually are opened to 75% or more capabilities... Rides are usually staffed with 75% more CMs that those running the same rides at DL and WDW for example... Those are things I see day in and day out at TDR and are things that I do not see at WDW when you compare the operation.

Furthermore... I too have several friends who are CMs at TDR, and while they tell me some horrible stories... so could I from my days as a CM at WDW. Face it. The TDR cast is there because they want to be and I get the feeling there is a certain sense of pride in being a Tokyo Disney CM. At WDW, some CMs may feel the same but a good number of them are there for the perks and the medical benefits, and those are the ones you can pick out of the crowd for their less than stellar demeanor with guests on stage.

Leave a comment:

• MickeyMania
    replied

While you mention stuff that is similar to what the westerner CMs at TDR b*** and moan about (get over it, this is not WDC running the show)
    What the hell? With the workforce exploited to that level, it might as well be. Reminds me of the DLR casting situation where they'd rather have high turnover and punish the workforce for the decisions of the big guys rather than pay a little more and hold the right people accountable.

It's not the fault of any entertainment CM that TDS has failed to draw the crowds it did. Why are they being punished while the guy who decided on the idea has a plush office?

Leave a comment:

• TDLFAN
    replied

Originally posted by DisneyMickey
    I think Disneyland is kept up the best of all Disney parks in terms of paint(now). But Tokyo Disneyland is by far the cleanest of them all which is key to keeping it well maintained. Are they constantly painting in Tokyo like DL TDLFAN?
    For the most part, yes. This week, the Sweetheart Cafe in World Bazaar is getting a paint and refurb job. Last week it was the BTMR and the World Bazaar indoor corner of the Confectionary.

Originally posted by Lost Boy
    Excuse me? I got that straight from my freind who is in that Park 5 days a week perfomring and then visits on days off. He has worked there for 7 years now. So don't start saying you doubt my credibility. Those are his words, not mine.
    EXACTLY what I said! "HIS" words. NOT yours! *YOU* obviously have never been to TDL so why take your so called friend's word for it? As I stated..sounds like your friend is one of those western entertainers who squeeze as much money out of their contracts then give OLC a bad rap...and while I believe most of what you claim your friend says... I too see these parks with my very own eyes and am here to tell you TDL and TDS are just about the best maintained and cleanest Disney parks on the face of this Earth, and this is a point I will argue for the rest of my life because I too visit WDW, HKDL, DLP and DLR with enough frequency to see what is going on at those resorts in terms of cleanliness and upkeep. You will find me at WDW this tuesday, TDL on the 15th, HKDL on the 16th and DLP on the 26th. Wanna join me for an eye opener tour??? Bring your friend from TDR too, will you??

I posted this just because I felt that people would like to know that Tokyo Disneyland is not the bright shiny place that it used to be. It just isn't being run as it used to be, and cuts are being made that affect the look of the Park.
    ..And when was the last time you went to TDR and saw the parks to come here and make such a claim???

Originally posted by Speedway
    Thats not what I read.
    And you believe everything anyone prints on a book? As for the other matter... I was just making sure you own me dinner in Oct.
    Last edited by TDLFAN; 04-02-2006, 09:57 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Speedway
    replied

I don't agree with that statement my dear friend. TDL performed beyond expectations from day 1 and it was very much Disney. Even before it opened their doors, OLC wanted Disney to offer a foreign experience, and wanted the japanese guests to feel as if they had traveled to the USA to visit Disneyland. The very succesful 5th annniversary celebration was a crowning achievement of their early years' success that immediately opened the door for more special events, and new attractions in the immediate future after that milestone... Big Thunder, Star Tours... etc etc etc. Remember.... TDL and I go way back to the mid 80s...and the park was always heavily packed or attended. Now...let's talk about Paris...shall we?

BTW... you still owe me postage and handling fees.
    Thats not what I read. I read that the park was genuinely really struggling to keep above the red line, and OLC execs came crawling back to Disney begging to use their method of running parks; because previously before, well they were doing it the, erm, Japanese way.

BTW... PayPal? I'm in Florida in Oct so if you can wait 6 months... if not, PM me your PayPal

Leave a comment:

• DisneyMickey
    replied

Last time I was at DLR was for the 50th in mid july, and yes.... DL looked like a billion bucks to me. Top notch standard similar to TDR. Whether it has improved on TDR's way of doing their maintenance...well... I can't comment. I would have to go to DLR and see for myself. ...And trust me, nothing would make me happier than to proclaim Walt's little park as the best maintained on Earth.
    I think Disneyland is kept up the best of all Disney parks in terms of paint(now). But Tokyo Disneyland is by far the cleanest of them all which is key to keeping it well maintained. Are they constantly painting in Tokyo like DL TDLFAN?

Leave a comment:

• DisneyLurker
    replied

Lost Boy, I think I know your friend.

Leave a comment:

• Lost Boy
    replied

Excuse me? I got that straight from my freind who is in that Park 5 days a week perfomring and then visits on days off. He has worked there for 7 years now. So don't start saying you doubt my credibility. Those are his words, not mine.

I posted this just because I felt that people would like to know that Tokyo Disneyland is not the bright shiny place that it used to be. It just isn't being run as it used to be, and cuts are being made that affect the look of the Park.

Leave a comment:

• TDLFAN
    replied

I would have to read that book to comment on it, agree with or disagree.

Leave a comment:

• stitcharielsinbad
    replied

I don't agree with that statement my dear friend. TDL performed beyond expectations from day 1 and it was very much Disney. Even before it opened their doors, OLC wanted Disney to offer a foreign experience, and wanted the japanese guests to feel as if they had traveled to the USA to visit Disneyland. The very succesful 5th annniversary celebration was a crowning achievement of their early years' success that immediately opened the door for more special events, and new attractions in the immediate future after that milestone... Big Thunder, Star Tours... etc etc etc. Remember.... TDL and I go way back to the mid 80s...and the park was always heavily packed or attended. Now...let's talk about Paris...shall we?

agree with this?

Its true, when the park first opened it was ran like any other japanese park. There were even Japanese people playing face characters. Just because it was bringing in lots of money doesn't mean it was making a profit, It was loosing money. After about three years OLC gave in to some of Disney's demands on how to run the park. If you look at their yearly attendance it was basically flat for the first four years after opening. But after they started promoting it as an exact copy of the Disneyland and just like a trip to the USA attendance skyrocketed.

THE NUMBER OF VISITORS

(1,000)

April 15, 1983 to March 31, 1984 9,933

April 1, 1984 to March 31, 1985 10,013

April 1, 1985 to March 31, 1986 10,675

April 1, 1986 to March 31, 1987 10,665

April 1, 1987 to March 31, 1988 11,975

April 1, 1988 to March 31, 1989 13,382

April 1, 1989 to March 31, 1990 14,752

April 1, 1990 to March 31, 1991 15,876

April 1, 1991 to March 31, 1992 16,139

April 1, 1992 to March 31, 1993 15,815

April 1, 1993 to March 31, 1994 16,030

April 1, 1994 to March 31, 1995 15,509

April 1, 1995 to March 31, 1996 16,986

April 1, 1996 to March 31, 1997 17,368

April 1, 1997 to March 31, 1998 16,686

April 1, 1998 to March 31, 1999 17,459

April 1, 1999 to March 31, 2000 16,507

April 1, 2000 to March 31, 2001 17,300 *

April 1, 2001 to March 31, 2002 22,047 *

April 1, 2002 to March 31, 2003 24,820 *

April 1, 2003 to March 31, 2004 25,437 *

April 1, 2004 to March 31, 2005 25,021 *

* 2 parks combined

Apparantly this book talk in detail about how TDL was turned into a success, but I haven't read it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/067...Fencoding=UTF8

Leave a comment:

• TDLFAN
    replied

Originally posted by stitcharielsinbad
    technically, Disneyland should hold that title now.
    Last time I was at DLR was for the 50th in mid july, and yes.... DL looked like a billion bucks to me. Top notch standard similar to TDR. Whether it has improved on TDR's way of doing their maintenance...well... I can't comment. I would have to go to DLR and see for myself. ...And trust me, nothing would make me happier than to proclaim Walt's little park as the best maintained on Earth.

Leave a comment:

• stitcharielsinbad
    replied

the fact remains TDL and TDS are the best kept, best maintained Disney parks on Earth.
    technically, Disneyland should hold that title now.

Leave a comment:

• TDLFAN
    replied

Originally posted by Speedway
    Tokyo Disneyland did terribly in its first years of opening. It wasn't Disney, or American enough, which is what the Japanese wanted - a slice of American culture.

Leave a comment:

• TDLFAN
    replied

The upkeep at TDL is terrible. Tomorrowland is yesterdayland worse than ours. The Park needs painting badly.
    You just lost credibility from me with that statement. While you mention stuff that is similar to what the westerner CMs at TDR b*** and moan about (get over it, this is not WDC running the show), the fact remains TDL and TDS are the best kept, best maintained Disney parks on Earth. That is a fact that I happilly show everyone on my many park pictorials. Have you taken a walk at WDW's MK lately??? Please. Don't insult my intelligence with your overblown negativity, of which some is rather questionable, and I know because I too have very close connections with CMs who work there at this very moment. Plus I frequent the place 2-4 times monthly. When was the last time you visited TDR???

Leave a comment:

• stitcharielsinbad
    replied

Tokyo DL is actually sort of a combination of Disneyland and The Magic Kingdom. I once heard one the Imagineers say that if they could find a way, they would just pick up Disneyland and take it to Tokyo. What they ended up with is a Hybred Park that has the best of Anaheim and Florida combined. Some of the look and feel of the place is pure Disneyland, and most of the rides and attractions are pure Florida.
    Imagineers call TDL the "cut and paste" DL because of all the direct cloning

DLP , DAK and TDS are the three most beautiful theme parks in the world IMO.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X