This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many English speaking guest visit TDR

I was just wondering how many guest who visit Tokyo Disney actually speak English,seeing that all the annoucements are made in English,and a lot of the shows are performed in English.Also all the signage is done in both langueges.Is it a high percentage and how often do any of you who visit Tokyo Disney on a regular basis see westerners walking the parks ?
    Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/malin1804

Re: How many English speaking guest visit TDR

I heard the actual number of westerners visiting Tokyo Disney Resort is actually something like 1% of annual attendence. I could be wrong though. I wish more people could go so us diehards could stop trying to convince people it's worth the effort!

Comment

Its a shame Japan is soooo expensive,because if it wasn't I think TDR would have a lot more westerners visiting its parks.It seems to be very much targeted towards westerners too with all menu's and annoucements made in English.

Comment

Actually, the big reason why they speak English so often (and all the signs are in English) at TDR is because THAT is part of the theming. It was to give the visitor the sense that they're at DL (or WDW).

Also the current generation of Japanese all have had English throughout their
        schooling, so at least they can read it all.

Finally, it's a bit of a misconception that Japan is super expensive (it is expensive,
        but not too much beyond US prices) esp. if you are willing to shop around and
        eat Japanese food. Also one's perception of this is completely dependent on
        the exchange rate.

Comment

Also, the Japanese eat up Americana. Apparently the OLC initially operated Tokyo Disneyland with more Japanese cuisine and the like. This proved unsuccessful as the Japanese wanted the Americana.

Comment

Hmm ok I guess that could be the reason for all the English translated into the parks.But why the guilde maps which are available English as well as Japanease.

Sorry I should be more clear by what I mean regarding Tokyo being expensive.Its not the actual city thats expensive but just the flights to Japan and the accomedation.I could of visited Hong Kong for about half of what its costing me to visit Tokyo for 5 nights in Sept,I still chosed Tokyo but thats only because I had my heart set on he place.And yeah ok Im sure your can easily get cheaper accomedation,however do you really wish to be staying in some guest house in the middle of no where on your first visit to Japan.This is why I think if the flights,hotels etc were more in line with other places you would see a lot more westerners visiting Japan.

Comment

Originally posted by nish221
              Also the current generation of Japanese all have had English throughout their
              schooling, so at least they can read it all.
              "Uh-oh! The truck have started to move!"

Originally posted by lazyboy97O
              Also, the Japanese eat up Americana.
              I don't think it's so much this as it is that so much of the park's most loyal base have already been to DL. Back when DL was the parks flagship (before the AP explosion and before WDW became huge), you'd see Asian tourists at DL everywhere. It probably had a lot to do with the economy at the time, the Japanese were buying up 80% of Manhattan and setting themselves up for their current recession, so it was reasonably priced to go to DL and spend as much time as you liked there.

The people who were big buisness for the park around opening were, of course, the people who had been to DL and knew the cuisine was a bit off.

Comment

Originally posted by MickeyMania
                I don't think it's so much this as it is that so much of the park's most loyal base have already been to DL.
                Actually, Americana is a HUGE reason. There's only one Japanese restraunt at TDL because of a thinkng that since they're in Japan, they can get Japanese food anywhere. American foods are truly special, so since DL is special, they don't need too much Japanese foods to remind them that they're still in Japan.

And, like my Japanese instructor, Morioka-sensei, said -- Japanese tend to blindly follow whatever America is doing. America is huge in Japan. They even try to pattern their government after our's while trying to keep the Imperial status.
                -Tim

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X